Is there anything to do in Atlanta?

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
in the greater Atlanta area?

-Alan Harder
Go Blue!
Go Buckeyes!
Fox Terriers rule!

Jeff Rogers

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:

>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
>in the greater Atlanta area?

The can't-miss sites that Atlanta is famous for aren't exactly family
establishments. 8-)

Seriously, though, late March would be a great time to go to Stone
Mountain. It's east of the city. You can't miss it. You can see
everything from up there.

During the day, you might want to take the CNN Studio tour at CNN
Center.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Atlanta has a downtown night
life. The city shuts down at 6PM, and all nightlife moves up to
Buckhead or to the "satellite cities." (hey to Tom Wolfe.)

Any other ideas, guys?

--
Jeffrey W. Rogers
http://jwrogers.home.mindspring.com/

In retrospect, the problem seems clear: HAL wasn't Y2K-compliant.

Harry Boswell

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Jeff Rogers <jwro...@mindspring.com> wrote:

: On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:

:>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
:>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
:>in the greater Atlanta area?

: The can't-miss sites that Atlanta is famous for aren't exactly family
: establishments. 8-)

: Any other ideas, guys?

Eat barbecue at Harold's.

--
Harry Boswell hbos...@netdoor.com
USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78kf6e$mfl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
out
>in the greater Atlanta area?

Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer),
Cyclorama (takes about 20 minutes),
High Museum (haha),
Six Flags (but it's off season),
Braves game (also off season),
Falcons game (off season),
Hawks game (off season),
Ga Tech football (off season),
1996 Olympics (off).

Atlanta really isn't a place to visit unless you have a reason.

Daryl D. Spillmann

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote:

> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> in the greater Atlanta area?

One word: Cheetah

--
-------------------------
Daryl D. Spillmann

Jeff Singleton

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
In article <Swkr2.96$gU1...@axe.netdoor.com>, Harry Boswell
<hbos...@lance.netdoor.com> wrote:

> Jeff Rogers <jwro...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> : On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>
> :>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> :>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> :>in the greater Atlanta area?
>

> : The can't-miss sites that Atlanta is famous for aren't exactly family
> : establishments. 8-)
>
> : Any other ideas, guys?
>
> Eat barbecue at Harold's.

Abso-fkn-lutely!!! It's near the Federal Pen that burned a few years ago.

Rumor has it that Harold's inspired a breakout many years ago - seems the
aroma was too much to bear for a couple of cons. They were recaptured in
Harold's.

cheers

--
sing...@NOSPAM.eng.umd.edu

wvu '84 gt '88 umd '99 newport news rugby #5

Boutros

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
a...@math.ams.org wrote:

> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> in the greater Atlanta area?

Head up I-24 and See Rock City

=======
Boutros

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
a...@math.ams.org writes:

> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> in the greater Atlanta area?

Cheetah!!!!!

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Harry Boswell <hbos...@lance.netdoor.com> writes:

> Jeff Rogers <jwro...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> : On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>

> :>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the

> :>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> :>in the greater Atlanta area?
>

> : The can't-miss sites that Atlanta is famous for aren't exactly family
> : establishments. 8-)
>
> : Any other ideas, guys?
>
> Eat barbecue at Harold's.

Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.

Jeff Rogers

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:16:00 -0500, "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net>
wrote:

>Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer)

It's PLENTY warm for Stone Mountain in late March...

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Daryl D. Spillmann wrote in message <36ADDC26...@tamu.edu>...

>a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>
>> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville
the
>> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
out
>> in the greater Atlanta area?
>>

>One word: Cheetah

Gold Club rutses Cheetah.

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Jeff Singleton wrote in message ...

>> Eat barbecue at Harold's.
>
>Abso-fkn-lutely!!! It's near the Federal Pen that burned a few years ago.
>
>Rumor has it that Harold's inspired a breakout many years ago - seems the
>aroma was too much to bear for a couple of cons. They were recaptured in
>Harold's.

If it is the place I'm thinking of, it's a real dive with flies buzzing
around the room, and they use paper plates?

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Boutros <bou...@hosed.com> writes:

> Head up I-24 and See Rock City

I-24 doesn't go through Atlanta.

Theodore M. Smith

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:28:29 GMT, jwro...@mindspring.com (Jeff
Rogers) wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>
>>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
>>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
>>in the greater Atlanta area?

>Any other ideas, guys?

How about making somebody's book of records by driving on each
of the two thousand, one hundred and seventy-nine streets named
"Peachtree"?

Respectfully yours,

Ted Smith
Denver, Colorado

Where we always
walk a mile high.

Harry Boswell

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
DAVID <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:

: Jeff Singleton wrote in message ...

Down south of the old stadium, off the main drag 5 or 6 blocks, small
establishment, looks like a dump. Good 'Q, though.

Which leads me to Boswell's First Rule Of Barbecue:

If the place looks respectable, they're trying to distract you
from the food. Don't go in.

Boutros

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Correction: Head up to I-24 and See Rock City

=======
Boutros

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Harry Boswell wrote in message ...

>DAVID <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:
>
>: If it is the place I'm thinking of, it's a real dive with flies buzzing
>: around the room, and they use paper plates?
>
>Down south of the old stadium, off the main drag 5 or 6 blocks, small
>establishment, looks like a dump. Good 'Q, though.

The place I'm thinking of is located in a junky looking industrial area with
railroad tracks.

mark lewis

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
It's plenty warm NOW !

