SSB. ISB?

xyzzy

Oct 23, 2020, 1:01:20 PM10/23/20
[totally OT to football or politics and maybe only of local interest, but if you're looking for a fun google rabbit hole...]

A newspaper article suggested by google sent me down a rathole of Old Raleigh society gossip.

Starting with this: https://www.newsobserver.com/article246608943.html
Which links to this: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246655138.html

tl;dr: society couple was married for about 5 years in the late 1960s. Into the 1990s they were still fighting over the divorce. Ex-wife has been her own lawyer on this for about the last 30 years or more and continues to file actions over it. Last year the ex-wife, 93 years old, was forced into bankruptcy and finally lost the house, which is about to become a tear-down in a prime Raleigh location. Googling on her, I found that that last year the US Marshalls had to kick her out (http://ncbankruptcyexpert.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Broughton-Order-to-Marshals.pdf), and then she was charged with B&E trying to get back in. I repeat, she is 93 years old.

For the last 40 or so years she's been suing everyone in sight, googling on her name turns up all kinds of lawsuits and court orders telling her to stop filing the same shit over and over again, for example:
https://www.docketbird.com/court-documents/Broughton-et-al-v-Gregory-et-al/ORDER-granting-9-Motion-For-Prefiling-Injunction-and-ORDER-FOR-PREFILING-INJUNCTION-Signed-by-Senior-Judge-Margaret-B-Seymour-on-10-17-2019-Copy-sent-via-US-Mail-to-Robert-B-Broughton-Jr-and-Celeste-G-Broughton-P-O-Box-19503-Raleigh-NC-27619-9503-Sto/nced-5:2019-cv-00066-00023

It's pure local gossip I know, but a fun google rabbit hole on a Friday and damn, that woman sure knows how to hold a grudge. Talk about the ex-wife from hell (though the ex-husband is no gentleman either, apparently consistently defaulting on his obligations to support his children).

And if you've lived in the Raleigh area, you've heard her last name, Broughton. Ex husband's father is a former governor and US Senator.

Anonymous

Oct 23, 2020, 1:20:02 PM10/23/20
Whatever became of their house? Love that place.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Oct 23, 2020, 1:33:38 PM10/23/20
On 2020-10-23, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [totally OT to football or politics and maybe only of local interest, but if you're looking for a fun google rabbit hole...]
>
> A newspaper article suggested by google sent me down a rathole of Old Raleigh society gossip.
>
> Starting with this: https://www.newsobserver.com/article246608943.html
> Which links to this: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246655138.html
>
> tl;dr: society couple was married for about 5 years in the late 1960s. Into the 1990s they were still fighting over the divorce. Ex-wife has been her own lawyer on this for about the last 30 years or more and continues to file actions over it. Last year the ex-wife, 93 years old, was forced into bankruptcy and finally lost the house, which is about to become a tear-down in a prime Raleigh location.

Pretty nice tear-down....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2529-White-Oak-Rd-Raleigh-NC-27609/6381634_zpid/

Hard to believe from that picture it is only 3500 square feet -- hell the garage looks
that big (yes, I know that isn't part of ASQ).

--
The minimum wage law is most properly described as a law saying
employers must discriminate against people who have low skills.

xyzzy

Oct 23, 2020, 2:03:31 PM10/23/20
She lost it in bankruptcy last year. According to the first linked article (which got me interested in this whole story) it was sold in the bankruptcy auction to a Cary couple that is going to tear down the house and replace it with four lots. Currently people interested in preservation can make an appointment go into the house and make bids on pieces they want to salvage.

xyzzy

Oct 23, 2020, 2:09:42 PM10/23/20
I just realized the original article is "subscriber exclusive" so I guess you can't see it at all without a subscription. So here are some excerpts:

In an unusual liquidation sale, the home is being auctioned off and disassembled the way it was built in 1938: one piece at a time. Whatever is left after salvagers have come with their hammers and pry bars, reciprocating saws and shovels, will be bulldozed and hauled away.

In late October or early November, the lot will be cleared and the nearly three acres the Broughton house once commanded will become four home sites in one of Raleigh’s most prestigious inside-the-Beltline neighborhoods.

