What’s your secret service name?

xyzzy

Dec 30, 2018, 10:16:28 AM12/30/18
In Vice, Cheney’s secret service name was Angler.

Fiancee asked me what mine would be. Then I asked her for hers. Turned out
to be a fun game. Maybe rsfc should play it.

Can’t be insulting... the SS wouldn’t insult their charges.

Has to somehow be relevant to who you are, preferably not just your
occupation though ( but a nickname for it works)

Has to flow out of the mouth easily. No tricky or over clever phrases. As
in “X is on the move!” can’t be hard to say or sound dumb.

Mine: Skywalker
Hers: Excel (she works a lot with spreadsheets)

Some suggestions:

Mia: Gambler
Press: Pascal
Cheesehusker: Trader
Connie: Bidder
jb: Combine
Ken O: Sentinel
andrew: Surfer
darkstar: Illuminati

Feel free to improve what I gave you or suggest for anyone or yourself.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Dec 30, 2018, 11:04:47 AM12/30/18
Fiancé’s should be EXCELlency, yours should be Propeller

Michael Press

Dec 30, 2018, 7:59:41 PM12/30/18
In article <q0ang9$pml$1...@dont-email.me>, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In Vice, Cheney’s secret service name was Angler.
>
> Fiancee asked me what mine would be. Then I asked her for hers. Turned out
> to be a fun game. Maybe rsfc should play it.
>
> Can’t be insulting... the SS wouldn’t insult their charges.
>
> Has to somehow be relevant to who you are, preferably not just your
> occupation though ( but a nickname for it works)
>
> Has to flow out of the mouth easily. No tricky or over clever phrases. As
> in “X is on the move!” can’t be hard to say or sound dumb.

Neat.

> Mine: Skywalker
> Hers: Excel (she works a lot with spreadsheets)
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> Mia: Gambler
> Press: Pascal

Pascal is an intellectual ideal weak in the field.

> Cheesehusker: Trader
> Connie: Bidder
> jb: Combine
> Ken O: Sentinel

Entrance music: Jimi Hendricks"s "All along the watchtower."

--
Michael Press

Some dued

Dec 30, 2018, 10:34:16 PM12/30/18
I thought he meant Blaise, not the programming language.

walstib77

Dec 30, 2018, 11:48:42 PM12/30/18
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:34:16 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> I thought he meant Blaise, not the programming language.

It seemed so overt

Michael Press

Dec 31, 2018, 12:45:27 AM12/31/18
In article <fe6bdd6f-f6d4-4736...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought he meant Blaise, not the programming language.

Could be. I only speak to what I know.
Philosophy is outside my ken.

Fibonacci numbers show up in Pascal's triangle
in a regular way, but not as individual entries.

--
Michael Press

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2018, 7:59:08 AM12/31/18
Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <fe6bdd6f-f6d4-4736...@googlegroups.com>,
> Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought he meant Blaise, not the programming language.
>
> Could be. I only speak to what I know.
> Philosophy is outside my ken.

That’s what I meant. Was going for a famous mathematician. But the
programming language I thought was a nice double entendre, being fairly
didactic and rules based. I’m surprised you preferred C which I personally
prefer but it can get chaotic in practice if used by the wrong programmer.

michael anderson

Dec 31, 2018, 8:33:37 AM12/31/18

good thread....I would probably go with 'parlay'. I ordered a vanity license plate that says that

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2018, 9:13:45 AM12/31/18
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:04:47 AM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Fiancé’s should be EXCELlency, yours should be Propeller

Propeller, I like that better.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2018, 10:34:51 AM12/31/18
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 12:59:05 -0000 (UTC), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I have mentioned before that I learned Basic to compare my current NET
salary with my retirement earnings. When the latter was greater (age
59) I retired.

If I need more languages I have a MENSA (dues not current) friend who
can program in 13 languages the last time I counted.

Hugh

unclejr

Dec 31, 2018, 11:00:50 AM12/31/18
Trojan

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2018, 11:25:46 AM12/31/18
btw you secret service name is Bear.

