Selling my Boxster S

Tonawanda Kardex

Jan 14, 2010, 4:16:36 PM1/14/10
Why?

I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
convertible, more than the Porsche.

I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
machine enthusiast is nearly complete.

My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
back on my German ancestry.

But oh well ...

Tom Enright

Jan 14, 2010, 4:38:55 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 4:16 pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

You are a wise, wise man.

Wearing lederhosen is a bitch anyway.

-Tom Enright

Dan Bretta

Jan 14, 2010, 4:47:04 PM1/14/10
Amen. I've never understood the appeal of foreign sports cars...they
are all ugly to me. Now give me a late 1960's to early 1970's muscle
car any day of the week. I'll take a 1971 GTO or a 1969 Mustang
Fastback.

Dan

The BorgMan

Jan 14, 2010, 4:53:59 PM1/14/10
Tonawanda Kardex <tonawan...@gmail.com> wrote in news:19cab766-c97a-
4939-ae03-0...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

So you're getting rid of your German chick car to drive an American chick
car?

--
Aaron

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 14, 2010, 4:55:28 PM1/14/10
"The BorgMan" <m...@me.net> wrote

>> Why?
>>
>> I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
>> convertible, more than the Porsche.
>>
>> I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
>> machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>>
>> My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
>> back on my German ancestry.
>>
>> But oh well ...
>

> So you're getting rid of your German mid-life crisis to drive an American
> mid-life crisis
> car?

IFYPFY.

--Tedward

Chris Bellomy

Jan 14, 2010, 5:02:44 PM1/14/10
If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
my life. I miss that car.

cb

CheeseHusker dos

Jan 14, 2010, 5:19:54 PM1/14/10

The "if" part makes me chuckle and wince...pretty car, horrid
mechanicals

If a late 60s E type Jag found it's way into my garage, I wouldn't
complain. Kelly Green of course - with a full time mechanic.

Ike

Jan 14, 2010, 6:52:29 PM1/14/10

I am a full blown- brainwashed from the cradle- Mustang/Ford nutjob.
Both my sisters had Mustangs when I was little:
sis #1:'68 Fastback 2 + 2, 289/4BBL/ 4spd, Jade.
sis # 2: '70 Mach One, 351C, 4BBL/ Factory Hurst 4 spd, louvers, wheels, hood
pin locks and a "shaker" scoop from the factory, Grabber Yellow with black trim)

We have the '66 2+2, 289/4bbl/4spd that my dad and I put together after he
retired. It's repainted in it's original Candy Apple Red, and with a couple GT
options like exhaust trumpets and spec Shelby stripes, it's an eye-grabber.

As I get older- and real muscle cars rarer- I've come to really appreciate
seeing the oddballs.
Hurst/Olds 442. Just about any Mopar flavor. Dusters, Roadrunners, GTXs, Sebrings,
Chargers.

Front bench seats, a Hurst 4 speed and a Big Block. They don't make them like
that anymore.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

The formula for Southern Speed:
75% SEC hype
25% ESPN hype
100% BULLSHIT!

Penn State Football.....Dispelling the "Southern Speed" Myth ONE TEAM AT A TIME!

J.C. Watts Enslin

Jan 14, 2010, 7:00:10 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 3:16 pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

No problem. Just taunt a French guy.

Jon

xyzzy

Jan 14, 2010, 8:44:23 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 4:16 pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I had a pla whose first car out of college was Miata, from the first
year they were sold. A few years later he upgraded to an RX-7. Told
me he never loved it as much as the Miata. His next try was a
Boxster. Never loved that one like the Miata either. Now he drives an
Accord.

You are wise to get rid of the Boxtser, if for no other reason than
the outrageously expensive parts and repair costs when that German
reliability (heh) starts to kick in. I still have my 1996 Miata that
I bought new and still love it, though it's not my daily driver.

Steve Cutchen

Jan 14, 2010, 9:48:44 PM1/14/10
In article <uKydnVjeWvIZCdLW...@supernews.com>, Chris
Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:

My high school '58 MGA scoffs at your so-called lack of reliability.

Lucas Electrics:
"We put in a full day, and get home before dark"

I have a picture of a container of Lucas Wiring Harness Smoke. The
label says something to the effect of "At some point, your Lucas wiring
harness will lose it's smoke. You can use this smoke to replace it."

