What's wrong with this?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 31, 2018, 1:11:58 PM7/31/18

Okay liberals - this is you chance...

1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!

2. Put "GOD" back in America!

3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!

4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody
else.

5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!

6. Language: English only!

7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!

8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!

9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!

10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!

11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our
help! We need it here.

12. Term limits for congress

And most of all.

13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"

Posted by Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2018, 5:07:15 PM7/31/18
1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!

Treat her like any other govt employee who mishandled data and I’m down with that.

2. Put "GOD" back in America!

That’s up to the Christians.

3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!

Guarded.

4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody else.

No. Nor do I think everyone should be on one healthcare plan

5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!

Duh

6. Language: English only!

What about freedom of speech?

7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!

Culture isn’t law.

8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!

No. Just limit welfare temporarily.

9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!

I’m okay with no government freebies to non-citizens except in special circumstances like natural disasters.

10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!

Duh

11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our help! We need it here.

To a degree, yes.

12. Term limits for congress

No.

13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"

No. Freedom of thought, freedom of speech.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 31, 2018, 7:43:44 PM7/31/18
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:07:13 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody else.=
>=20
>
>No. Nor do I think everyone should be on one healthcare plan

I'm surprised you don't think they should walk in our shoes.

>6. Language: English only!=20
>
>What about freedom of speech?

Speech is never free. It takes wars to support the idea.

>12. Term limits for congress=20
>
>No.=20

I have mixed emotions about that one also.

>13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"=20
>
>No. Freedom of thought, freedom of speech.=20

I'm surprised that you abdicate responsibility.

Hugh

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 10:49:17 PM7/31/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> Okay liberals - this is you chance...
>
> 1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!

Hillary was an agent for Trump.

> 2. Put "GOD" back in America!

Only if it is actually God and not the Chaysus that most try to peddle in His place.

> 3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!

You'd also have to set conditions on citizenship of native-borns as well, and deal with those who do not and will not qualify, especially willingly.

> 4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody
> else.

No arguments here.

> 5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!

President first.

> 6. Language: English only!

This is one of those things that you'd have to go with "You want a fucking war, you got a fucking war." Why don't we just take down the Statue of Liberty, because we don't want the tired, poor, or huddling masses.

> 7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!

As long as the 14th comes with it, and that means the protections are for EVERYBODY. The White Right's first move should've been the repeal of the 14th Amendment, for everything it has brought that the Red Hats believe makes America "Not Great".

> 8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!

You want to find another 20M jail beds in this country, because they won't give two fucking shits about robbing your ass.

The only alternative is Martial Law in the cities.

That horse is way too far out of the barn.

> 9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!

Then march them ALL out. By military force.

> 10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!

How many dead bodies you want in the streets?

> 11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our
> help! We need it here.

You need the Army (forget the National Guard and Posse Comitatus) in a number of major cities, with the order to open fire, if you believe half that shit.

> 12. Term limits for congress
>
> And most of all.
>
> 13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"

I pledge no allegiance to a flag that stands for a Republic that needs me dead to be Great.

And the military is simply an arm of the economic power this country still has. The rank and file are OK, the people calling the shots can largely go straight to Hell.

Mike

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2018, 7:27:29 AM8/1/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:43:44 PM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:07:13 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
> <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody else.=
> >=20
> >
> >No. Nor do I think everyone should be on one healthcare plan
>
> I'm surprised you don't think they should walk in our shoes.

I'm surprised you think I should limit my healthcare to whatever a government employee gets.

> >6. Language: English only!=20
> >
> >What about freedom of speech?
>
> Speech is never free. It takes wars to support the idea.

Why the non-sequitor?

Who said anything about the cost of speech?

The word freedom has nothing to do with cost.

> >12. Term limits for congress=20
> >
> >No.=20
>
> I have mixed emotions about that one also.
> >
> >13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"=20
> >
> >No. Freedom of thought, freedom of speech.=20
>
> I'm surprised that you abdicate responsibility.

Again, what's with the non-sequitor? I've not abdicated any responsibility.

I'm surprised that you abdicate the responsibility to uphold others' rights of free speech.

Didn't you swear to defend the constitution?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 1, 2018, 9:15:59 AM8/1/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 04:27:26 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:43:44 PM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

>I'm surprised you think I should limit my healthcare to whatever a government employee gets.

