Very real chance the Big 10 title game is irrelevant.

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2018, 2:02:48 PM11/29/18
Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.

But what happens if Oklahoma loses with no defense and Bama wins?

Would that not put Ohio State in the playoff REGARDLESS of the result with Northwestern??

You can't put in Michigan, and they won't put in UCF.

Mike

JGibson

Nov 29, 2018, 2:16:27 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:02:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.
>
> But what happens if Oklahoma loses with no defense and Bama wins?
>
> Would that not put Ohio State in the playoff REGARDLESS of the result with Northwestern??

Ohio State's not getting in if they lose to Northwestern. In the scenario where both Ohio State and Oklahoma lose, the SEC championship game loser gets in.

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2018, 2:20:37 PM11/29/18
Forcing a replay of a game in which Bama is a 14-point favorite this time and I think is easy Money for Nothing and Chicks For Free at that level.

Mike

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 29, 2018, 6:15:48 PM11/29/18
That sound you’ll heat us TV sets switching to Soviet Idol or Hallmark Channel or Puppy Bowl or some such.

Irish Ranger

Nov 29, 2018, 9:21:43 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:02:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.

Not necessarily. If Ohio State and Oklahoma both win it will be a close call. The Buckeyes
lost to Purdue but just beat #4 Michigan by a wide margin. And, Michigan had the #1
defense in the country.

> But what happens if Oklahoma loses with no defense and Bama wins?

Assuming Ohio State beats Northwestern, they are in.

> Would that not put Ohio State in the playoff REGARDLESS of the result with Northwestern??

No. If Ohio State loses to Northwestern they are out. Just as any team should be that fails
to win its own conference.

> You can't put in Michigan, and they won't put in UCF.
>
> Mike

Irish Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2018, 9:42:55 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 6:21:43 PM UTC-8, Irish Ranger wrote:
> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:02:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.
>
> Not necessarily. If Ohio State and Oklahoma both win it will be a close call. The Buckeyes
> lost to Purdue but just beat #4 Michigan by a wide margin. And, Michigan had the #1
> defense in the country.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

(Not flaming you -- that D got Ex-Fucking-Posed. So bad that the announcer ADMITTED that, without fouling, they couldn't defend the pass.)

(Seriously, 2nd quarter, after one of several PI calls. Seemed like every ball 15 yards and past had a yellow flag flying after it.)

I think the Committee has made that call, no matter how close it might be, I think they made that call by putting Oklahoma 5 and Ohio State 6 in that order.

> > But what happens if Oklahoma loses with no defense and Bama wins?
>
> Assuming Ohio State beats Northwestern, they are in.

I don't think it matters.

I understand how it should work, but...

> > Would that not put Ohio State in the playoff REGARDLESS of the result with Northwestern??
>
> No. If Ohio State loses to Northwestern they are out. Just as any team should be that fails
> to win its own conference.

... Pedophile State would like a word with you.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2018, 9:43:41 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 3:15:48 PM UTC-8, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> That sound you’ll heat us TV sets switching to Soviet Idol or Hallmark Channel or Puppy Bowl or some such.

So they can all watch Mr. Yackov...

(or you can call him Bob??)

Mike

Irish Ranger

Nov 29, 2018, 9:54:28 PM11/29/18
I won't argue but let's be honest. The Penn State football program was the victim of a terrible self
inflicted wound. I think a lot of people just wanted them out of sight - like Joe Pa's statue.

Irish Mike

JGibson

Nov 29, 2018, 10:06:21 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 9:21:43 PM UTC-5, Irish Ranger wrote:
> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:02:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.
>
> Not necessarily. If Ohio State and Oklahoma both win it will be a close call. The Buckeyes
> lost to Purdue but just beat #4 Michigan by a wide margin. And, Michigan had the #1
> defense in the country.

But what reason would they have to switch Oklahoma and Ohio State next week that didn't have this week? Oklahoma has the better championship opponent, Oklahoma is currently ranked higher, and unlike the first year when Ohio State jumped TCU & Baylor, there is going to be no "13th data point argument." Although I really think that was just a way to jump the marquis program over the non-marquis programs. You won't have that this year since Oklahoma and Ohio State are both top tier programs.

Irish Ranger

Nov 29, 2018, 10:53:42 PM11/29/18
We'll see how well Ohio State and Oklahoma do in their respective play off games. Oklahoma is an
eight point favorite over Texas but Texas already beat them once this year. So go Long Horns!

