2 mile sniper shot

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 22, 2017, 8:17:44 AM6/22/17
Ken is gonna dig this...

What the article doesn't talk about, are the technical aspects required to take such a shot - humidity, wind speed and rotation of the earth all have to be accounted for - more like firing artillery than anything

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4628224/Canadian-sniper-kills-ISIS-fighter-TWO-MILES-away.html

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 22, 2017, 12:00:39 PM6/22/17
Once in OK when I was about 12 I was riding in the country. My uncle
stopped, handed me a hand gun and pointed to a jackrabbit more than
100 yards away in a field.

I shot the rabbit!!! Elementary - point the gun at the rabbit and aim
exactly high enough to account for the distance.

And they thought it was luck.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Ken Olson

Jun 22, 2017, 1:42:38 PM6/22/17
When they start talking of flight time in seconds it's a long damb shot.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 22, 2017, 1:50:56 PM6/22/17
No kidding.

Interesting teh Canucks are so good - small numbers and all that, but still. Must be their hockey training!

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2017, 7:23:08 AM6/23/17
Where's the kaboom?

It'll be here after you're dead.

xyzzy

Jun 24, 2017, 9:19:56 AM6/24/17
<geezer>
Classic MASH reference.

"I was wrong Hawk. You do hear the bullet"
</geezer>

Richard OKeefe

Jun 25, 2017, 7:40:05 AM6/25/17
In this case he just may have been right. Bullet traveled 11,300 ft in
10 seconds, average speed 1130 fps. The speed of sound at sea level is
1225 fps so it prolly beat the bullet there.

Dick OKeefe

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 25, 2017, 7:47:14 AM6/25/17
That doesn't give much time to duck.

Ken Olson

Jun 26, 2017, 12:11:48 AM6/26/17
The altitude would be an interesting factor. I suspect they were at a
bit of it.