Matt Hayes has an idea for the CFP

JGibson

Dec 30, 2018, 8:40:04 PM12/30/18
Forget the results on the field. Just look at the teams with the best NFL prospects.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813062-alabama-and-clemson-domination-creates-ugly-day-for-cfb-playoff-committee

Uh, yeah.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2018, 9:04:37 PM12/30/18
I actually have an idea myself...

Since the Committee has six bowls to work with, create a malleable playoff.

If only Alabama and Clemson are worthy, then they play one game for the title.

If you can come up with four, then you have a four-team playoff.

Getting to eight would create a problem...

Mike

michael anderson

Dec 30, 2018, 11:54:29 PM12/30/18
I didnt neccessarily read it that way....

'results on the field' depend on how you look at them and what.

Georgia led the best team in the nation...the team that has dominated college football for a long damn time...for pretty much the whole game twice in the last 11 months and lost both in heartbreaking fashion. tOSU beat Michigan with everything on the line by 23 pts....ND played a number of close games against piss poor teams. One crappy performance against the pittsburghs and ball states and vandys of the world? Ok...but 4?? As for Oklahoma, as I said going into the game- they had no chance because the off-defense matchup when their defense was on the field would give them no chance....

And everything played out EXACTLY like everyone feared it would.

There isnt a single person alive who BEFORE those games didnt think Georgia-Clemson wouldnt have been a better game than Clemson-ND. Or that in an tosu-Bama game at leats there is some...no matter how small...chance that tOSU may be on and make it an actual game.

Instead we got this crap....

JGibson

Dec 30, 2018, 11:59:40 PM12/30/18
Georgia had their chance and didn't win. As for Ohio State, I'm not sure why everyone thinks they'd be so great. They clobbered Michigan. So did Florida just now. And the last time Ohio State was in the CFP, the put up a goose egg. They should never be invited back after that performance.

walstib77

Dec 31, 2018, 12:15:02 AM12/31/18
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:54:29 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
But postseason isn't about setting up the "best game."

Imagine if the NFL did what the CFP committee does every year.

"OK, now that the season is over, we've gathered in Dallas and decided that the four teams that get to play in the championship games won't include New Orleans, because, well, we looked at their floor, and they lost two really bad games they had no business losing. The Patriots are in as the 1 seed because their coach is the greatest of all time. The Bears are in; we need some Midwest TV audience, but we don't want to invite anyone from the AFC North. They have that TV contract with the other network. Dallas is in because, well, we're in Dallas. And the Texans have a nice record, but, they struggled against some teams they should have blown out, and Jerry doesn't want to play them. So we took the Chargers. The Rams? Don't even think about it. Not a real division."

michael anderson

Dec 31, 2018, 12:17:26 AM12/31/18
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:59:40 PM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:54:29 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 7:40:04 PM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
> > > Forget the results on the field. Just look at the teams with the best NFL prospects.
> > >
> > > https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813062-alabama-and-clemson-domination-creates-ugly-day-for-cfb-playoff-committee
> > >
> > > Uh, yeah.
> >
> > I didnt neccessarily read it that way....
> >

> > 'results on the field' depend on how you look at them and what.
> >
> > Georgia led the best team in the nation...the team that has dominated college football for a long damn time...for pretty much the whole game twice in the last 11 months and lost both in heartbreaking fashion. tOSU beat Michigan with everything on the line by 23 pts....ND played a number of close games against piss poor teams. One crappy performance against the pittsburghs and ball states and vandys of the world? Ok...but 4?? As for Oklahoma, as I said going into the game- they had no chance because the off-defense matchup when their defense was on the field would give them no chance....
> >
> > And everything played out EXACTLY like everyone feared it would.
> >
> > There isnt a single person alive who BEFORE those games didnt think Georgia-Clemson wouldnt have been a better game than Clemson-ND. Or that in an tosu-Bama game at leats there is some...no matter how small...chance that tOSU may be on and make it an actual game.
> >
> > Instead we got this crap....
>
> Georgia had their chance and didn't win.

perhaps, and thats actually how I feel too. but let's drop the best team nonsense then. Because georgia was somehow seen as one of the 4 best teams before that game, and their performance in that game was one of the most impressive performances of the year.....

I agree georgia shouldnt have been in though. They are one of the four best teams, they will likely have given bama the best competition all year....but I dont neccessarily need them in the playoff.

>As for Ohio State, I'm not sure why everyone thinks they'd be so great. >They clobbered Michigan. So did Florida just now.

yes a michigan team without 4 of their best players and the stakes were obviously different. Ohio State clobbering Michigan in that game was a hell of a lot more impressive than whatever Oklahoma did this year. oh bubububuuubut Purdue!! Yes Purdue.....it was a terrible game. So what?

>And the last time Ohio State was in the CFP, the put up a goose egg.

yes and the time before that they beat some team called Alabama when they were big underdogs and then beatdown Oregon in the national title game. Whereas now Oklahoma hasn't won a single playoff game in three(!) chances, and absolutely shit the bed twice.....so yeah I'll take Ohio State's history there over Oklahoma.

Not to mention ND, who in the last 6 years has somehow found themselves in the biggest postseason games of the year twice(!) now and been outscored a billion to 3 in meaningful time in two games....