You don't limit what you don't have even if you change "Congress" to
"government employee".

>The word freedom has nothing to do with cost.

Freedom has cost the lives of thousands of military people. If not for
them you would not have it. Thus there is a cost if you value human
life - none if you don't.

>I'm surprised that you abdicate the responsibility to uphold others' rights of free speech.
>
>Didn't you swear to defend the constitution?

I believe that's the paper that says we have equal rights and no laws
about religion. If so, yes.

Usurpation of the rights of others is not freedom of speech whether
blocking public access, hollering FIRE when there is none or mass
killings. Someone gets harmed in all cases. The decision is based on
equal rights, not which is worst - unless we want people at each
other's throats - like now!

Speaking of religion, it's not the law that keeps me from killing,
it's the Bible.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 1, 2018, 9:31:36 AM8/1/18
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:49:15 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> Okay liberals - this is you chance...
>>
>> 1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!
>
>Hillary was an agent for Trump.

Didn't she get fired?

>> 2. Put "GOD" back in America!
>
>Only if it is actually God and not the Chaysus that most try to peddle in His place.

I think it would be sufficient if we put His principles in place.

>> 3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!
>
>You'd also have to set conditions on citizenship of native-borns as well, and deal with those who do not and will not qualify, especially willingly.

Humans always have to have rules - because we are human.

>> 5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!
>
>President first.
>
>> 6. Language: English only!
>
>This is one of those things that you'd have to go with "You want a fucking war, you got a fucking war." Why don't we just take down the Statue of Liberty, because we don't want the tired, poor, or huddling masses.

I think that could be solved by not catering to people who don't speak
English. They could always choose between learning or accepting the
consequences of not.

>> 7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!
>
>As long as the 14th comes with it, and that means the protections are for EVERYBODY. The White Right's first move should've been the repeal of the 14th Amendment, for everything it has brought that the Red Hats believe makes America "Not Great".

I don't understand your problem with the 14th. Born or naturalized is
very clear. The 14th offers no such guarantee to others.

>> 8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!
>
>You want to find another 20M jail beds in this country, because they won't give two fucking shits about robbing your ass.

If they die as a result, soon there would be none left.

>> 9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!
>
>Then march them ALL out. By military force.

Okay.

>> 10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!
>
>How many dead bodies you want in the streets?

How many do I need?

>> 13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"
>
>I pledge no allegiance to a flag that stands for a Republic that needs me dead to be Great.

You never fail to exaggerate your importance to others. Your
importance would not move the needle on any gauge.

But your comments were interesting.

Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2018, 9:58:25 AM8/1/18
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 9:15:59 AM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 04:27:26 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
> <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:43:44 PM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>
> >I'm surprised you think I should limit my healthcare to whatever a government employee gets.
>
> You don't limit what you don't have even if you change "Congress" to
> "government employee".

I don't understand. You originally posited that congress should have the same healthcare that I do.

There are 350,000,000 I's in the United States. For congress to have the same healthcare as "us", that means we have to all have the same healthcare.

I'm not interested in having the same healthcare as some single dude in California I want healthcare options that fit me and my family.

> >The word freedom has nothing to do with cost.
>
> Freedom has cost the lives of thousands of military people. If not for
> them you would not have it. Thus there is a cost if you value human
> life - none if you don't.

My freedom of speech isn't granted by the government or it's employees or patriots or anyone else. My freedom of speech is granted by my willingness to open my mouth and say what I believe. My freedom of speech is protected by my own willingness to accept the consequences of espousing my beliefs, including death.

People gave their lives for many things, but they didn't buy my freedoms. I was endowed with those freedoms by the creator.

Nonetheless, let's not minimize the importance of freedom by conflating the idea of freedom with the idea of pricing.

> >I'm surprised that you abdicate the responsibility to uphold others' rights of free speech.
> >
> >Didn't you swear to defend the constitution?
>
> I believe that's the paper that says we have equal rights and no laws
> about religion. If so, yes.
>
> Usurpation of the rights of others is not freedom of speech whether
> blocking public access, hollering FIRE when there is none or mass
> killings. Someone gets harmed in all cases. The decision is based on
> equal rights, not which is worst - unless we want people at each
> other's throats - like now!

I'm not sure how you got from burning the flag / respecting the military to usurpation of your rights.