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Harry Boswell wrote in message <_kur2.130$gU1...@axe.netdoor.com>...
>DAVID <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:
>
>: The place I'm thinking of is located in a junky looking industrial area
with
>: railroad tracks.
>
>Well, I've only been at dusk/night, so I can't say for sure, but
>that sounds like the area. It ain't pretty, for sure.

>--
>Harry Boswell hbos...@netdoor.com
>USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
>Home Page: http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell

You have got to be the largest person on Usenet. You definitely know how to
fill up a doorway. If I ever get on your nerves, remind me of how big you
are and I'll stop.

DAVID

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

J. Rogers wrote in message <36b191a1...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>...

>Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah

Everyone says that. I've never been to PP before, I better go.

an...@mindspring.com

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Theodore M. Smith wrote in message
<36b60e88...@news.dimensional.com>...

>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:28:29 GMT, jwro...@mindspring.com (Jeff
>Rogers) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:04 GMT, a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>>
>>>My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville
the
>>>last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
out
>>>in the greater Atlanta area?
>
>>Any other ideas, guys?
>

> How about making somebody's book of records by driving on each
>of the two thousand, one hundred and seventy-nine streets named
>"Peachtree"?

They're easy to find.

--
War Eagle!
a.

....just turn right off Powder Springs Road.

Harry Boswell

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

J. Rogers

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:24:58 -0500, "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net>
was strip-searched in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>Daryl D. Spillmann wrote in message <36ADDC26...@tamu.edu>...
>>

>>a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>>
>>> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville
>the
>>> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
>out
>>> in the greater Atlanta area?
>>>

>>One word: Cheetah
>

>Gold Club rutses Cheetah.

Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah

John Rogers
AU Class of 1985
tige...@yahoo.com

Jefferson Glapski

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Jeff Rogers wrote in message <36ae057f...@news.mindspring.com>...

>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:16:00 -0500, "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net>
>wrote:
>>Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer)
>
>It's PLENTY warm for Stone Mountain in late March...

Yup, especially if:

1. You're from Meatchicken
2. You climb up the damn thing.

If you can, get to Savannah on St. Patty's day.

Jefferson Glapski

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
that I found surfing the web:

Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
The Georgia State Botanical Garden

Is there any local beer I should check out?

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
In article <78km3p$b19$0...@dosa.alt.net>,

"DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:

> a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78kf6e$mfl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> >last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
> out
> >in the greater Atlanta area?
>
> Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer),
> Cyclorama (takes about 20 minutes),
> High Museum (haha),
> Six Flags (but it's off season),
> Braves game (also off season),
> Falcons game (off season),
> Hawks game (off season),
> Ga Tech football (off season),
> 1996 Olympics (off).

What about NASCAR?

> Atlanta really isn't a place to visit unless you have a reason.

Yeah, we're going down there to visit friends that stoopidly moved away from
Michigan. They just happen to live near Atlanta.

Harry Boswell

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
DAVID <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:

: You have got to be the largest person on Usenet. You definitely know how to

: fill up a doorway. If I ever get on your nerves, remind me of how big you
: are and I'll stop.

What, little ol' me???

jimw...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
In article <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

a...@math.ams.org wrote:

> Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
> ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
> that I found surfing the web:
>
> Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
> Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
> The Georgia State Botanical Garden
>
> Is there any local beer I should check out?

Billy Beer RAWKS!!!

Jim Weeks
email to: weeksATaustinDOTapcDOTslbDOTcom

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
"Jefferson Glapski" <j...@GOPHILSican.net> writes:

> Yup, especially if:
>
> 1. You're from Meatchicken
> 2. You climb up the damn thing.
>
> If you can, get to Savannah on St. Patty's day.

Is climbing Stone Mountain some prerequisite for going to Savannah on
St Patty's day?

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

weagl...@worldnet.att.net (J. Rogers) writes:

> Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah

Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?

DAVID

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

Harry Boswell wrote in message ...

>DAVID <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:
>
>: You have got to be the largest person on Usenet. You definitely know how
>: fill up a doorway. If I ever get on your nerves, remind me of how big
you
>: are and I'll stop.
>
>What, little ol' me???

Yes sir.
How much do you charge to beat up people?

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
a...@math.ams.org writes:

> Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
> ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
> that I found surfing the web:
>
> Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
> Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta

Amacalola Falls, where the Appalachian Trail begins, is beautiful. My
wife and I stayed at the lodge at the top of the falls once.

> The Georgia State Botanical Garden

Is that the one in Lawrenceville? There's also one in Atlanta itself
near Piedmont Park, but I think that's the Atlanta Botanic Garden.We
thought about having our wedding reception at the one in Lawrencevill,
but all that was available was outside, and outside in July was either
going to be hot or rainy.

While in Lawrenceville, you can also drive through town and see the
Lawrencville Historical Courthouse outside of which Larry Flynt was
shot. (And where we DID have our wedding reception, on what turned
out to be the only rain-free, reasonably cool weekend in July that
year.)

> Is there any local beer I should check out?

Nothing immediately springs to mind, but the Atlanta Biergarten in
Buckhead brews some pretty good stuff. Just so I can bring up my wife
(at least indirectly) in every paragraph, I'll mention that the last
time I went there I drank too much, came home really late, and had to
sleep on the couch.