Steve Cutchen

Jan 14, 2010, 9:49:30 PM1/14/10
In article
<2f7ba27d-5010-4a11...@u6g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
CheeseHusker dos <jonr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

And someone to teach me how to get quickly thought THAT gearbox...

Steve Cutchen

Jan 14, 2010, 9:54:27 PM1/14/10
In article
<1aff912d-4db7-46ec...@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 4:16�pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Why?
> >
> > I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> > convertible, more than the Porsche.
> >
> > I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> > machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
> >
> > My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> > back on my German ancestry.
> >
> > But oh well ...
>
> I had a pla whose first car out of college was Miata, from the first
> year they were sold. A few years later he upgraded to an RX-7. Told
> me he never loved it as much as the Miata. His next try was a
> Boxster. Never loved that one like the Miata either.

This doesn't surprise me. To me, a Boxster was always an almost
Porsche. Like a 912. The Miata, on the other hand, is not a
compromise car. It is not supposed to be a 911 or and RX-7. It is
pure and simply what it is. A reincarnation of the classic roadster.
The Spitfire. The Fiat 124. The MG Midget. It does not rely on pure
speed or g forces. It is meant to be a joy to drive.

Tony Lima

Jan 14, 2010, 10:38:19 PM1/14/10
On 1/14/10 1:16 PM, in article
19cab766-c97a-4939...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "Tonawanda
Kardex" <tonawan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pussy. I still drive our BMW Z3. If you think Euro sports cars aren't
worth driving, well, you're not much of a driver.

OTOH if you want to let the car drive you the Muskrat will be just fine. -
Tony

lein

Jan 14, 2010, 10:53:03 PM1/14/10

I miss the old mans pickup, manual 3-speed with the shifter on the
steering column.

Tonawanda Kardex

Jan 14, 2010, 11:47:16 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 1:53 pm, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote in news:19cab766-c97a-
> 4939-ae03-09a61ea71...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> > Why?
>
> > I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> > convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> > I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> > machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>
> > My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> > back on my German ancestry.
>
> > But oh well ...
>
> So you're getting rid of your German chick car to drive an American chick
> car?

mia, is that you?

Tonawanda Kardex

Jan 14, 2010, 11:51:44 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 7:38 pm, Tony Lima <T...@TonyLimaAssociates.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/10 1:16 PM, in article
> 19cab766-c97a-4939-ae03-09a61ea71...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "Tonawanda

> Kardex" <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why?
>
> > I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> > convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> > I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> > machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>
> > My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> > back on my German ancestry.
>
> > But oh well ...
>
> Pussy.  I still drive our BMW Z3.  If you think Euro sports cars aren't
> worth driving, well, you're not much of a driver.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I used to eat BMW M3s and Z3s for lunch in my simple
VW GTI. Most guys who own BMWs can't drive them for shit; they think
just because they're in a BMW means they can drive it. But we all know
the truth: http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=4401

> OTOH if you want to let the car drive you the Muskrat will be just fine.

Okay, yeah, sure, fine, right.

Ike

Jan 15, 2010, 3:10:16 AM1/15/10

First thing I ever drove on the highway. Dad's '72 F-100, 302, 3-on-the-tree, 2wd.
Had to be one of the last vehicles ever made with a column shift. The key was still
on the dash to the left of the column- also a rarity.
The '77 F-150 we had later still had the key on the dash, but to the right of
the column.

Dennis J

Jan 15, 2010, 5:18:10 AM1/15/10
hey, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net>'s been through solid matter,
for crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe
it's scrambled his molecules...

>In article <uKydnVjeWvIZCdLW...@supernews.com>, Chris
>Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>
>> If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
>> my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
>> my life. I miss that car.
>>
>> cb
>
>My high school '58 MGA scoffs at your so-called lack of reliability.

Some say the best car to give a teenage boy is a British sports car,
because he'll never get into trouble with it.
--

"the Democrat and Republican parties are destroying our country right now,
They're destroying our political process." -- Jesse Ventura

"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" Will Durant

"One can't have a sense of perspective without a sense of Humor" -- Wayne Thiboux

"the Glass is not only half full, it has been delicious so far!!" -- ME

To reply, SCRAPE off the end bits.