No one has asked you to forego your rights by burning a flag or disrespecting the military.

No. Someone is not harmed in all cases.

Hugh, I've said this before and I would hope that you truly consider it. You seem to be aching for a fight all day every day. There are a countless number of threads on RSFC where you endlessly go back and forth exemplifying a desire or need to be proven true, the victor, or whatever. It may be presumptuous of me, but I would hope that a man of your age and experience would seek a more peaceful existence.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 1, 2018, 11:23:14 AM8/1/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 06:58:23 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There are 350,000,000 I's in the United States. For congress to have the s=
>ame healthcare as "us", that means we have to all have the same healthcare.

The same healthcare for us... as much insurance as we can afford,
military guarantees, the UnaffordableACA, Medicare and Medicaid among
others. That's more variety than Heinz. Congress being limited to such
would not require everyone to have the same healthcare options as you
assume.
>,
>I'm not interested in having the same healthcare as some single dude in Cal=
>ifornia I want healthcare options that fit me and my family.

The presumption in the original was that Congressmen have healthcare
privileges far in excess of what we (you and me) have. So the comment
asked why they should not have the same health care. The premise was
never about changing your options.

>> >The word freedom has nothing to do with cost.
>>=20
>> Freedom has cost the lives of thousands of military people. If not for
>> them you would not have it. Thus there is a cost if you value human
>> life - none if you don't.
>
>My freedom of speech isn't granted by the government or it's employees or p=
>atriots or anyone else. My freedom of speech is granted by my willingness =
>to open my mouth and say what I believe. My freedom of speech is protected=
> by my own willingness to accept the consequences of espousing my beliefs, =
>including death.

At the present time you, and everyone else, are enjoying that freedom
WITHOUT consequencies. If you block public access the consequencies
should be a warning by legitimate authorities, with refusal to obey
resulting in death. Your attitude in this exchange, when there are no
consequencies, is the root cause of our divisiveness. You want to play
with problems, not solve them.

>People gave their lives for many things, but they didn't buy my freedoms. =
>I was endowed with those freedoms by the creator.

Rots of ruck with that endowment if not protected by the sacrifice of
lives. PLUS, the Creator told you how to exercise that freedom.

>Nonetheless, let's not minimize the importance of freedom by conflating the=
> idea of freedom with the idea of pricing.

You can't honestly ignore the cost if you wish to have it.

>> >I'm surprised that you abdicate the responsibility to uphold others' rig=
>hts of free speech.
>> >
>> >Didn't you swear to defend the constitution?
>>=20
>> I believe that's the paper that says we have equal rights and no laws
>> about religion. If so, yes.
>>=20
>> Usurpation of the rights of others is not freedom of speech whether
>> blocking public access, hollering FIRE when there is none or mass
>> killings. Someone gets harmed in all cases. The decision is based on
>> equal rights, not which is worst - unless we want people at each
>> other's throats - like now!
>
>I'm not sure how you got from burning the flag / respecting the military to=
> usurpation of your rights.

You are cherry picking by ignoring blocking public access, et. al.

>No one has asked you to forego your rights by burning a flag or disrespecti=
>ng the military.

Burning the flag is not speech.

>No. Someone is not harmed in all cases.

>Hugh, I've said this before and I would hope that you truly consider it. Y=
>ou seem to be aching for a fight all day every day.

That's more right than wrong when limited to people I believe are
enemies of the United States. There are times when I would pay a lot
to be young enough to meet a few of those people in an alley and let
the better man emerge.

> It may be p=
>resumptuous of me, but I would hope that a man of your age and experience w=
>ould seek a more peaceful existence.

That is exactly why I have not met a few people in the alley behind
the school. Words are the only form of competition left to me at my
age - and I will compete as long as I live. The only equality is our
soul.

And your thought is so remarkable when you push for your freedom of
speech but would deny mine.

Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2018, 12:52:04 PM8/1/18
“... but would deny mine. “

This is the problem with our discussions. You argue points not made.

Nowhere did I deny your speech.

I did, however, suggest you consider how positively you use it.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 1, 2018, 5:20:57 PM8/1/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 09:52:02 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>=E2=80=9C... but would deny mine. =E2=80=9C
>
>This is the problem with our discussions. You argue points not made.=20
>
>Nowhere did I deny your speech.=20
>
>I did, however, suggest you consider how positively you use it.