Irish Mike

RoddyMcCorley

Nov 29, 2018, 11:39:53 PM11/29/18
If Georgia loses they don't get in, period. If Bama loses a good, close
game, they probably get in. If UO and OSU lose or really look shitty,
that opens the door UCF. Not saying that they will surely get in, but
the nature of the selection committee leaves the door open.

If the process was purely formulaic like it had been, then you don't
need a committee.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

JGibson

Nov 29, 2018, 11:47:50 PM11/29/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 11:39:53 PM UTC-5, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
> On 11/29/2018 2:16 PM, JGibson wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:02:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Oklahoma is in with a win and a Bama win.
> >>
> >> But what happens if Oklahoma loses with no defense and Bama wins?
> >>
> >> Would that not put Ohio State in the playoff REGARDLESS of the result with Northwestern??
> >
> > Ohio State's not getting in if they lose to Northwestern. In the scenario where both Ohio State and Oklahoma lose, the SEC championship game loser gets in.
> >

> If Georgia loses they don't get in, period. If Bama loses a good, close
> game, they probably get in. If UO and OSU lose or really look shitty,
> that opens the door UCF. Not saying that they will surely get in, but
> the nature of the selection committee leaves the door open.
>
> If the process was purely formulaic like it had been, then you don't
> need a committee.

Yeah, but the committee has already shown where they stand on UCF by putting Michigan above them. I think UCF is at their ceiling. If Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose, I can't see any of them falling past Michigan, and Michigan is basically locked in above UCF. I don't think beating Memphis again is going to have much leverage.

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 12:29:58 AM11/30/18
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 6:54:28 PM UTC-8, Irish Ranger wrote:

> I won't argue but let's be honest. The Penn State football program was the victim of a terrible self
> inflicted wound. I think a lot of people just wanted them out of sight - like Joe Pa's statue.

A wound which should've been fatal -- but it's clear that was a rogue Committee member, frankly.

To give them the shot meant ESPN could push them to the title.

Mike (Further justifying the garbage.)

RSFC Moderator

Nov 30, 2018, 8:42:34 AM11/30/18
I think any team that loses Saturday should be out. If 2 of Pitt, NW, and Texas win, and UCF wins then UCF should be in.

Taking a 2 loss team that didn't win it's conference above them would be deeply wrong.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 30, 2018, 8:58:29 AM11/30/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:21:41 -0800 (PST), Irish Ranger
<irishra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>No. If Ohio State loses to Northwestern they are out. Just as any team should be that fails
>to win its own conference.

>Irish Mike

I'm surprised that you continue to eliminate Notre Dame. Do you have
to go to confession for that?

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 30, 2018, 9:03:27 AM11/30/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:42:52 -0800 (PST), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>(Seriously, 2nd quarter, after one of several PI calls. Seemed like every ball 15 yards and past had a yellow flag flying after it.)

I have watched football since 1934. There were more PI calls in that
game than any other game I have ever seen.

Hugh

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2018, 9:22:22 AM11/30/18
I think UCF could jump Michigan if anyone had to care about it(like it actually mattered)....Michigan is a 2 loss team that looked horrific in their last game and really has a paucity of good wins(Penn State and......Michigan State is their crappy 2nd best win?). You could easily justify the switch based on one additional game for UCF and a conference title recalculation at end of year. which they say they do. And they don't need a lot of 'leverage' to jump one team they are just behind who didn't play. dont see how the committee is 'locked in' to that. Maybe they put them above michigan with a win and maybe they don't, but they certainly havent made a committment not to just by this weeks rankings.

UCF's shot is probably this: OU and tOSU lose obviously. Then Alabama just demolishes georgia....48-10 or something. I do think the committee wouldnt give uga the 4 seed under those circumstances....think about the optics of that. Not only would they be giving a 2 loss team that got killed in their last game the 4 seed, but that would set up bama-georgia again, and if that game is a blowout tommorrow I have to feel that the committee wouldnt feel great about a rematch in the semis. They would take a lot of shit for that.

ucf is only -3 tommorrow anyways

JGibson

Nov 30, 2018, 10:11:43 AM11/30/18
It might be wrong, but the committee just ranked undefeated UCF behind 2-loss Michigan this past week, so what would change?