Oh. And if you're really starving for some place you can spend money
and wait in line for a big honkin; advertisment, you can go downtown
to the "World of Coke." (My wife and I went there once.) The only
cool thing is at the end they have serve-yourself soda-fountains with
coke products, both foreign and domestic, and a plentiful supply of
sample cups. My advice to you: stay away from the Floral Fanta.

--
Ted Rathkopf

Support your favorite non-profit organization. Visit:

DAVID

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Dave and Busters, it's a bar/restaurant (well, maybe they got rid of the
restaurant) with an absolutely huge video game room and virtual reality
stuff. It's in Cobb county, about 30 minutes from Lawrencevile.

DAVID

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta

If you go up there, be sure to eat at the Smithouse in Dalonaga (?). I
haven't been in years, but it's great Stn. cooking and they bring bowls to
the table and you can eat all you want (course, you gotta sit at a big table
with people you don't know).

DAVID

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf92$6kv$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>What about NASCAR?

That's at Cape Canaveral. (the moonrocks are cool).

Jefferson N. Glapski

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

>In article <78km3p$b19$0...@dosa.alt.net>,
> "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:
>>
>> a...@math.ams.org wrote in message
<78kf6e$mfl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>> >My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in
Lawrenceville the
>> >last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should
check
>> out
>> >in the greater Atlanta area?
>>
>> Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer),
>> Cyclorama (takes about 20 minutes),
>> High Museum (haha),
>> Six Flags (but it's off season),
>> Braves game (also off season),
>> Falcons game (off season),
>> Hawks game (off season),
>> Ga Tech football (off season),
>> 1996 Olympics (off).
>
>What about NASCAR?
>
>> Atlanta really isn't a place to visit unless you have a reason.
>
>Yeah, we're going down there to visit friends that stoopidly moved away
from
>Michigan. They just happen to live near Atlanta.

Travel from Marietta to Savannah, and you can travel the RUTSing route
that Sherman took.

--
Jefferson Glapski

Mark Hasty

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

I've been to the one in suburban Chicago. It's worth spending the time
and money. But dang it, they didn't have any classic video games. An
arcade without Vanguard is sadly lacking, IMO.

--
---------------------------------------
Mark Hasty ho...@sentco.net

Jefferson N. Glapski

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> wrote in message

>Oh. And if you're really starving for some place you can spend money
>and wait in line for a big honkin; advertisment, you can go downtown
>to the "World of Coke." (My wife and I went there once.) The only
>cool thing is at the end they have serve-yourself soda-fountains with
>coke products, both foreign and domestic, and a plentiful supply of
>sample cups. My advice to you: stay away from the Floral Fanta.

Don't experiment at all. Particularly brutal is the Japanese sody pops.
Just drink as much Coke as you can.

Jefferson N. Glapski

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
<jimw...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

>In article <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the
excellent
>> ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering
visiting
>> that I found surfing the web:
>>
>> Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
>> Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
>> The Georgia State Botanical Garden
>>
>> Is there any local beer I should check out?
>>

>Billy Beer RAWKS!!!

We elected the wrong Carter. ($1)

DAVID

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

Jefferson N. Glapski wrote in message <78np5p$d7o$1...@demon.uunet.ca>...

Sherman was just pimping for another star. Fkn whore.

joseph

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Mark Hasty <ho...@sentco.net> was rumored to have said:

: I've been to the one in suburban Chicago. It's worth spending the time

: and money. But dang it, they didn't have any classic video games. An
: arcade without Vanguard is sadly lacking, IMO.

or gauntlet.

-joseph [who doesn't have the money to play gauntlet legends at 3
quarters a pop]

joseph

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:

:> Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah

: Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?

they have the $4.95 lunch buffet, hence Diamond Club RUTses them all.
but (new!)Girls R Fun has a ATM though.

-joseph

joseph

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Jeff Rogers <jwro...@mindspring.com> was rumored to have said:

: The can't-miss sites that Atlanta is famous for aren't exactly family
: establishments. 8-)

d()()d, everyone should bring their family to a miss newd world pageant.

: Seriously, though, late March would be a great time to go to Stone
: Mountain. It's east of the city. You can't miss it. You can see
: everything from up there.

pretty cool but don't be a lameass and take the cable up. walk it up,
the view on the way up is great too. i saw the sunset up there. it was
really cool.

: During the day, you might want to take the CNN Studio tour at CNN
: Center.

ctv("awww.. hell no!");/*chris tucker's voice*/
this one is a snoozer. give it a pass.

try the coca cola museum. skip everything else and just to to the drinks
of the world section. that's the only thing worth spending your time.
don't ever sit through that coca cola movie or whatever.

oh, if there is a game, go watch the yellowjacket's basketball team
play. too bad baseball games won't start till later.

-joseph

joseph

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:

: Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.

jerk chicken at eats. breakfast at juniors.

-joseph

David McPherson

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
In article <rxk8y84...@notnow.com>, Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> writes:

|> weagl...@worldnet.att.net (J. Rogers) writes:
|>
|> > Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah
|>
|> Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?

..>>>>>Cheetah>>>>>watching E!>>>>>playing Tomb Raider>>>Diamond club

That place has gone downhill, last time I was there was for a bachlor party.
The fact that we only stayed for 1/2 hour should say enough. On a Sat. night,
there were more people in our party than working there.
--

d...@majure.com "Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park,
but it still has the longest line" - Ric Flair

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
joseph <joseph...@resnet.gatech.edu> writes:

> Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:
>
> : Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.
>
> jerk chicken at eats.

