Moving to the worst place in America

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Apr 26, 2017, 12:32:56 PM4/26/17
Great read about a WaPo writer who calls a town in Minnesota the worst place to live - and then moves there - and finds he likes it.

http://www.inforum.com/news/region/4255874-washington-post-reporter-who-insulted-red-lake-falls-minn-now-making-his-home

xyzzy

Apr 26, 2017, 1:19:10 PM4/26/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:32:56 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> Great read about a WaPo writer who calls a town in Minnesota the worst place to live - and then moves there - and finds he likes it.
>
> http://www.inforum.com/news/region/4255874-washington-post-reporter-who-insulted-red-lake-falls-minn-now-making-his-home

This is an old-ish story, I read it last year.

I think they made a movie about this in the 1980s... Doc Hollywood.

it is a cool story though.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Apr 26, 2017, 1:21:15 PM4/26/17
Yeah - saw the bit where it "was all over social media" and honestly don't recall it at all

JGibson

Apr 26, 2017, 1:35:32 PM4/26/17
Doc Hollywood came out in 1991. Northern Exposure, a TV show in part around this theme, started in 1990.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Apr 26, 2017, 1:44:14 PM4/26/17
Green Acres way before that

xyzzy

Apr 26, 2017, 2:08:40 PM4/26/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 1:35:32 PM UTC-4, JGibson wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 1:19:10 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:32:56 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> > > Great read about a WaPo writer who calls a town in Minnesota the worst place to live - and then moves there - and finds he likes it.
> > >
> > > http://www.inforum.com/news/region/4255874-washington-post-reporter-who-insulted-red-lake-falls-minn-now-making-his-home
> >
> > This is an old-ish story, I read it last year.
> >
> > I think they made a movie about this in the 1980s... Doc Hollywood.
> >
> > it is a cool story though.
>
> Doc Hollywood came out in 1991.

Any movie starring Michael J Fox is 1980s, no matter when it actually came out.

> Northern Exposure, a TV show in part around this theme, started in 1990.

Great show. Did you know:

1. Current FX series The Americans has the same producer as NE (Joshua Brand)

2. NE was originally supposed to be set in a resort town in Florida. Even though Alaska is what gave the show its quirky appeal the producers kept insisting it was character driven and the setting wasn't very important.

xyzzy

Apr 26, 2017, 2:19:07 PM4/26/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:32:56 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> Great read about a WaPo writer who calls a town in Minnesota the worst place to live - and then moves there - and finds he likes it.
>
> http://www.inforum.com/news/region/4255874-washington-post-reporter-who-insulted-red-lake-falls-minn-now-making-his-home

btw I kinda wonder where this leads. Will there now be an influx of peace-seeking yuppies into places like Red Lake Falls, followed by inevitable griping that the newcomers are ruining everything?

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Apr 26, 2017, 3:04:33 PM4/26/17
Prolly - esp amongst those w/ kids. The pre-kid yuppies won't like - but those with kids will *love* - no competing for schools, kids can play sports and participate, yard to play in, don't have to hover watch them all the time etc etc etc.

If only they had those sorts of places closer to the city - you know....sort of surrounding the urban area? Maybe close enough you could take a train to work?

JGibson

Apr 26, 2017, 3:11:17 PM4/26/17
Actually, I didn't know either of those. The setting seemed pretty important to me for Fleischman's character. I mean, it could have been a different remote place but I don't think resort town in Florida would have worked.

I got to stop and take a picture in Roslyn, WA, outside the Roslyn Cafe, which was changed to Roslyn's Cafe for the show.

xyzzy

Apr 26, 2017, 3:25:07 PM4/26/17
I figure when a craft-beer joint opens in Red Lake Falls, it'll be time to find a new Shangri-La.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Apr 26, 2017, 4:09:51 PM4/26/17
lol - prolly have to go to Fargo for that

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Apr 26, 2017, 4:12:15 PM4/26/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 11:32:56 AM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> Great read about a WaPo writer who calls a town in Minnesota the worst place to live - and then moves there - and finds he likes it.
>
> http://www.inforum.com/news/region/4255874-washington-post-reporter-who-insulted-red-lake-falls-minn-now-making-his-home

Reminds me of an article I read about Minneapolis. Headhunters hate Minneapolis because they can't get people to move there, and, if the do move there, they can't get them to leave.

Doug

agavi...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2017, 4:18:17 PM4/26/17
I read a great book last year, Dispatches from Pluto, about/by an English writer that moved from NY to the Mississippi Delta.

Great read.

Ken Olson

Apr 26, 2017, 6:50:42 PM4/26/17
If there's train service, there's a high probability that you're near
the worst place in America. ;)

jim brown

Apr 27, 2017, 10:28:02 AM4/27/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:19:10 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
Cant bring up Doc Hollywood without this link:

https://www.aznude.com/mrskin/juliewarner/dochollywood/doc-warner1a-cmb-hi.html

NSFW!!!!! (and try to focus on the left half of the screen only!!)