The glamor of business travel, the myth of Southwest

xyzzy

Aug 9, 2017, 1:57:43 PM8/9/17
I like Southwest in general. They are my go-to airline. But let's be honest they are coasting on decades of built up goodwill.

Their on-time record sucks. Annually they bounce between worst and middle of the pack. Truth is they aren't as good at turning around flights quickly as they think they are.

Flying up here for business my SWA flight RDU-BWI was 30 minutes late. No big deal but the gate agents and FA's were barking at people to sit down fast to try to save the on time departure.

My next flight, BWI-PVD was 3 hours late. It was scheduled to leave at 10:30 pm and I started getting updates that it was going to be late at 3:00 pm--well before I even left home for RDU. This is clearly a system problem, it was the fourth leg of a flight that started in KC and the delay increased with every stop.

So then today gf has a flight on SWA for her job. It's also running 30 mins late and her gate agents and FAs were also barking at people to sit down fast. After they got everyone sat down they said ooops, we misfueled the plane (a mistake probably caused by trying to do it fast) everyone get off so we can transfer the fuel. So much for saving that on-time departure!

I suspect when the 2017 on time stats come out SWA will not do well. They are scheduling their turnarounds too aggressively. They only work if absolutely everything goes right.

unclejr

Aug 9, 2017, 2:07:43 PM8/9/17
My go-to airline is Sun Country. I like it better than Southwest.

agavi...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2017, 2:11:28 PM8/9/17
On time departure is such BS.

I've "departed" the gate a countless number of times only to camp out on the taxiway while my phone is endlessly updated with new arrival information.

Would much rather see a metric I care about instead of one the airline marketing team cares about.

I would like to see something like % of ticketed arrival times met.

Also, AA has been bragging about being some trade association's 2017 airline of the year...since January. Prescient.

agavi...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2017, 2:11:49 PM8/9/17
We don't get the cool new airlines.

xyzzy

Aug 9, 2017, 2:35:12 PM8/9/17
Alliegient is garbage. They are the ValuJet of the 2010s (in every sense of the word).

Don't know about Sun Country. They did not fly where I live or need to go.

I'll stick with the majors until an upstart gets a good reputation.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Aug 9, 2017, 3:41:30 PM8/9/17
Delta pads their flight times like crazy, they're always on time...