I suppose with the injured QB, they can say they were being cautious last week and if UCF wins convincingly, they can say they were convinced. But will they? Of course, this is going to require the scenario where NW and Texas win, so it doesn't seem likely to come to this anyway.

J25...@protonmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 10:53:58 AM11/30/18
Currently neither Michigan or UCF has a conference championship on their resume. If they win tomorrow, UCF will have a conference championship on their resume. That’s why the committee would, and probably will, move UCF above Michigan if they win tomorrow.

Irish Ranger

Nov 30, 2018, 12:04:16 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:21:41 -0800 (PST), Irish Ranger
> wrote:
>
> >No. If Ohio State loses to Northwestern they are out. Just as any team should be that fails
> >to win its own conference.
>
> >Irish Mike
>
> I'm surprised that you continue to eliminate Notre Dame. Do you have
> to go to confession for that?
>
> Hugh

I've never eliminated the Fighting Irish. They are undefeated and ranked 3rd
nationally. Notre Dame is definitely in the final four.

Irish Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 30, 2018, 12:52:42 PM11/30/18
ND is not a conference champion which you continue to post, ad
infinitum, should be a standard requirement.

R U saying Catholic Us are exceptions?

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 30, 2018, 1:04:08 PM11/30/18
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 07:11:40 -0800 (PST), JGibson
<james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It might be wrong, but the committee just ranked undefeated UCF behind 2-lo=
>ss Michigan this past week, so what would change?

In theory UM plays in a tougher conference than UCF so the committee
apparently considered the theoretical difference.

Any team can have a bad game and get clobbered - OSU is the perfect
example.

The World Series is not between the majors and the minors. UCF is a
fine team in a minor league. David does not slay Goliath every day -
but he did once.

Hugh

RoddyMcCorley

Nov 30, 2018, 6:18:15 PM11/30/18
Pretty much my point. Not a lot of risk to the committee in taking UCF
over teams that probably are going to get pasted by Bama and Clempson.

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 7:38:59 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 5:42:34 AM UTC-8, RSFC Moderator wrote:

> I think any team that loses Saturday should be out. If 2 of Pitt, NW, and Texas win, and UCF wins then UCF should be in.
>
> Taking a 2 loss team that didn't win it's conference above them would be deeply wrong.

"Should be" is not the issue.

I think the Committee sent the message loud and clear on Tuesday -- and the only question of the AAC title game is if UCF decides to erect the finger again at the entire process.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 7:39:54 PM11/30/18
And basically had the announcer admitting that if the refs call the rules, Michigan can't play defense.

Kinda tells you something about that #1 defense, don't it?

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 7:43:46 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 6:22:22 AM UTC-8, michael anderson wrote:

> I think UCF could jump Michigan if anyone had to care about it(like it actually mattered)....Michigan is a 2 loss team that looked horrific in their last game and really has a paucity of good wins(Penn State and......Michigan State is their crappy 2nd best win?). You could easily justify the switch based on one additional game for UCF and a conference title recalculation at end of year. which they say they do. And they don't need a lot of 'leverage' to jump one team they are just behind who didn't play. dont see how the committee is 'locked in' to that. Maybe they put them above michigan with a win and maybe they don't, but they certainly havent made a committment not to just by this weeks rankings.

I think they have made that commitment on the basis of what it really means: UCF can't make the tournament, no matter what.

Michigan is not qualified. The fact they aren't qualified and above UCF indicates that they don't think UCF is qualified either. Hence my opinion, which is the premise of this thread: If Alabama and Texas win, it probably does not matter what Ohio State does -- unless you seriously want to consider jumping Texas 10-4.

> UCF's shot is probably this: OU and tOSU lose obviously. Then Alabama just demolishes georgia....48-10 or something. I do think the committee wouldnt give uga the 4 seed under those circumstances....think about the optics of that. Not only would they be giving a 2 loss team that got killed in their last game the 4 seed, but that would set up bama-georgia again, and if that game is a blowout tommorrow I have to feel that the committee wouldnt feel great about a rematch in the semis. They would take a lot of shit for that.

But it would be the way to basically finish the job on UCF.

