Blackberry? iPhone?

agavi...@gmail.com

May 24, 2015, 9:49:55 PM5/24/15

xyzzy

May 24, 2015, 10:05:33 PM5/24/15

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 25, 2015, 12:43:01 AM5/25/15
You can get there via the usual workaround...

--
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and
dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if

agavi...@gmail.com

May 25, 2015, 6:16:58 AM5/25/15
"Excerpted from LOSING THE SIGNAL: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry."

A big chunk of it esxplains the blackberry brass not believing the iPhone was going to catch on. Basically, they didn't believe having a useful browser was that important. And, of course, an app store + itunes was a killer.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 25, 2015, 9:30:01 AM5/25/15
On 2015-05-25, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€© <ctrla...@BirminghamAlabama.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 23:43:00 -0500, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
> wrote:

> blackberry-1432311912?mod=trending_now_5
>>>
>>> Looks interesting but it's a subscriber only article.
>>
>> You can get there via the usual workaround...
>
> It's not cool to be a criminal.

I don't think searching for it on Google and then following
a link is criminal...

--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work
the more luck I have. -- Thomas Jefferson

xyzzy

May 25, 2015, 10:47:41 AM5/25/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 12:43:01 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2015-05-25, xyzzy <addre...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > "the_andr...@yahoo.com" <agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-the-rise-and-fall-of-blackberry-1432311912?mod=trending_now_5
> >
> > Looks interesting but it's a subscriber only article.
>
> You can get there via the usual workaround...

Funny thing, the link loaded with no problem on my Windows laptop. It only hits paywall on my iPhone. RIM's revenge?

But one thing not in that article, that may be in the book, was that IMO RIM really lost its way and any competitive advantage when it starting caving to repressive regimes and let them into its email. I think Saudi Arabia was the first one, but they all demanded what Saudi got in short order. After that the main advantage of Blackberry, rock solid email security, was lost.

xyzzy

May 25, 2015, 11:00:17 AM5/25/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 6:16:58 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> "Excerpted from LOSING THE SIGNAL: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry."
>
> A big chunk of it esxplains the blackberry brass not believing the iPhone was going to catch on. Basically, they didn't believe having a useful browser was that important. And, of course, an app store + itunes was a killer.

Btw BusinessWeek did a similar, more indepth story in late 2013.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-12-05/the-rise-and-fall-of-blackberry-an-oral-history

The magazine's cover that week (pictured with the article) probably did more to damage Blackberry's reputation than any article or book ever written.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 25, 2015, 8:45:30 PM5/25/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:16:58 AM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> "Excerpted from LOSING THE SIGNAL: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry."
>
> A big chunk of it esxplains the blackberry brass not believing the iPhone was going to catch on. Basically, they didn't believe having a useful browser was that important. And, of course, an app store + itunes was a killer.

Good read - and an echo of so many other companies not believing the competition is about to eat their lunch