The more I read about this las Vegas nfl stadium deal....

michael anderson

May 23, 2017, 6:04:14 PM5/23/17
The more I want to vomit.

Read the whole deadspin article today and it is mind boggling...

The citizens of the 40th largest media market are on the hook for 750 mill+ in a pure giveaway(it will likely be much more). Wow. Yeah it will be financed through hotel taxes/tourists, but thats 750 mill of lost opportunity cost. Wow.

And now they are going to have to use some of the gas tax money to to pay for upkeep and part of it.

And Las Vegas gets NOTHING from it. They can charge any rent. They can't charge anything forparking(the raiders get all that). The raiders get ALL the revenue streams from the stadium.

I wish the city where I'm buying my house would pay for about half of it, then pay for all the utilities and upkeep....oh and then I'll rent it out.

Jesus.

And the raiders had NO LEVERAGE. none. Every other city had told them to rsfck off. Frustrating.

unclejr

May 24, 2017, 12:19:36 AM5/24/17
I could understand your concern if: a. you are a Raider fan, or b. you live in Las Vegas.

Outside of those two criteria, I don't see how this affects you one way or the other.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

May 24, 2017, 8:05:12 AM5/24/17
Legalize prostitution in LV. Solved. I'll take a consultant's fee, spell my name right on the check.

dnrapp

May 24, 2017, 9:17:24 AM5/24/17
The city will get the $750 million back it the money spent by the 15-20k people who will come into Vegas for games and events and spend $200-300 a person around the city while they are there.

Plus the hotel tax is supposed to go away once the $750 is raised. I think they said that should be 10 years.

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 9:32:41 AM5/24/17
I'm on mia's side on this one. Will 15-20k people really be coming into the city that weren't going to before?

Read this article on sports stadiums:

http://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 9:33:28 AM5/24/17

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 9:50:21 AM5/24/17
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 6:04:14 PM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> The more I want to vomit.
>
> Read the whole deadspin article today and it is mind boggling...
>
> The citizens of the 40th largest media market

This part of the criticism I don't really get. 32 teams - if they dip into the 40s, it doesn't seem too bad to me. Besides, the NFL already has teams in lesser markets - New Orleans at #50 and Buffalo at #53.

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 11:28:56 AM5/25/17
true...but note that the teams in lesser markets(NO, buffalo, GB most obvious exception) have a history of rabid and/or very committed fan bases where the team is very much part of the local culture.

I doubt that Vegas is going to have that.

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 11:30:09 AM5/25/17
lmao....there is no way tens of thousands of people are going to roll into vegas and spend money around the city for games that otherwise wouldn't be in vegas.

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 12:02:31 PM5/25/17
what they are going to get is a small % of the locals to come and a small % of the people who are already in vegas to come. Will that be enough to fill the stadium? Probably....at least enough to sell the tickets(a lot will probably go unused)...

dnrapp

May 26, 2017, 11:26:50 PM5/26/17
you must have ever watched a game being played in San Diego, Tampa bay and Miami there are large amounts of people rooting for the visiting teams and most of them don't live there. there are even travel companies who only do trips to out of town games for fans

michael anderson

May 27, 2017, 5:02:06 PM5/27/17
actually most of them do. It's known that nfl fans, of certain teams especially, are scattered all over the country. Walk into any popular sports bar and you'll see at least a dozen different team jerseys being worn.

Now what you may occasionally see is a raider fan who doesn't live in the area come to watch the raiders play, depending on whether or not he is closer to another nfl city that will play the raiders. but certainly not ten thousand+ weekly.....