Penny Wise, Pound Foolisj

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2018, 12:43:06 PM8/30/18
I work in an industry with lotsa $$$$.

I’m currently on a call with a customer who is complaining about a $450/month budget item.

I happen to know the overall budget is over $40MM.

This budget line is for a product that will likely gain them more operating efficiencies than any other process in their total product budget, easily saving them several hundred dollars per month. I just laid that out for them and they’re still harrumphing.

Also, they have 12 people on the call, and this is probably the third conversation.

People find the dumbest hills to die on.

jim brown

Aug 30, 2018, 12:45:51 PM8/30/18
Give it to them for a few months and show them where the savings are...might buy you a client for years.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2018, 1:19:49 PM8/30/18
That’s what I do often.

IN this case they have some new purchasing gatekeepers who don’t really understand the industry. I got all their operations folks in the room with them and had our guys run a demo.

You could hear the tension when their ops folks were saying “wow!” LOL

We’ll cut em a discount for a long term agreement.

GrtArtiste

Aug 30, 2018, 3:14:15 PM8/30/18
It's time to ask yourself this question:

WHAT WOULD DOLT45 DO?

GrtArtiste

xyzzy

Aug 30, 2018, 3:43:34 PM8/30/18
He would agree to pay the $450/mo then stiff andrew on the payment.

Ken Olson

Aug 30, 2018, 3:44:07 PM8/30/18
Call a stupid MF a stupid MF.

--
"We're going to fight racism not with racism, but we're going to fight
with solidarity."

"A sword is never a killer. It is a tool in the killer's hand."
- Seneca

"The hate rolls off my back like hygiene off of Michael Moore."
- Ted Nugent

dotsla...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 3:55:29 PM8/30/18
That's just a negotiating tactic, dude. Contracts aren't, like, written in stone. It's not as if you put you signature on a legally binding contract or anything.

And when contractors are faced with a years long legal battle against really deep pockets, you'd be surprised how few pennies on the dollar they're willing to take!

Cheers.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2018, 6:21:48 PM8/30/18
LOL

It’s amazing what a (in context) minuscule amount of money will make people do.

But I can’t just give our products away, even the ancillary ones.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2018, 6:27:23 PM8/30/18
I didn’t call them stupid, but after about an hour of BS, I asked them to tell me what they thought it was worth.

Crickets.

Finally, someone said they didn’t know what it was worth.

I didn’t open my mouth.

It was quiet for a looooong time in that room.

I hate when people’s performance is managed against imaginary financial targets. Their boss sets a $250MM budget cap at the beginning of the year. THEN they plan what they need to accomplish. And they try to squeeze me.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to tell people their expectations are unrealistic. And it’s almost always the folks with less purchasing power, who can’t bring me volume for lower prices.

Ken Olson

Aug 30, 2018, 6:46:14 PM8/30/18
A friend of mine, is now the President of the production machining
company founded by his Dad. AFAIK, never took any college classes, but
probably knows more about engineering applicable to his business than
most with ME's, once called a bunch of GM engineers a "bunch of stupid
MF's" after they presented how they want certain parts made. He showed
them how he would make them, cutting out several processes by combining
them, saving both GM and his company money by simplifying the total
process. He was right and they got the contract. Lots of grumbling,
but he's kind of like me and doesn't give a shit what people think about
him. Bottom line is the orientation.

jim brown

Aug 30, 2018, 7:17:31 PM8/30/18
Then fire him and molest the CEO's 18 year old daughter

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 31, 2018, 10:00:47 AM8/31/18
I have a friend in MS that is known around the world for his tool & die capabilities. No college education at all.

Where companies can build a 750k unit die, he can make it a 1MM unit die.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Aug 31, 2018, 5:32:15 PM8/31/18
Now I’m getting tool & die job ads on twitter

You’re an idiot google.

Michael Press

Aug 31, 2018, 6:20:49 PM8/31/18
In article <7c86ddf6-cfd8-4990...@googlegroups.com>,
Ask them how much the telephone call is costing.

--
Michael Press