Lets say Oregon wins out....

michael anderson

Oct 19, 2019, 7:35:04 PM10/19/19

which is still not terribly likely...

what has to happen for them to get a playoff spot?

I know it's a lot, but what exactly is it?

If Texas somehow won the big12 with 2 losses(or Baylor with 1 loss?), is that enough? I think a 1 loss Oklahoma that wins the big12 gets in over them.

Maybe Wisconsin goes on to lose 2 bigten games(today and Illinois), yet still wins the bigten title game over tOSU? but then does 1 loss tOSU get in over them as a non conf winner so does tOSU need 2 losses?

Clemson obviously losing the acc title game would do it, but that's not going to happen.

Another problem for Oregon is that even if you do get in over the title winner from another conference, what if LSU loses to Alabama, finishes their season 11-1, and Alabama wins sec? You have to think under that scenario LSU gets in at 11-1 with wins over Texas, Auburn, Florida even though they aren't a conference winner

Eric Ramon

Oct 19, 2019, 7:44:14 PM10/19/19
the only way Oregon gets in, even winning out, is if Auburn wins the SEC.

michael anderson

Oct 19, 2019, 8:37:09 PM10/19/19
you are placing way too much importance on the auburn connection. Yes how good or bad the loss is matters a little, but we've seen teams make playoffs when they have a loss to a team with 5+ losses. Oklahoma, Clemson.

There are obvious ways Oregon can get in without Auburn winning the sec(which is very unlikely to happen, they are significant underdogs to LSU next week and that loss would pretty much knock them out)

For example?

1) Oregon wins out
2) Texas beats baylor, finishes #2 in big12, beats Oklahoma in title game.
3) One of LSU or Alabama has 2 losses and the other wins the sec title
4) Ohio State wins big12, everyone else has at least 2 losses

Under that scenario(just 1), Oregon is in. Who would get in above them for the 4(or better) seed? A 2 loss Texas isn't getting in over 1 loss Oregon.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 19, 2019, 11:12:27 PM10/19/19
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 17:37:06 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 6:44:14 PM UTC-5, Eric Ramon wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 4:35:04 PM UTC-7, michael anderson wrote=
>:
>> > which is still not terribly likely...
>> >=20
>> > what has to happen for them to get a playoff spot?
>> >=20
>> > I know it's a lot, but what exactly is it?
>> >=20
>> > If Texas somehow won the big12 with 2 losses(or Baylor with 1 loss?), i=
>s that enough? I think a 1 loss Oklahoma that wins the big12 gets in over =
>them.
>> >=20
>> > Maybe Wisconsin goes on to lose 2 bigten games(today and Illinois), yet=
> still wins the bigten title game over tOSU? but then does 1 loss tOSU get=
> in over them as a non conf winner so does tOSU need 2 losses?
>> >=20
>> > Clemson obviously losing the acc title game would do it, but that's not=
> going to happen.
>> >=20
>> > Another problem for Oregon is that even if you do get in over the title=
> winner from another conference, what if LSU loses to Alabama, finishes the=
>ir season 11-1, and Alabama wins sec? You have to think under that scenari=
>o LSU gets in at 11-1 with wins over Texas, Auburn, Florida even though the=
>y aren't a conference winner
>>=20
>> the only way Oregon gets in, even winning out, is if Auburn wins the SEC.
>
>you are placing way too much importance on the auburn connection. Yes how =
>good or bad the loss is matters a little, but we've seen teams make playoff=
>s when they have a loss to a team with 5+ losses. Oklahoma, Clemson. =20
>
>There are obvious ways Oregon can get in without Auburn winning the sec(whi=
>ch is very unlikely to happen, they are significant underdogs to LSU next w=
>eek and that loss would pretty much knock them out)
>
>For example? =20
>
>1) Oregon wins out
>2) Texas beats baylor, finishes #2 in big12, beats Oklahoma in title game. =
>=20
>3) One of LSU or Alabama has 2 losses and the other wins the sec title
>4) Ohio State wins big12, everyone else has at least 2 losses
>
>Under that scenario(just 1), Oregon is in. Who would get in above them for=
> the 4(or better) seed? A 2 loss Texas isn't getting in over 1 loss Oregon.

LSU/Bama (LSU)
Oklahoma
OSU/PSU (OSU)
Clemson

Hugh

darkst...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2019, 11:18:31 PM10/19/19
I think you pretty much have your 4.

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma for the Hurts vs. Bama angle
Ohio State

Mike

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Oct 20, 2019, 9:56:47 AM10/20/19
Ohlahoma ain’t losing.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 20, 2019, 10:19:18 AM10/20/19
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 20:18:29 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:
As much as it hurts, Bama ain't gonna be there. With Tua hurt Bama
will lose to LSU and Moo U.

Hugh