Re: typography & readability

Marvin J. Mooney

May 2, 2017, 10:42:03 PM5/2/17
Robert Bannister wrote:

> On 1/4/17 10:57 pm, Tak To wrote:

>> It is trivial (YMMV), not unlike getting used to alternative spellings
>> such as color vs colour, or draft vs draught.
>
> Are they all trivial? And are we supposed to remember outdated words
> like "mileage" forever?

YKMV!!1!

Michael Press

May 3, 2017, 2:48:15 AM5/3/17
In article <slrnodtl0q.2...@ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:

> On 2017-03-24, Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:
> > On 3/16/2017 8:55 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> >> On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:00:57 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> If the People's Republic of China following the directive of Mao
> >> Zedong can be considered "Chinese writers," then perhaps so. It has,
> >> however, nothing to do with monoline vs. brushstroke-like characters;
> >> both Traditional and Simplified characters can be printed either way.
> >>
> >> Traditional characters are used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
> >
> > Singapore switched to using simplified characters quite a while ago.
> > They started using them in schools in the 80's. As of 1993,
> > Singaporean passports and identify cards are in simplified characters.
> >
> >> However, a few years ago every one of the Chinese-English
> >> dictionaries, of various sizes from several publishers, on the shelf
> >> at Barnes & Noble used Simplified. Those studying Chinese for
> >> business are far more likely to need to communicate with the PRC than
> >> with any of the other Chinese- writing places.
> >
> > The PRC still occasionally publishes books in traditional characters
> > -- most of them on Classical literature. I have just purchased a 2-
> > book set in that format.
>
> Just being curious - how easy is it for someone who learned with
> 'simplified' at school, to read and understand texts written in
> traditional characters? I imagine the difference is less than that
> between (for example) 'Ottoman' and 'Latin' letters used to write
> Turkish.
>
> English readers seem to baulk even at fairly mild spelling reform, let
^^^^^
Is this an example of your mild spelling reform?

--
Michael Press

James Wilkinson Sword

May 3, 2017, 8:40:04 AM5/3/17
On my screen the arrows point to "rs se". Does anyone actually use a fixed width font anymore?

>> alone moving to a more phonetic writing system. Neither the Shavian
>> alphabet nor ITA seem to have made any progress since the 1960s.

--
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?

Some dued

May 3, 2017, 10:25:00 AM5/3/17
Programmers and CLI users often like fixed width fonts to make things line up across rows.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

May 3, 2017, 11:41:31 AM5/3/17
On Tue, 02 May 2017 23:48:12 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
wrote:
That is an unreformed spelling.

OED:

2.d. To avoid (a duty or responsibility).
1631 J. Preston Treat. Effectual Faith 146 Thou must not balke
the way of Religion, because of the troubles thou meetest.
a1708 W. Beveridge Private Thoughts Christian Life (1712) 194
Not that we should run our selves into danger, but that we should
baulk no Duty to avoid it.
1785 W. Cowper Tirocinium in Task 257 Such an age as ours baulks
no expence.

>> alone moving to a more phonetic writing system. Neither the Shavian
>> alphabet nor ITA seem to have made any progress since the 1960s.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Michael Press

May 3, 2017, 1:22:06 PM5/3/17
In article <mdujgc16k9tp7oaqp...@4ax.com>,
Thanks.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

May 3, 2017, 1:32:15 PM5/3/17
In article <op.yznxg...@red.lan>,
No. Nobody uses a fixed width font anymore.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
01234567891123456789212345678931234567894123456789512345678961234567897123456789

> >> alone moving to a more phonetic writing system. Neither the Shavian
> >> alphabet nor ITA seem to have made any progress since the 1960s.

--
Michael Press

Robert Bannister

May 5, 2017, 9:13:34 PM5/5/17
??? That is the normal spelling in places where they don't mess with
orthography.

>> alone moving to a more phonetic writing system. Neither the Shavian
>> alphabet nor ITA seem to have made any progress since the 1960s.

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972