Genetically engineered micropigs

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 11:07:39 AM9/30/15
Couple of observations

1 - they're called "baba pigs" - the chinese have a strange sense of humor
2 - are we in danger, in this country, of falling drastically behind in GE work compared to places like China, Japan and India where the "ethics" are far less shrill than what we hear from the worryprogs? Should this matter?

http://www.nature.com/news/gene-edited-micropigs-to-be-sold-as-pets-at-chinese-institute-1.18448

BGI in Shenzhen, the genomics institute that is famous for a series of high-profile breakthroughs in genomic sequencing, originally created the micropigs as models for human disease, by applying a gene-editing technique to a small breed of pig known as Bama. On 23 September, at the Shenzhen International Biotech Leaders Summit in China, BGI revealed that it would start selling the pigs as pets. The animals weigh about 15 kilograms when mature, or about the same as a medium-sized dog.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 11:15:11 AM9/30/15
Meh - stupid typo

BAMA Pigs....not baba....

grumble

dotsla...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 11:34:09 AM9/30/15
I mean, if your gonna frame it in political terms, I'd want to see just one piece of evidence or legislation pushed by the left that you think is reducing the amount of ge research going on in this country.

You know, something similar to the ban on funding stem cell research we got courtesy of the religicons a decade back. Which, you know, is something that actually happened rather than being some leap from folks wringing their hands about consuming gmos (which I don't agree with other than potential concerns about decreases in genetic diversity, but is still a long way off from anyone suggesting we somehow restrict ge research much less actual legislation or funding bans to enforce that in some way).

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 11:38:02 AM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:34:09 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> I mean, if your gonna frame it in political terms, I'd want to see just one piece of evidence or legislation pushed by the left that you think is reducing the amount of ge research going on in this country.

Well, how about the pushback against golden rice? Doesn't have to be legislation - the endless lawsuits do just find as it is.

> You know, something similar to the ban on funding stem cell research we got courtesy of the religicons a decade back. Which, you know, is something that actually happened rather than being some leap from folks wringing their hands about consuming gmos (which I don't agree with other than potential concerns about decreases in genetic diversity, but is still a long way off from anyone suggesting we somehow restrict ge research much less actual legislation or funding bans to enforce that in some way).

No a fan of blocking stem cell research either, fwiw - and the same question can be asked as above.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 11:42:08 AM9/30/15
jebsus - having tpynig porlbems toady I see

dotsla...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 12:46:33 PM9/30/15
I honestly don't know about the golden rice pushback did a quick search and got as far as wiki, but I'll look closer later.

Interestingly, according to wiki the research and development of genetic enhancements to golden rice was paid for by the gates foundation which I suspect most people would characterize as a left leaning organization, which likely just indicates internal dissent on the issue, nothing new there.

Having acknowledged that I'm not familiar with the issue, I would also respectfully disagree on the idea that legislation isn't different from interest groups pressuring companies on some topic, I'm way more comfortable with the second even if they have the same sort of impact (the second allows a company to tell the hand wingers to go stuff themselves, and if that company isn't willing to risk the power of their collective stern disapproval some other company can come along and say hey I don't care bama pigs sound like a billion dollar idea!)

dotsla...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 12:54:17 PM9/30/15
To sort of pull myself back to the point you actually made, sure it's possible for hand wringers to cause us to fall behind other nations, I suspect there are lots more examples of this like research into nuclear power generation, there may have been some impact on ge research because of the anti-gmo folks, certainly I would guess that legislation requiring labeling has reduced the amount of money corporations are willing to sink into go research, but I also suspect the overall impact has been negligible and that we still put more money into ge research as a country than the others you mentioned.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 12:57:12 PM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 11:46:33 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> I honestly don't know about the golden rice pushback did a quick search and got as far as wiki, but I'll look closer later.

Really? We did a thread on this post a couple years ago - and you commented

http://blog.psiram.com/2013/09/prof-potrykus-on-golden-rice/

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.sport.football.college/%22golden$20rice%22/rec.sport.football.college/W-xv1cA4-KQ/d9EC8uBlUCAJ

Anyhoo - just google "golden rice" just on this board - it's been a topic of discussion before

> Interestingly, according to wiki the research and development of genetic enhancements to golden rice was paid for by the gates foundation which I suspect most people would characterize as a left leaning organization, which likely just indicates internal dissent on the issue, nothing new there.

Sure - there are plenty of "liberals" who support GMOs - notably X who loves to troll his fb friends that way. But X is not a worryprog - nor are you for that matter.

