Finally took the plunge....

michael anderson

May 5, 2017, 9:58:50 AM5/5/17
And put down deposit on Porsche 718s....

Ordered an 18. Will be here towards end of august supposedly.

Had to put down 5 percent nonrefundable.

Ordered midnight blue exterior and saddle brown interior. Wanted a more light tan color but they stopped making those monotone throughout because of safety glare issues apparently.

The options I ordered were to go up to 20s for the wheels, pdk/auto transmission(tested both, liked it much better), full leather interior upgrade, and the midnt blue color.

Still going to keep the old Nissan econobox for lomg trips, bad weather driving, etc...may drive the Porsche 3-4 days a week around time.

Compared to the Cayman, the 911 base I drove felt heavy. And it has a completely unusable back seat. And was like 20k more.

Haven't price out insurance yet....hope it's not too bad.

Mercellus Bohren

May 5, 2017, 10:10:23 AM5/5/17
Nice. Is the seat comfortable for a larger person such as yourself?

Michael Press

May 5, 2017, 2:02:40 PM5/5/17
In article <61b93b85-587b-4e7b...@googlegroups.com>,
michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And put down deposit on Porsche 718s....

Is that the boxster?

--
Michael Press

xyzzy

May 5, 2017, 2:11:22 PM5/5/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
So now you can go to the local Porsche club meetings and helpfully suggest that Porsche make a convertible Cayman, it would probably sell great!

agavi...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 3:26:26 PM5/5/17
Uh...

Convertible Cayman?!?!

Don't you mean a Boxster Coupe?

xyzzy

May 5, 2017, 3:48:37 PM5/5/17
Yeah, that would be awesome too!

agavi...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 4:04:37 PM5/5/17
Porsche could just make one car and call it the Boxster and Cayman.

They could do the same with the Audi/VW cars.

irishra...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 6:08:45 PM5/5/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> And put down deposit on Porsche 718s....
>
> Ordered an 18. Will be here towards end of august supposedly.
>
> Had to put down 5 percent nonrefundable.
>
> Ordered midnight blue exterior and saddle brown interior. Wanted a more light tan color but they stopped making those monotone throughout because of safety glare issues apparently.

I lease a new Cadillac every three years from the same dealer. No hassle, no repairs, no trade ins, no haggling. Just drop off the old one, pick up a new one.

To each his own.

Irish Mike

michael anderson

May 5, 2017, 7:27:57 PM5/5/17

It actually is...I was worried about that because my Nissan econobox is getting a little tight, but the Cayman seat and front felt much roomier

michael anderson

May 5, 2017, 7:29:49 PM5/5/17

I realize the boxster and Cayman are very similar and share the same engine and chassis and whatever, but(conv vs not aside) they look different to me. The Cayman has different angles and a little different look.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 6, 2017, 10:41:55 AM5/6/17
On Fri, 5 May 2017 11:11:20 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>So now you can go to the local Porsche club meetings and helpfully suggest that Porsche make a convertible Cayman, it would probably sell great!

Driving back from the Masters in 2009 we stopped in Atlanta for a
baseball game.

I was driving a Lincoln Continental at the time but noticed parking
for Lexus with transportation to the front gate. Our son had a Lexus
but he flew to B'ham and I drove us to Augusta.

When I returned home I traded for a Lexus. I'm glad they didn't have
parking for Porsche - they cost more - and the ones I have seen were
beaten with an Ugly Stick. (No, no, my grapes are not sour)

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

irishra...@gmail.com

May 7, 2017, 3:13:51 AM5/7/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> And put down deposit on Porsche 718s....
>
> Ordered an 18. Will be here towards end of august supposedly.

Just out of curiosity, what is the sticker price on one of those?

Irish Mike

michael anderson

May 7, 2017, 1:32:36 PM5/7/17

58-59k or so for pdk with no other options, but Porsches come so poorly optioned that the average new msrp is maybe 69-73 for a base. I didn't get as many options as most and my msrp came to 66 I think, but I got a little off msrp.

irishra...@gmail.com

May 7, 2017, 3:10:43 PM5/7/17
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 1:32:36 PM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> 58-59k or so for pdk with no other options, but Porsches come so poorly optioned that the average new msrp is maybe 69-73 for a base. I didn't get as many options as most and my msrp came to 66 I think, but I got a little off msrp.