Bobs yer uncle

Jan 15, 2010, 7:23:23 AM1/15/10

My MIL's mother was one of the most horrid cantankerous old bitches on
the planet--I got along with her fine, but my MIL's family all hated
her (very long story). One day she told me that after the war she
worked at Lucas into the 60's, and I sort of did a double take, and
thought back to all those crappy electrics on all the Triumphs, Jags
and Austin Healys, etc., my friends and I all struggled with.

"So that explains it" , I thought.

Bobs yer uncle

Jan 15, 2010, 7:33:21 AM1/15/10
On Jan 14, 4:16 pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Why the hell would you get a base model? A fully loaded Mustang is a
bargain.

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 10:02:17 AM1/15/10
On Jan 14, 10:38 pm, Tony Lima <T...@TonyLimaAssociates.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/10 1:16 PM, in article
> 19cab766-c97a-4939-ae03-09a61ea71...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "Tonawanda

> Kardex" <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why?
>
> > I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> > convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> > I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> > machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>
> > My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> > back on my German ancestry.
>
> > But oh well ...
>
> Pussy.  I still drive our BMW Z3.  If you think Euro sports cars aren't
> worth driving, well, you're not much of a driver.
>
> OTOH if you want to let the car drive you the Muskrat will be just fine. -
> Tony

Thank you for reinforcing all the stereotypes of BMW drivers in just a
couple of short sentences.

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 10:04:50 AM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 5:18 am, Dennis J <drjud...@verizon.netSCRAPE.COM> wrote:
> hey, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net>'s been through solid matter,
> for crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe
> it's scrambled his molecules...
>
> >In article <uKydnVjeWvIZCdLWnZ2dnUVZ_rti4...@supernews.com>, Chris

> >Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>
> >> If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> >> my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> >> my life. I miss that car.
>
> >> cb
>
> >My high school '58 MGA scoffs at your so-called lack of reliability.
>
> Some say the best car to give a teenage boy is a British sports car,
> because he'll never get into trouble with it.

Worked for me. (Triumph TR7)

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jan 15, 2010, 10:40:28 AM1/15/10
xyzzy presented us with the following on 1/15/2010 10:02 AM:

I've never been happier than with my little 325.

--
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
I'm so cool you can keep a side of meat in me for months.

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 11:03:10 AM1/15/10
On Jan 14, 9:54 pm, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article
> <1aff912d-4db7-46ec-a2c7-aecd174dc...@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

And it is. Mine is stone simple base. No ABS, no power anything.
Practically I should have got rid of it long ago. I've aged 13 years
while owning it and getting in and out isn't the snap it used to be.
Raising the top from inside the cockpit using one arm isn't the snap
it used to be. My wife won't ride in it because she thinks it's too
small and uncomfortable (bad knees and back don't help there). But
once in it and winding it out on country roads (which is any time I go
anywhere because I live in the sticks) I remember why it never gets
old.

Peach

Jan 15, 2010, 11:09:51 AM1/15/10
> steering column.- Hide quoted text -

One of the classic cars I would like to have is an early 70s Cheyenne
with the two-toned paint job....not sure if that's fits your
description, as I don't know the inside of it. :-)

Peach

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:21:45 AM1/15/10
Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote in

> If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> my life. I miss that car.

I miss my 1964 Volkswagen Microbus - other than that, I'd take my current
1996 Honda Accord over any other car I've owned.

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:23:01 AM1/15/10
Tonawanda Kardex <tonawan...@gmail.com> wrote in

I live near Detroit.

Driving a Mustang is like riding an 883 Sportster.

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:26:51 AM1/15/10
Ike <I...@OVERLORD.NET> wrote in news:57O3n.22485$Sh7....@newsfe25.iad:

My dad had a bunch of great cars that he sold off either before or just
after I was born...

1968 Mustang Fastback
1969 Firebird 400
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
1972 Nova SS

--
Aaron

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 11:27:23 AM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 10:40 am, Zaphod Beeblebrox <victor.kin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I'm glad you enjoy it. I would probably enjoy one if I had one too.
As long as you enjoy your car and don't say things like Lima did,
you're not part of the problem.

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 11:28:37 AM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 11:26 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> Ike <I...@OVERLORD.NET> wrote innews:57O3n.22485$Sh7....@newsfe25.iad:

> > Dan Bretta wrote:

Before I was born my mom and dad rented a cottage on a farm in upstate
New York. The owner had a collection of Ferrarris and they would race
them around the frozen pond in the wintertime. I hate learning that
my parents were cooler than me.

