Cleveland Cavs

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 7:37:29 AM5/24/17
Have the #1, #2, and #4 picks from 2011 on their team. What a disappointment Derrick Williams turned out to be.

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 7:38:42 AM5/24/17

#17 pick from that year as well (Shumpert).

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 24, 2017, 9:12:33 AM5/24/17
On 2017-05-24, JGibson <james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have the #1, #2, and #4 picks from 2011 on their team. What a disappointment Derrick Williams turned out to be.

They are replete with high picks clustered in a few rounds. They have
the fourth and eighth picks from 2005 as well, as well as *four* picks
from 2003.

--
I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as

JGibson

May 24, 2017, 9:23:25 AM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:12:33 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-05-24, JGibson <james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have the #1, #2, and #4 picks from 2011 on their team. What a disappointment Derrick Williams turned out to be.
>
> They are replete with high picks clustered in a few rounds. They have
> the fourth and eighth picks from 2005 as well, as well as *four* picks
> from 2003.

I almost lost you before I realized you meant the 3rd pick from 2005 instead of the 4th pick. Deron Williams was picked 1 spot ahead of Chris Paul. That's definitely a lot of should-be-talent they have.

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 12:08:53 PM5/25/17
well most of them panned out...obviously williams did, but Kyrie was an obvious hit. Tristan Thompson became a fairly decent product for what his potential was.

Looking back to 2005 Deron Williams had some very good years...obviously not with the cavs, but he still produced at a high level for a period in the earlier part of his career(and the cavs didnt have to give anything for him anyways).

Of course Love was a bigtime positive hit(for another time and now producing for the cavs)

And lebron of course...not that that was a 'good' pick or anything.

Anthony bennett was a number 1. No longer with the team and he sucked of course, but even though he was a number 1 nobody really expected a lot. sounds crazy for a 1 but thats what it was that year.

JGibson

May 25, 2017, 12:11:35 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:08:53 PM UTC-4, michael anderson wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:23:25 AM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
> > >
> > > They are replete with high picks clustered in a few rounds. They have
> > > the fourth and eighth picks from 2005 as well, as well as *four* picks
> > > from 2003.
> >
> > I almost lost you before I realized you meant the 3rd pick from 2005 instead of the 4th pick. Deron Williams was picked 1 spot ahead of Chris Paul. That's definitely a lot of should-be-talent they have.
>
> well most of them panned out...obviously williams did, but Kyrie was an obvious hit. Tristan Thompson became a fairly decent product for what his potential was.

Tristan Thompson is ok, but Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard were both taken later in that same draft. And that's also where Derrick Williams was #2 overall. Obviously, Irving at #1 has panned out.

michael anderson

May 25, 2017, 1:03:45 PM5/25/17
and so were ~20some other guys in the first round, most of whom are duds and not even as good as TT. Almost half the teams in the league can say "well things didn't work as well because we passed on leonard to take our guy at number.....shoulda take leonard"

so Im never a big fan of that sort of reasoning. Yeah they could have taken leonard...they also could have taken jan vesely, jimmer fredette, alec burks, Chris Singleton, etc

Now in a *few* cases you can do that with players/teams. You can obviously look at detroit and see the 3 other guys they could have gotten instead of Darko because that was a pick they had and everyone knew who the next picks were going to be and what the obvious choice was. But just randomly looking at a draft(in football too) and finding one stud who went later? It's just of little value....

after all 31 teams passed on a guy named Tom brady time after time after time.....about the same number passed on manu and tony parker.