What do you mean, california?

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 2:42:38 PM5/4/17
That state is still around? I was assured by rsfcons years ago that it was a giant ponzi scheme on the verge of collapsing. And here it is still around, chugging along, accounting for a huge percentage of our nation's economic growth.

Hmmm. I'm coming dangerously close to supporting the whole "spend more, tax less, let economic growth pay for it" deal.

(Backing away from the ledge - sorry, the context was getting my annual trip plans to go out to pleasanton for work - love going out there, thus humblebrag).

Cheers.

darkst...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 2:44:04 PM5/4/17
Give it three more years.

You'll get either CalExit or an Article V which throws California out of the Union.

Mike

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2017, 2:45:07 PM5/4/17
While you're there, check out some affordable housing in Palo Alto, say....

Not gonna lie - Cali is doing fantastically where it's doing fantastically - SV, Bay Area, parts of LA

Be sure to take a spin thru Richmond or Fresno while you're there.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2017, 2:45:42 PM5/4/17
Naw - it'll take until tech moves out en masse - the cluster effect around Stanford is waaaaaaaay too strong still.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 4, 2017, 3:28:37 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 1:42:38 PM UTC-5, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
> That state is still around? I was assured by rsfcons years ago that it was a giant ponzi scheme on the verge of collapsing. And here it is still around, chugging along, accounting for a huge percentage of our nation's economic growth.

But not population growth.
http://journal.firsttuesday.us/golden-state-population-trends/9007/

> Hmmm. I'm coming dangerously close to supporting the whole "spend more, tax less, let economic growth pay for it" deal.
>
> (Backing away from the ledge - sorry, the context was getting my annual trip plans to go out to pleasanton for work - love going out there, thus humblebrag).

I love visiting Cali. Damn glad I don't live there anymore.

Doug

Ken Olson

May 4, 2017, 3:31:51 PM5/4/17
Like the dot com growth during the 42nd President's term, the growth in
California is happening in spite of its government.

JGibson

May 4, 2017, 3:36:15 PM5/4/17
And the shrinkage of Kansas is in spite of its government?

xyzzy

May 4, 2017, 3:38:02 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 3:31:51 PM UTC-4, Ken Olson wrote:
Love partisan logic.

State X is controlled by [ ]Republicans [ ]Democrats: "It's growing because of its wise government"
State Y is controlled by [ ]Democrats [ ]Republicans: "It's growing despite its government"

Asserted as a truth with nothing to back it up, natch.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 4, 2017, 3:46:39 PM5/4/17
Massachusetts and Washington are cases of states that are blue but
are run pretty well in many ways. They grow like gangbusters, and I
don't see anyone saying "despite". Oregon and Minnesota have a lot
to be said for them as well.

California, New Jersey, Connecticut, and California, not so much.

The fiscal condition of those blue states is pretty evident. California has
a vast unfunded pension liability, and there will have to be a
default. Of course they will try to make it a bailout, but luckily we
have the U.S. Senate and that ain't gonna happen.

If you are a 50-something California state employee counting on your
pension, I'd be very afraid.

It remains to be seen what will happen when those constraints become a
straitjacket for state government, but based on the example of
Illinois it isn't going to be pretty.

--
There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney

JGibson

May 4, 2017, 4:21:00 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 3:46:39 PM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-05-04, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Like the dot com growth during the 42nd President's term, the growth in
> >> California is happening in spite of its government.
> >
> > Love partisan logic.
> >
> > State X is controlled by [ ]Republicans [ ]Democrats: "It's growing because of its wise government"
> > State Y is controlled by [ ]Democrats [ ]Republicans: "It's growing despite its government"
> >
> > Asserted as a truth with nothing to back it up, natch.
>
> Massachusetts and Washington are cases of states that are blue but
> are run pretty well in many ways. They grow like gangbusters, and I
> don't see anyone saying "despite". Oregon and Minnesota have a lot
> to be said for them as well.

Are you sure you're a fan of Massachusetts?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2017/05/04/state-tax-haul-falls-short-again-in-april-widening.html

Ken Olson

May 4, 2017, 4:25:01 PM5/4/17
I don't know, but it could well be.

Ken Olson

May 4, 2017, 4:26:36 PM5/4/17
I actually look at it as that there are many variables. Government can
only control a few.

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 5:50:51 PM5/4/17
While you're there, check out some affordable housing in Palo Alto, say....

Not gonna lie - Cali is doing fantastically where it's doing fantastically - SV, Bay Area, parts of LA

Be sure to take a spin thru Richmond or Fresno while you're there.

Doesn't have to be palo alto even (I'm a zillow junkie) - even Pleasanton home prices are a shock to the system.

There are some relative deals in norcal and inland - you can get a house looking over a small lake at some mountains for around a half mill if you know where to look (smaller house, decent schools, nice golf course).

Sure on the tech industry but even just the bay area has an amazingly diverse economy. Of course, my points of comparison are Detroit and Houston which are both notoriously not diverse.

California will always do fine, imo, because it's just a damn nice place. Pleasant climate. Surprisingly green for an area that isn't super humid. Mountains, lakes, and ocean.

If I didn't have family considerations - if it were just me - I'd already live there.

Cheers.

Eric Ramon

May 4, 2017, 6:20:36 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 2:50:51 PM UTC-7, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:

> California will always do fine, imo, because it's just a damn nice place. Pleasant climate. Surprisingly green for an area that isn't super humid. Mountains, lakes, and ocean.
>
> If I didn't have family considerations - if it were just me - I'd already live there.

for what it's worth, we moved back to Oregon because of the high cost of living in California...San Francisco, specifically.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 4, 2017, 6:36:15 PM5/4/17
I think "pretty well in many ways" can cover that. It ain't Illinois,
that's for sure.

--
Give me a young man in whom there is something of the old,
and an old man with something of the young. -- Cicero

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2017, 8:54:32 PM5/4/17
Wouldn't be shocked if it ends up highly stratified - the people who can afford to live there and those who can't afford to move.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2017, 8:55:03 PM5/4/17
It's Kansas. Would you willingly live there?

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 4, 2017, 11:23:03 PM5/4/17
I decided not to move to SF for the same reason. You have many, many
middle class people deciding to leave California. It is growing at the
high end of the income scale, and at the low end. Highest rate of
poverty in the country, and the most rich people.

--
People who would hamper free speech always assume that they're designing
a world in which only their enemies will have to shut up.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 5, 2017, 8:57:59 AM5/5/17
And I don't know what is meant by that anyway. As far as I can tell,
Kansas is in the middle of the pack both on population growth and
GDP growth, and in GDP it is on average growing faster than the U.S.

--
The problem with Internet quotations is that many of them
are not genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln

plai...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 9:59:42 AM5/5/17
Mike, for what it's worth, the CalExit movement has imploded because the guy pushing it has moved to Russia.

Ken Olson

May 5, 2017, 11:18:46 PM5/5/17
I would much rather live there than on the A&P coasts.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

May 6, 2017, 10:31:44 PM5/6/17

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 7, 2017, 8:56:10 AM5/7/17
"This represents the ratcheting up of a regulatory regime that will slow California’s already-torpid rate of issuing building permits, which is well below the national average."

I wish they'd fix that.

Cheers.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 7, 2017, 4:09:17 PM5/7/17
In a way, they can't. Earthquakes cap vertical building size and water shortages cap development along the coast. Amount of land isn't the issue....