So long, Bo.

xyzzy

Nov 30, 2014, 11:02:39 AM11/30/14
<gp>

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 11:13:14 AM11/30/14
Eichorst can suck my dick. Welcome to 7-5.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Nov 30, 2014, 11:16:44 AM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:02:39 AM UTC-6, xyzzy wrote:
> <gp>

Let the coaching carousel begin

Scott Frost perhaps?

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 11:23:06 AM11/30/14
hoke.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Nov 30, 2014, 11:41:15 AM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:23:06 AM UTC-6, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> hoke.

ayb? ysb....

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 11:57:33 AM11/30/14
:-)

Dan Hoover

Nov 30, 2014, 12:53:31 PM11/30/14
Al Groh

Thomas R. Kettler

Nov 30, 2014, 1:10:51 PM11/30/14
In article <cfa8cfb1-8d26-468a...@googlegroups.com>,
Dan Hoover <hoove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Al Groh

They should do what they should have done years ago: hire Turner Gill.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

agavi...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2014, 1:14:10 PM11/30/14
I wonder if Solich is available.

Rick Meaney

Nov 30, 2014, 3:12:18 PM11/30/14
In article <87c06016-75c8-4d9c-a71b-
b60914...@googlegroups.com>
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> :-)

Nobody will miss that feedlot worker. Maybe he can get a job
working for Cargill.

GrtArtiste

Nov 30, 2014, 3:28:16 PM11/30/14
On 11/30/2014 2:58 PM, Rick Meaney wrote:

> Nobody will miss that feedlot worker. Maybe he can get a job
> working for Cargill.

I'm thinking he won't need a feedlot job:

http://heavy.com/sports/2014/11/bo-pelini-contract-salary-buyout-record-nebraska-coach/

Nebraska finished the regular season 9-3 this year — a good record for
most programs, but not good enough for Bo Pelini to keep his job as the
Huskers’ head coach.

Pelini, who went 67-27 in seven years in Lincoln, was fired Sunday,
effective immediately. The firing comes despite the Cornhuskers posting
their best record under Pelini, a former LSU assistant who developed a
reputation for being difficult to work with.

Pelini signed a one-year contract extension in March that would have
kept him in Lincoln through the 2018 season.

The university owes Pelini a $7.65 million buyout — a hefty sum it is
apparently willing to pay in order to search for a coach who can return
the program to national championship contention for the first time in
two decades.

The move is evidence of just how lofty — some would argue, unrealistic —
the Huskers’ expectations are as they seek to return to the glory days
of legendary coach Tom Osborne’s tenure.

Pelini was fired despite having a far more successful tenure than his
predecessor, Bill Callahan, who went just 27-22 from 2004-07.

His .713 winning percentage was similar to that of Frank Solich, who was
fired after the 2003 season despite going 58-19 (.753) after succeeding
Osborne in 1998.

Nebraska joins Florida, which fired coach Will Muschamp after four
seasons, on the list of prominent programs with coaching vacancies.
Michigan is widely expected to fire coach Brady Hoke, which would mean
two of the Big Ten’s traditional powers will have vacancies at the same
time.

GrtArtiste

Michael Press

Nov 30, 2014, 4:02:35 PM11/30/14
In article
<1317507360439056128.972...@news.eternal-september.o
rg>,
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <gp>

I see their point. Nebraska's 9-3 record looks good
and is soft on the inside with losses to the Paper Boys,
West Weasels and Gilded Rats.
Notable victories? 41-31 over Miami? 38-17 over NW spoilers?

--
Michael Press

WonkotheSane

Nov 30, 2014, 5:29:10 PM11/30/14
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Eichorst can suck my dick. Welcome to 7-5.

I damn sure hope Eichorst handles this better than Pederson did. (Of
course, 7-5 would be an improvement over Callahan's first season.)

Doug

--
Government is the opiate of the Masses.

---

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 6:01:24 PM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 4:29:10 PM UTC-6, WonkotheSane wrote:
> "Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Eichorst can suck my dick. Welcome to 7-5.
>
> I damn sure hope Eichorst handles this better than Pederson did. (Of
> course, 7-5 would be an improvement over Callahan's first season.)

Eichorst's boy can go 11-0, beat tOSU by 25, then beat Bama by 35, graduate 22 acedemic All-Americans and foil an ISIS attack, but I won't be around to apologize and say I'm sorry--I'm done.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 6:08:45 PM11/30/14

RoddyMcCorley

Nov 30, 2014, 6:16:54 PM11/30/14
On 11/30/2014 11:02 AM, xyzzy wrote:
> <gp>

Interesting. Go 9-3 and lose your job. I know there was friction
between Pelini and the admin, but he was a winner in a world a lot
different that what Devaney and Osborne faced. The old big 8 was largely
two teams OU and UNL. A little bit different now in the Big 12 (still
not real good) and the Big 10. Mut be a real bad situation.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

Michael Press

Nov 30, 2014, 6:24:20 PM11/30/14
In article <d0a44ad2-ee18-474f...@googlegroups.com>,
Good luck in your new career as a crotchety old geezer.