A bankruptcy court approved the sale of the home in June 2019 to pay debts, and it was sold at auction to a Cary couple, Anuj and Vinita Mittal, in October of that year.

While some neighbors and preservationists hoped the house would be rehabilitated, Johnny Chappell of Chappell Residential Inc. in Raleigh, who is marketing the property for the Mittals, said it was necessary to take down the existing house in order to reconfigure the original, small lots to accommodate four new homes.

Each new home site will be about three quarters of an acre, Chappell said. As of Thursday, two have sold. The properties were listed at $900,000 to $1.1 million each, Chappell said.

Bits of paper with handwritten bids are taped to the solid pine doors. Someone has a claimed a window here, a cabinet there. One person wants the marble tiles from the dining room, another has dibs on the slate from the porch.

michael anderson

Oct 23, 2020, 2:09:42 PM10/23/20
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:01:20 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:

It amazes me what you can get in certain areas for a million dollars vs others.

I'm assuming this is a 'good' part of raleigh right since it mentions prime location? Supposedly it has 4 separate prime lots ready to go, all for a little over a million. By comparison my old jumbo bungalow(2600 sq ft, not a nice house or updated) in mountain brook/crestline village I used to live on was on just 1 lot much smaller than any of those 4 and it's current value is about the same as what this is being sold and it includes 4 possible lots.

Granted, that area of mtn brook/birmingham is one of the pricier areas for lots that you will find in the southeast not on water....but the idea that you can buy 4 separate lots in a prime area of a city for just over a million(250k/lot) seems too good to be true. That probably goes into one of the reasons I moved from crestline village though(property tax was not good)

xyzzy

Oct 23, 2020, 2:11:16 PM10/23/20
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 2:09:42 PM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:01:20 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
>
> It amazes me what you can get in certain areas for a million dollars vs others.
>
> I'm assuming this is a 'good' part of raleigh right since it mentions prime location? Supposedly it has 4 separate prime lots ready to go, all for a little over a million.

Just to be clear, it's 4 lots for $1 million each, total of $4 million after it's split up.

michael anderson

Oct 23, 2020, 4:18:51 PM10/23/20
ah gotcha...that makes more sense.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Oct 23, 2020, 10:16:40 PM10/23/20
Wow. What a beautiful place.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Oct 23, 2020, 10:25:14 PM10/23/20
Raleigh is a competitive Market.
https://www.redfin.com/city/35711/NC/Raleigh/housing-market

Birmingham is very good, but there's an appreciable difference.
https://www.redfin.com/city/1823/AL/Birmingham/housing-market

It would be interesting to see the overall areas. That's a prime location in that article, but there are others in the area.

michael anderson

Oct 23, 2020, 11:23:31 PM10/23/20
I don't know much about the birmingham market as a whole(just a few areas).....but overall market data doesn't neccessarily reflect housing costs and movement in the areas one might be ok living. Then again maybe in that area I would view an even smaller part of the area as safe and ok to live; I just dont know anything about it.

that said, I read the article/listing wrong at first like I said, and now it makes more sense. A 3/4 acre lot is pretty big, but then again a million dollars for a residential lot in the south is pricey even for that size.

Unless you have just unlimited money(and I certainly don't), I found living on that sort of lot is just not worth it. I've mentioned before that I used to have a bungalow in a part of mtn brook that was pretty pricey...similar to the one in the story by xy(the lot would now be worth a couple hundred thousand less but is maybe 0.40-.45 acres...much smaller), and in the end it just wasnt worth it. It's often a good investment, but the problem is the taxes were such that with even good appreciation which it was getting you lose it and then some to the property tax. Plus I didn't use the elementary school that was driving some of it. But living on relatively expensive(for the deep south...it's all relative) residental land isn't like eating a great steak or going on a fun vacation or whatever....there is no inherent fun in it for the money. So I got tired of paying all that money every month in the form of property tax and interest(I still had a mortgage) just to have a nice lot in the right part of the right neighborhood. So I moved three+ years ago to a smaller bungalow on a much smaller lot in a different part of town. My lot now is like 0.2 acres and lots/teardowns on this part of the street sell for less than half of what my old one would now. By alabama standards still a relatively expensive lot(and if I ever sell this one someone might tear it down), but much much cheaper than the other. And in the end, Im not any less happy day to day here living on a 'lesser' street.