Super burrito at Tortillas.

> breakfast at juniors.

I used to live across the street from Juniors (Smith 420) before it
got torn down to build the GSU dorms. Good breakfast. And lunch.

I only had to call the cops from my dorm room to report a crime twice
all year. One night some kids broke the window at Juniors and one
time some guy was getting mugged right under the street light by
Juniors. Nothing like living a block away from the housing projects.

an...@mindspring.com

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
DAVID wrote in message <78nlv8$o51$0...@dosa.alt.net>...

>a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
>

>If you go up there, be sure to eat at the Smithouse in Dalonaga (?). I

^^^^^^^^

I can help you with this one if you can help me w/ Amicalola (sp?) Falls.

It's Dahlonega. No wait, maybe it's Dalohnega.

Either way, you'll get in trouble if you go in one of the working mines.

They have a trout hatchery up there that's pretty cool too. Especially when
you throw rocks in with the fingerlings (ODL!). They swarm on anything that
hits that water.

--
War Eagle!
a.

......I am in no way connected to the Smithhouse.

an...@mindspring.com

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
>ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
>that I found surfing the web:
>
>Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
^^^^^^^^^^

Hey to Amicalola (sp?) Falls. The tallest (?) in (?).

>Is there any local beer I should check out?

Bud, Pabst, Red, White, AND Blue.

They have all the good ones.

--
War Eagle!
a.

.......I watched 'em fly some bodies out of Amicalola (sp?) Falls when I was
a kid.

J.D. Frankland

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
> >If you go up there, be sure to eat at the Smithouse in Dalonaga (?). I
>
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> I can help you with this one if you can help me w/ Amicalola (sp?) Falls.
>
> It's Dahlonega. No wait, maybe it's Dalohnega.

Dahlonega. The original "D" mint mark on US gold coins, from right around the
1830s.

HTH.

-- jdf

Mark Hasty

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

joseph wrote:

> Mark Hasty <ho...@sentco.net> was rumored to have said:
>
> : I've been to the one in suburban Chicago. It's worth spending the time
> : and money. But dang it, they didn't have any classic video games. An
> : arcade without Vanguard is sadly lacking, IMO.
>
> or gauntlet.

You have MAME on your machine, right?

Mark Hasty

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

joseph wrote:

> Mark Hasty <ho...@sentco.net> was rumored to have said:
>

> : You have MAME on your machine, right?
>
> not anymore. i don't really have a machine to speak of right now. damn
> tuition. sigh. but nonetheless, i know what MAME is, but my answer is
> "it's just not the same!"

Yeah, it's missing the atmosphere and controls, but it's pretty nice to
be able to play 200+ arcade games and not worry about running out of
quarters . . .

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <rxww283...@notnow.com>,
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> wrote:

> Nothing immediately springs to mind, but the Atlanta Biergarten in
> Buckhead brews some pretty good stuff. Just so I can bring up my wife
> (at least indirectly) in every paragraph, I'll mention that the last
> time I went there I drank too much, came home really late, and had to
> sleep on the couch.

Dood, you must now post GIFS of your wife. It's required by law that if you
mention a hottie three times in the same post, GIFS must be forthcoming.

-Alan Harder
Go Blue!
Go Buckeyes!
Fox Terriers rule!

Jeff Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:52:32 -0500, <an...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Theodore M. Smith wrote in message
><36b60e88...@news.dimensional.com>...
>>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:28:29 GMT, jwro...@mindspring.com (Jeff
>>Rogers) wrote:

>the
>out
>>

>>>Any other ideas, guys?
>>

>> How about making somebody's book of records by driving on each
>>of the two thousand, one hundred and seventy-nine streets named
>>"Peachtree"?
>

>They're easy to find.
>
>--
>War Eagle!
>a.
>
>....just turn right off Powder Springs Road.

It's a couple of miles from the Big Chicken.

--
Jeffrey W. Rogers
http://jwrogers.home.mindspring.com/

In retrospect, the problem seems clear: HAL wasn't Y2K-compliant.

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <78oimn$omc$1...@camel25.mindspring.com>,

<an...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >

> >Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
> >ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
> >that I found surfing the web:
> >
> >Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
> >Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Hey to Amicalola (sp?) Falls. The tallest (?) in (?).
>
> >Is there any local beer I should check out?
>
> Bud, Pabst, Red, White, AND Blue.
>
> They have all the good ones.

Oh, gag. I was talking about microbreweries, where they brew beer with actual
flavour. You know, like Hasty is attempting to do.

J. Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:25:52 GMT, d...@majure.com (David McPherson) was
strip-searched in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>|> Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?
>|>

>..>>>>>Cheetah>>>>>watching E!>>>>>playing Tomb Raider>>>Diamond club
>
>That place has gone downhill, last time I was there was for a bachlor party.
>The fact that we only stayed for 1/2 hour should say enough. On a Sat. night,
>there were more people in our party than working there.

He speaks truth...

John Rogers
AU Class of 1985
tige...@yahoo.com

J. Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:32:57 GMT, a...@math.ams.org was strip-searched

in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
>ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
>that I found surfing the web:
>
>Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta

Amicilola Falls, north of Atlanta, is quite nice. Nice hiking trails
there as well.

And, as a bonus, while passing through Dawsonville on the way you can
stop in at Bill Elliot's garage...

J. Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:32:57 GMT, a...@math.ams.org was strip-searched
in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>Is there any local beer I should check out?

