30 for 30; Lakers v. Celtics

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 14, 2017, 8:05:30 AM6/14/17
Was disappointed to see it turn into a racial deal. Since it was ESPN, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Late 70s-early 80s was when I cared about BB--not just pros but that's when Mizzou had Stipanovich.

I noted the melanin disparity between BOS and LAL, hell, Letterman even joked about it. But since I was a Dr. J fan, I hated both those teams! Didn't need to bring any artificial constructs into the discussion.

Michael Press

Jun 14, 2017, 11:38:51 AM6/14/17
In article <d382c09c-8867-4dc5...@googlegroups.com>,
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Was disappointed to see it turn into a racial deal. Since it was ESPN, I shouldn't have been surprised.
>
> Late 70s-early 80s was when I cared about BB--not just pros but that's when Mizzou had Stipanovich.
>
> I noted the melanin disparity between BOS and LAL, hell, Letterman even joked about it.

I think it is in bad taste for Letterman and ESPN to bring it up.

> But since I was a Dr. J fan, I hated both those teams! Didn't need to bring any artificial constructs into the discussion.

Just so.

Those Celtics were the last team to play basketball I enjoyed watching.
The Lakers were the wave of the future---showboating.

--
Michael Press

JGibson

Jun 14, 2017, 11:57:37 AM6/14/17
And you think there's not a racial element to this statement?

Michael Press

Jun 14, 2017, 12:42:45 PM6/14/17
In article <5ff040c0-666b-4416...@googlegroups.com>,
What do you think?

--
Michael Press

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 14, 2017, 2:07:49 PM6/14/17
If there is, so what?

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

xyzzy

Jun 14, 2017, 2:30:19 PM6/14/17
It was real in the culture. There's a reason the white gentrifier in Do the Right Thing was wearing a 33 Bird Celtics jersey for example.

Not liking it doesn't make it any less a real thing that was going on in society.