We need to stop considering Oklahoma playoff worthy. People forget that Clemson dud like 4 years ago....a piss poor performance if I ever saw one. Win a damn playoff game for christsakes....next year it will probably be the same shit- beat the iowa states kansas states etc of the world(well except 1...they'll still lose to some shit big12 team) and then come into the playoffs for their seemingly annual beatdown of a team vastly more talented than skilled than them.

jim brown

Dec 31, 2018, 12:22:34 AM12/31/18
This talk about Notre Dame not being worthy is some of the dumnest talk of the year on this site. If it was just your stupid, psychotic ass saying it, I'd ignore it, but there are actually people with brains saying similar things.

RoddyMcCorley

Dec 31, 2018, 12:28:03 AM12/31/18
Six teams. The top two get a bye in the first round.

Or put the top four or top eight in a hat and pick them at random. Could
end up with a match up of Clempson v. Bama in the first round, which is
OK with me. The current championship is not really compelling for me
since I have seen it a couple of times already. Having either of those
paste ND in the final would have been enjoyable.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2018, 1:36:46 AM12/31/18
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:22:34 PM UTC-8, jim brown wrote:

> This talk about Notre Dame not being worthy is some of the dumnest talk of the year on this site. If it was just your stupid, psychotic ass saying it, I'd ignore it, but there are actually people with brains saying similar things.

I almost have to ask you the same question I used to ask her fans...

"In whose reality?"

You had a game OPENLY RIGGED to prevent a 50 point blowout, and it wasn't even the Alabama team playing Notre Dame.

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2018, 10:09:10 AM12/31/18
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 00:28:01 -0500, RoddyMcCorley
<Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Six teams. The top two get a bye in the first round.

Something I mentioned before IF there are 6 competitive teams. Bama
eliminated UGA and Purdue eliminated OSU.

>Or put the top four or top eight in a hat and pick them at random. Could
>end up with a match up of Clempson v. Bama in the first round, which is
>OK with me.

Not me. The best teams should play the last game, not the first.
Otherwise there would be no need for the other games.

>The current championship is not really compelling for me

That would be a function of whether one is a fan of a team (or
conference) in the playoffs...

Lately Bama has had a pretty fair football team. But standards, when
met, should always be set higher. Bama has made a number of mistakes
in recent games. I doubt Bama can afford that luxury vs. Clemson.

Hugh

jim brown

Dec 31, 2018, 11:28:21 AM12/31/18
Your inane (insane) conspiracy theories aside, ND played a very solid schedule and won all their games. The fact that this year we have two teams that seem to be well above the rest doesn't discount the fact that ND earned their right to be there. Two totally different things.

UCF ditto, but we have this bias, supported by people like you, that we think we can predict the quality of all teams as an exact science. We can't. Most other forms of sports, and even other divisions of football, use objective measures to set the parameters for their final championship tournaments. But in 1A, we use MARKEE VALYOO...stupidity.

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2018, 11:31:16 AM12/31/18
IAWTP on both counts.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Dec 31, 2018, 12:07:16 PM12/31/18
Ditteauxs all around

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2018, 1:07:59 PM12/31/18
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:28:21 AM UTC-8, jim brown wrote:

> Your inane (insane) conspiracy theories aside, ND played a very solid schedule and won all their games. The fact that this year we have two teams that seem to be well above the rest doesn't discount the fact that ND earned their right to be there. Two totally different things.

Until they got drilled and it was showed that, no they didn't.

> UCF ditto, but we have this bias, supported by people like you, that we think we can predict the quality of all teams as an exact science. We can't. Most other forms of sports, and even other divisions of football, use objective measures to set the parameters for their final championship tournaments. But in 1A, we use MARKEE VALYOO...stupidity.

And it's that Markee Valyou that allows us to get Oklahoma and Notre Dame when the former has no defense and the latter has no clothes.

I do wonder what you'll be telling people like me tomorrow evening if LSU wins and wins big.

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Dec 31, 2018, 1:26:09 PM12/31/18
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:07:57 -0800 (PST), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>I do wonder what you'll be telling people like me tomorrow evening if LSU w=
>ins and wins big.
>
>Mike

Strange fact: UCF has more enrolled students than any other
University.

Hugh

michael anderson

Dec 31, 2018, 1:44:50 PM12/31/18
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:28:21 AM UTC-6, jim brown wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:36:46 PM UTC-8, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:22:34 PM UTC-8, jim brown wrote:
> > >
> > > This talk about Notre Dame not being worthy is some of the dumnest talk of the year on this site. If it was just your stupid, psychotic ass saying it, I'd ignore it, but there are actually people with brains saying similar things.
> >
> > I almost have to ask you the same question I used to ask her fans...
> >
> > "In whose reality?"
> >
> > You had a game OPENLY RIGGED to prevent a 50 point blowout, and it wasn't even the Alabama team playing Notre Dame.
> >
> > Mike
>

> Your inane (insane) conspiracy theories aside, ND played a very solid schedule and won all their games. The fact that this year we have two teams that seem to be well above the rest

It's not at all clear that Clemson will be a challenge to Alabama equal to or even close to equal as Georgia was....

Clemson is a very worthy foe no doubt. And it's certainly not inconcievable that they could win a week from now. but ask most bama fans whether they would more fear clemson or a rematch against georgia next week, and they'll tell you georgia

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2018, 2:36:01 PM12/31/18
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:26:09 AM UTC-8, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> Strange fact: UCF has more enrolled students than any other
> University.

Didn't know that myself until recently.

Mike