Private enterprise is booming in....

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 2, 2017, 9:15:12 AM5/2/17
North Korea?

You know...I completely agree with the conclusion of this article

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/5/2/15502672/north-korea-economy

"Instead of trying to suppress the country’s economy, the world could try to encourage its free market behavior."

xyzzy

May 2, 2017, 9:20:10 AM5/2/17
it's the method that's been shown to bring down communist dictatorships worldwide.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 2, 2017, 10:58:04 AM5/2/17
Exactly. People are bashing this all over twitter - but they forget this is exactly how China and Russia started out - much less Eastern Europe.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

May 2, 2017, 11:09:31 AM5/2/17
Reagan and Thatcher may have torn down the Berlin Wall but J. R. Ewing had a hand in it, too. #relentlessCapitalism

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 2, 2017, 11:17:38 AM5/2/17
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 10:09:31 AM UTC-5, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> Reagan and Thatcher may have torn down the Berlin Wall but J. R. Ewing had a hand in it, too. #relentlessCapitalism

I like that

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 2, 2017, 12:42:07 PM5/2/17
On Tue, 2 May 2017 06:20:08 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 9:15:12 AM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrio=
>r wrote:
>> North Korea?
>>
>> You know...I completely agree with the conclusion of this article
>>
>> https://www.vox.com/world/2017/5/2/15502672/north-korea-economy
>>
>> "Instead of trying to suppress the country=E2=80=99s economy, the world c=
>ould try to encourage its free market behavior."
>
>it's the method that's been shown to bring down communist dictatorships wor=
>ldwide.

I'll never forget the past president - old What's His Name. But he
only got as far as the dick in dictatorship.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Michael Press

May 2, 2017, 2:02:00 PM5/2/17
In article <68a8f31a-f9ff-41d7...@googlegroups.com>,
Xerox machines and vinyl records and glossy magazines.

--
Michael Press

Eric Ramon

May 2, 2017, 4:02:44 PM5/2/17
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 8:09:31 AM UTC-7, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> Reagan and Thatcher may have torn down the Berlin Wall but J. R. Ewing had a hand in it, too. #relentlessCapitalism

Beatles.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/apr/20/beatles-soviet-union-first-rip-iron-curtain

Marty McMahone

May 2, 2017, 6:27:11 PM5/2/17
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 8:20:10 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
To paraphrase an old Calvin Miller quote: "it's hard to want to be a Communist once you can buy a Corvette" (of course, in NK it'd be more like 'buy real food')

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 8:33:04 PM5/2/17
But what about when you can 3d print a house?:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/02/technology/3d-printed-building-mit/

Capitalism is the best system for managing scarcity and improving productivity we've come up with, collectively. Has its warts. Better than the alternatives.

But the engine is driven by scarcity - an increasingly hard to find commodity.

Cheers.

darkst...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 8:41:36 PM5/2/17
That comes from about the same line of thinking as the reinstitution of slavery and American sweatshops being the only way for America to compete in the world economy.

Mike

dotsla...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 9:37:23 PM5/2/17
Related, the ongoing march of automation. Look out, brain surgeons:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/technology/robotic-drill-surgery/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

Still, prep work:

"Here's how it works: First, a CT scan collects a patient's bone data and identifies the precise location of sensitive structures like nerves and major veins. Surgeons use the information from the CT scan to program the cutting path of the drill using special software developed by engineers on Couldwell's team."

But really, I feel like any low rent "Watson" can learn to create that path.

Still...

"A surgeon would stand by during the procedure and can turn off the machine at any time. The drill also has built-in safeguards: for example, it can detect if it's too close to a facial nerve and will automatically shut off."

I still can't stop laughing at that first line - and the image of a highly paid brain surgeon standing next to a power cord. Just in case.

Cheers.

xyzzy

May 2, 2017, 10:39:08 PM5/2/17

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 3, 2017, 8:57:49 AM5/3/17
On Tue, 2 May 2017 17:41:32 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 6:15:12 AM UTC-7, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrio=
>r wrote:
>> North Korea?
>>
>> You know...I completely agree with the conclusion of this article
>>
>> https://www.vox.com/world/2017/5/2/15502672/north-korea-economy
>>
>> "Instead of trying to suppress the country=E2=80=99s economy, the world c=
>ould try to encourage its free market behavior."
>
>That comes from about the same line of thinking as the reinstitution of sla=
>very and American sweatshops being the only way for America to compete in t=
>he world economy.
>
>Mike

Welfare is a form of slavery that could disappear either by
legislation or no one left earning enough money to pay them.

Some dued

May 3, 2017, 10:26:08 AM5/3/17
Welfare is not a form of slavery.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 3, 2017, 12:13:38 PM5/3/17
Huh? Those to things are nothing alike.

Doug

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 3, 2017, 12:15:19 PM5/3/17
Um, that would be "two" rather than "to."

Doug

darkst...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 12:18:07 PM5/3/17
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 5:57:49 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> Welfare is a form of slavery that could disappear either by
> legislation or no one left earning enough money to pay them.

It's also the only way you're still living.

That could be taken at least two different ways.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 12:18:35 PM5/3/17
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:26:08 AM UTC-7, Some dued wrote:
> Welfare is not a form of slavery.

He wants to string up who he believes is lazy.

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 3, 2017, 12:47:27 PM5/3/17
You are really rough - you must have used 00 sandpaper.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 3, 2017, 12:50:08 PM5/3/17
On Wed, 3 May 2017 07:26:04 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Welfare is not a form of slavery.

Welfare recipients are as dependent on government as slaves were to
their masters. The difference is merely technical.

darkst...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 2:40:39 PM5/4/17
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 9:50:08 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2017 07:26:04 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
> <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Welfare is not a form of slavery.
>
> Welfare recipients are as dependent on government as slaves were to
> their masters. The difference is merely technical.

Not really. You and your idiots would just like to see that Amendment eliminated, as it's the only way you'd be able to get most of the country back to work in any capacity.

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 5, 2017, 11:53:51 AM5/5/17
Which Amendment covers payments to worthless people?

RoddyMcCorley

May 12, 2017, 12:37:44 PM5/12/17
Racism is the progeny of ignorance.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 12, 2017, 1:30:05 PM5/12/17
On Fri, 12 May 2017 12:37:46 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
<Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On 5/4/2017 2:40 PM, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 9:50:08 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

>>> Welfare recipients are as dependent on government as slaves were to
>>> their masters. The difference is merely technical.
>>
>> Not really. You and your idiots would just like to see that Amendment eliminated, as it's the only way you'd be able to get most of the country back to work in any capacity.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>Racism is the progeny of ignorance.

Not really. If you thought blacks in the South were your equal you are
far below my standards. That is not to say that subjugating them was
right or honorable

I wish they still included the race of criminals in the news. I think
it is black disproprotionate - and that is mostly the fault of us
whites.

I hired them, I taught them, I coached them, I played with them, I
officiated their games and I was their CO in the Naval Reserve. I
still follow the lives of several. The unpiad loans are long
forgotten.

Maybe I could have done even more but, the last I was told, I don't
control the world.

RoddyMcCorley

May 14, 2017, 2:06:33 PM5/14/17
As I said, racism is the progeny of ignorance.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 14, 2017, 6:07:14 PM5/14/17
On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:06:32 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
<Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On 5/12/2017 1:30 PM, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 May 2017 12:37:46 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
>> <Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Racism is the progeny of ignorance.

So is that statement. I am more intolerant of white ignorance than
black. One can attribute some black problems to whites.