--
Michael Press

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2014, 6:26:24 PM11/30/14
People can repeat 9 wins a year all they want, but the fact remains that not enough of those 9 wins were every against teams anyone cared about beating. And the ad said as much today in his statement.

Pellini should get some credit for consistently beating bad teams and really bad teams. But consistently doing that isn't going to keep your job forever.

And to be fair, it's not like the other losses most years were to alabamas of the world. A good example was this year- they lost to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and michigan state. None of those teams are anything close to great.

Also to be fair to pellini, because of their conference and schedules lately they didn't get a lot of opportu I ties to beat super elite teams....I suspect the result wouldn't have been good if they had faced some great opponents, but due to the schedule they never had a shot to try.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 6:46:12 PM11/30/14
Get off my lawn before I use Roundup on yours :-)

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 6:53:10 PM11/30/14
Half the NU fans hated Frost even when he was winning an MNC. Also, better recruits and weather in Eugene, and I'm sure Nike will match any offer Eichorst makes.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 7:31:33 PM11/30/14
> Also to be fair to pellini, because of their conference and schedules lately they didn't get a lot of opportu I ties to beat super elite teams....I suspect the result wouldn't have been good if they had faced some great opponents, but due to the schedule they never had a shot to try.

Oregon home-n-home 2016-17. Which could be interesting if Eichorst nabs Frost for the job...

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2014, 7:38:23 PM11/30/14

We will see if Oregon is still a top team then...I'm not sure that when marmots leaves next year they will be. Take mariota off that team right. Is and they aren't a top team this year I don't believe.

But overall....it's hard to fault Nebraska here. I mean they gave him seven years. That's a long time....and in those seven years....how many big games did he win? How many signature victories? How many wins that make Nebraska relevant? I mean seven years....

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 7:56:51 PM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 6:38:23 PM UTC-6, michael anderson wrote:
> We will see if Oregon is still a top team then...I'm not sure that when marmots leaves next year they will be. Take mariota off that team right. Is and they aren't a top team this year I don't believe.
>
> But overall....it's hard to fault Nebraska here. I mean they gave him seven years. That's a long time....and in those seven years....how many big games did he win? How many signature victories? How many wins that make Nebraska relevant? I mean seven years....

Lumping UNL with the other B1G midwest/college town schools--I come up with Iowa and Bucky and maybe the Hoosiers. They have the same problem with getting sunbelt 4- and 5-star hosses.

Bucky is marginally closer to Chicago's talent pool, but I don't see how that's helped them any. They did rent Wilson for a year, they did get to the GOTA bowl. Their win against Stanford might be the best win of any of these four schools, maybe.

Iowa? Same problem as the 'Skers. No signature wins, and haven't ruined any other team's year. Beat Georgia Tech, who promptly vacated that season's wins.

Indiana? They beat Mizzou, which might count for something. Might count for a lot more if Mizzou black-swans Bama.

Nebraska? Beat Georgia. Hail-Mary'd Northwestern into a purple funk last year.

Point is, Nebraska is the only one of these four schools who have been relevant in my lifetime, and that sets the bar higher--but this isn't 1997 anymore.

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2014, 8:03:32 PM11/30/14

Yeah but Damon even the Georgia win was against a Georgia team that did NOT have Aaron Murray because he got hurt two games before. Sure it sounds good, but beating a 4 loss Georgia team without its star qb who also lost to Vanderbilt that year isn't a big time win.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 8:07:43 PM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:03:32 PM UTC-6, michael anderson wrote:
> Yeah but Damon even the Georgia win was against a Georgia team that did NOT have Aaron Murray because he got hurt two games before. Sure it sounds good, but beating a 4 loss Georgia team without its star qb who also lost to Vanderbilt that year isn't a big time win.

Fair enough :-)

Eric Ramon

Nov 30, 2014, 8:28:00 PM11/30/14
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 4:38:23 PM UTC-8, michael anderson wrote:
> We will see if Oregon is still a top team then...I'm not sure that when marmots leaves next year they will be. Take mariota off that team right. Is and they aren't a top team this year I don't believe.

"we" have some interesting options next year at QB but if Mariota got injured at any point the rest of the way, vs Arizona or (assuming a win there) against whoever in the semis or championship, the Ducks would be doomed. Jeff Lockie, the backup, is good for taking a knee.

michael anderson

Nov 30, 2014, 9:12:55 PM11/30/14

Eric, the ducks are going to be pretty much doomed regardless in the championship game.....even if mariota grows 6 inches and runs 30 percent faster by then. Oregon is just not going to match up against Bama well.

