looking back on trumpcare, glad it failed for now......

michael anderson

Mar 27, 2017, 12:59:26 PM3/27/17

because now the push from the GOP and Trump going into tax cuts will be one that means business and will be all about coming together and making it happen.

Had trumpcare gone smoothly my concern would be that republicans might pat themselves on the back a bit and not be as determined to make sure tax cuts go through asap. But now with this setback, they know that they can't afford another loss and are going to be more determined than ever to put small differences aside and pass something big/good.

Which is a good thing for those of us who care about tax cuts 20x more than obamacare.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 27, 2017, 1:22:42 PM3/27/17
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 09:59:24 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>because now the push from the GOP and Trump going into tax cuts will be one=
> that means business and will be all about coming together and making it ha=
>ppen.
>
>Had trumpcare gone smoothly my concern would be that republicans might pat =
>themselves on the back a bit and not be as determined to make sure tax cuts=
> go through asap. But now with this setback, they know that they can't aff=
>ord another loss and are going to be more determined than ever to put small=
> differences aside and pass something big/good.
>
>Which is a good thing for those of us who care about tax cuts 20x more than=
> obamacare.

We must not read the same papers. My local bugle included the amount
of tax cuts based on replacement of the UnACA.

The UnACA remaining in place is further proof of the difficulty in
curing stupid.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 27, 2017, 1:32:42 PM3/27/17
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Which is a good thing for those of us who care about tax cuts 20x more than=
> obamacare.

Your tax problem is not going away as long as the country is infested
with liberals.

michael anderson

Mar 27, 2017, 1:38:02 PM3/27/17
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 12:22:42 PM UTC-5, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 09:59:24 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
> <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >because now the push from the GOP and Trump going into tax cuts will be one=
> > that means business and will be all about coming together and making it ha=
> >ppen.
> >
> >Had trumpcare gone smoothly my concern would be that republicans might pat =
> >themselves on the back a bit and not be as determined to make sure tax cuts=
> > go through asap. But now with this setback, they know that they can't aff=
> >ord another loss and are going to be more determined than ever to put small=
> > differences aside and pass something big/good.
> >
> >Which is a good thing for those of us who care about tax cuts 20x more than=
> > obamacare.
>
> We must not read the same papers. My local bugle included the amount
> of tax cuts based on replacement of the UnACA.

this is a myth that has already been debunked. Tax cuts can and will get done without healthcare reform.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 2:54:21 PM3/27/17
Who claimed you couldn't do tax cuts outside of the healthcare bill(s) there, MythBusters?

Pretty sure all that happened was multiple people pointing out to you that twas the Huge tax cuts which put the H in aHca.

Hth.

Cheers.

michael anderson

Mar 27, 2017, 3:34:30 PM3/27/17
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 1:54:21 PM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Who claimed you couldn't do tax cuts outside of the healthcare bill(s) there, MythBusters?
>
> Pretty sure all that happened was multiple people pointing out to you that twas the Huge tax cuts which put the H in aHca.

there were tax cuts as part of this health care plan, but again it was a completely separate issue than the 'big tax cuts'.....

> Hth.
>
> Cheers.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 7:57:05 PM3/27/17
I agree with that, mia. When you say "this is a myth that has been debunked", I have no idea what you're talking about.

The aHca was intended to largely be a vehicle for some pretty YUGE tax cuts. That doesn't mean they can't pass some other tax cuts, as a standalone or (more likely) attached to some other (more appealing to the 75% who won't benefit from those tax cuts) legislation.

Cheers.

wolfie

Mar 28, 2017, 7:18:04 AM3/28/17
"michael anderson" wrote

> Tax cuts can and will get done without healthcare reform.

Healthcare reform was supposed to save money. The money
saved would be used for tax cuts. No healthcare reform, smaller
tax cuts. That's one reason they did it first.

Everyone loves tax cuts - as long as it doesn't explode the
deficit. So they needed to find places to cut spending. One
of those places was lowering long-term spending on Medicare.
That's failed, so there's billions of dollars that can't be moved
to tax cuts.

They'll get some money from saying the tax cuts will increase
economic activity. But the vast majority of spending is on
Medicare/Medicaid (now untouchable), defense (going up, so
not only untouchable but another reduction in the money that
could be used for tax cuts), and Social Security (untouchable.)

So, yeah, they'll get tax cuts - mostly corporate, though shifting
the type of taxes levied (border adjustments, etc.) And they'll
get rid of the estate tax.