Given this week's ratings, though, really, there is little other option than either:

Georgia (see above)
Ohio State (my supposition)
or Michigan (reversing my supposition)

> ucf is only -3 tommorrow anyways

True. And a lot of people are taking Memphis.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 7:44:41 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 9:04:16 AM UTC-8, Irish Ranger wrote:
> On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:21:41 -0800 (PST), Irish Ranger
> > wrote:
> >
> > >No. If Ohio State loses to Northwestern they are out. Just as any team should be that fails
> > >to win its own conference.
> >
> > >Irish Mike
> >
> > I'm surprised that you continue to eliminate Notre Dame. Do you have
> > to go to confession for that?

> I've never eliminated the Fighting Irish. They are undefeated and ranked 3rd
> nationally. Notre Dame is definitely in the final four.

I think, Hugh, Irish Mike just basically already gave them their spot.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 7:45:56 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 10:04:08 AM UTC-8, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> The World Series is not between the majors and the minors. UCF is a
> fine team in a minor league. David does not slay Goliath every day -
> but he did once.

There's your argument for removing the Go5 from the CFP.

But then I can't rank them among the first-tier teams at any number, for that very reason.

They'd be #1 in the "minor league".

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 30, 2018, 8:05:51 PM11/30/18
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:39:51 -0800 (PST), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:
Predadgumcisely.

Hugh

Irish Ranger

Nov 30, 2018, 8:17:59 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 12:52:42 PM UTC-5, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:04:13 -0800 (PST), Irish Ranger
If a team is in a conference, they should have to win their conference
to play for the national championship. ND is an independent, which
means they are not in a conference. Can you follow that - or do I
need to use bigger letters and smaller words?

Irish Mike

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2018, 10:58:37 PM11/30/18
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 9:11:43 AM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
> On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 8:42:34 AM UTC-5, RSFC Moderator wrote:

> > > Yeah, but the committee has already shown where they stand on UCF by putting Michigan above them. I think UCF is at their ceiling. If Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose, I can't see any of them falling past Michigan, and Michigan is basically locked in above UCF. I don't think beating Memphis again is going to have much leverage.
> >
> > I think any team that loses Saturday should be out. If 2 of Pitt, NW, and Texas win, and UCF wins then UCF should be in.
> >
> > Taking a 2 loss team that didn't win it's conference above them would be deeply wrong.
>
> It might be wrong, but the committee just ranked undefeated UCF behind 2-loss Michigan this past week, so what would change?

ummm....they would be conference champions and have one more win over a top 35ish type team. While those two factors arent exactly Georgia beating Alabama level significant, they may be enough to jump *one freaking spot* over a team that didnt play.

A more likely reason,imo, the committee wouldnt have them jump Michigan is that they don't want them to close to the top 4....either way it doesnt matter. And they probably lose tomm anyways

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 1, 2018, 8:21:27 AM12/1/18
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 17:17:57 -0800 (PST), Irish Ranger
<irishra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I've never eliminated the Fighting Irish. They are undefeated and ranked 3rd
>> >nationally. Notre Dame is definitely in the final four.
>> >
>> >Irish Mike
>>
>> ND is not a conference champion which you continue to post, ad
>> infinitum, should be a standard requirement.
>>
>> R U saying Catholic Us are exceptions?
>>
>> Hugh
>
>If a team is in a conference, they should have to win their conference
>to play for the national championship. ND is an independent, which
>means they are not in a conference.

I knew if I persisted you would see the ignorance of your previous
comments and rephrase them. You are not much slower than my 12 year
old granddaughter so I am glad to help.

>Can you follow that - or do I
>need to use bigger letters and smaller words?

You are pedalling as fast as you can already - but hold on to your
dreams. They might start offering student loans for clown schools.

Hugh

unclejr

Dec 1, 2018, 10:38:06 AM12/1/18
Did Ohio State win their conference in 2016? They went to the playoffs that year over Penn State, the team who actually won the conference.

Can you follow that? Or do I need to use bigger letters and smaller words?

Ken Olson

Dec 2, 2018, 3:19:58 AM12/2/18
It was wrong and still is wrong.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 2, 2018, 10:29:54 AM12/2/18
>> On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 7:17:59 PM UTC-6, Irish Ranger wrote:

>It was wrong and still is wrong.

I have my doubts that was your opinion BEFORE it happened.

Your being consistently wrong is, at least, consistent.

Hugh

Ken Olson

Dec 3, 2018, 2:51:38 AM12/3/18
That was my reply. I've always felt this way.

KO

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 3, 2018, 6:23:34 AM12/3/18
I musta screwed the pooch. Excuse me.