The Phoenix Brewing Company, immediately south of I-285 on Roswell
Road (in The Prado), has some awesome brews. If they have a batch made
up try some of their San Francisco Sledgehammer (ODL!!). They also
have a good Oatmeal Stout...

J. Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:32:22 -0500, <an...@mindspring.com> was

strip-searched in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>>

>>Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
>>ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
>>that I found surfing the web:
>>
>>Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
>>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta

> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Hey to Amicalola (sp?) Falls. The tallest (?) in (?).

Amicalola Falls has the longest drop of any falls east of the
Mississippi River. It is not, however, a completely vertical drop.
They are just measuring from sea level - top to sea level - bottom.

They are beautiful, though...

joseph

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:

: Super burrito at Tortillas.

err... to much beans. not a big fan of it. their chips are great and so
is their salsa.
how about gumbo-a-go-go?

: I used to live across the street from Juniors (Smith 420) before it

: got torn down to build the GSU dorms. Good breakfast. And lunch.

their french toast is unbelievable.

: I only had to call the cops from my dorm room to report a crime twice

: all year. One night some kids broke the window at Juniors and one
: time some guy was getting mugged right under the street light by
: Juniors. Nothing like living a block away from the housing projects.

they are gone now. now they have some centennial complex thing or
something like that. pretty nice. brand new.

-joseph

joseph

a...@math.ams.org

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <36b7e6dc...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
weagl...@worldnet.att.net (J. Rogers) wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:32:57 GMT, a...@math.ams.org was strip-searched

> in Eclectic, AL for saying:
>
> >Is there any local beer I should check out?
> >

> The Phoenix Brewing Company, immediately south of I-285 on Roswell
> Road (in The Prado), has some awesome brews. If they have a batch made
> up try some of their San Francisco Sledgehammer (ODL!!). They also
> have a good Oatmeal Stout...

Now I'm starting to get fired up!

Robert.Gretta

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
a...@math.ams.org wrote:
> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> in the greater Atlanta area?

1) Visit GaTech and see the real 1990 MNC Trophy (Sears Crystal Football)
2) One word - "Cyclerama"
3) Stone Mountain laser show. You can yell "YeeeeHaaa!" with the locals
when they animate R.E.Lee and the rebel flag during the finale.
An interesting note is that Stone Mountain is the second most visited
park in the US next to Walt Disney World.
4) Coke Museum... drink free samples of coke from around the world... "mmmm
Czech coke, pityu!"..."made with real sulfur."
5) The Cheetah III - local hotels give out coupons... if your wife likes
to, um "Walk on the wild side."
6) Tube the Chattahoochie! But dodge the chunks.
7) mmmmm ... The Cheesecake Factory
8) Grab some Kreullers at the local Krispy Kream.
9) Visit the "Big Chicken" at the KFC in north Atlanta... designed by
a Tech grad.
10) Can you say "CNN tour" or "Cartoon Network tour"?

there's really nothing else worth seeing.

Places not to go...
1) Athens
2) High Museum of Art
3) Atlanta Botanical Gardens
4) Anywhere around "Turner Stadium"
5) Gwinnett Place Mall

David Barnes

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
>ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
>that I found surfing the web:
>
>Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse
>Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
>The Georgia State Botanical Garden
>
>Is there any local beer I should check out?

In bottles, get some Red Brick Ale and Laughing Skull, both made locally.
For a great brewery or two try the Phoenix Brewery at the Prado (Sandy
Springs exit on I-285), great food too, or The Mill in Piedmont Park, we
have our Christmas party there every year, and they have gotten
progressively better. Or drive out to Kennessaw (about 80 miles from
L'ville since some bastard keeps voting down an outer perimeter) and you can
have a brew I made in my garage.

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
joseph <joseph...@resnet.gatech.edu> writes:

> err... to much beans. not a big fan of it. their chips are great and so
> is their salsa.

Quesadillas too.

> how about gumbo-a-go-go?

After my time. And I live in bayou country now. I can get pretty
good gumbo down here.

Pat Jenkins

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Robert.Gretta wrote:

> a...@math.ams.org wrote:
> > My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
> > last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
> > in the greater Atlanta area?
>
> 1) Visit GaTech and see the real 1990 MNC Trophy (Sears Crystal Football)
> 2) One word - "Cyclerama"
> 3) Stone Mountain laser show. You can yell "YeeeeHaaa!" with the locals
> when they animate R.E.Lee and the rebel flag during the finale.
> An interesting note is that Stone Mountain is the second most visited
> park in the US next to Walt Disney World.
> 4) Coke Museum... drink free samples of coke from around the world... "mmmm
> Czech coke, pityu!"..."made with real sulfur."
> 5) The Cheetah III - local hotels give out coupons... if your wife likes
> to, um "Walk on the wild side."
> 6) Tube the Chattahoochie! But dodge the chunks.
> 7) mmmmm ... The Cheesecake Factory
> 8) Grab some Kreullers at the local Krispy Kream.
> 9) Visit the "Big Chicken" at the KFC in north Atlanta... designed by
> a Tech grad.
> 10) Can you say "CNN tour" or "Cartoon Network tour"?

11) THE VARSITY !!!! I can't believe no one has mentioned
it yet.

mmmmmm, grease!

