In what sport of men/women closest to being equal?

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 12:43:04 PM6/27/17
In light of McEnroe's comments re Serena Williams (That she'd rank about 700 on the men's tour & is GOAT women's player), it got me to wondering, at what physical sport are men & women the closest in terms of performance? At what sport would a woman be closest to competing full-time v men?

Note the physical sport caveat - as opposed to primarily equipment sports like shooting, archery, sailing etc

Was thinking maybe track - esp distance - but the top woman's marathon this year would be about 11 minutes behind the top men's time - placing her roughly 500. In the 100, time 135 for men is still a full half second better than the best woman's time.

Maybe a winter sport like skiing?

Or some team sport?

What say you?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 12:48:35 PM6/27/17
Skiing came to mind. That pro that used to date tiger has been asking to be allowed to compete with the guys. Lindsey Vonn I think?

Cheers.

michael anderson

Jun 27, 2017, 12:55:10 PM6/27/17
in terms of physical sports......none. And that's ok...it is what it is. God made us different.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 12:56:03 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:48:35 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Skiing came to mind. That pro that used to date tiger has been asking to be allowed to compete with the guys. Lindsey Vonn I think?
>
> Cheers.

Yeah - Vonn - I could see that being pretty close - skiing is pretty physical - esp downhill - but perhaps there - but doubtful XC skiing. Does something like snowboarding count or aerial skiing? Maybe some gymnastics - but rings would be hard for a woman to compete in.

Interesting to think about

The NOTBCS Guy

Jun 27, 2017, 12:58:46 PM6/27/17
My first thought was, ultra-long-distance swimming. Isn't the English Channel record usually held by a woman?

I was under the impression that most "ultramarathon" events would be fairly equal between men and women, but the old Race Across America cycling race was invariably won by men, and rather easily, although they did have to go over the Rockies (and, in some years, the Sierra Nevadas as well), which may have had something to do with it.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:05:40 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:58:46 AM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> My first thought was, ultra-long-distance swimming. Isn't the English Channel record usually held by a woman?

Perhaps that - I bet the 10k pool times tho have a good spread?

> I was under the impression that most "ultramarathon" events would be fairly equal between men and women, but the old Race Across America cycling race was invariably won by men, and rather easily, although they did have to go over the Rockies (and, in some years, the Sierra Nevadas as well), which may have had something to do with it.

I think some ultramarathon road races are won by women - like 100k length?

Some dued

Jun 27, 2017, 1:10:54 PM6/27/17
Rifle?
Curling?

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 27, 2017, 1:17:05 PM6/27/17
Equestrian.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:18:06 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:10:54 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> Rifle?
> Curling?

Did you see the caveat?

But curling perhaps - would that count? it IS an Olympic sport

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:19:00 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:17:05 PM UTC-5, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> Equestrian.

oooh - perhaps this. I think it's the only Olympic sport w/o a men's/women's class, right?

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 1:20:34 PM6/27/17
Table tennis, badminton, darts.

Some dued

Jun 27, 2017, 1:20:34 PM6/27/17
Seems like jockeys should be women as they are typically lighter than men.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:28:46 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:20:34 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> Seems like jockeys should be women as they are typically lighter than men.

There have been a few - just not strong enough to compete at the highest levels

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:29:54 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:20:34 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Table tennis, badminton, darts.

No, no, yes - but I'd consider that a primarily equipment sport like archery or shooting.

Top men's tt or badminton players would crush their female counterparts - but the gap prolly isn't as large as elsewhere

michael anderson

Jun 27, 2017, 1:42:20 PM6/27/17
oh I think it would be a massive gap. The male/female difference in a sport like table tennis where reaction speed with h/e coordination is MASSIVE.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 27, 2017, 1:52:40 PM6/27/17
On 2017-06-27, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior <iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In light of McEnroe's comments re Serena Williams (That she'd rank
> about 700 on the men's tour & is GOAT women's player), it got me to
> wondering, at what physical sport are men & women the closest in terms
> of performance? At what sport would a woman be closest to competing
> full-time v men?

Archery? Shooting?

> Note the physical sport caveat - as opposed to primarily equipment
> sports like shooting, archery, sailing etc

Drat. Diving?