Michael Press

Nov 30, 2014, 11:05:34 PM11/30/14
In article <b17d6a5d-e77a-4c1f...@googlegroups.com>,
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, but you should publish Pelini's entire record versus Ohio State
since I considered the entire 2014 record. That OSU team was 0-2 in
the Big Ten at that point.

I am not disparaging Pelini. To go further:
Nebraska would have been well advised to keep him, IMAO.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Nov 30, 2014, 11:13:59 PM11/30/14
In article <993afee9-d1b0-4d6d...@googlegroups.com>,
michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah but Damon even the Georgia win was against a Georgia team that did NOT have Aaron Murray because he got hurt two games before. Sure it sounds good, but beating a 4 loss Georgia team without its star qb who also lost to Vanderbilt that year isn't a big time win.

I do not accept the injury reasoning. Everybody gets injuries. If a team gets
too many injuries it means the team is _weak_, perhaps weaker than their
record that was built on over-working the players, asking them to do more
than their ultimate physical capacity. Nebraska had injuries too and beat
Georgia fair and square.

--
Michael Press

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 30, 2014, 11:28:20 PM11/30/14
> Yes, but you should publish Pelini's entire record versus Ohio State
> since I considered the entire 2014 record. That OSU team was 0-2 in
> the Big Ten at that point.

1-1, IIRC. But d00d--Ohio State. An 0-2 team with a reputation was up by three scores. And NU came back. I thought that would have been a program-defining moment. And the next year, they were actually up on tOSU in Columbus before they woke up and decided to start playing ball.

> I am not disparaging Pelini. To go further:
> Nebraska would have been well advised to keep him, IMAO.

Aye. $7.9M down the toilet and they'll get a coaching staff that will get to 9-3 if they're *lucky* but will have to get through a few 5-7 years to get there.

2015: BYU and Miami and the usual B1G cadre. With probably an 80th-ranked recruiting class and an cupboard empty of returnees.

Wolfie

Dec 1, 2014, 12:49:27 AM12/1/14
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" wrote

> $7.9M down the toilet and they'll get a coaching staff that ...

One could take willingness to take that big of a
financial hit as a positive sign. Even the UT-A's
and UM's of the world worry about that type of
money, especially paired with a winning record.

Personally I'm holding out hope Kiffin has been
rehabilitated enough to get/take the UM job. DId
I mention I mildly dislike TSUN?

michael anderson

Dec 1, 2014, 7:42:35 AM12/1/14
Michael- well qb is a special position though. Take away a star qb and any team is completely different. And so,e injuries are simply flukes/random chance....land the wrong way untouched for example.

But even apart from that, that Georgia team(even with Murray) lost to freaking Vanderbilt.....so as I said even the qb thing aside, pellini can't count that as a great win.

jim brown

Dec 1, 2014, 9:09:32 AM12/1/14
I kinda think he got Bobby Knighted....with good cause IMHO....as he wasn't winning it all and was a complete ass-emberressment($1) on the sidelines/press confs....

So I say Welcome, Damon, to IOWA football!! You WILL be disappointed....but at least your coach will calmly chew gum on the sidelines while getting bent over by Minnesota.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Dec 1, 2014, 9:27:59 AM12/1/14
Deal. there's a Steak 'n Shake in Coralville. See ya at Kinnick!

xyzzy

Dec 1, 2014, 12:44:02 PM12/1/14
POTD

Thomas R. Kettler

Dec 1, 2014, 5:22:03 PM12/1/14
In article <4e52c9a6-fb00-4242...@googlegroups.com>,
It's not every team that can literally say they were Killed on the
gridiron.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Dec 1, 2014, 5:25:55 PM12/1/14

> It's not every team that can literally say they were Killed on the
> gridiron.

Try the tilapia^H^H^H^H^H^H^H walleye.

:-)

Thomas R. Kettler

Dec 1, 2014, 5:35:39 PM12/1/14
In article <4741548f-a418-413c...@googlegroups.com>,
It's Lake Michigan. It's difficult to get anything other than Asian carp
now. However, thank you.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Dec 1, 2014, 5:49:31 PM12/1/14
On Monday, December 1, 2014 4:35:39 PM UTC-6, Thomas R. Kettler wrote:
> In article <4741548f-a418-413c...@googlegroups.com>,
> "Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > It's not every team that can literally say they were Killed on the
> > > gridiron.
> >
> > Try the tilapia^H^H^H^H^H^H^H walleye.
> >
> > :-)
>
> It's Lake Michigan. It's difficult to get anything other than Asian carp
> now. However, thank you.

