Nice article on the DNC

xyzzy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:20:20 PM6/13/17
Squarely blames Obama for its current sad state ($1 to Connie) so the first half of the article will be good schadenfruede for Obama haters (I don't disagree with it btw). The rest is about how the DNC will R1SE FR0/\/\ T|-|E AS|-|ES!!! so take it for what you think it's worth.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/can-democrats-fix-the-party-w487160

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 13, 2017, 2:28:37 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Squarely blames Obama for its current sad state ($1 to Connie) so the first half of the article will be good schadenfruede for Obama haters (I don't disagree with it btw). The rest is about how the DNC will R1SE FR0/\/\ T|-|E AS|-|ES!!! so take it for what you think it's worth.
>
> http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/can-democrats-fix-the-party-w487160

Haven't read yet - but why the O bashing from the left? Shouldn't it be HRC bashing? She's lost twice now while the Annointed One

Better go read, I suppose

xyzzy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:33:40 PM6/13/17
You'll see from the article but the high level summary is one that I've heard leveled before: He put all his resources into building up OFA (Obama For America and then Organizing For America) which stayed separate from the party and competed with it for resources. Apparently the right Party Man thing to do would have been to merge it into the party after he won in 2008.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 13, 2017, 2:39:09 PM6/13/17
Just got done....the first part...there's a LOT going on there. I can see some of the above - but also a ton of "let's blame the outsider - how DARE he get in Hillary's way!" stuff

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 2:57:26 PM6/13/17
Lol. I made it through the first couple paragraphs and might go back, but... Obama was the most successful d presidency in several generations?

They mention the losses across the board during his presidency and their current very low approval ratings but (at least through the beginning of the article) seem to miss the main point.

Many if not most folks that would typically vote (d) do not feel that the current centrist / globalist tenor of the dnc represents them much.

That's true for former union types and it's true for west coast progressives, admittedly for very different reasons.

The same thing that hurt Obamacare ratings (that many of us wanted single payer or something at least reasonable) is what is keeping dnc ratings low. It's not that 60% disprove because they think the dnc is too far to the left. 40%, sure but the other 20% are folks like Ramon or myself that see the dnc as being very similar to the pre TP gop.

They need to accept that they're never gonna sway the right, and that the middle is becoming increasingly lonely in this country - possibly just completely write off the Midwest - and actually, concretely, loudly, move to the left. Imo. They should figure out some sort of libertarian left - strong safety nets, minimal market manipulation, and mind your own darn business on social stuff.

Cheers.

Eric Ramon

Jun 13, 2017, 3:59:54 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 11:57:26 AM UTC-7, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:

> They need to accept that they're never gonna sway the right, and that the middle is becoming increasingly lonely in this country - possibly just completely write off the Midwest - and actually, concretely, loudly, move to the left. Imo. They should figure out some sort of libertarian left - strong safety nets, minimal market manipulation, and mind your own darn business on social stuff.

yes, except I think that pursuing that agenda would bring the Midwest back to the D side.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 13, 2017, 4:56:52 PM6/13/17
Personally, I discount the beans put in the OFA pot instead of the DNC pot.
I think Obama's basic mistake was the "my way or the highway" approach of failing
to attempt bipartisanship at all. Persuadable people notice lack of compromise, and they
don't like it. The base, not so much, but you've got your base.

--
There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 13, 2017, 5:21:01 PM6/13/17
How partisan can you get:

And the party leaders who run this complex will play an outsize
role in determining how the American experiment survives the
Donald Trump presidency and a Republican Party that has
abandoned patriotism for power.

I shouldn't read the article, based on that sentence alone, but probably will anyway.

--
In a system of free trade and free markets poor countries -- and poor
people -- are not poor because others are rich. Indeed, if others became

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 8:32:03 PM6/13/17
You'll be dumber for it.