> Having acknowledged that I'm not familiar with the issue, I would also respectfully disagree on the idea that legislation isn't different from interest groups pressuring companies on some topic, I'm way more comfortable with the second even if they have the same sort of impact (the second allows a company to tell the hand wingers to go stuff themselves, and if that company isn't willing to risk the power of their collective stern disapproval some other company can come along and say hey I don't care bama pigs sound like a billion dollar idea!)

I don't disagree with the above - otoh, even if there are no laws, the threat of legal actions can and does have deleterious effects on all sorts of projects - ranging from genetic engineering to power plants to pretty much everything in between.

And one of the risks, is moving projects offshore.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 12:59:46 PM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 11:54:17 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> To sort of pull myself back to the point you actually made, sure it's possible for hand wringers to cause us to fall behind other nations, I suspect there are lots more examples of this like research into nuclear power generation, there may have been some impact on ge research because of the anti-gmo folks, certainly I would guess that legislation requiring labeling has reduced the amount of money corporations are willing to sink into go research, but I also suspect the overall impact has been negligible and that we still put more money into ge research as a country than the others you mentioned.

Could be - for now.

But let me ask - what would the reaction domestically be if monsanto trotted out this little piggie? Would they receive a receptive audience or a hostile storm of teeth gnashing and lawsuits?

I'm thinking the latter - hands down.

Doing this sort of work overseas it a nation with more....."accomodating".....laws and whatnot has it's attractions.

I HOPE we stay at the forefront of GE and the like - but i"m not optimistic in the long run.

xyzzy

Sep 30, 2015, 2:00:44 PM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:59:46 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 11:54:17 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> > To sort of pull myself back to the point you actually made, sure it's possible for hand wringers to cause us to fall behind other nations, I suspect there are lots more examples of this like research into nuclear power generation, there may have been some impact on ge research because of the anti-gmo folks, certainly I would guess that legislation requiring labeling has reduced the amount of money corporations are willing to sink into go research, but I also suspect the overall impact has been negligible and that we still put more money into ge research as a country than the others you mentioned.
>
> Could be - for now.
>
> But let me ask - what would the reaction domestically be if monsanto trotted out this little piggie? Would they receive a receptive audience or a hostile storm of teeth gnashing and lawsuits?

The answer is yes.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Sep 30, 2015, 2:09:50 PM9/30/15
"This Little Piggie" would be a killer brand name here

I'm thinking the secret to acceptance for GMO pets is.......cats.

Get the feminists on board with kittayhz and you're golden.

jim brown

Sep 30, 2015, 2:16:09 PM9/30/15
Get one that doesn't shed or leave dander and I'll take one.

Some dued

Sep 30, 2015, 2:16:42 PM9/30/15
Cats born sans claws?

agavi...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 9:52:09 PM9/30/15
We're pretty badass in genomics.

I listen to a lot of conversations where I have the slightest elementary understanding. I usually get myself some coffee.

Some of the protocols I read have me googling tons of crap.

RoddyMcCorley

Sep 30, 2015, 10:30:34 PM9/30/15
On 9/30/2015 2:16 PM, Some dued wrote:
> Cats born sans claws?

Cool! Like humans without hands. Neat-O.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 11:01:13 PM9/30/15
I think they'd get the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the same folks that are currently up in arms about gmos.

But I also think that's a small but loud group. Similar, maybe, to tipper gore's old group. All this noise about foul language in music, even got the whole labeling thing off the ground.

25 years later, what's been the impact? Music all cleaned up? Labels refuse to carry artists because they like to drop f bombs?

I suspect US companies will pursue gmos as aggressively as the market demands, with minimal concern about blowhards or lawsuits. Some sort of legislative ban would be a game changer, obviously.

There's another undercurrent here... I feel like the gmo thing has some sort of generational component. And even beyond that, I just don't think you can do much to supress the march of technology, as a general statement. Won't be long before we're the gmos.

Gattaca here we come!

Michael Press

Oct 1, 2015, 3:36:28 AM10/1/15
In article <601a0ac3-738b-40c7...@googlegroups.com>,
dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:

> I mean, if your gonna frame it in political terms, I'd want to see just one piece of evidence or legislation pushed by the left that you think is reducing the amount of ge research going on in this country.
>
> You know, something similar to the ban on funding stem cell research we got courtesy of the religicons a decade back. Which, you know, is something that actually happened rather than being some leap from folks wringing their hands about consuming gmos (which I don't agree with other than potential concerns about decreases in genetic diversity, but is still a long way off from anyone suggesting we somehow restrict ge research much less actual legislation or funding bans to enforce that in some way).

I thought the opposition to stem cell research is based on where
the stem cells come from. Not that I follow any of this closely.
Opposition is opposition. And if opponents to genetically
modified food could get legislation passed they would. That they
have not shows their incompetence or strength of their opposition
or maybe, just maybe their proposed laws are bad law.

--
Michael Press