OTOH, you can't deny the investment and longterm appreciation differences of buying a smaller less fancy house for X in an established pricey area vs spending the same X on a new mcmansion in a distant subdivision. The former is almost always going to be worth more ten years later, and often by a lot.....land appreciates, cabinets don't.

xyzzy

Oct 24, 2020, 2:15:15 PM10/24/20
You’re singing my song. For nearly 20 years I lived in a beautiful
showpiece house on 20 acres that I designed myself. I thought I would
always want to live in a place like that. Then after a divorce and meeting
my current wife I sold it, got rid of 90% of my stuff, and moved into her
townhouse. I realized how much of a white elephant the country place had
been, and how liberating it was to lighten my load.

Wife and I can afford to buy a cute bungalow in the fashionable part of
town and sometimes we think it would be cool to do so. But we never pull
the trigger and likely never will because getting back on the mortgage
treadmill is not the least bit attractive to either of us. At this point,
with retirement in sight within a decade for both of us, we’d rather be
debt free than live in the fashionable neighborhoods we like.

What’s important to happiness changes with age I guess.
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Oct 24, 2020, 3:59:55 PM10/24/20
On 2020-10-24, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You???re singing my song. For nearly 20 years I lived in a beautiful
> showpiece house on 20 acres that I designed myself. I thought I would
> always want to live in a place like that. Then after a divorce and meeting
> my current wife I sold it, got rid of 90% of my stuff, and moved into her
> townhouse. I realized how much of a white elephant the country place had
> been, and how liberating it was to lighten my load.
>
> Wife and I can afford to buy a cute bungalow in the fashionable part of
> town and sometimes we think it would be cool to do so. But we never pull
> the trigger and likely never will because getting back on the mortgage
> treadmill is not the least bit attractive to either of us. At this point,
> with retirement in sight within a decade for both of us, we???d rather be
> debt free than live in the fashionable neighborhoods we like.
>
> What???s important to happiness changes with age I guess.

I went on this journey too, in a way. Had a trophy house and realized at
age 45 that we didn't want to be on that treadmill, and moved to a more
humble/affordable house. Got rid of all debt. We've bought with cash since;
haven't had a dollar of debt since 2004.

After a few years in a snowbird situation then a condo, we (I think)
figured out where we want to be. We have a very nice house now, but
somewhat less than we can afford. We choose to travel and be on solid
retirement footing, and maybe even leave the kids a few (not too many,
I hope!) buckaroos.

--
Life isn't fair, but it's good. -- Regina Brett

michael anderson

Oct 25, 2020, 5:08:01 PM10/25/20
my issue with my old bungalow was the 800-900k for the lot(probably more like a million now) wasn't
even in the most fashionable/best part of town. Here is what sold really close a few months ago to my old bungalow, and
you can see from the pic/lot(thats probably about a 750-800k lot if no house is on it) that we aren't talking about some high end looking area where 'all the cool people' live.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5-Montrose-Cir-Mountain-Brk-AL-35213/975922_zpid/

If I wanted something like that now, I'd have to spend a good bit more. So it was a combination of me saying "yeah Im tired of spending a million for a house and over 800k is the lot" and not even getting to live in
the best area for that.
I don't know where those lots you listed in raleigh would rank compatively vs other neighborhoods there. My old bungalow was in a safe and nice area, but it certainly wasn't 'the best'. I suspect its the same for those lots.

And thats another thing I don't understand- how are all these people affording these houses? Thats what I never can figure out....my old bungalow was on a section of streets where non-updated older sorta dumpy looking houses were being sold for about a million(the value of the structure itself was generally 2-250k) and the people buying them were not physicians and ceos and people who made top 1% incomes. They were teachers and nurses and social workers....I just don't get how everyone is affording them. Maybe there parents gave them the money I guess....