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM1/15/10
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Jan 14, 9:54�pm, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> In article
>> <1aff912d-4db7-46ec-a2c7-aecd174dc...@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
>>

>> xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I had a pla whose first car out of college was Miata, from the
>> > first year they were sold. �A few years later he upgraded to an

>> > RX-7. �To

> ld
>> > me he never loved it as much as the Miata. �His next try was a
>> > Boxster. Never loved that one like the Miata either. �
>>
>> This doesn't surprise me. �To me, a Boxster was always an almost
>> Porsche. �Like a 912. �The Miata, on the other hand, is not a
>> compromise car. �It is not supposed to be a 911 or and RX-7. �It is
>> pure and simply what it is. A reincarnation of the classic roadster.
>> The Spitfire. �The Fiat 124. �The MG Midget. �It does not rely on p
> ure
>> speed or g forces. �It is meant to be a joy to drive.
>
> And it is. Mine is stone simple base. No ABS, no power anything.
> Practically I should have got rid of it long ago. I've aged 13 years
> while owning it and getting in and out isn't the snap it used to be.
> Raising the top from inside the cockpit using one arm isn't the snap
> it used to be. My wife won't ride in it because she thinks it's too
> small and uncomfortable (bad knees and back don't help there). But
> once in it and winding it out on country roads (which is any time I go
> anywhere because I live in the sticks) I remember why it never gets
> old.

I'd say the same thing about the RX-7 I had...

Expensive, loud, bumpy, cramped...

...but it was basically a 2000lb, 4 seat, Go-Kart.

--
Aaron

Peach

Jan 15, 2010, 11:32:46 AM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 9:26 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> Ike <I...@OVERLORD.NET> wrote innews:57O3n.22485$Sh7....@newsfe25.iad:
> Aaron- Hide quoted text -

My parents had a cherry red 1965 2-door Impala. They sold it for an
Impala WAGON after the kids started coming. Sigh.

Peach

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 11:40:20 AM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 11:29 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:

Yup, my wife had a 1st gen one. It was fun. Well except for its
average of 700 miles between visits to the mechanic.

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:55:58 AM1/15/10
Peach <straw...@lpbroadband.net> wrote in news:e7ff87c5-8a99-42cc-ab89-
22dcf1...@k22g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

@newsfe25.iad:

I actually think a mid-60's Impala wagon would make a killer muscle
car...

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 11:56:45 AM1/15/10

> On Jan 15, 11:29�am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
>> xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

>> innews:fff80f07-e0cd-48fa-8b11-a6ba0d1
> 23...@g14g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

Mine was 2nd gen - and it ate oil, but it was otherwise pretty reliable.

--
Aaron

Jefferson N. Glapski

Jan 15, 2010, 12:10:04 PM1/15/10
Dan Bretta wrote:

> On Jan 14, 3:38 pm, Tom Enright <freddy_ha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 4:16 pm, Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Why?
>>> I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
>>> convertible, more than the Porsche.
>>> I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
>>> machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>>> My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
>>> back on my German ancestry.
>>> But oh well ...
>> You are a wise, wise man.
>>
>> Wearing lederhosen is a bitch anyway.
>>
> Amen. I've never understood the appeal of foreign sports cars...they
> are all ugly to me. Now give me a late 1960's to early 1970's muscle
> car any day of the week. I'll take a 1971 GTO or a 1969 Mustang
> Fastback.

After driving a Mercedes S600, I know the joys of driving a Mercedes. I
still drive a Ford Expedition, but that's not because it is a better
vehicle. It isn't. I'm not a car person, but if I continued to drive a
Mercedes S600, holy fuck, I would be in about another two weeks.