>It may be p=
>resumptuous of me, but I would hope that a man of your age and experience w=
>ould seek a more peaceful existence.

The above quote tells me you don't favor my posts and hope that I will
change. Not a denial TRUE - but, in effect a condemnantion although in
weasel words.

Hugh

Eric Ramon

Aug 1, 2018, 5:32:06 PM8/1/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> Okay liberals - this is you chance...
>
> 1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!

all of them should be.

> 2. Put "GOD" back in America!

which one? Allah? Jehovah? Zeus? The Guy with the White Beard?

> 3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!

open

> 4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody
> else.

as mentioned, we've all got different plans so this is meaningless

> 5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!

eh? Don't they? If not then arrest them.

> 6. Language: English only!

no. I wasn't there but I suspect Lafayette and Kosckiuszko weren't fluent English speakers. And I suspect the grandparents of some of us spoke Spanish, or Russian, or Italian when they arrived.

> 7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!

that's a limited view of culture. For did not the great Chuck Berry sing about hamburgers, drive-ins, freeways, skyscrapers and jukeboxes?

> 8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!

why welfare? (oh, I see.) how about mandatory drug screening for all people on the ballot?

> 9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!

what's a freebie? like food stamps? Those are decided case-by-case.

> 10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!

yes and don't be afraid to take the bloat out of defense spending.

> 11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our
> help! We need it here.

without looking this up I feel this might be one of those pants on fire things. I don't like that "charge them for our help" business.

> 12. Term limits for congress

agreed

> And most of all.
>
> 13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"

respect everything and everybody

> Posted by Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2018, 5:38:04 PM8/1/18
Hugh,
There’s nothing “weasel” about clearly asking you to consider your admitted desire to win arguments, apparently at any personal cost to relationships - at least online.

Not only I, but others have pointed out your willingness to ascribe arguments not made. In this case you did just that.

That you take these disagreements as a personal attack says a lot about this issue.

That RSFC is littered with threads where the only two people going endlessly back and forth are you and someone else says a lot about this issue.

That you ultimately resort to personal attacks says a lot about this issue.

It disappoints me because you’re an otherwise enjoyable person. But, by all means, ignore me and other folks who’ve brought this up and you be you. It’s not like you owe me anything.

However, don’t be surprised when I, like many others here, eventually refuse to waste the effort “discussing” something with you.

Ken Olson

Aug 1, 2018, 6:09:51 PM8/1/18
On 8/1/2018 5:32 PM, Eric Ramon wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> Okay liberals - this is you chance...
>>
>> 1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!
>
> all of them should be.

Agree

>> 2. Put "GOD" back in America!
>
> which one? Allah? Jehovah? Zeus? The Guy with the White Beard?

The Allfather, Odin.

>> 3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!
>
> open

Controlled, but better immigration laws than we have. More streamlined
so as to not take years if someone desires to become a citizen.

>> 4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody
>> else.
>
> as mentioned, we've all got different plans so this is meaningless

Yes

>> 5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!
>
> eh? Don't they? If not then arrest them.

Agree

>> 6. Language: English only!
>
> no. I wasn't there but I suspect Lafayette and Kosckiuszko weren't fluent English speakers. And I suspect the grandparents of some of us spoke Spanish, or Russian, or Italian when they arrived.

Swedish and Dutch here. There should be a compulsion to learn/speak
English in public transactions.

>> 7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!
>
> that's a limited view of culture. For did not the great Chuck Berry sing about hamburgers, drive-ins, freeways, skyscrapers and jukeboxes?

Go Johnny Go

>> 8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!
>
> why welfare? (oh, I see.) how about mandatory drug screening for all people on the ballot?

Functionality should be the standard.

>> 9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!
>
> what's a freebie? like food stamps? Those are decided case-by-case.

As they should be.

>> 10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!
>
> yes and don't be afraid to take the bloat out of defense spending.

We need to get much closer to balanced. Necessary exceptions for
national defense. Cut bloat, but maintain a strong military.

>> 11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our
>> help! We need it here.
>
> without looking this up I feel this might be one of those pants on fire things. I don't like that "charge them for our help" business.

Mixed feelings. We should help those in need w/o charge. We shouldn't
be the defacto military for other countries.