PJ

Ed Cometz

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
:> Ted Rathkopf <rath...@nzazxotnow.com> writes:
:>>a...@math.amzazxs.org writes:
:>>
:>> Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent

:>> ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
:>> that I found surfing the web:

:>> Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta
:>
:>Amacalola Falls, where the Appalachian Trail begins, is beautiful. My
:>wife and I stayed at the lodge at the top of the falls once.

Tallulah Gorge is cool, too.

:>> Is there any local beer I should check out?
:>
:>Nothing immediately springs to mind, but the Atlanta Biergarten in

:>Buckhead brews some pretty good stuff.

John Harvard's (1 block away from the Biergarten) is good, too.

Ed Cometz

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
:>joseph <joseph...@resnet.gsgxcvatech.edu> writes:
:>>
:>> : Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.

Kickassedness of Benny's and Fatt Matt's acknowledged.
Williamson Brothers is pretty good, too.

:>> jerk chicken at eats.
:>
:>Super burrito at Tortillas.

Taco Cabana (two blocks away from Fatt Matt's)

Frijolero's was awesome.... but its closed now. Sniff.

:>> breakfast at juniors.

Original Pancake House.

But if what you need is a complete "flushing out of your
pipes", there's no place like The Varisty!!!!

joseph

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

oh one more big thing.
Dwarf House. you can go to the one south of atlanta or i heard there is
one in Marietta. basically 24 hour Chick-Fil-A with a better menu.

-joseph

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
e...@beta.ee.ufl.edu (Ed Cometz) writes:

> :> Ted Rathkopf <rath...@nzazxotnow.com> writes:

> :>Nothing immediately springs to mind, but the Atlanta Biergarten in
> :>Buckhead brews some pretty good stuff.
>

> John Harvard's (1 block away from the Biergarten) is good, too.

Yeah, but John Harvard's is a chain. For good local stuff, you can't
go to a chain.

Daryl D. Spillmann

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

joseph wrote:

> Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:
>
> :> Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah

> : Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?
>

> they have the $4.95 lunch buffet, hence Diamond Club RUTses them all.
> but (new!)Girls R Fun has a ATM though.

Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.

--
-------------------------
Daryl D. Spillmann

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
e...@beta.ee.ufl.edu (Ed Cometz) writes:

> But if what you need is a complete "flushing out of your
> pipes", there's no place like The Varisty!!!!

Hot Brown at the Dwarf House!

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
joseph <joseph...@resnet.gatech.edu> writes:

You have to order a Hot Brown.

And you have to walk out through the dwarf door.

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
"Daryl D. Spillmann" <d-spi...@tamu.edu> writes:

> Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.

Especially since they only dispense big bills. It might be acceptable
if they dispensed singles.

- Ted

Mark Hasty

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

a...@math.ams.org wrote:

> In article <78oimn$omc$1...@camel25.mindspring.com>,
> <an...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78nf3p$6bg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> > >

> > >Thanks for all of the Atlanta tips. In addition to all of the excellent
> > >ideas that y'all put forth, I've found some places I'm considering visiting
> > >that I found surfing the web:
> > >

> > >Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Warehouse

> > >Some of the waterfalls up north of Atlanta

> > ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Hey to Amicalola (sp?) Falls. The tallest (?) in (?).
> >

> > >Is there any local beer I should check out?
> >

> > Bud, Pabst, Red, White, AND Blue.
> >
> > They have all the good ones.
>
> Oh, gag. I was talking about microbreweries, where they brew beer with actual
> flavour. You know, like Hasty is attempting to do.

And failing miserably, I might add. I'm in beer hell. The best I can
find locally is Red Dog.

Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <36B09488...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann" <d-spi...@tamu.edu>:

>Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.

No credit cards, I take it?

Jammer Jim Roberts-Miller

--
Texas A&M University '89, '91
"Is there in truth no beauty?"

Jeff Rogers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:42:44 -0600, Mark Hasty <ho...@sentco.net>
wrote:

>a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>>
>> In article <78oimn$omc$1...@camel25.mindspring.com>,
>> <an...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> > ^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > Hey to Amicalola (sp?) Falls. The tallest (?) in (?).

>> > Bud, Pabst, Red, White, AND Blue.
>> >
>> > They have all the good ones.
>>
>> Oh, gag. I was talking about microbreweries, where they brew beer with actual
>> flavour. You know, like Hasty is attempting to do.
>
>And failing miserably, I might add. I'm in beer hell. The best I can
>find locally is Red Dog.

I kinda like Rock Bottom Brewery on Peachtree Rd. in Buckhead...
it's just south of the Ponce De Leon intersection.

joseph

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:

: You have to order a Hot Brown.

eat it the first time without silverware.

: And you have to walk out through the dwarf door.

but of course.

-joseph

Daryl D. Spillmann

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller wrote:

> In article <36B09488...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann" <d-spi...@tamu.edu>:
> >
> >Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.
>
> No credit cards, I take it?

The last few places I went wouldn't let me put table dances on the card.

Daryl D. Spillmann

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Ted Rathkopf wrote:

> "Daryl D. Spillmann" <d-spi...@tamu.edu> writes:
>

> > Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.
>

> Especially since they only dispense big bills. It might be acceptable
> if they dispensed singles.

I was in The Show Palace in Austin one time. I gave the waitress a $20
and asked for change.

She came back with 2-$5's and 5-$2's.

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <78peir$ol0$1...@camel0.mindspring.com>, "David Barnes"
<barn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Is there any local beer I should check out?
> >

> In bottles, get some Red Brick Ale and Laughing Skull, both made locally.