Peach

Jan 15, 2010, 12:11:40 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 9:55 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> Peach <strawbe...@lpbroadband.net> wrote in news:e7ff87c5-8a99-42cc-ab89-
> 22dcf194e...@k22g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

You mean this one??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2691447175_4d55b4e2e5.jpg

I can't remember if this was our wagon that had the paneling or
not....or if that was our later one. I think our first wagon was an
all white Impala, then we upgraded in around 1969 or so with a Caprice
wagon with the wood panels. :-)

Peach

Peach

Jan 15, 2010, 12:14:18 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 9:55 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> Peach <strawbe...@lpbroadband.net> wrote in news:e7ff87c5-8a99-42cc-ab89-
> 22dcf194e...@k22g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

Woo hoo....here is our later Caprice wagon, only ours was white.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2497/3732182596_82c6d2cb03.jpg

Peach

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 12:56:21 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 11:56 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:

The problem with my wife's was that she didn't drive it enough. She
used to live like 5 miles from work and commuted in it, and it was
pretty reliable then. When her office moved to another town she got
another car for commuting and the rx-7 became the fun car.

Those Wankels need to be driven pretty regularly,or the apex seals dry
up, or something like that. I don't remember exactly, it's been a few
years since we sold it.

Plus word on the 'net is that one of those engines is good for about
75K miles before needing replacement. She had about 70K on it when we
sold it.

Anthony Summers

Jan 15, 2010, 1:11:36 PM1/15/10
In article <0bdedb32-5b07-446a-9bc1-
4ccb85...@w12g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>, xyzzy...@gmail.com says...

> I'm glad you enjoy it. I would probably enjoy one if I had one too.
> As long as you enjoy your car and don't say things like Lima did,
> you're not part of the problem.

Eh, he's not hurting anyone, but I know what you mean. Some BMW drivers
remind me of Apple users, reacting as if their purchase of a particular
product is a life-defining event. It's just a car/computer (tool).

Some dued

Jan 15, 2010, 1:13:09 PM1/15/10
On Jan 14, 4:02 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> my life. I miss that car.
>
> cb

My first car was a Triumph TR7. I loved to sit in it, but was mostly
unable to drive the piece of crap.

Some dued

Jan 15, 2010, 1:15:57 PM1/15/10

Holy crap. My first car... I wonder if ANY of those are still on the
road.

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 1:18:18 PM1/15/10
Peach <straw...@lpbroadband.net> wrote in

Oh yeah... Tub out the rear end, throw in a 350 with a big blower and
nitrous on it, etc...

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 1:19:43 PM1/15/10
Peach <straw...@lpbroadband.net> wrote in

This was ours - although ours was in better shape... 1987 Ford Country
Squire Wagon.

--
Aaron

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Ford-LTD-wagon.jpg

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 1:21:17 PM1/15/10

> On Jan 15, 11:56�am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
>> xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

>> innews:e0bddfd8-f151-4532-a12b-eafcd74
> 93...@j1g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

I'm not sure the exact cause - but they do not like to start after
they've been sitting for a long time, and they don't like to be flooded.

> Plus word on the 'net is that one of those engines is good for about
> 75K miles before needing replacement. She had about 70K on it when we
> sold it.

Probably good for more like 100,000 (maybe less for the Turbo models),
but there is definitely a reduced lifespan.

--
Aaron

Peach

Jan 15, 2010, 1:49:47 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 11:19 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Ford-LTD-wagon.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Heh....my sister had one of those. We called it the burrito wagon or
something like that... After we sold the Caprice Wagon, we got a
1973 Pontiac Bonneville Station Wagon....this caption says it's a
Chebby, but ours looked just like it, but no paneling. And some weird
funky tan color similar to the body paint on this one.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1973%20Pontiac%20Bonneville%20Wagon/Tennesseestorm/72KingswoodEstatewagon-1.jpg

Peach

Tonawanda Kardex

Jan 15, 2010, 2:29:27 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 8:23 am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:

> Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote innews:7a99d1e5-cb8f-4d02...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Jan 14, 1:53 pm, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
> >> Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote in
> >> 4939-ae03-09a61ea71...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> >> So you're getting rid of your German chick car to drive an American
> >> chick car?
>
> > mia, is that you?
>
> I live near Detroit.

That's your choice. And a poor one, at that.

> Driving a Mustang is like riding an 883 Sportster.

Well, I grew up in California, so BMWs are for poseurs, etc.

