Huge IT Layoffs

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2017, 9:46:28 AM6/26/17
...in India. Some are saying H1B changes pushing US IT consultancies to hire more US workers. Not exactly sure how that would impact IT workers in India. Unless the stories are referring to Indian IT workers not necessarily IN India.

xyzzy

Jun 26, 2017, 10:05:37 AM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:46:28 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> ...in India. Some are saying H1B changes pushing US IT consultancies to hire more US workers. Not exactly sure how that would impact IT workers in India. Unless the stories are referring to Indian IT workers not necessarily IN India.

My employer had huge layoofs in India a couple of years ago. The Indians were shocked and appalled to find out that the company's cut throat quarter-based results culture applied to them as well. Somehow, they thought they were immune.

GrtArtiste

Jun 26, 2017, 11:19:16 AM6/26/17
On 6/26/2017 9:46 AM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> ...in India. Some are saying H1B changes pushing US IT consultancies to hire more US workers. Not exactly sure how that would impact IT workers in India. Unless the stories are referring to Indian IT workers not necessarily IN India.

My company lost dozens of good people when almost all of our IT was
outsourced to Hindu-land 4 years ago, and many more who could see the
handwriting on the wall left before they could get axed and now some of
them work for our competitors. It took a while before management
realized that these changes resulted in a net loss rather than the
savings they thought they would get. Now some of the IT jobs are coming
back. I hope it's not too little-too late.

GrtArtiste

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 26, 2017, 11:46:51 AM6/26/17
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 06:46:23 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>...in India. Some are saying H1B changes pushing US IT consultancies to hire more US workers. Not exactly sure how that would impact IT workers in India. Unless the stories are referring to Indian IT workers not necessarily IN India.

It would not impact India. Freeloaders in this country supported by
liberlas probably can't even answer a phone.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 26, 2017, 11:49:01 AM6/26/17
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:20:32 -0400, GrtArtiste <nine...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 6/26/2017 9:46 AM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> ...in India. Some are saying H1B changes pushing US IT consultancies to hire more US workers. Not exactly sure how that would impact IT workers in India. Unless the stories are referring to Indian IT workers not necessarily IN India.
>>

>My company lost dozens of good people when almost all of our IT was
>outsourced to Hindu-land 4 years ago,

That was on Obama's watch.

michael anderson

Jun 26, 2017, 12:15:12 PM6/26/17

I've always heard the IT field in general is one in which layoffs or downsizing(or age discrimination) is a possibility.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 26, 2017, 12:49:05 PM6/26/17
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:15:10 -0700 (PDT), michael anderson
<miande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've always heard the IT field in general is one in which layoffs or downsizing(or age discrimination) is a possibility.

Technology requires constant traning as much as your profession does.
People get left behind.

Age discrimination has always been a factor. In a competitive world
why should an employer retain an underperforming person? Of course I
agree that loyalty is a consideration. Although I worked at a major
corporation it was very family-oriented.

I hired a number of single mothers regardless of age because they had
to be loyal employees and earn a living. It worked very well since
almost all of them retired.

But I tend to regard many laws as suggestions.

Michael Press

Jun 26, 2017, 2:35:00 PM6/26/17
In article <oir8ei$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
You are due a raise. Let them know.

They tried to save money and lost.
If they keep trying to save money
by short-changing you they are
making the same mistake. Dress it
up and you'll be in clover.

--
Michael Press

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 27, 2017, 7:48:19 AM6/27/17
The company I worked for moved their data processing to India because it was cheaper. Two years later, they moved it back onshore because...it was cheaper.

Saved money, lost goodwill.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 10:18:43 AM6/27/17
In my limited experience in the tech/healthcare space, offshoring to India is always a net loss.

I have literally never had a positive experience.