Roads melt at 86 degrees in

CtrlAltDel

Jun 20, 2017, 12:54:22 AM6/20/17
Englandistan. They must make them out of silly putty or something
similar.

https://is.gd/e8Ul13

<https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3830956/uk-weather-temperature-so-hot-
roads-melted-train-tracks-buckled/>

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 20, 2017, 7:36:53 AM6/20/17
What do they use? Parrafin?

JGibson

Jun 20, 2017, 8:56:49 AM6/20/17
How does anybody actually live in Scotland?

xyzzy

Jun 20, 2017, 9:43:41 AM6/20/17
What was that article about? All I saw was lots of pictures of women in bikinis. Not that I'm complaining.

xyzzy

Jun 20, 2017, 9:49:13 AM6/20/17
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:54:22 AM UTC-4, CtrlAltDel wrote:
No they don't.

Official temperatures are measured in the shade. Roads that are melting are not in the shade.

The UK does have a cooler climate so it shouldn't be surprising that their infrastructure is engineered for that climate.

After all I'm sure somewhere in Alaska someone snarked that roofs collapse in Georgia with only a foot of snow on them!

xyzzy

Jun 20, 2017, 9:53:31 AM6/20/17
And one other thing, looking at the picture of the "melted roads" in that article, the road surface itself didn't melt or buckle, it's the pothole patches that did. Probably uses a different, softer material.

wolfie

Jun 20, 2017, 10:04:12 AM6/20/17

"xyzzy" wrote

> The UK does have a cooler climate so it shouldn't be surprising that their
> infrastructure is engineered for that climate.

UK papers love heat/infrastructure stories:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179352/The-U-S-literally-buckling-heat-roads-melt-rails-bend-extreme-weather.html

"Softer" grades of asphalt hold up to winter freezes better, being
less "brittle."

CtrlAltDel

Jun 20, 2017, 9:41:21 PM6/20/17
Okay, I noticed it was just the potholes after you mentioned it. And
Wolfie posted a link and makes it seem plausible that perhaps
Englanistanians just love melting infrastructure stories for some reason.

It may be like Drudge always posting stories about squalid conditions
being found among dozens or even hundreds of animals in a home. There is
almost always a story about animals being taken out of a house. If your
only contact with the outside world was Drudge, you may start to believe
that everyone had about a foot of cat feces on the floor of their homes.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 12:20:10 AM6/21/17
Of course, there is the one question about how often it gets that warm over there.

And the second about how often they see sun...

Mike