Chris Bellomy

Jan 15, 2010, 2:41:45 PM1/15/10
Some dued wrote, On 1/15/10 12:13 PM:

To be fair, the drive train of my Alfa was pretty solid.
The electrical was a joke, though.

cb

The BorgMan

Jan 15, 2010, 2:55:10 PM1/15/10

> On Jan 15, 8:23�am, The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:
>> Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote
>> innews:7a99d1e5-cb8f-4

> d02-860d-5...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

>> > mia, is that you?
>>
>> I live near Detroit.
>
> That's your choice. And a poor one, at that.
>
>> Driving a Mustang is like riding an 883 Sportster.
>
> Well, I grew up in California, so BMWs are for poseurs, etc.

BMW's ARE for poseurs.

--
Aaron

Tom Enright

Jan 15, 2010, 3:04:47 PM1/15/10

I really loved that car. The TV ads were great. Unfortunately they
were water-soluable.

I knew this chyck who recieved a TR6 from daddy. Racing
green....camel top (the car)...I'd love to get one of those.

-Tom Enright

Chris Bellomy

Jan 15, 2010, 3:22:22 PM1/15/10
The BorgMan wrote, On 1/15/10 1:55 PM:

There is nothing poseur about a 2002.

cb

Michael Press

Jan 15, 2010, 3:46:02 PM1/15/10
In article <140120102048441498%max...@earthlink.net>,
Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <uKydnVjeWvIZCdLW...@supernews.com>, Chris

> Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>
> > If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> > my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> > my life. I miss that car.
> >
> > cb
>

> My high school '58 MGA scoffs at your so-called lack of reliability.
>

> Lucas Electrics:
> "We put in a full day, and get home before dark"
>
> I have a picture of a container of Lucas Wiring Harness Smoke. The
> label says something to the effect of "At some point, your Lucas wiring
> harness will lose it's smoke. You can use this smoke to replace it."

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its
product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners.
It was the only product they offered that did not suck.

The ebay listing was removed. Duplicated here:

<http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Jan 15, 2010, 4:35:27 PM1/15/10
In article <Xns9D017395...@130.133.4.11>,
The BorgMan <m...@me.net> wrote:

> Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote in

> > If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> > my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> > my life. I miss that car.
>

> I miss my 1964 Volkswagen Microbus - other than that, I'd take my current
> 1996 Honda Accord over any other car I've owned.

1999 Accord. Same attitude.

--
Michael Press

Steve Cutchen

Jan 15, 2010, 10:28:28 PM1/15/10
In article <o4g0l596bt7v6e7b1...@4ax.com>, Dennis J
<drju...@verizon.netSCRAPE.COM> wrote:

> hey, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net>'s been through solid matter,
> for crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe
> it's scrambled his molecules...
>

> >In article <uKydnVjeWvIZCdLW...@supernews.com>, Chris
> >Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> >

> >> If I could get reliability in the Pininfarina body that housed
> >> my '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, I'd drive that car for the rest of
> >> my life. I miss that car.
> >>

> >> cb
> >
> >My high school '58 MGA scoffs at your so-called lack of reliability.
>

> Some say the best car to give a teenage boy is a British sports car,
> because he'll never get into trouble with it.

I could four-wheel drift at legal speeds!

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 10:34:20 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 1:13 pm, Some dued <theodorew...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had a TR7 in high school. Surprisingly, never had a problem with
it.

xyzzy

Jan 15, 2010, 10:35:03 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 3:22 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> The BorgMan wrote, On 1/15/10 1:55 PM:
>

> > Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote in

> >> d02-860d-5d04f5948...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> >> That's your choice. And a poor one, at that.

> >> Well, I grew up in California, so BMWs are for poseurs, etc.
>
> > BMW's ARE for poseurs.
>
> There is nothing poseur about a 2002.
>
> cb

When was the last time you saw one on the road?

Chris Bellomy

Jan 15, 2010, 10:46:05 PM1/15/10
xyzzy wrote, On 1/15/10 9:35 PM:
> When was the last time you saw one on the road?

I'm not the guy to ask that question. There's one in my 'hood.

cb

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jan 15, 2010, 10:46:22 PM1/15/10
Disculpa Senora xyzzy, pero did you really mime the following on
1/15/2010 10:34 PM???

On a peripherally related note, a pal of mine in grad school owned a '76
(or maybe it was a '77...) Lancia Beta 2000. He paid around 1500 bucks
for it - in 1982 - from a used card dealer. Like the dealer
(probably...), I had never even HEARD of Lancia. But this was one of
the sweetest cars I have ever driven. Gawd, was it SO cool. I still
recall a trip we took to Chi-town where we parked the car outside a
pizza place near the University of Chicago - the owner of the joint (an
old Italian dude) came charging out and rattled off a bunch of shit in
Italian - I still recall him blowing kisses in the direction of the car
and saying something that sounded like "Tutu Bella!" Anyway, this car
was just the total shitz.

