The Glamour of Travel

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 6:08:37 AM7/12/17

xyzzy

Jul 12, 2017, 10:53:10 AM7/12/17
Not to mention ATC at Washington went down yesterday

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 12:06:58 PM7/12/17
Did you see the big hole in the sky around DC?

Was cool.

xyzzy

Jul 12, 2017, 1:10:59 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:06:58 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Did you see the big hole in the sky around DC?
>
> Was cool.

Yes.

I flew through there on Sunday. If that had happened on my flight, I would have had to land in WV somewhere for fuel.

RoddyMcCorley

Jul 12, 2017, 2:11:58 PM7/12/17
Got home from vacation to Italy two weeks ago. Great trip, but also a
reminder how the little guy gets screwed by the airlines. If you are in
steerage, you get packed in like a sardine. Steerage costs about $1,500
round trip while business/first class is about $5,500 round trip.

On top of possible baggage fees there is a seat fee of $80/ticket to
pick your seat more than 24 hours in advance. So that is another $160
round trip. Fuck them!

Change the tax code to disallow expenses higher than 110% of economy and
we will see better (or more equitable) seating and pricing. When you get
down to it, we all subsidize the business expense write-off.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

xyzzy

Jul 12, 2017, 2:51:12 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:11:58 PM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
> On 7/12/2017 6:08 AM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Thank goodness I'm at home this week.
> >
> > http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/jfk-laguardia-newark-airport-employees-declare-strike-article-1.3318073
> >
> > http://6abc.com/travel/workers-to-strike-at-philadelphia-airport-on-wed/2207560/
> >
> Got home from vacation to Italy two weeks ago. Great trip, but also a
> reminder how the little guy gets screwed by the airlines. If you are in
> steerage, you get packed in like a sardine. Steerage costs about $1,500
> round trip while business/first class is about $5,500 round trip.
>
> On top of possible baggage fees there is a seat fee of $80/ticket to
> pick your seat more than 24 hours in advance. So that is another $160
> round trip. Fuck them!
>
> Change the tax code to disallow expenses higher than 110% of economy and
> we will see better (or more equitable) seating and pricing. When you get
> down to it, we all subsidize the business expense write-off.

Businesses do not spring for those upper class seats for their employees. I know of what I speak here. Please listen to what I am saying.

I doubt hardly anyone pays for first class or business class in cold hard cash, except maybe the very top executives (most of whose compensation is already no deductible) and the cray rich. Almost everyone in the premium cabin is there because of frequent flier status upgrades.

tim.vanwa...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 3:14:00 PM7/12/17
On personal travel, I will pay for first or business if it makes sense financially. For example, went to see family at Christmas with only two weeks lead. Had to fly united. Baggage fees made first class only $100 more. I'm also tall, so usually have to spring for the upgraded legroom. That would have eaten up the rest of that in a hurry. Also, had a 40 minute layover in Denver in December. Plane just a little late and you're sitting in the back of the bus means you might miss a connection.

Under that situation, just paying for first class is a no brainer.

xyzzy

Jul 12, 2017, 3:21:39 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 3:14:00 PM UTC-4, tim.vanwa...@gmail.com wrote:
> On personal travel, I will pay for first or business if it makes sense financially. For example, went to see family at Christmas with only two weeks lead. Had to fly united. Baggage fees made first class only $100 more. I'm also tall, so usually have to spring for the upgraded legroom. That would have eaten up the rest of that in a hurry. Also, had a 40 minute layover in Denver in December. Plane just a little late and you're sitting in the back of the bus means you might miss a connection.
>
> Under that situation, just paying for first class is a no brainer.

I did say "most" people in first class are there because of status. And your post on the American Airlines thread confirms it too.

I've paid for first class on United too, but it was a $99 upgrade offered at check-in, I guess not enough super duper emerald blowjob platinum members on the plane to fill up the first class cabin.

That's still not the same as paying cold hard cash for a first class fare. And I don't think your holiday situation is really a good typical example... I bet that coach class fare would have been damb expensive.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 4:16:37 PM7/12/17
Most businesses put VPs in business over 6 or 8 hours. Some C-level employees always fly first/biz.

I've been in startups that flew anyoneone business over 6 hours. Of course we were making good money.

I've never paid for a biz/1st ticket. Of course, it has been a long my time since I've bought any tickets.