New Miata

agavi...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 3:40:26 PM5/9/17
Saw the hardtop in the wild today. Meh.

xyzzy

May 9, 2017, 3:52:06 PM5/9/17
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 3:40:26 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Saw the hardtop in the wild today. Meh.

You mean the coupe? I don't think there's a hardtop version of the ND

michael anderson

May 9, 2017, 5:27:47 PM5/9/17
I saw a new miata can be had less than 25k....is it possible I just spent an *extra* 50k for a little badge on the front of my car?

GrtArtiste

May 9, 2017, 5:54:13 PM5/9/17
Yeah...it's possible.

GrtArtiste

agavi...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 6:20:49 PM5/9/17
Yeah the coupe. Isn't it a targa, effectively a hardtop?

xyzzy

May 9, 2017, 7:58:06 PM5/9/17
No you're also paying for the opportunity to pay $thousands per year to keep it running. I bet they have really good coffee in the customer lounge though!

I had a pla with a Boxster who got to put in a new transmission at 30K miles. Of course his went while on a cross-country road trip. My anecdote is definitive data!

Kidding aside the main value you're paying for IMO is customization. You were able to order your car just how you want it. Porsche is known for offering nearly unlimited customization (so is MINI so you still could have saved big if that was what you were after). Miatas OTOH are mass produced in a limited number of colors and configurations and you can pick from the 2-3 different combinations on dealer lots. Don't ask about ordering, but trading may be possible. When I bought mine I wanted a specific interior and exterior color combination... power hard top, navy blue exterior, tan leather interior, and manual transmission. My dealer had to trade with one in another state to find one. If I had wanted a black interior and automatic transmission (sad! but true) I could picked from any of dozens on local dealer lots and probably got a better deal too.

michael anderson

May 9, 2017, 9:09:46 PM5/9/17

Well they didn't even have the combo i really wanted- I wanted a tan seat color but due to glare/safety concerns they nixed that. I could have got tan but would have come with black with it and I wanted just one color. So went with saddle brown.

I had to order because all the ones on the lot in the states close to me had a bunch of options I didn't want...exhaust packages, sports packages, etc...

So I only added maybe 8k in options. Most people add a lot more apparently. The 3200 dollar pdk was one. I'd have to look at the order sheet again.

But damn I hope my 75k coupe is better than a 25k car....

wolfie

May 9, 2017, 10:25:26 PM5/9/17

"xyzzy" wrote

> Don't ask about ordering, but
> trading may be possible.

That's your dealer. As long as they have
allotment open, they should be happy to
order. Mine was (but found one with the
options/packages I wanted close and
traded for it.)

wolfie

May 9, 2017, 10:33:08 PM5/9/17
"the_andr...@yahoo.com" wrote

> Yeah the coupe. Isn't it a targa, effectively a hardtop?

I believe the rear window and crossbar go with the
top, which makes it a convertible.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 10, 2017, 9:09:22 AM5/10/17
Did he thank you for your "REAL MILITARY SERVICE" that you apparently
lied about?

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

xyzzy

May 10, 2017, 9:22:29 AM5/10/17
Well with Miatas even if a dealer can do an order, there is still an extremely limited number of options and combinations compared to Porsche. But I bet they don't actually make a factory order, they probably trade with another dealer who has what you want in the pipeline.