P.S. The car died a few months later, when the engine - no kidding -
caught fire! People were running down Dodge Street in Iowa City
screaming "Your car is on fire!"

DanS.

Jan 15, 2010, 10:49:53 PM1/15/10
Tonawanda Kardex, I've never been so impressed by your ability put all
the words together as I was on 1/14/2010 in saying:

> Why?
>
> I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>
> My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> back on my German ancestry.
>
> But oh well ...

There are happy medium Beemers, you know, right?

Bobs yer uncle

Jan 16, 2010, 7:51:53 AM1/16/10
On Jan 15, 10:46 pm, Zaphod Beeblebrox <victor.ki...@verizon.net>
wrote:

A friend of mine had one of those but it never self immolated AFAIK.
He had another one, I think it was called a Scorpion. My circle of
friends and myself had Alphas, (a Sprint Veloce,IIRC) Triumphs
(Spitfire,TR7, TR6, and TR250 something) Austins (Healy Sprite,
American), Fiat (Spyder, and that little sedan that Remy Julliene did
the stunt driving in that commercial) VW Karmann Ghia, BMW tii,
Sunbeam Tiger (like in Get Smart) but the most reliable was the Datsun
2000 Roadster.

The guy with the Fiat Spyder owned it for about two months before he
figured out that the trunk keyhole was in the middle of one of the
zeros in the "2000" on the trunk lid.

I think the overall best performer in terms of reliability, fun, and
fairly decent handling was the Datsun 510.

jdtiger

Jan 16, 2010, 8:40:38 AM1/16/10
wrote:
> Why?
>
> I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> machine enthusiast is nearly complete.
>
> My dad would be cringing if he were still alive, since I'm turning my
> back on my German ancestry.
>
> But oh well ...

Get a 2006 or later model G35/37 6MT. Cheap, fast, great fun to drive.
It's not the fastest car in the world but it'll do 0-60 in just under
6 seconds and corners like a go-kart. The traction control system is
way too aggressive and always shutting you down but I mostly turn it
off anyway.

Steve Cutchen

Jan 16, 2010, 12:04:47 PM1/16/10
In article
<a251f080-e300-4613...@p24g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

I have a friend that bought a 2002 new in '76.

A gal in his apartment complex saw it and said, "Bill! Did you get a
new car? I just LOVE Volvos!"

He said he was Yuppie when Yuppie wasn't cool.

Michael Press

Jan 16, 2010, 2:57:37 PM1/16/10

> I think the overall best performer in terms of reliability, fun, and
> fairly decent handling was the Datsun 510.

I had one. On mountain roads I kept up with my "betters."

--
Michael Press

The BorgMan

Jan 18, 2010, 1:13:33 PM1/18/10
Bobs yer uncle <mcgri...@aol.com> wrote in news:a251f080-e300-4613-860e-
747f4e...@p24g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> I think the overall best performer in terms of reliability, fun, and
> fairly decent handling was the Datsun 510.

The ultimate old school road racer - the Datsun Five & Dime.

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Jan 18, 2010, 1:14:34 PM1/18/10
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote in news:8091aa83-72a2-4879-91e9-
29bda6...@m25g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

> On Jan 15, 3:22�pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>> The BorgMan wrote, On 1/15/10 1:55 PM:
>>

>> > Tonawanda Kardex <tonawandakar...@gmail.com> wrote in

2fb509...@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I didn't say BMWs were poseurs, I said BMW drivers were poseurs.

Nice, if overpriced, cars. Douchebag drivers.

--
Aaron

mianderson

Jan 18, 2010, 1:22:04 PM1/18/10
wrote:
> Why?
>
> I love to drive our Mustang, even though it's just a base-model
> convertible, more than the Porsche.
>
> I think my transition from European sports car snob to American muscle
> machine enthusiast is nearly complete.

dude, it's a boxster......people who drive real porsches don't even
consider boxsters porsches......

Driving a boxster is like living in bakersfield and saying "yeah, I
live in california" as if it's the same as living in sandiego or
something....