>> 12. Term limits for congress
>
> agreed

Be careful on this one. It hasn't worked all that well in Michigan.

>> And most of all.
>>
>> 13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"
>

> respect everything and everybody

Until they give reason to not have it coming.

--
"We're going to fight racism not with racism, but we're going to fight
with solidarity."

"A sword is never a killer. It is a tool in the killer's hand."
- Seneca

"The hate rolls off my back like hygiene off of Michael Moore."
- Ted Nugent

Eric Ramon

Aug 1, 2018, 6:14:51 PM8/1/18
I find I'm agreeing with Ken on a lot these days. Which is strange but good.

Ken Olson

Aug 1, 2018, 6:19:40 PM8/1/18
On 8/1/2018 6:14 PM, Eric Ramon wrote:
> I find I'm agreeing with Ken on a lot these days. Which is strange but good.

IAWTP. I've always viewed you as a reasonable person overall.

Tom Enright

Aug 1, 2018, 6:30:52 PM8/1/18
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 6:09:51 PM UTC-4, Ken Olson wrote:
> On 8/1/2018 5:32 PM, Eric Ramon wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> >> 6. Language: English only!

> > no. I wasn't there but I suspect Lafayette and Kosckiuszko weren't
> > fluent English speakers. And I suspect the grandparents of some of
> > us spoke Spanish, or Russian, or Italian when they arrived.

> Swedish and Dutch here. There should be a compulsion to learn/speak
> English in public transactions.

When Russian, Dutch, Gaelic, Spanish etc. speakers arrived in the US,
the citizens already here were not made responsible to accommodate
these immigrants. Nobody should be forced to speak any specific
language at any time in their private affairs. However, all teaching,
government information etc. should be in English. Like our ancestors who
arrived in the US not speaking English, the best way to learn was to
immerse yourself in the culture.

BTW: Can we put this whole Statue of Liberty BS to rest? Somebody
bolts a dopey piece of doggerel to some statue and that suddenly
becomes federal law? STFU.

-TE

"If you were a 19th-century Russian peasant and you got to Ellis Island, you’d be living in a tenement on the Lower East Side, but your kids would get an education and move uptown, and your grandkids would be doctors and accountants in Westchester County. And your great-grandchild would be a Harvard-educated environmental activist demanding an end to all this electricity and indoor toilets."

Eric Ramon

Aug 1, 2018, 8:19:50 PM8/1/18
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 3:19:40 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:
> On 8/1/2018 6:14 PM, Eric Ramon wrote:
> > I find I'm agreeing with Ken on a lot these days. Which is strange but good.
> >

> IAWTP. I've always viewed you as a reasonable person overall.
>
> --

my favorite part is the "overall". I chuckled.

Ken Olson

Aug 1, 2018, 9:44:59 PM8/1/18
Just to recognize that we do have differences. But I think we could
still be friends in real life because we can see beyond those
differences to recognize each other as worthwhile people in spite of them.

Ken Olson

Aug 1, 2018, 9:51:56 PM8/1/18
I know that my grandparents didn't want their children to speak the
languages of the "old country", because they wanted them to be
Americans. Plus, that way they could speak Dutch around the kids and
not have them understand what they were saying. My paternal grandfather
didn't speak much Swedish because he wasn't around many people that did.
Now, I'm trying to learn it.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 2, 2018, 7:42:04 AM8/2/18
Our schools are loaded with the children of first gen immigrants. However, the majority of the parents were ESL speakers when they came, so the kids know little to none of their parents old country languages. A few of my friends have said, maybe jokingly, they use those languages in the home for just that reason.

My next door neighbors are almost the opposite. The mother speaks English but is much more comfortable in Arabic. Almost every time we get together her son will translate some of our conversation for her.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2018, 8:40:12 AM8/2/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:38:02 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hugh,
>There=E2=80=99s nothing =E2=80=9Cweasel=E2=80=9D about clearly asking you t=
>o consider your admitted desire to win arguments, apparently at any persona=
>l cost to relationships - at least online.=20
>
>Not only I, but others have pointed out your willingness to ascribe argumen=
>ts not made. In this case you did just that.=20

Not made because of weasel words. What you wanted to say was pretty
clear.

>That you ultimately resort to personal attacks says a lot about this issue.=
>=20

I would hope so.

