Interesting Comments on Drug Costs..

agavi...@gmail.com

May 14, 2017, 3:45:40 PM5/14/17

xyzzy

May 15, 2017, 9:59:04 AM5/15/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 3:45:40 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://catalyst.phrma.org/why-wont-the-insurance-industry-tell-the-truth-about-medicine-costs

It is interesting but it also begs the question of why drug pricing, as well as all other medical pricing, is so varied and opaque that it's easy to spin those numbers any way you want.

This argument leaves off IMO that one way PBMs and insurance companies are holding down drug prices is by only covering an older, less effective formula of a drug, and/or by excluding coverage for expensive drugs altogether.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 15, 2017, 10:13:28 AM5/15/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 2:45:40 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://catalyst.phrma.org/why-wont-the-insurance-industry-tell-the-truth-about-medicine-costs

If there ever was an industry begging for some strong disclosure laws, it's healthcare.

Doug

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 15, 2017, 11:58:05 AM5/15/17
On Mon, 15 May 2017 06:59:00 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>---
>http://www.avg.com

R&D plus approval is costly. But I hear too many doctors are in
"collusion" with pharmas. I have 5 regular doctor visits per year and
every time I'm there some gal dressed by a designer comes in with her
laptop and a satchel full of samples.

Our oldest son was in considerable back pain and a "quack" doctor kept
upping dosages until he had a problem - opiods but not too serious.
That's past now. But I never realized that people like us would ever
have that sort of problem. If we do, others must.

I still don't know whether it's doctor ignorance, strong patient
personality or overbook appointments. My doctors take time to educate
me.

I almost waited too long to go to the doctor last week - I have
pneumonia. I just did not feel bad enough to think something was
wrong. We're blessed anyhow. 89 and 87 and still pretty
self-sufficient at home - cleaning lady once a week.

Hugh

Ken Olson

May 15, 2017, 4:34:28 PM5/15/17
Take care and get well soon.

michael anderson

May 15, 2017, 6:45:38 PM5/15/17
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 8:59:04 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 3:45:40 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > http://catalyst.phrma.org/why-wont-the-insurance-industry-tell-the-truth-about-medicine-costs
>
> It is interesting but it also begs the question of why drug pricing, as well as all other medical pricing, is so varied and opaque that it's easy to spin those numbers any way you want.
>
> This argument leaves off IMO that one way PBMs and insurance companies are holding down drug prices is by only covering an older, less effective formula of a drug

the problem is a lot of the time there is no evidence a drug is less effective. new doesnt always mean better.

Prescribers across multiple specialties(and mine is probably the biggest offender here) are guilty of this- prescribing a 600 dollar/month drug when one exists for 5 dollars/month that the evidence shows works roughly as well(or doesn't work that well just as good).

Unfortunately, I have drug reps coming up to me all the time when I point this out and say "well it's ok because most of these patients have medicare or medicaid"(and they cover pretty much everything, at least in my specialty) with minimal effort....

Thats why I'm amazed at the idea that going medicare for all would be such an improvement in efficiency. They can't even figure out how to deny coverage for 9000 dollar a year drugs when you can try an 80 dollar a year drug first.

I know a prescriber who wastes *AT LEAST* 2 million dollars annually of medicaid money with these prescribing habits....but hey, "it's allright because medicaid will cover it".....

agavi...@gmail.com

May 15, 2017, 7:51:35 PM5/15/17
It's definitely an mess. Can't blame anyone for protecting their revenue.

Some dued

May 15, 2017, 8:32:43 PM5/15/17
So you are for MORE government oversight and regulation?

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 16, 2017, 8:14:04 AM5/16/17
On Mon, 15 May 2017 16:34:29 -0400, Ken Olson <kol...@freedomnet.org>
wrote:

>> I almost waited too long to go to the doctor last week - I have
>> pneumonia. I just did not feel bad enough to think something was
>> wrong. We're blessed anyhow. 89 and 87 and still pretty
>> self-sufficient at home - cleaning lady once a week.
>>
>> Hugh
>>

>Take care and get well soon.

Thankee. As usual I only felt bad one night so I thought nothing was
wrong.

My only apparent problem is a wheeze at night which keeps me awake. My
wheeze on rsfc invites sleep often.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 16, 2017, 8:17:44 AM5/16/17
On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:45:35 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Prescribers across multiple specialties(and mine is probably the biggest of=
>fender here) are guilty of this- prescribing a 600 dollar/month drug when o=
>ne exists for 5 dollars/month that the evidence shows works roughly as well=
>(or doesn't work that well just as good).

Don't prescribers have more of an obligation to serve the patient in
all respects than you do the reps?

Medicare doesn't have money - it's taxpayer money. Tax payer? That's
you.

Ken Olson

May 17, 2017, 12:16:14 AM5/17/17
I've found my CPAP helps with that.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 17, 2017, 9:13:33 AM5/17/17
On Wed, 17 May 2017 00:16:17 -0400, Ken Olson <kol...@freedomnet.org>
wrote:

>On 5/16/2017 8:14 AM, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

>> My only apparent problem is a wheeze at night which keeps me awake. My
>> wheeze on rsfc invites sleep often.
>>
>> Hugh

>I've found my CPAP helps with that.

My wife insisted I go to the doctor again - stronger antis this time -
they worked.

I don't believe anyone is more blessed than I am.

I'm not sorry I disappointed darkstar.