I'm getting olde

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 7, 2017, 6:40:58 PM5/7/17
The cheesedaughter - she graduates this upcoming weekend.

Yikes, that went fast.

Off to Virginia* tomorrow to pick up the boy as he finishes up his first year, then off to the Twin Cities.

*With a detour to the Tail of the Dragon to let the GTI have some fun

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

May 7, 2017, 7:18:14 PM5/7/17
:-)

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 8, 2017, 12:30:39 PM5/8/17
On Sun, 7 May 2017 15:40:56 -0700 (PDT), "The Cheesehusker, Trade
Warrior" <iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The cheesedaughter - she graduates this upcoming weekend.

You will be less young when your third grandchild finishes college and
the 4th is ready to enter. I'll send you my t-shirt when you get
there. Don't worry - I don't wear t-shirts.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Emperor Wonko the Sane

May 8, 2017, 2:55:56 PM5/8/17
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 5:40:58 PM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
I know what you mean. The wonkette starts her senior year of high school in the fall. Mrs. Wonko is already panicking about getting her into college, even though most colleges won't even accept an application for Fall 2018 until August. Sigh, it seems like yesterday I was renting a bounce house for the wonkette's birthday party.

Doug

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 8, 2017, 3:09:16 PM5/8/17
My wife -- a retired college professor who has helped hundreds of kids get
into schools -- says that your best bet is to go "early decision" with the
best school you think you are likely to be admitted to. Be agressive. Because
some schools will take early students that they might not take if it were to
wait til more toward deadline.

--
An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 8, 2017, 3:11:35 PM5/8/17
This gives a good summary:

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/early

Key is that she has one school she really, really wants to go to.

--
It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams
because they grow old, they grow old because they

michael anderson

May 8, 2017, 3:29:49 PM5/8/17
the problem I've heard with early decision is that i wonder if it reduces your scholarship/non-loan based financial aid you can get from that school.

I hate to see kids take out big loans(or have their parents pay 20k more per year or whatever) to go to their 'top' choice over another school. I see that all the time. After graduation it isn't likely to matter all that much....so if money is an issue(and for most of it is) at all, I'd think about this.

I don't have kids, but if I did have a kid I'd have trouble paying an extra 20k per year for them to go to an undergraduate school they like more than another perfectly good undergraduate school.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 8, 2017, 5:29:14 PM5/8/17
On Mon, 8 May 2017 11:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Emperor Wonko the Sane
<do...@sorensensdomain.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 5:40:58 PM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior=
> wrote:
>> The cheesedaughter - she graduates this upcoming weekend.
>>
>> Yikes, that went fast.
>>
>> Off to Virginia* tomorrow to pick up the boy as he finishes up his first =
>year, then off to the Twin Cities.
>>
>> *With a detour to the Tail of the Dragon to let the GTI have some fun
>
>I know what you mean. The wonkette starts her senior year of high school in=
> the fall. Mrs. Wonko is already panicking about getting her into college, =
>even though most colleges won't even accept an application for Fall 2018 un=
>til August. Sigh, it seems like yesterday I was renting a bounce house for =
>the wonkette's birthday party.
>
>Doug

Our 3 and 4 grandsons applied to a slew of schools - and visited most
of them from Dallas to Duke. Most, not all, the schools offered
$50,000 scholarships. I'm not sure UTX offers more than acceptance in
the business school but room and board costs $50,000 per year. He
won't have debt when he graduates - but our son may now have to work
as long as I did.

I think an industrious, capable student can learn as much at Cow U. as
he can at Harvard - he just gets a lower starting job. What matters
more is what you can pay for. To me the best choice for college is to
like the school you can (almost) afford. Let her help with the
finances and planning.

And it's not a sin to work every other semester to help pay the way.
One young man from here has a free ride at Bama but worked 2 summers
for a marine biology company. He will be employed by them and they
will pay for his Masters and PhD while he works.

agavi...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 5:44:35 AM5/9/17
Is there room for all those kids and your walker?