>However, don=E2=80=99t be surprised when I, like many others here, eventual=
>ly refuse to waste the effort =E2=80=9Cdiscussing=E2=80=9D something with y=
>ou.

People don't respond because they can't compete. Any other reason is a
pitiful excuse.

Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:47:35 AM8/2/18
Sure.

Discussion is a competition.

Got it.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2018, 8:51:21 AM8/2/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:32:03 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
<ramon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:11:58 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> Okay liberals - this is you chance...
>>
>> 1. Hillary: held accountable for her previous wrongs!
>
>all of them should be.

Agreed.

>> 2. Put "GOD" back in America!
>
>which one? Allah? Jehovah? Zeus? The Guy with the White Beard?

I believe in a Creator, a Supreme Being - his name doesn't concern me.

>> 3. Borders: Closed or tightly guarded!
>
>open

The US doesn't have to do that for you. You could move to Cuba and
have the result immediately.

>> 4. Congress: On the same retirement & healthcare plans as everybody
>> else.
>
>as mentioned, we've all got different plans so this is meaningless

The presumption was misstated. It should have said Congress should
have no better plan than everyone else. They are nothing more than our
representatives.

>> 5. Congress: Obey its own laws NOW!
>
>eh? Don't they? If not then arrest them.

Agreed.

>> 6. Language: English only!
>
>no. I wasn't there but I suspect Lafayette and Kosckiuszko weren't fluent English speakers. And I suspect the grandparents of some of us spoke Spanish, or Russian, or Italian when they arrived.

When they arrived!!! If a person chooses to live in this country why
should they not become a real citizen - speak English, respect the
symbols, EARN a living, etc.

>> 7. Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!
>
>that's a limited view of culture. For did not the great Chuck Berry sing about hamburgers, drive-ins, freeways, skyscrapers and jukeboxes?

Agreed.

>> 8. Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before & during Welfare!
>
>why welfare? (oh, I see.) how about mandatory drug screening for all people on the ballot?

and all voters - I'll buy that.

>> 9. Freebies: NONE to Non-Citizens!
>
>what's a freebie? like food stamps? Those are decided case-by-case.

There is only one case - non-citizen.

>> 10. Budget: Balance the damn thing!
>
>yes and don't be afraid to take the bloat out of defense spending.

better yet, whereever bloat occurs.

>> 11. Foreign Countries: Stop giving them our money! Charge them for our
>> help! We need it here.
>
>without looking this up I feel this might be one of those pants on fire things. I don't like that "charge them for our help" business.

I could agree.

>> 12. Term limits for congress
>
>agreed
>

>> And most of all.
>>
>> 13. "RESPECT OUR MILITARY AND OUR FLAG!"
>

>respect everything and everybody

Respect is earned, not given. Following legitimate orders does not
indicate respect.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2018, 8:57:35 AM8/2/18
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:51:55 -0400, Ken Olson <kol...@freedomnet.org>
wrote:

>I know that my grandparents didn't want their children to speak the
>languages of the "old country", because they wanted them to be
>Americans. Plus, that way they could speak Dutch around the kids and
>not have them understand what they were saying. My paternal grandfather
>didn't speak much Swedish because he wasn't around many people that did.
> Now, I'm trying to learn it.

If you have travelled in foreign countries much it's amazing how many
people speak English. It's becoming the common communicator.

If you watch boxing the guy who had to have a translator several
fights ago now understands spoken English - same in baseball.

I have a lot of respect for people who speak several languages.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2018, 12:03:44 PM8/2/18
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 05:47:32 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sure.

>Discussion is a competition.

I view almost everything as competition - people almost always win or
lose. Losing should be a motivator.

>Got it.

Good on ye.

Hugh

Some dued

Aug 2, 2018, 3:44:47 PM8/2/18
If responding is all that's required to compete then I guess you are the ultimate competitor.

Ken Olson

Aug 2, 2018, 4:07:17 PM8/2/18
Yes. Even if sentence structure is similar, the vocabulary required to
be conversant in more than 1 language is immense. Languages other than
European ones must be real ball-busters.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2018, 4:57:25 PM8/2/18
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 12:44:44 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If responding is all that's required to compete then I guess you are the ultimate competitor.

As Cleopatra said to Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, "I'm not prone to
argue!"

Hugh