> Was thinking maybe track - esp distance - but the top woman's marathon
> this year would be about 11 minutes behind the top men's time -
> placing her roughly 500. In the 100, time 135 for men is still a full
> half second better than the best woman's time.
>
> Maybe a winter sport like skiing?
>
> Or some team sport?
>
> What say you?

It's not physical, but bridge is dominated by men at the highest level
(as is chess). Yet there have been two women -- Helen Sobel and
Dorothy Hayden -- who everyone agreed were the equal of the top men.

It's a shame they weren't really contemporaries, because it would have
been neat to see such a partnership compete against men.

Sobel in particular was considered to be one of the top all time
in card play. She played with Charles Goren, the most famous player
of that day, and she was not the weaker of the two. She would sometimes
get annoyed with all the kibitzers watching him because she knew she was
the better player. (One day a woman came up to her and asked
"What's it like to play with a real expert?" She said, "I don't
know -- ask him.")

--
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
car payments. -- Earl Wilson

xyzzy

Jun 27, 2017, 1:53:14 PM6/27/17
This popped up on a discussion of the McEnroe quote on Facebook.

https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 1:56:41 PM6/27/17
Makes a ton of sense

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 27, 2017, 2:34:34 PM6/27/17
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:43:00 -0700 (PDT), "The Cheesehusker, Trade
Warrior" <iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In light of McEnroe's comments re Serena Williams (That she'd rank about 70=
>0 on the men's tour & is GOAT women's player), it got me to wondering, at w=
>hat physical sport are men & women the closest in terms of performance? At=
> what sport would a woman be closest to competing full-time v men?
>
>Note the physical sport caveat - as opposed to primarily equipment sports l=
>ike shooting, archery, sailing etc
>
>Was thinking maybe track - esp distance - but the top woman's marathon this=
> year would be about 11 minutes behind the top men's time - placing her rou=
>ghly 500. In the 100, time 135 for men is still a full half second better =
>than the best woman's time.
>
>Maybe a winter sport like skiing?
>
>Or some team sport?
>
>What say you?

Dancing.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

JGibson

Jun 27, 2017, 2:38:20 PM6/27/17
This one was ranked 8th, 8th, and 7th in 2012, 2013, 2014:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Napravnik

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 3:03:52 PM6/27/17
Wanna say there was one around 2000 or mid 90s as well?

Pretty uncommon tho

You'd think they'd be popular - after all, you'd only have to give them 77% of the normal winner's share, right?

Michael Press

Jun 27, 2017, 3:34:18 PM6/27/17
In article <7a516f4e-5f1a-43d2...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like jockeys should be women as they are typically lighter than men.

Jockeys fight each other. It's a jungle out there.
A woman succeeds in it for a while then leaves.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Jun 27, 2017, 3:43:05 PM6/27/17
In article <2f617a56-0664-40a7...@googlegroups.com>,
Sounds like that 200th player is smarter than the W sisters too.
(Karsten Braasch)

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Jun 27, 2017, 3:50:39 PM6/27/17
In article <5952a43f....@news.eternal-september.org>,
Eleanor Powell > Fred Astaire > Ginger Rogers > William Robinson.

I'd say equal, just as with singing.

--
Michael Press

Eric Ramon

Jun 27, 2017, 4:01:42 PM6/27/17
we've been here before. Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs. It would be interesting to see Serena vs McEnroe. It wouldn't make a difference who won, in terms of his comment, though.

Here's a good rundown of other tennis matches. Note Bill Tilden's 6-0 win over Suzanne Lenglen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)

Annika Sorenstam played a tournament with men and missed the cut.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 27, 2017, 4:12:31 PM6/27/17
Michelle Wie tried the PGA events several times, didn't she?

irishra...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 7:58:28 PM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> In light of McEnroe's comments re Serena Williams (That she'd rank about 700 on the men's tour & is GOAT women's player), it got me to wondering, at what physical sport are men & women the closest in terms of performance? At what sport would a woman be closest to competing full-time v men?
>
> Note the physical sport caveat - as opposed to primarily equipment sports like shooting, archery, sailing etc
>
> Was thinking maybe track - esp distance - but the top woman's marathon this year would be about 11 minutes behind the top men's time - placing her roughly 500. In the 100, time 135 for men is still a full half second better than the best woman's time.
>
> Maybe a winter sport like skiing?
>
> Or some team sport?
>
> What say you?