Ugh...dunno about Laughing Skull, but Red Brick needs to stay a part of
the sidewalk. Unfortunately, that's about the only brewery in Atlanta,
though I'm sure there are a million brewpubs. If you want selection, go
to the Taco Mac in Sandy Springs, where there are some 150 different ones
on *tap*.

Trev

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <78p7in$354$1...@remarQ.com>, rob...@news.natinst.com
(Robert.Gretta) wrote:

> Places not to go...
> 1) Athens

What's wrong with Athens (besides UGA)?

I'm heading up to the big city tomorrow myself, to check out the
Blueground Undergrass CD Release Party at Variety Playhouse (with Donna
the Buffalo). Those guys are amazing...somewhere (hard to tell where)
between the Clinch Mountain Boys and The Aquarium Rescue Unit.
Psychedelic. Hick-Hop. Space-age bluegrass. Want to be blown away,
check it out. I'll be up front.

Then I'll probably head to Clemson Saturday for a REAL night on the town...

Trev

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <78np5p$d7o$1...@demon.uunet.ca>, "Jefferson N. Glapski"
<j...@GOPHILSican.net> wrote:

> >Michigan. They just happen to live near Atlanta.
>
> Travel from Marietta to Savannah, and you can travel the RUTSing route
> that Sherman took.

f u

Anyone ever see the movie Sherman's March by Ross McElwee? Starts out as
a documentary about the march, he runs out of money, and the rest of it is
about his interaction with various women as he continues following that
bastud She*man's march from savannah up through South Carolina. There's a
scene that was shot in my front yard...the the monument to Sumter, SC
Women's Confederate Dead. Actually, it's across the street, but I don't
have a yard, either. :-)

Trev

Jeff Rogers

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:59:00 -0600, "Daryl D. Spillmann"
<d-spi...@tamu.edu> wrote:

>Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller wrote:
>
>> In article <36B09488...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann" <d-spi...@tamu.edu>:
>> >

>> >Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.
>>

>> No credit cards, I take it?
>>

>The last few places I went wouldn't let me put table dances on the card.

You've gotta quit trying to use that library card.

"I'm not afraid of retaliation from other countries. I'm
sure we'll all be saved by the Emergency Broadcast System."
- Jon Stewart

Metaphacts

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
tr...@sc.edu (Trevor Zion Bauknight) wrote:

>What's wrong with Athens (besides UGA)?

Once you know uga is there, why wood yu be dumn enuf to go amywhere neer?

That was UGA-V with Ned Beatty in Deliverece you idot. Damb dog said Ned looked
like he wanted it ($1 to somebody).

Are yu fukn stuped or sumthing? Just what kind of shorts do you wear?

BP

Jefferson Glapski

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
joseph wrote in message <78o89t$4l9$4...@news-int.gatech.edu>...
>Jeff Rogers <jwro...@mindspring.com> was rumored to have said:
>: During the day, you might want to take the CNN Studio tour at CNN
>: Center.

I went to Atlanta after the bombing in Centennial Park. I wanted to just
stop at the CNN studios, rather than spend some more time in the airport. So
I momentarily stop while driving around the CNN studios, pretty close to
ground zero. What a fkn conniption fit!! I had 1,324 cops pointing .357s at
my head ordering me to move. I was hoping to get arrested, and then sue for
damages a'la Mr. Security Guard. Be careful how youse park their.

Jefferson Glapski

jimw...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
In article <36B071...@NOSPAM.business.gatech.edu>,
lets see I'll have a
Childog, Onion rings,
Fried Apple Pie, Large Rootbeer..
Please..
OH! could you bring out some Tabasco for the Chili
thanks..

Jim Weeks
email to: weeksATaustinDOTapcDOTslbDOTcom

Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
In article <36B0EBB4...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann"
<d-spi...@tamu.edu>:
>Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller wrote:
>
>> In article <36B09488...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann"
> <d-spi...@tamu.edu>:
>> >
>> >Placing an ATM in a strip club is th most evil thing ever done.
>>
>> No credit cards, I take it?
>
>The last few places I went wouldn't let me put table dances on the card.

You need to go to some classier joints. I used to know some, but the
laws have changed in Houston.

Daryl D. Spillmann

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller wrote:

> In article <36B0EBB4...@tamu.edu>, thus spake "Daryl D. Spillmann"
> <d-spi...@tamu.edu>:
> >Jimmy A. Roberts-Miller wrote:

> >> No credit cards, I take it?
> >
> >The last few places I went wouldn't let me put table dances on the card.
>
> You need to go to some classier joints. I used to know some, but the
> laws have changed in Houston.

Actually, the last place I tried it was at The Colorado in about 1994.
I haven't tried it since. For me those places are like casinos. I take
a predetermnined amount of money in. When I'm out of money, I stop.

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
joseph <joseph...@resnet.gatech.edu> wrote:

>Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> was rumored to have said:
>
>: Super burrito at Tortillas.

>err... to much beans. not a big fan of it. their chips are great and so
>is their salsa.

