Russian Hacking

xyzzy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:29:33 PM6/13/17
Remember when conservatives said it was dishonest to say Russia hacked the election because there was no evidence they had actually hacked official election systems?

Well ....

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-13/russian-breach-of-39-states-threatens-future-u-s-elections

Not sure what do about it... centralizing security may be a solution that backfires because one thing the article concludes is:

" a more likely explanation is that several months of hacking failed to give the attackers the access they needed to master America’s disparate voting systems spread across more than 7,000 local jurisdictions."

Biggest weakness also biggest strength?

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 13, 2017, 2:40:31 PM6/13/17
Quite possibly - there's certainly something to be said for paper ballots. Gotta think internet voting is backburned.

But hey - look at it this way - the Dems can now see a new for strict voter ID laws, right? NO commies allowed

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 2:42:03 PM6/13/17
I don't understand why we can't introduce some sort of verification system. Give me a random id when I vote. After everything is tallied, give everyone access to all the ballots mapped to it's unique random id. I can check that mine is correct, you can check that yours is correct. I can count all the votes in my county if I want to, without knowing who voted which way(s).

That would completely obviate any hacking attempt that tries to change actual votes to tilt an election. What am I missing?

I mean, if we can come up with systems that allow medical researchers access to de-identified patient data (including over-time data, which is the real challenge) - this seems solvable. I'm actually a little uncomfortable that I can't do this sort of validation because for all I know our local machine "trumped" my vote.

Groan.

Cheers.

xyzzy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:51:54 PM6/13/17
How would voter ID prevent this problem?

The problem with voter ID is that its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and it ignores the ones that do.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 13, 2017, 2:56:45 PM6/13/17
Russian hacking!111!1

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 13, 2017, 4:57:50 PM6/13/17
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:29:30 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Remember when conservatives said it was dishonest to say Russia hacked the =
>election because there was no evidence they had actually hacked official el=
>ection systems?

Not me - I said whatever it takes AND up your royal giggy with a woo
woo brush.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Ken Olson

Jun 13, 2017, 6:38:27 PM6/13/17
Government being proactive is a bad thing?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 6:56:06 PM6/13/17
Partisans with the power to disenfranchise "unfriendly" votes by trumping up a problem that doesn't exist is certainly a bad thing.

It'd be nice if we could drop the pretense that GOP would (collectively) be pursuing these measures if they didn't believe things like "the large majority of citizens who don't currently possess a qualifying id tend to vote (D)".

File it in the same folder as those long lines we see every election in cities because Republicans think we should allocate polling stations based on geography, not population. If they tended to carry the urban areas and (D)s the rural areas, how fast do you think they would pivot on that idea?

Cheers.

Ken Olson

Jun 13, 2017, 7:24:05 PM6/13/17
Most rural people these days are smrater than to be (D)s.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 8:31:27 PM6/13/17
I can't keep up. I thought it was Russian collusion.

RoddyMcCorley

Jun 14, 2017, 12:36:34 AM6/14/17
Chalk one up for big, dysfunctional government.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.