In this age of Trumpian politics

Some dued

May 25, 2017, 7:36:32 AM5/25/17
Is this just a clever campaign strategy?

Fox News crew 'watched in disbelief' as Montana's Greg Gianforte 'slammed' and 'punched' reporter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/05/25/fox-news-crew-watched-in-disbelief-as-gianforte-slammed-and-punched-reporter/

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 25, 2017, 8:05:52 AM5/25/17
That was a dumb thing to do - as obnoxious as the press is/can be, being physical with them crosses a line

Here's a take from one of the Fox reporters there - she minces no words

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

Some dued

May 25, 2017, 8:12:43 AM5/25/17
I'm serious though about wondering if this will actually help his campaign in a place like Montana. Probably not, but maybe?

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 25, 2017, 8:29:58 AM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:12:43 AM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> I'm serious though about wondering if this will actually help his campaign in a place like Montana. Probably not, but maybe?

Might - as I understand it, the primary is tomorrow and the vast majority of votes are mail in - so likely a wash.

Frankly, this might play well in most any state depending on party and new source - I mean do you think it'd hurt a Dem candidate in Cali if it was a Fox reporter?

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2017, 10:18:27 AM5/25/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 05:05:50 -0700 (PDT), "The Cheesehusker, Trade
Warrior" <iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:36:32 AM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
>> Is this just a clever campaign strategy?
>>
>> Fox News crew 'watched in disbelief' as Montana's Greg Gianforte 'slammed' and 'punched' reporter
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/05/25/fox-news-crew-watched-in-disbelief-as-gianforte-slammed-and-punched-reporter/
>
>That was a dumb thing to do - as obnoxious as the press is/can be, being physical with them crosses a line

It crosses a line that I have recommended for some time.

In my view he was assaulted by the media and defended himself. If we
were as American as we once were the media would not commit such
reprehensible acts.

I wish Mexico would lower their immigration standards so they could
accept liberals.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 11:22:20 AM5/25/17
I think it would hurt a dem candidate in cali, ch.

Surely you don't think there is right / left equivalence around the whole "war on media" thing? Regarding the "mainstream media" as the enemy seems like a strictly right winger thing, to me (been that way for decades, although it's really ramped up recently).

The bigger issue is that the guy clearly has an issue with impulse control, anyhow. I'd hope that'd be what folks in any state would take away, instead of focusing on the media aspect - today he's body slamming a reporter, tomorrow he's choking out a ref at his kiddos soccer game.

Cheers.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 25, 2017, 11:31:09 AM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:22:20 AM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> I think it would hurt a dem candidate in cali, ch.
>
> Surely you don't think there is right / left equivalence around the whole "war on media" thing? Regarding the "mainstream media" as the enemy seems like a strictly right winger thing, to me (been that way for decades, although it's really ramped up recently).

Really? Fox seems to bear more than a bit of venom from the left

> The bigger issue is that the guy clearly has an issue with impulse control, anyhow. I'd hope that'd be what folks in any state would take away, instead of focusing on the media aspect - today he's body slamming a reporter, tomorrow he's choking out a ref at his kiddos soccer game.

no dispute

And I'm hopeful perhaps this will ton down some of the rhetoric from *both* sides calling for violence/revolution/etc etc etc - there's been FAR too much

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2017, 12:51:10 PM5/25/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 08:22:16 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>The bigger issue is that the guy clearly has an issue with impulse control,=
> anyhow.

More accurately he has a problem with being assaulted by the media.
His rights were abused by persistence and pushing the mike in his
face.

Back to absurd projections...

>today he's body slamming a reporter, =
>tomorrow he's choking out a ref at his kiddos soccer game.

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 1:19:00 PM5/25/17
Hugh, when wingers won't even believe a fox news reporter who witnessed the event and sharply disputes the talking points you just pulled straight out of the guy's damage control post assault press release... what's the point?

You're always going to be able to find some nutty blogger that'll echo how you wish things happened, how you'd like the world to be. If that's enough to convince you, so be it - but there's no point in pretending you're arguing about, you know, reality.

Cheers.

Futbol Phan

May 25, 2017, 1:33:31 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:31:09 AM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:

> And I'm hopeful perhaps this will ton down some of the rhetoric from *both* sides calling for violence/revolution/etc etc etc - there's been FAR too much

Seems unlikely when you get reactions like this:

"We all make mistakes," said Ohio GOP Rep. Steve Stivers, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee.

IOW, no big deal, nothing to see here, vote for the thug.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 25, 2017, 1:37:27 PM5/25/17
Amazing what people will excuse when it's on "their" side

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 1:48:29 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:33:31 PM UTC-5, Futbol Phan wrote:
eh...it's for the people of montana to decide if it's a disqualifying factor or not. Lets just see who wins :)

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 1:51:37 PM5/25/17
Im personally enjoying watching the democrats spend 8 figures on individual house seats to lose them anyways.....is this guy they are getting behind(the bernie sanders wannaba with the guitar) unemployed like the guy in georgia they threw 15 million dollars down the drain at? Or does he actually have a real job?

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2017, 3:01:12 PM5/25/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 10:18:55 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Hugh, when wingers won't even believe a fox news reporter who witnessed the event and sharply disputes the talking points you just pulled straight out of the guy's damage control post assault press release... what's the point?

First of all that media assault is often shown on TV and nothing is
done about it. It's not just one instance. Beating the crap out of
someone usurping your rights might not change anything permanently but
we can solve one problem at a time.

>You're always going to be able to find some nutty blogger that'll echo how you wish things happened, how you'd like the world to be. If that's enough to convince you, so be it - but there's no point in pretending you're arguing about, you know, reality.

Fortunately I am seldom, if ever, in areas of what you call reality.
So I can pursue my own reality.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2017, 3:02:55 PM5/25/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT), "The Cheesehusker, Trade
Warrior" <iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Amazing what people will excuse when it's on "their" side

I would have congratulated Obama for flattening the media man if he
had cause and been man enough to do it.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 25, 2017, 4:30:48 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:36:32 AM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
Reading the details of the story, it sounds like the reporter was over-the-top rude and it set the candidate off. I'm not defending the candidate's actions, but that doesn't excuse the reporter barging into a private room being set up for another interview, sticking his recorder in the guy's face and refusing to leave when asked. repeatedly.

If journalists wonder about the lack of civility in politics, they need only find a mirror to see a large part of it.

Doug

xyzzy

May 25, 2017, 5:47:35 PM5/25/17
So when a Breitbart operator rudely accosted Rep Bob Etheridge in 2010, Etheridge's reaction was justified, even restrained, right?

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 26, 2017, 8:21:26 AM5/26/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 13:30:46 -0700 (PDT), Emperor Wonko the Sane
<do...@sorensensdomain.net> wrote:

>Reading the details of the story, it sounds like the reporter was over-the-=
>top rude and it set the candidate off. I'm not defending the candidate's a=
>ctions,

I am. And the response to the election of President Trump would serve
as a precdent for more force in resisting assaults.

The only thing they guy did wrong was to apologize to the reported
after he won the election.