Why does College Football hate the casual fan?

RSFC Moderator

Dec 31, 2015, 12:02:58 PM12/31/15
Seriously.

I'm more than a casual fan--- I'd very much like to see U$C play Whisky. But not until 2am--- can't do it. I'm a WVU alum, but I hope the Mountaineer game (which is in the same slot on Sat) is a blowout, because I'm not 20 and don't stay up that late.[1]

New Years Eve playoff games stink. Fans having to choose between the wife and CF, is not where CF wants to be. Chances of me watching playoff games not involving an Alma Mater drop dramatically if the game is on NYE rather than New Years (or even J2 or D30 or D23 or J8). That makes me grumpy.[2]

BTW, happy new year.

-rsfcm

[1] Granted, I probably will if it's close.
[2] grumpier

JGibson

Dec 31, 2015, 12:37:01 PM12/31/15
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 12:02:58 PM UTC-5, RSFC Moderator wrote:
> Seriously.
>
> I'm more than a casual fan--- I'd very much like to see U$C play Whisky. But not until 2am--- can't do it. I'm a WVU alum, but I hope the Mountaineer game (which is in the same slot on Sat) is a blowout, because I'm not 20 and don't stay up that late.[1]

I didn't even make it to the start of the Holiday Bowl, let alone the end.

> New Years Eve playoff games stink. Fans having to choose between the wife and CF, is not where CF wants to be. Chances of me watching playoff games not involving an Alma Mater drop dramatically if the game is on NYE rather than New Years (or even J2 or D30 or D23 or J8). That makes me grumpy.[2]

Yes, I agree with this. Not sure what chance I have of actually watching the Alabama / Michigan State semifinal. But I will watch the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. And right now, I'm watching the Peach Bowl.

agavi...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 2:05:37 PM12/31/15
It's a qualified yes.

They don't give a rat's ass about you, because you're already paying the $30/mo for ESPN.

However, there are more games on TV than just five years ago. Don't even think about the 80s where we still just got a few games per week.

Eric Ramon

Dec 31, 2015, 2:14:09 PM12/31/15
the 1960s had one per week, no? And a big deal was the Halftime Scoreboard, where the Cornell-Columbia game was as important as Alabama-Georgia because each was *a game score!*

And what about the 1940s? Did they have lots of games on radio or was it the Game of the Week? Or not at all?

agavi...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 2:49:22 PM12/31/15
I can't help you with the 40s (Hugh?), nor can I confirm the 60s. But the late 70s and 80s had a game or two per week, then all the bowls on 1 or 2 days.

agavi...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 2:50:19 PM12/31/15
...and the halftime score was a big deal.

We listened to the radio while hunting or fishing or at the beach. And, occasionally, went to a few games.

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2015, 2:50:40 PM12/31/15
Poring over the agate type in the sports section on Sunday morning for your team's score -- FTW!

dnrapp

Dec 31, 2015, 3:45:02 PM12/31/15
I know what you mean. Starting a New Year 6 Bowl at 9:00 am on a work day really sucks. hard to chose between work and a Bowl game on TV.

agavi...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 3:49:09 PM12/31/15
Yes. As a kid, I read the box scores before I read anything else in the newspaper.

My kids think the newspaper is that thing that surrounds the crossword.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2015, 6:05:45 PM12/31/15
There was radio in the 40s - a few night games from foreign countries
like TX and MI. State and Ole Miss games were aired in MS sometimes.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2015, 6:07:08 PM12/31/15
You must not have a canary.

Hugh

Marty McMahone

Dec 31, 2015, 11:01:43 PM12/31/15
I wonder if ESPN is regretting the setup after two rather poor games (at least in the 2nd halfs). Doubt many people are sticking with the 2nd game, especially