No, this isn't just asking for abuse (warning: college football related)

The NOTBCS Guy

Jun 30, 2017, 1:16:11 PM6/30/17
Apparently, the American Football Coaches Association wants the bylaws changed so that a player can play in a limited number of games (say, three, which is the current limit for a player to claim a medical redshirt) during his redshirt season. The reasoning appears to be, they want to allow for situations where a redshirt isn't penalized with losing a year of eligibility if he is put into a game late in the season because another player got injured.

No, I can't think of any coaches that might want to use this to their advantage either...

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 2:00:31 PM6/30/17
1 game per quality point from the previous semester(s).

Marty McMahone

Jun 30, 2017, 2:49:12 PM6/30/17
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 12:16:11 PM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> Apparently, the American Football Coaches Association wants the bylaws changed so that a player can play in a limited number of games (say, three, which is the current limit for a player to claim a medical redshirt) during his redshirt season. The reasoning appears to be, they want to allow for situations where a redshirt isn't penalized with losing a year of eligibility if he is put into a game late in the season because another player got injured.
>
> No, I can't think of any coaches that might want to use this to their advantage either...

It can be abused, but not as bad as the current rule related to medical redshirts -- where players fake injuries to keep their redshirt. It makes more sense to just let everyone have the same exemption.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2017, 12:12:56 AM7/1/17
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 10:16:11 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> Apparently, the American Football Coaches Association wants the bylaws changed so that a player can play in a limited number of games (say, three, which is the current limit for a player to claim a medical redshirt) during his redshirt season. The reasoning appears to be, they want to allow for situations where a redshirt isn't penalized with losing a year of eligibility if he is put into a game late in the season because another player got injured.
>
> No, I can't think of any coaches that might want to use this to their advantage either...

Suspensions, recruiting games, etc.

Yeah, this'll end well...

Mike