States asked for voter rolls.

Michael Press

Jul 7, 2017, 6:14:05 PM7/7/17
President Trump instituted an examination of state voter rolls.
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R) is the vice chair. Each
state is asked for publicly available information on their
registered voters. Kobach said recently that 14 states and the
District of Columbia had declined the committee’s request for
information.

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/voter-data-request-states-defiance_us_595e5519e4b0615b9e8fca81>

By "publically available' is meant information that people get
_all_ the time; mostly candidates and other parties interested
in campaigning for candidates.

I got curious on how those states voted
in the 2016 presidential election.

Trump Clinton

Arizona 11
California 15
Connecticut 7
Delaware 3
Kentucky 8
Maine 2
Maryland 10
Massachusetts 11
Minnesota 10
Mississippi 6
New York 29
South Carolina 9
South Dakota 3
Virginia 13
Wyoming 3
DC 3
--------------
40 103

--
Michael Press

wolfie

Jul 7, 2017, 7:35:47 PM7/7/17

"Michael Press" wrote

> Each state is asked for publicly available information on their
> registered voters.

They asked for a lot of non-public information too, which
is why the Mississippi SoS told them to jump in the Gulf.

Ken Olson

Jul 7, 2017, 9:17:46 PM7/7/17
Are they afraid that there's evidence of voter fraud? Inquiring minds
want to know.

xyzzy

Jul 7, 2017, 10:04:17 PM7/7/17
I suspect you didn't read the linked article. Some of the states say that information is protected by state law.

Michael Press

Jul 7, 2017, 10:08:29 PM7/7/17
In article <ojpbkg$550$1...@dont-email.me>,
One purpose is to identify people registered in two (or more) states.
Another is to identify people ineligible to vote.

During the Obama administration Florida asked the feds for help
sorting out Florida's voter rolls and the feds were obstructive.

And, as you say, another purpose is to frighten fraudsters.

--
Michael Press

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 8, 2017, 10:56:35 AM7/8/17
On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 15:13:59 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>President Trump instituted an examination of state voter rolls.
>Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R) is the vice chair. Each
>state is asked for publicly available information on their
>registered voters. Kobach said recently that 14 states and the
>District of Columbia had declined the committee’s request for
>information.

States have regulations by which they must abide.

Individuals shouldn't care unless they have something to hide.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Michael Press

Jul 8, 2017, 6:31:25 PM7/8/17
In article <ojp5la$lh2$1...@dont-email.me>, "wolfie" <bgbd...@gte.net>
wrote:
Exactly what information?

Eric Ramon

Jul 8, 2017, 6:34:34 PM7/8/17
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 7:56:35 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> States have regulations by which they must abide.
>
> Individuals shouldn't care unless they have something to hide.

ho hum. I guess that means Trump has something to hide in his tax returns since he shouldn't have cared if we saw them. I know, I know....the old winger trick of saying "that's different, that's not his voter info". Because some of you can't extrapolate.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 9, 2017, 9:05:58 AM7/9/17
You know the answer and refuse to accept it. His income has absolutely
zero to do with his ability to be president. If he was broke that
would not change your mind.

Since he has kids should he post pictures of his penis on social media
now that he is president?

I think his attitude is sufficient proof that he has balls so no
reason to post a picture of them.

Michael Press

Jul 10, 2017, 10:48:01 AM7/10/17
In article <ojp5la$lh2$1...@dont-email.me>, "wolfie" <bgbd...@gte.net>
wrote:

Exactly what information?

xyzzy

Jul 10, 2017, 10:49:55 AM7/10/17
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 10:48:01 AM UTC-4, Michael Press wrote:
> In article <ojp5la$lh2$1...@dont-email.me>, "wolfie" <bgbd...@gte.net>
> wrote:
>
> > "Michael Press" wrote
> >
> > > Each state is asked for publicly available information on their
> > > registered voters.
> >
> > They asked for a lot of non-public information too, which
> > is why the Mississippi SoS told them to jump in the Gulf.
>
> Exactly what information?

What information is public varies by state, but last four digits of the SSN was one of the items states are balking at.

Eric Ramon

Jul 10, 2017, 2:53:31 PM7/10/17
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:05:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:34:32 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
> <ramon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 7:56:35 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> >

> >> States have regulations by which they must abide.
> >>
> >> Individuals shouldn't care unless they have something to hide.
> >>

> >ho hum. I guess that means Trump has something to hide in his tax returns since he shouldn't have cared if we saw them. I know, I know....the old winger trick of saying "that's different, that's not his voter info". Because some of you can't extrapolate.
>
> You know the answer and refuse to accept it. His income has absolutely
> zero to do with his ability to be president.

similarly whatever info is in the voter data has nothing to do with the capability of those people to actually vote.

I see a lot of voter data in my work. What's easily available from companies that have access and that sell the data is what you'd expect: name, address, age, gender, ethnicity (often blank), political registration, when they registered, which elections they voted in, whether they voted at the polling stations or by absentee ballot....that sort of thing. What else does the administration want?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 10, 2017, 6:24:31 PM7/10/17
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:53:29 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
<ramon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:05:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:34:32 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
>> <ramon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >ho hum. I guess that means Trump has something to hide in his tax return=
>s since he shouldn't have cared if we saw them. I know, I know....the old w=
>inger trick of saying "that's different, that's not his voter info". Becaus=
>e some of you can't extrapolate.
>>
>> You know the answer and refuse to accept it. His income has absolutely
>> zero to do with his ability to be president.
>
>similarly whatever info is in the voter data has nothing to do with the cap=
>ability of those people to actually vote.

I don't care whether my voter info is furnished - I have nothing to
hide However I would suppose the request is to attempt to determine
voter fraud. The problem is that the info will be used for biased
purposes and I would not agree to that by any party.

>I see a lot of voter data in my work. What's easily available from companie=
>s that have access and that sell the data is what you'd expect: name, addre=
>ss, age, gender, ethnicity (often blank), political registration, when they=
> registered, which elections they voted in, whether they voted at the polli=
>ng stations or by absentee ballot....that sort of thing. What else does the=
> administration want?

You spoke to a different issue than the one I addressed - what
worthwhile purpose would be served by Trump furnishing his tax data?

Michael Press

Jul 10, 2017, 11:56:32 PM7/10/17
In article <f84ccef5-a4de-4b3c...@googlegroups.com>,
So do not send it. Each state has their laws.
States make good money selling (renting?) voter rolls.
Do not want to give it to somebody who will publish it
for everybody to see. So throw the states some money.
Were this to get to court, which nobody wants,
the states would have to cough up in a New York minute, sans SSN.