There is only one competitive sport where men and women are completely and totally
equal. And that is poker!

Irish Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 28, 2017, 7:46:49 AM6/28/17
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 12:50:37 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>I'd say equal, just as with singing.
>
>--
>Michael Press

The tenors or the sopranos?

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2017, 8:32:04 AM6/28/17
What's the older saying about Ginger Rogers? She did everything Fred Astair did except backwards in heels.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 28, 2017, 10:10:40 AM6/28/17
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 05:32:00 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What's the older saying about Ginger Rogers? She did everything Fred Astair did except backwards in heels.

Backwards? She mustabin a liebral.

Marty McMahone

Jun 28, 2017, 10:35:37 AM6/28/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:56:03 AM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:48:35 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Skiing came to mind. That pro that used to date tiger has been asking to be allowed to compete with the guys. Lindsey Vonn I think?
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> Yeah - Vonn - I could see that being pretty close - skiing is pretty physical - esp downhill - but perhaps there - but doubtful XC skiing. Does something like snowboarding count or aerial skiing? Maybe some gymnastics - but rings would be hard for a woman to compete in.
>
> Interesting to think about

I seriously doubt women could compete in the men's downhill. The men run a much longer hill and one that requires more strength to manage. I'd be more inclined to buy a possibility in the slalom.

Futbol Phan

Jun 28, 2017, 12:45:47 PM6/28/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:43:04 AM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> In light of McEnroe's comments re Serena Williams (That she'd rank about 700 on the men's tour & is GOAT women's player), it got me to wondering, at what physical sport are men & women the closest in terms of performance? At what sport would a woman be closest to competing full-time v men?
>
> Note the physical sport caveat - as opposed to primarily equipment sports like shooting, archery, sailing etc
>
> Was thinking maybe track - esp distance - but the top woman's marathon this year would be about 11 minutes behind the top men's time - placing her roughly 500. In the 100, time 135 for men is still a full half second better than the best woman's time.
>
> Maybe a winter sport like skiing?
>
> Or some team sport?
>
> What say you?

Ultrarunning. Not only equal, superior to men:

http://womensrunninguk.co.uk/inspiration/why-women-are-better-at-ultrarunning/

JGibson

Jun 28, 2017, 1:29:57 PM6/28/17
It says that more women finish than men but that men are more likely to win.

Michael Press

Jun 28, 2017, 3:36:31 PM6/28/17
In article <2ec60e3e-2ca5-42c8...@googlegroups.com>,
"the_andr...@yahoo.com" <agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the older saying about Ginger Rogers? She did everything Fred Astair did except backwards in heels.

... when they danced together.

--
Michael Press

xyzzy

Jun 28, 2017, 3:38:58 PM6/28/17
It also said that women were less likely to enter unless they were sure they could complete the race while men are like "sure why not I can do it!". So it may be more a case of selection bias.

Michael Press

Jun 28, 2017, 6:13:40 PM6/28/17
In article <1c7efb5a-2dac-42ef...@googlegroups.com>,
The fat burning is interesting but they are categorical
and there has to be much more to it. Fat burning is a
learned behavior, as I understand it.

Self-selection:

| Apply that hypothesis to ultramarathons and female runners won’t
| have signed up for an ultra unless they feel they are fully
| qualified. Whereas men are more likely to sign up with bravado
| than a relevant running background.

Or instead of bravado say "Let's enter and see what happens."
Next time he will not enter, or will be better prepared.

I say males and females are equal in ultra-long distance running.
From toe to crown human anatomy and physiology is tuned for
ultra long distances. Dogs can out run humans. Humans can outrun
almost any animal for distance.

------

Barkley Marathons since 1995: completed 18 times by 15 runners.
Best female finish: 66 miles out of 100.

Limited to 40 entrants each year.
Entrance protocols are imaginative.

Race number 1 is always given to the person deemed to be the
least likely to finish one lap out of all who have applied, a
"human sacrifice" as Lazarus calls it.

--
Michael Press