Arming Teachers

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Feb 28, 2018, 3:43:00 PM2/28/18
I like this.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/heres-how-to-stop-deranged-madman-killing-defenseless-kids/

By no means a perfect solution. If the world were perfect, we wouldn’t need a solution.

michael anderson

Feb 28, 2018, 11:54:07 PM2/28/18
Im ok with arming teachers and admins, but there are potential limitations to it....there is no guarantee the teacher(s) will be any closer to the action than the school resource officer for one.
second I would imagine at some schools it would be tough to find enough volunteers.
still, I think adding more guns to the picture being held by non-evil people is always a good idea.

dnrapp

Mar 1, 2018, 1:49:00 AM3/1/18
Teachers non-evil? I guess they are not postal workers. Now all we need is to have some student to over power the teacher and take the gun away and use it in class to make people rethink that proposal.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 1, 2018, 7:50:55 AM3/1/18
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:42:57 -0800 (PST), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I like this.
>
>https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/heres-how-to-stop-deranged-madman-killi=
>ng-defenseless-kids/

I have second thoughts about arming female teachers. When the trouble
starts they may be off somewhere having sex with 14 year old boys.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 1, 2018, 7:55:31 AM3/1/18
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 22:48:57 -0800 (PST), dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Teachers non-evil? I guess they are not postal workers. Now all we need is =
>to have some student to over power the teacher

Now that there be funny. I taught high school for 1 1/4 years. I
invited several into the alley at the back of the school to discuss
their behavior - but no takers.

But that was back in the one-on-one days and someone could holler
"calf-rope".

michael anderson

Mar 1, 2018, 8:23:01 AM3/1/18
the teachers that have access to the guns will presumably have them locked away somewhere in the room with a code they know or something. It's not like they are going to have their gun holstered as they teach algebra.

Richard OKeefe

Mar 2, 2018, 7:35:33 AM3/2/18
OTOH if the weapons are locked even in a biometric small safe in the
classroom they'll be easy to steal. If they're in a real centrally
located "gun safe" they'll be hard to get to. Having them safely
holstered on the teacher is what I'd hope for.

Looky here, a modern semiautomatic handgun, even without an external
safety like a Glock, has enough other safety devices to render them 100%
safe from accidental discharges. Carry them in Condition 3, that is,
with a full magazine inserted but leaving the gun uncocked and the
chamber empty. The extra 1/2 second it will take the teacher to rack the
slide won't matter because in almost every case there will be some
warning of impending problems.

Dick OKeefe

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 2, 2018, 9:24:08 AM3/2/18
On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 07:35:25 -0500, Richard OKeefe <rbok...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>OTOH if the weapons are locked even in a biometric small safe in the
>classroom they'll be easy to steal. If they're in a real centrally
>located "gun safe" they'll be hard to get to. Having them safely
>holstered on the teacher is what I'd hope for.

I'm having a very difficult time concluding that teachers should be
armed. Based on the media headlines, and what I actually see as our
granddaughter procedes through the grades, even a thorough backgraound
check might not be sufficient. Teachers are not exempt from the common
frailties of others.

I don't see a cure-all for the gun problem, but designing methods to
prevent unqualified people from possessing them is, to me, the best
start. For those that fall through the crack, I suggest no publicity
and extremely harsh treatment to their last breath.

Solving the problem before it occurs is better than a Band Aid later.
Tough problems require tough solutions whether we like it or not IMO.

michael anderson

Mar 2, 2018, 10:16:43 AM3/2/18
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 6:35:33 AM UTC-6, Richard OKeefe wrote:
> On 3/1/2018 8:22 AM, michael anderson wrote:

> >> Teachers non-evil? I guess they are not postal workers. Now all we need is to have some student to over power the teacher and take the gun away and use it in class to make people rethink that proposal.
> >
> > the teachers that have access to the guns will presumably have them locked away somewhere in the room with a code they know or something. It's not like they are going to have their gun holstered as they teach algebra.
> >
> OTOH if the weapons are locked even in a biometric small safe in the
> classroom they'll be easy to steal. If they're in a real centrally
> located "gun safe" they'll be hard to get to. Having them safely
> holstered on the teacher is what I'd hope for.

well thats just not going to happen.

Futbol Phan

Mar 2, 2018, 11:25:30 AM3/2/18
Better add professors and dorm RAs to the armed prevention agents...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/02/gunman-opens-fire-at-central-michigan-university-2-shot.html

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Mar 2, 2018, 12:15:31 PM3/2/18
Throughout my college years, I knew of a number of guns on or around campus - in cars, rooms, or being carried.