Spot the Loonie 1494780827

Michael Press

May 14, 2017, 12:54:27 PM5/14/17
ABC cancels _Last Man Standing_.

--
Michael Press

GrtArtiste

May 14, 2017, 1:37:01 PM5/14/17
On 5/14/2017 12:54 PM, Michael Press wrote:
> ABC cancels _Last Man Standing_.

Never saw it...not gonna miss it.

GrtArtiste

Michael Press

May 14, 2017, 1:56:19 PM5/14/17
In article <ofa4dj$111$1...@dont-email.me>,
Never watched it either.
What is remarkable is that the TV show has very high ratings.
Tim Allen is a funny guy and can carry a movie.
_Galaxy Quest_, for one.

--
Michael Press

meda...@gmail.com

May 14, 2017, 3:30:44 PM5/14/17
He was *very* good in that. However, I would not say that he carried the movie. I think it carried itself, in addition to having an excellent cast. I'm surprised and honestly impressed that you find humor in something.

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 15, 2017, 10:47:28 AM5/15/17
That sucks. My wife and I have been watching that with our oldest for several years now.

Cheers.

xyzzy

May 15, 2017, 11:03:54 AM5/15/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 12:54:27 PM UTC-4, Michael Press wrote:
> ABC cancels _Last Man Standing_.

If it wasn't a righteous cancellation, FOX studios should have no trouble finding another network to buy it, so never fear you'll still be able to watch it.

Alternate point of view FWIW: https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/5/12/15628038/last-man-standing-canceled-tim-allen

Suggested alternate explanations from that article that I think could be true, in order of perceived credibility (by me):.

1. ABC is bringing back American Idol and needs to clear room on the schedule for it as they expect it to be an even bigger hit (note: I'd watch Last Man Standing over American Idol any day of the week but I'm not the demographic that advertisers seek).
2. The audience skews old. Raw numbers of viewers are less important than demographics and viewers over 50 might as well not exist as far as advertisers are concerned.
3. The show was getting expensive relative to its return on investment (see 1 and 2 above)

You never know, Tim Allen is no dummy he might have known it was going to be a tough
renew and made his remarks about being a Trump supporter in Hollywood is like Germany in the 1930s as a pre-emptive strike.

One final point, when I've posted before about profitable companies laying off workers usually rsfc conservatives respond along the lines that if they believe they can be even more profitable doing that and investing elsewhere, why shouldn't they? So why shouldn't the same latitude apply to ABC/Disney here?

Michael Press

May 15, 2017, 1:48:36 PM5/15/17
In article <c1dee28e-483d-4231...@googlegroups.com>,
meda...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 1:56:19 PM UTC-4, Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <ofa4dj$111$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > GrtArtiste <nine...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Never saw it...not gonna miss it.
> > >
> > > GrtArtiste
> >
> > Never watched it either.
> > What is remarkable is that the TV show has very high ratings.
> > Tim Allen is a funny guy and can carry a movie.
> > _Galaxy Quest_, for one.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press
>
> He was *very* good in that. However, I would not say that he carried the movie.

_Galaxy Quest_ carries itself as you say. It is not an example of what I mean.
_The Santa Claus_ is an example.

> I think it carried itself, in addition to having an excellent cast. I'm surprised and honestly impressed that you find humor in something.

GQ had a very strong cast with
Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shaloub and Sam Rockwell.
Notice that Tim Allen was equal to the job.

"Am I too late for Alexander's panic attack?"

--
Michael Press

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 15, 2017, 1:59:22 PM5/15/17
Galaxy quest was a classic.

Many may not know he was a western michigan grad who was arrested in the small airport near wmu for smuggling 1.5 lbs of coke.

Back them that was only worth 3 years in jail. If it happened today, we likely wouldn't have ever had a galaxy quest.

Also his two main TV shows showcased the two areas he grew up, suburbs of denver and suburbs of detroit.

Cheers.