Some dued

Dec 31, 2018, 11:47:29 AM12/31/18
Call Hugh "boaster".

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2018, 11:58:38 AM12/31/18
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 08:25:43 -0800 (PST), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:34:51 AM UTC-5, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 12:59:05 -0000 (UTC), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>=20
>> >
>> >That=E2=80=99s what I meant. Was going for a famous mathematician. But t=
>he
>> >programming language I thought was a nice double entendre, being fairly
>> >didactic and rules based. I=E2=80=99m surprised you preferred C which I =
>personally
>> >prefer but it can get chaotic in practice if used by the wrong programme=
>r.=20
>>=20
>> I have mentioned before that I learned Basic to compare my current NET
>> salary with my retirement earnings. When the latter was greater (age
>> 59) I retired.
>>=20
>> If I need more languages I have a MENSA (dues not current) friend who
>> can program in 13 languages the last time I counted.
>>=20
>> Hugh
>
>btw you secret service name is Bear.

Thankee but I don't deserve that one. I earned Eagle and Commander.

Hugh

Eric Ramon

Dec 31, 2018, 2:04:50 PM12/31/18
I taught myself Pascal many years ago, for data handling. I had a stats package that cost $2500 but didn't have the features of the $5000 one. So I wrote a set of programs that got the job done.

Fast forward to 2018 and I have no idea how I could have done that. I look at the code and I'm all "huh?" And these are long muthablankers!

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2018, 2:08:15 PM12/31/18
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 08:47:26 -0800 (PST), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Call Hugh "boaster".

For you and the other little people who consider a recitation of facts
to be excessive pride and self-satisfaction, that will do.

Hugh

Michael Press

Dec 31, 2018, 3:00:40 PM12/31/18
In article <q0d3qp$7ce$1...@dont-email.me>, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > In article <fe6bdd6f-f6d4-4736...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I thought he meant Blaise, not the programming language.
> >
> > Could be. I only speak to what I know.
> > Philosophy is outside my ken.
>
> That’s what I meant. Was going for a famous mathematician.

Thank you. I am not worthy.

> But the
> programming language I thought was a nice double entendre, being fairly
> didactic and rules based. I’m surprised you preferred C which I personally
> prefer but it can get chaotic in practice if used by the wrong programmer.

The latter is where the craft and art come in.
Early on I had a listing of Lisp written in macro assembler.
A study in transparency. Read the masters.
I subscribe to the enough rope principle in all things.

Good. I surprised you. You might be thinking of grammar and detail.
Equally important in English prose, computer programming and mathematics.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Dec 31, 2018, 3:01:58 PM12/31/18
In article <5c2a497a....@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bear it is.

--
Michael Press

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Dec 31, 2018, 3:28:48 PM12/31/18
That’s funny. I was talking to someone the other day and he started asking technical questions about a program I wrote to fill enteral diets and I just looked at him like he was speaking another language. I didn’t even know half the stuff he was talking about. Some of he terminology was long forgotten.

Some dued

Dec 31, 2018, 7:23:48 PM12/31/18
I've written lots of code in lots of languages that wouldn't mean anything to me now. It only takes a few years to forgot the intracacies of a language (for me). Strangely C has always stuck with me over years of disuse though not C++, I have to relearn that shit.

Michael Press

Dec 31, 2018, 11:22:41 PM12/31/18
In article <cbed5130-c81b-4735...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've written lots of code in lots of languages that wouldn't mean anything to me now. It only takes a few years to forgot the intracacies of a language (for me). Strangely C has always stuck with me over years of disuse though not C++, I have to relearn that shit.

C is organic. Arose from a macro assembler and you can feel it.
C is written to accomplish things, such as writing a UNIX kernel.
It is very spare, yet coherent, so there is little to forget.

I like Perl and can write complex data structure in Perl but it
is a slog. They are simplicity itself in C. The thing about
complex data structures is you first design one, then write it,
then traverse it. If you have trouble traversing it, then that is
a clue.

In many languages I have to deal with the author's idiosyncrasies
but not C.

--
Michael Press