On Immigration

agavi...@gmail.com

May 2, 2016, 10:23:16 AM5/2/16
I haven't read the whole thing, because I'm working for a living, but,...

http://qz.com/670921/forty-one-years-ago-the-us-took-a-big-gamble-on-vietnamese-refugees/

Ken Olson

May 2, 2016, 12:54:03 PM5/2/16
On 5/2/2016 10:23 AM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I haven't read the whole thing, because I'm working for a living, but,...
>
> http://qz.com/670921/forty-one-years-ago-the-us-took-a-big-gamble-on-vietnamese-refugees/

How many religious fanatics were likely in the Vietnamese refugees?
About like comparing a jungle to a desert.

xyzzy

May 3, 2016, 9:10:00 AM5/3/16
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 10:23:16 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I haven't read the whole thing, because I'm working for a living, but,...
>
> http://qz.com/670921/forty-one-years-ago-the-us-took-a-big-gamble-on-vietnamese-refugees/

I don't have time to read it yet either, but I definitely remember the controversy over the vietnamese refugees. Boat people was the biggest pejorative and people were worried they were going to steal all the shrimping jobs on the gulf coast.

agavi...@gmail.com

May 3, 2016, 9:22:45 AM5/3/16
Growing up on the gulf and having friends in the industry, I remember the same. There were some wars going on back then, guys arming themselves, etc.

Generally speaking, they've done very well for themselves. And, yes, they did impact the fishing business.

shiite

May 4, 2016, 1:10:17 PM5/4/16
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:22:45 AM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Growing up on the gulf and having friends in the industry, I remember the same. There were some wars going on back then, guys arming themselves, etc.
>
> Generally speaking, they've done very well for themselves. And, yes, they did impact the fishing business.

The primary source of the conflict was large groups of Vietnamese taking up residence on shrimp boats and fishing 24/7, further straining an already dwindling shrimp population.