Keep on cutting those federal budgets!

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 9:07:21 AM6/12/17
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170610/ISSUE01/170609858/in-era-of-research-cuts-romance-blossoming-much-earlier-between-universities-and-big-pharma

Every dollar wasted on funding a federal administrator who wants to fund a study of The Effect of the Patriarchical Music of Led Zeppelin on the Mating Habits of Lesbian Butterflies (and, of course, the study itself) can new be used to fund research that impacts the lives of others.

Some dued

Jun 12, 2017, 11:11:36 AM6/12/17
Like maybe climate research?

JGibson

Jun 12, 2017, 11:24:14 AM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 9:07:21 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170610/ISSUE01/170609858/in-era-of-research-cuts-romance-blossoming-much-earlier-between-universities-and-big-pharma
>
> Every dollar wasted on funding a federal administrator who wants to fund a study of The Effect of the Patriarchical Music of Led Zeppelin on the Mating Habits of Lesbian Butterflies (and, of course, the study itself) can new be used to fund research that impacts the lives of others.

An excellent way for pharma companies to get cheap labor. Goodbye $100k+ R&D scientists. Hello, $50k postdocs and $30k grad students.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 1:41:59 PM6/12/17
I think you meant climate "research".

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 1:56:29 PM6/12/17
The $100k research scientists have been dropping like flies for some time. Primarily because pharma, wisely moved to an outsourcing model. Keeping all those guys on staff would be like you keeping a carpenter and plumber around the house.

Like most of us, the bench scientist hasn't disappeared, he's just been reincenitvized.

I'm happy for industry to fund education. I'm even happier that we get some random bureaucrat who is value negative out of the picture.

I think the decentralization of medical research is really good because we have lots of folks racing for innovation from different directions. Otherwise, we would have more of a monolithic development model driven by fewer incentives. Lots of orphan drugs in the pipeline. Lots of blue sky stuff being chased.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 1:59:35 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 6:07:21 AM UTC-7, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170610/ISSUE01/170609858/in-era-of-research-cuts-romance-blossoming-much-earlier-between-universities-and-big-pharma
>
> Every dollar wasted on funding a federal administrator who wants to fund a study of The Effect of the Patriarchical Music of Led Zeppelin on the Mating Habits of Lesbian Butterflies (and, of course, the study itself) can new be used to fund research that impacts the lives of others.

Eugh. Next thing you know, we'll get research as to the number of couples who made out to "In The Garden of Eden" by I. Ron Butterfly.

Mike

JGibson

Jun 12, 2017, 2:23:37 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 1:56:29 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> The $100k research scientists have been dropping like flies for some time. Primarily because pharma, wisely moved to an outsourcing model. Keeping all those guys on staff would be like you keeping a carpenter and plumber around the house.
>
> Like most of us, the bench scientist hasn't disappeared, he's just been reincenitvized.

A great way to incentivize everyone out of science. Great for now, but the next generation isn't going to want to go that route. And then R&D will be dead.

JGibson

Jun 12, 2017, 3:01:38 PM6/12/17
To expand on this: most of the research is done by the grunts (postdocs and grad students) who only willingly take those sorts of jobs with the idea that there is something bigger down the road. When people start realizing that becoming a grad student or a postdoc does not lead to doing something bigger and better, you're going to lose your labor supply for these collaborations.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 12, 2017, 3:40:32 PM6/12/17
Thanx for the ear worm !

Some dued

Jun 12, 2017, 5:34:36 PM6/12/17
If I was having my house worked on 24/7 then I would want to keep a carpenter on staff.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 5:40:03 PM6/12/17
We're hiring STEM grads as fast as we can.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 5:43:16 PM6/12/17
That has been the case everywhere. There was never some magical flow from the bench to the C suite that kept giving everyone $30k raises every year.

The last pharma company I worked at, the folks that headed therapeutic specific discovery were ancient and had been in this positions for years. They got there by being innovative. Just like today.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2017, 5:44:36 PM6/12/17
If pharmaceutical companies were running lab experiments 24x7, they'd have halls full of land full of bench scientists.

Some dued

Jun 13, 2017, 12:56:21 AM6/13/17
Well, at least 8/5.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 13, 2017, 7:44:05 AM6/13/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:01:34 -0700 (PDT), JGibson
<james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>To expand on this: most of the research is done by the grunts (postdocs an=
>d grad students) who only willingly take those sorts of jobs with the idea =
>that there is something bigger down the road. When people start realizing =
>that becoming a grad student or a postdoc does not lead to doing something =
>bigger and better, you're going to lose your labor supply for these collabo=
>rations.

There is always something bigger at any job if one is talented and
motivated.

All grad student and postdoc means is that a person stayed in school
longer. When they are first hired they are as green as any college
grad. That's not saying one should compete against them in THEIR
field.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com