YAY FOOTBALL!!!

The NOTBCS Guy

Jun 26, 2017, 9:56:30 AM6/26/17
The NCAA just released a report on the effect of 45 years of Title IX, and it had a few interesting notes:

On average, an FBS school spends 60% of its athletics budget on football, 20% on men's basketball. and 20% on all other sports put together (hence, YAY FOOTBALL!!!).

Between 1988 and 2016, Division I schools have dropped an average of 11 3/4 men's sports teams per year. Gee, I wonder why? Note that, on average, Division II and III schools have increased the average number of men's sports per school in the same period.

The report talks a lot about expenses - but there's one word conspicuously missing: "revenue." It appears just once - when talking about the effect of "revenue-generating sports" in a discussion of dropped men's sports.

Speaking of expenses (and this one surprised me a little), of the Division I schools that don't play football (the so-called "Division I-AAA" schools), on average, 55% of the scholarship money per school goes to women.

xyzzy

Jun 26, 2017, 10:04:03 AM6/26/17
Did the report say what %age of the undergrad population in Division I schools that don't play football are women?

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 26, 2017, 11:19:25 AM6/26/17
On 2017-06-26, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking of expenses (and this one surprised me a little), of the
> Division I schools that don't play football (the so-called "Division
> I-AAA" schools), on average, 55% of the scholarship money per school
> goes to women.

That's because we're discriminating against women by making them
earn well over 50% of college degrees.

--
Give me a young man in whom there is something of the old,
and an old man with something of the young. -- Cicero

The NOTBCS Guy

Jun 26, 2017, 11:21:27 AM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 7:04:03 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

> Did the report say what %age of the undergrad population in Division I schools that don't play football are women?

Yes - 55%. The same with FCS schools. On the other hand, at FBS schools, only 51% are women.
(As a comparison, it is 57% in Division II and 55% in Division III)
Note that 53% of all Division I athletes are men.

The report is available here:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/TitleIX45-295-FINAL_WEB.pdf

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 26, 2017, 11:25:36 AM6/26/17
On 2017-06-26, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 7:04:03 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:
>
>> Did the report say what %age of the undergrad population in Division I schools that don't play football are women?
>
> Yes - 55%. The same with FCS schools. On the other hand, at FBS schools, only 51% are women.
> (As a comparison, it is 57% in Division II and 55% in Division III)
> Note that 53% of all Division I athletes are men.

And the proportion would be a lot higher if all students who had an actual
desire to play sports had an opportunity.

--
Why is it more moral for a federal bureaucrat in a state-supplied SUV to
shut down an offshore oil rig on grounds that it is too dangerous for

xyzzy

Jun 26, 2017, 11:40:55 AM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:19:25 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-06-26, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Speaking of expenses (and this one surprised me a little), of the
> > Division I schools that don't play football (the so-called "Division
> > I-AAA" schools), on average, 55% of the scholarship money per school
> > goes to women.
>
> That's because we're discriminating against women by making them
> earn well over 50% of college degrees.

55% of the scholarship money goes to women.

What's to complain about?

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 26, 2017, 11:52:22 AM6/26/17
Nothing, if you don't complain about the majority of salary money
going to men.

In a similar vein, black people want reparations for slavery and
discrimination. I am sure they could get a lot of people to back those
if that meant there were no more complaints going forward.

--
Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 26, 2017, 12:07:00 PM6/26/17
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 06:56:28 -0700 (PDT), The NOTBCS Guy
<don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The NCAA just released a report on the effect of 45 years of Title IX, and =
>it had a few interesting notes:
>
>On average, an FBS school spends 60% of its athletics budget on football, 2=
>0% on men's basketball. and 20% on all other sports put together (hence, YA=
>Y FOOTBALL!!!).

Major football schools have more thn 80 players on the roster - no
other sport has that many. So comparisons between them and teams of
less than 20 athletes are are absurd.

Why should a school be required to field a team, men or women, when no
one is interested?

Who in AL follows b'ball, soccer or baseball? But they follow women's
softball and gymnastics. A few follow golf and track.

I'm not setting Bama as the standard but other schools could insert
their sports that attract no attention.

I think it's just another liberal SNAFU.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 26, 2017, 12:50:55 PM6/26/17
There is no end to complaints. Freebies should normally have an
expiration date.