NOTBCS & NOTCFP Rankings - 10/22

The NOTBCS Guy

Oct 22, 2018, 7:06:29 PM10/22/18
NOTBCS rankings, in terms of full places behind the #1 team:
Alabama, 0
Clemson, 0.76
Notre Dame, 2.7
LSU, 2.99
Michigan, 4.36
Georgia, 5.73
Oklahoma, 6.8
Texas, 8.21
Florida, 8.69
Ohio State, 9.56
Central Florida, 10.72
Kentucky, 12.39
Washington, 13.53
West Virginia, 14.38
Iowa, 14.75
Texas A&M, 14.95
Penn State, 16.03
Washington State, 16.11
Wisconsin, 19.31
North Carolina State, 19.62
South Florida, 20.1
Oregon, 20.12
Utah, 20.66
Stanford, 20.73
Appalachian State, 23.04
Fresno State, 23.14
San Diego State, 23.3
Mississippi State, 23.37
Miami, 23.39
Texas Tech, 23.58
Purdue, 23.78
Utah State, 23.95
Auburn, 23.98
Missouri, 24.05
Virginia, 24.22
Iowa State, 24.23
Army, 24.25
South Carolina, 24.27
Buffalo, 24.29
Duke, 24.35
Cincinnati, 24.37
Houston, 24.41
Virginia Tech, 24.45
Michigan State, 24.54
Alabama-Birmingham, 24.56
TCU, 24.57
Oklahoma State, 24.59
Georgia Southern, 24.6
Boise State, 24.64
Colorado, 24.64
Tennessee, 24.64
USC, 24.65
Boston College, 24.67
Syracuse, 24.67
North Texas, 24.68
all others, 24.69

NOTCFP rankings:
#1 - Clemson
#2 - Alabama
#3 - Notre Dame
#4 - LSU
#5 - Michigan
#6 - Georgia
#7 - Oklahoma
#8 - Florida
#9 - Kentucky
#10 - Texas
#11 - Iowa
#12 - Texas A&M
#13 - North Carolina State
#14 - Stanford
#15 - Ohio State
#16 - Washington
#17 - Utah
#18 - Central Florida
#19 - West Virginia
#20 - Washington State
#21 - San Diego State
#22 - Penn State
#23 - Wisconsin
#24 - South Florida
#25 - Fresno State

Who's up for a Florida-Central Florida Peach Bowl?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 1:13:30 AM10/23/18
Can you remind us of your methodology again? Serious request.

I hate Clemson that high, and don't understand it - but the s&p is also super bullish on 'em...

Cheers.

unclejr

Oct 23, 2018, 1:39:10 AM10/23/18
SCAR fan?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 2:56:58 AM10/23/18
No. I watch most all a&m games. They're decent this year but certainly not top tier. And they played clemson pretty even.

But I guess you can't deny that they're undefeated and you have to allow for both performance variation game to game and improvement as the season goes on. I don't see much standing between them and an undefeated season (similar thoughts on notre dame).

I just don't know that either team played a particularly grueling schedule, I guess.

Cheers.

unclejr

Oct 23, 2018, 9:31:37 AM10/23/18
I knew that you followed aTm, but since you used the word "hate" in your post, I thought that maybe you had a secondary team like Press does.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 11:33:38 AM10/23/18
Follow michigan the most, then a&m and wisconsin. Catch wmu when I can.

Cheers.

The NOTBCS Guy

Oct 23, 2018, 12:29:21 PM10/23/18
> Can you remind us of your methodology again? Serious request.
>
> I hate Clemson that high, and don't understand it - but the s&p is also super bullish on 'em...

NOTCFP, or NOTBCS?

NOTCFP uses what I understand to be the CFP committee's method, but each committee member is represented by a different ranking system - Coaches, AP, Modified SRS, and 10 of the computer rankings from the Massey Composite site (ten of the ones with the highest accuracy rating among those usually available by Sunday night). The CFP method is complicated, but I'll probably describe it next week sometime, as the first CFP rankings are due out on 10/30.

NOTBCS is 1/3 Coaches Poll, 1/3 AP Poll, and 1/3 Computer Rankings "poll" (treat each Massey Composite ranking, besides Coaches and AP, as a separate voter - 25 points for first, 24 for second, and so on, the way the Coaches and AP polls work). For each of the three polls, divide the points a particular team got by the maximum possible (e.g. since AP has 61 voters, the maximum is 61 x 25 = 1525). Take the average of these three numbers (this is the rating shown by the "real" BCS rankings), and multiply by 25; the highest possible number is 25 (if every coach, every AP voter, and every computer ranks that team #1), and the lowest is zero (if none have them anywhere in their top 25).

Because just showing the positions does not show how close, or far apart, two teams are, I give the #1 team a "ranking" of zero, and every other team's ranking is the difference between its rating value and the #1 team's value. A team with a ranking of 3.00 is exactly three "full places" behind the #1 team - i.e. it is as if everybody voted that team #4. A ranking of 2.50 is "halfway between #3 and #4".

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Oct 23, 2018, 2:08:29 PM10/23/18
Ouch!