Jesus wept! $66K is a lot of Guinness, Harp, Paddy & Jameson!

Irish Mike

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 7, 2017, 4:05:44 PM5/7/17
Have fun and enjoy

jim brown

May 8, 2017, 2:13:23 AM5/8/17
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:32:36 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> 58-59k or so for pdk with no other options, but Porsches come so poorly optioned that the average new msrp is maybe 69-73 for a base. I didn't get as many options as most and my msrp came to 66 I think, but I got a little off msrp.

That's it?? Those are cheap cars. Hell, lots of pickups and Tahoes are in that same range. Really not much of a "plunge".

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 8, 2017, 7:55:07 AM5/8/17
It will be when he takes it to the shop....

michael anderson

May 8, 2017, 10:33:47 AM5/8/17
Well although sticker on a new Tahoe with options may get to high 60s most people don't have to pay near that. Also usage of the two vehicles is different- one more a daily driver, the other a fun/wkemd car. But yeah, I realize it's not a super expensive car. But when it's over 3 times as much as you have ever paid for a car before, it's definafeky taking the plunge

unclejr

May 8, 2017, 10:38:17 AM5/8/17
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:32:36 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> 58-59k or so for pdk with no other options, but Porsches come so poorly optioned that the average new msrp is maybe 69-73 for a base. I didn't get as many options as most and my msrp came to 66 I think, but I got a little off msrp.

For that money, I would've bought a Dodge Challenger.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 8, 2017, 11:46:40 AM5/8/17
On Sun, 7 May 2017 12:10:42 -0700 (PDT), irishra...@gmail.com
wrote:
$66K won't buy the 2-seater or the LWB Mercedes.

michael anderson

May 8, 2017, 2:07:42 PM5/8/17
well it has a 4 year warranty....so Im good until then. And by that time surely I will be upgrading to a 911s. hopefully turbo :)

but yeah apparently you cant actually access the engine, so there is a 500 dollar charge the dealer puts on there everytime you bring it in and they have to access the engine. So again, glad there is 4 years worth of warranty.

One thing I was shocked by is how many people apparently finance weekend fun/sports cars. You would think if someone is buying a little sporty car(that isnt going to be their primary car) they don't finance it....the dealership wanted to run my credit and I said "no"(since I'm buying a house and don't want to see that credit check on there and have to explain it hehe), and so they had to verify funds in acct and I had to sign someone that said I was planning to pay with funds in acct. But that was a strange concept to me- if you have to finance a weekend car, you probably shouldn't buy it....

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 8, 2017, 3:41:31 PM5/8/17
On Mon, 8 May 2017 11:07:39 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>One thing I was shocked by is how many people apparently finance weekend fu=
>n/sports cars.

When we bought my wife's last Lincoln they offered to pay the first
month's payment if we financed. Naturally we financed - and wrote a
check for the balance just before our first payment was due.

And 0% interest is better than having to cash in investments. I don't
know how to bargain but our sons do.

michael anderson

May 8, 2017, 10:19:53 PM5/8/17
Oops as i was reminded today when got email from them, my MSRP was actually closer to 80 than 70 after a few options were order(75.5 o be specific)...still not a crazy expensive car though and I got a little off that

Ken Olson

May 8, 2017, 10:35:46 PM5/8/17
To a lot of people it's all about lifestyle. They're paying for their
fun on the installment plan, along with everything else.

Eric Ramon

May 8, 2017, 10:55:00 PM5/8/17
or a few Dodge Darts. Now that's a great car!

unclejr

May 8, 2017, 11:12:43 PM5/8/17
I'm only interested if Dodge brings back the Swinger (ODL!).

Ken Olson

May 9, 2017, 12:04:00 AM5/9/17
If it's a '68 or '69 with at least a 340 in it, it is a great car.

RoddyMcCorley

May 12, 2017, 12:51:21 PM5/12/17
Cool! Enjoy it.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.