:-)

Thomas R. Kettler

Dec 1, 2014, 6:00:51 PM12/1/14
In article <d9e618c2-88c3-400f...@googlegroups.com>,
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, December 1, 2014 4:35:39 PM UTC-6, Thomas R. Kettler wrote:

> > > Try the tilapia^H^H^H^H^H^H^H walleye.
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > It's Lake Michigan. It's difficult to get anything other than Asian carp
> > now. However, thank you.
>
> :-)

You mean d::-( since the introduction of Asian carp into the US is an
unmitigated disaster.

Michael Press

Dec 1, 2014, 6:09:30 PM12/1/14
In article <1aad6272-ba9b-4309...@googlegroups.com>,
michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael- well qb is a special position though.

And why was he injured? Because the Georgia OL was weak.
Weakness is weakness. Everybody gets injuries. If they
were so improvident as to get their QB injured, a specially
difficult position to replace, then it only shows Georgia to have
been weaker. Cannot protect your QB? Losers. Do not have
a respectable back-up QB? Losers.

> Take away a star qb and any team is completely different. And so,e injuries are simply flukes/random chance....land the wrong way untouched for example.

Everybody gets injuries. Too many injuries or too vital an injury
means the team is weak. I do not know the details. What year
was this? What was Georgia's record at the time of the game?

> But even apart from that, that Georgia team(even with Murray) lost to freaking Vanderbilt.....so as I said even the qb thing aside, pellini can't count that as a great win.

You find a way to build up or excuse teams you favor
and never credit or excuse teams you do not favor.
You should look into this.

--
Michael Press

michael anderson

Dec 1, 2014, 9:32:57 PM12/1/14
Michael- again, you drastically underestimate the degree to which injuries are just random. Sometimes you just land wrong. Great players get injured and so do crap players. Peyton manning has missed a year to injury just as Sam Bradford has. Sometimes great players just randomly get injured in practice even. It's cute to pretend that there is some reason for everything, but the reality is that random injuries often sometimes dramatically change a teams fortunes. And that's ok- that's just the way it goes sometimes. Now are some players more injury prone than others? Sure....

As for under/overestimating Georgia that year, I already said they lost to vandy with Murray so they were obviously not a big time team either way. Seems like you are arguing here just for the point of arguing.

Michael Press

Dec 2, 2014, 11:53:21 AM12/2/14
In article <62d6ed2c-8598-4abb...@googlegroups.com>,
michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael- again, you drastically underestimate the degree to which injuries are just random.

So you say.

> Sometimes you just land wrong.

As I said their are reasons, too.

> Great players get injured and so do crap players.

???

> Peyton manning has missed a year to injury just as Sam Bradford has. Sometimes great players just randomly get injured in practice even.

> It's cute to pretend that there is some reason for everything,

Now you are being patronizing.

> but the reality is

There are a number of catch-phrases people habitually use that tell me they are lying.
"The truth is...", "Frankly", "To tell you the truth ", ...

> that random injuries often sometimes dramatically change a teams fortunes.

Injuries are part of the game. Saying that some team lost a game because
of injuries is to ignore this.

> And that's ok- that's just the way it goes sometimes. Now are some players more injury prone than others? Sure....

I say that some players know how to stay healthy. (Ted Hendricks)
Others do not pay attention to this aspect of play.
I say it is a choice. Players make this choice.
Some coaches are responsible for too many injuries.

> As for under/overestimating Georgia that year, I already said they lost to vandy with Murray so they were obviously not a big time team either way.

> Seems like you are arguing here just for the point of arguing.

Then you have no business arguing with me.

--
Michael Press

michael anderson

Dec 2, 2014, 11:16:39 PM12/2/14

Michael of course some injuries are due to mistakes. I never argued that.

My point is that qb(especially star qb) is a unique position in that it affects the game like no other. And a star qb out of the game dramatically affects the qualit of that team.

I don't see any evidence that injuries are more likely occur against great defenses than poor defenses. The player in question, Aaron Murray, got injured against a terrible defense and stayed healthy against great defenses all year. That speaks to their randomness.

If Marcus mariota pulls a hamstring in practice tommorrow and misses the Arizona game, it is an easier game for Arizona state if they beat a mariota less team vs a team of mariota doesn't pull a hamstring. The line would change by 14 pts overnight. And mariota, a player without significant injury issues, wouldn't be any less a player in terms of quality.

And yes- none of that is to say Arizona wouldn't deserve to be PAC 12 champs. Or change the outcome of the game. It is what it is, and yes injuries are part of the game. But in terms of assessing the quality of a team at that time, it's a factor. How big a factor depends on how great the qb is.

Michael Press

Dec 4, 2014, 12:33:34 AM12/4/14
In article <9b1c9969-f514-4903...@googlegroups.com>,
michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote: