DEER PEOPLE WHO REQUIRE A HUMAN CHAIN TO ESCAPE A RIP TIDE

Mercellus Bohren

Jul 12, 2017, 12:22:36 PM7/12/17

Swim parallel to the shore until you are no longer in the rip tide. Depending on the outflow channel from the shore, you may only have to swim a few feet over.

The 'feel good' report I saw about this incident never said anything about how to easily get out of a rip tide. Thanks FAKE NEWS.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 12:47:44 PM7/12/17
I'm pretty sure you get daily Raleigh Rip updates on how to escape.

Until I moved here, I thought that was one of those things everybody knew.

xyzzy

Jul 12, 2017, 1:09:20 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:47:44 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you get daily Raleigh Rip updates on how to escape.
>
> Until I moved here, I thought that was one of those things everybody knew.

It's one thing to know how to escape a deadly situation when you're not in it and calmly considering it.

It's another to actually implement it when you are in the situation and death is staring you in the face. Human factors can be interesting.

This doesn't apply just to riptides. It's a significant thing in aviation. So many pilots read so many accident reports and think "how could he be so dumn"

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jul 12, 2017, 1:26:10 PM7/12/17
"It was a good day--nobody died!" ($1 Kevin Tighe).

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 1:30:13 PM7/12/17
"He tried to close the door to the plane"
"He couldn't fly/land the plane with one engine"

A lot of it is definitely practice, experience, and being so confident I what you are doing will work or is at least he best option that you can remain calm.

I've swum and surfed in a lot of strong ocean currents, so rips don't worry me. I've played in them enough as a kid to feel comfortable to the point I could get a breath and go. I don't swim surf as much these days, but the averGe rip still wouldn't worry me. However, strong river currents freak me out a bit even though I grew up in rivers too.

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 1:33:08 PM7/12/17
What I read said they tried swimming parallel and oblique and had no luck.

Mercellus Bohren

Jul 12, 2017, 2:36:23 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 1:33:08 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> What I read said they tried swimming parallel and oblique and had no luck.

Well for one thing, I'm wrong, they were in a rip tide, not a rip current. I was thinking about a rip current. I think if you are in a rip tide, that's a bigger thing and it may not be as easy to get out of. A rip current is much narrower than a rip tide.

Mercellus Bohren

Jul 12, 2017, 3:23:01 PM7/12/17
I've luckily never been in a life or death situation that required quick thinking. Had I been, I wouldn't be here typing this.

I have played a lot of video games that required quick thinking to avoid game death. I've done really dumb things in a game when stressed while being surrounded by monsters/zombies/aliens. When you have to do a lot of things correctly, in order, in a short period of time to avoid sure death, a wrong and stupid move is easy. What's even worse is when a 14-year-old punk t-bags over your mangled body while trash talking, just after you have completed the aforementioned wrong and stupid move, and before you have re-spawned elsewhere.

Here is me from a youtube showing my most recent gaming passion. I'm not sure it gets better than STEEP. Best sports game I've ever played.

https://youtu.be/JXSYn1noOtY

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 3:46:47 PM7/12/17
I almost drowned in a similar situation at Black's Beach San Diego once about 30 years ago. When I was too tired to keep swimming I went under it turns out it wasn't so deep so I was able to dig my toes in the sand push my way out a little at a time. I didn't know the trick about swimming parallel, I got lucky.
Oddly enough once I thought I was going to drown, I really did see something kind of like my life flashing before my eyes, not quite that grandiose but more or less.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 4:06:58 PM7/12/17
Those were little baitfish.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 4:08:19 PM7/12/17
Same thing.

A rip is simply an outflow of water pushed up on to the beach.

Mercellus Bohren

Jul 12, 2017, 4:25:19 PM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 4:08:19 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Same thing.
>
> A rip is simply an outflow of water pushed up on to the beach.

Here's a fun site for you to try out!

http://www.jcronline.org/doi/full/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-12-00052.1?code=cerf-site

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 5:20:03 PM7/12/17
Because he's a human. We rsfc things up more often than we admit.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 5:27:44 PM7/12/17
<peewee> I know! </peewee>

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 5:27:54 PM7/12/17
I've had those experiences on motorcycles. Sideways at 100 mph in the
rain? Don't panic and let the bike come back pretty much on its own.

80 mph going into a curve, then you realize that there's gravel all over
the road? Let the bike go to the last inch of pavement, then dive in
harder after you get past the gravel but before you go off the top.

For me, it's a zenish thing.

AFA rip tides, living in west mi I've seen instructions on TV about this
for decades.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 5:41:04 PM7/12/17
Haha.

Motorcycle.dirt.competence
Motorcycle.pavement.trepidation

My brothers owned street bikes and a rode a lot of them when I worked at a motorcycle shop, but I am by no means an accomplished street guy.

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 5:50:14 PM7/12/17
If I hadn't ridden dirt before I started riding on the street the
probability of my death would have been far greater.

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 6:00:36 PM7/12/17
Let me add that the 2 incidents I mentioned happened on a 1975 Kawasaki
Z1B 900.

Michael Press

Jul 12, 2017, 6:08:47 PM7/12/17
In article <61765ca0-8d4f-45af...@googlegroups.com>,
Downhill on a bicycle a car makes an illegal left turn in front of me.
I had pictured this. Put the bicycle sideways scrubbing energy with
anything there was. Missed ramming him by that -> <- much.
Potato chipped the rear wheel.

Visualize ahead of time.

--
Michael Press

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 6:24:49 PM7/12/17
Going 100 in the rain? Were you hoping to die?

Michael Press

Jul 12, 2017, 7:19:04 PM7/12/17
In article <7b984725-69d4-4c55...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Going 100 in the rain? Were you hoping to die?

How fast have you gone on a bicycle?

--
Michael Press

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 9:43:05 PM7/12/17
No idea, 34mph maybe?

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 9:56:32 PM7/12/17
On 7/12/2017 6:24 PM, Some dued wrote:
> Going 100 in the rain? Were you hoping to die?

There was a sudden rainfall that dropped a lot of water in just a few
seconds.

That was before I realized that I wasn't invincible.

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 9:58:48 PM7/12/17
Those get really scary at higher speeds. As do smaller motorcycles. I
have a Yamaha 175 Enduro. I got that up to 70 once. That was worse
than the 900 at 100.

Michael Press

Jul 12, 2017, 10:46:29 PM7/12/17
In article <5f878ce5-b62e-418c...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No idea, 34mph maybe?

45 recorded a few times. Then I backed off.
80 on a heavy motorcycle and chickened out.

--
Michael Press

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 10:55:34 PM7/12/17
The fastest I ever went on my 900 is 125. I had it geared for acceleration.

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 11:19:24 PM7/12/17
I got my 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado up to about 90. Fastest I've gone on a MC.

Ken Olson

Jul 12, 2017, 11:35:40 PM7/12/17
On 7/12/2017 11:19 PM, Some dued wrote:
> I got my 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado up to about 90. Fastest I've gone on a MC.

That would be nice to have now.

Some dued

Jul 12, 2017, 11:49:24 PM7/12/17
I sold it about 6 years ago, I liked it but every 5k miles the shaft seal would start leaking oil and I didn't want to tear it down again. I probably should have just figured out the root cause and kept it.

Ken Olson

Jul 13, 2017, 12:27:02 AM7/13/17
On 7/12/2017 11:49 PM, Some dued wrote:
> I sold it about 6 years ago, I liked it but every 5k miles the shaft seal would start leaking oil and I didn't want to tear it down again. I probably should have just figured out the root cause and kept it.

I still have my Kawasaki, but it needs some bucks and TLC to ride again.
I keep thinking about working on it, but life triage keeps putting
other stuff ahead of it.

Your Guzzi was just being Italian and getting oily! ;) Saying that, if
I could buy another bike right now it might well be a Monster 900.

Michael Press

Jul 15, 2017, 3:00:25 PM7/15/17
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:47:44 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure you get daily Raleigh Rip updates on how to escape.
> >
> > Until I moved here, I thought that was one of those things everybody knew.
>
> It's one thing to know how to escape a deadly situation when you're not in it and calmly considering it.
>
> It's another to actually implement it when you are in the situation and death is staring you in the face. Human factors can be interesting.
>
> This doesn't apply just to riptides. It's a significant thing in aviation. So many pilots read so many accident reports and think "how could he be so dumn"

What led him into this?
What measures to I take go avoid the situation?
Visualize what to do in the situation.

--
Michael Press