>how about gumbo-a-go-go?
>
>: I used to live across the street from Juniors (Smith 420) before it
>: got torn down to build the GSU dorms. Good breakfast. And lunch.
>
>their french toast is unbelievable.
>
>: I only had to call the cops from my dorm room to report a crime twice
>: all year. One night some kids broke the window at Juniors and one
>: time some guy was getting mugged right under the street light by
>: Juniors. Nothing like living a block away from the housing projects.
>
>they are gone now. now they have some centennial complex thing or
>something like that. pretty nice. brand new.
Junior's is now located on the Tech campus. funny thing that, he
dropped out or was kicked out and made a virtual fortune selling food
to hungry college students. ate there most every day when i was
there. some great food, and he was such a thing at tech, that they
let him move his establishment on campus. kinda crowded during the
day though.

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
e...@beta.ee.ufl.edu (Ed Cometz) wrote:

>:>joseph <joseph...@resnet.gsgxcvatech.edu> writes:
>:>>
>:>> : Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.
>

>Kickassedness of Benny's and Fatt Matt's acknowledged.
>Williamson Brothers is pretty good, too.

Yeah, they cut the meat right off the fire and serve it up just right.
Try the all you can eat pork.

>:>> jerk chicken at eats.
>:>
>:>Super burrito at Tortillas.
>

>Taco Cabana (two blocks away from Fatt Matt's)
>
>Frijolero's was awesome.... but its closed now. Sniff.
>

>:>> breakfast at juniors.
>
>Original Pancake House.

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
"DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:

>Daryl D. Spillmann wrote in message <36ADDC26...@tamu.edu>...

>>a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>>
>>> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville
>the
>>> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
>out
>>> in the greater Atlanta area?
>>>

>>One word: Cheetah
>

>Gold Club rutses Cheetah.

Bait. Gold club is way too expensive, and women at cheetah look just
as good. also try tattletails out on 85. fine chicks.

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Ted Rathkopf <rath...@notnow.com> wrote:

>weagl...@worldnet.att.net (J. Rogers) writes:
>
>> Pink Pony>>>>>Gold Club>>>>>Cheetah
>
>Where do you fit Diamond Club in this list?

I went to the diamond club one time. they had a bunch of shitty beers
and the ladies prices was too high. i left and went to cheetah and
have decided that
cheetah > gold club>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>diamond club.

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
"Jefferson Glapski" <j...@GOPHILSican.net> wrote:

>Jeff Rogers wrote in message <36ae057f...@news.mindspring.com>...
>>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:16:00 -0500, "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net>
>>wrote:
>>>Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer)
>>
>>It's PLENTY warm for Stone Mountain in late March...
>

>Yup, especially if:
>
>1. You're from Meatchicken
>2. You climb up the damn thing.
>
>If you can, get to Savannah on St. Patty's day.
>
>Jefferson Glapski

DUDE, i didn't think of that! You bet, that is the place to be in
march, and Savannah RUTS Boston on St. P's day. Well, not really, but
its the second biggest SP Day party town in the states. Visit Kevin
Barry's and swill some guinness!

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
a...@math.ams.org wrote:

>In article <78km3p$b19$0...@dosa.alt.net>,
> "DAVID" <nic...@NOSPAMalt.net> wrote:
>>
>> a...@math.ams.org wrote in message <78kf6e$mfl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> >My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
>> >last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check
>> out
>> >in the greater Atlanta area?
>>

>> Stone Mountain (but only when it gets warmer),
>> Cyclorama (takes about 20 minutes),
>> High Museum (haha),
>> Six Flags (but it's off season),
>> Braves game (also off season),
>> Falcons game (off season),
>> Hawks game (off season),
>> Ga Tech football (off season),
>> 1996 Olympics (off).
>
>What about NASCAR?
Man, I was at the march atlanta race last year and it sucked. it
rained all weekend and a cold front came through. it was too cold for
me to drink my cold beer. hot chocolate was the big seller. but if
you are from michigan, then something like that won't bother you.

>> Atlanta really isn't a place to visit unless you have a reason.
>
>Yeah, we're going down there to visit friends that stoopidly moved away from

>Michigan. They just happen to live near Atlanta.
>

>-Alan Harder
> Go Blue!
> Go Buckeyes!
> Fox Terriers rule!

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
rob...@news.natinst.com (Robert.Gretta) wrote:

>a...@math.ams.org wrote:
>> My family and I are going to be visiting some friends in Lawrenceville the
>> last week of March. What are the can't miss sights that we should check out
>> in the greater Atlanta area?
>

> 1) Visit GaTech and see the real 1990 MNC Trophy (Sears Crystal Football)

Gonna win another with George O'Leary!!!!!

> 2) One word - "Cyclerama"

Pretty neat thing that cyclorama

> 3) Stone Mountain laser show. You can yell "YeeeeHaaa!" with the locals
> when they animate R.E.Lee and the rebel flag during the finale.
> An interesting note is that Stone Mountain is the second most visited
> park in the US next to Walt Disney World.

No dice on that one. Blacks protested it was racist. I had heard
that their case won, but don;t remember. But if it is still
happening, it's a real treat, I highly recommend it.

> 4) Coke Museum... drink free samples of coke from around the world... "mmmm
> Czech coke, pityu!"..."made with real sulfur."

Saw the original coke patent on display there once. Guards were
everywhere.

> 5) The Cheetah III - local hotels give out coupons... if your wife likes
> to, um "Walk on the wild side."

And if she don't think of a good reason to slip off to it for a few
hours anyway.

> 6) Tube the Chattahoochie! But dodge the chunks.

Shoot the hooch!

> 7) mmmmm ... The Cheesecake Factory

Great place, but not unique. Saw one somewhere else once.

> 8) Grab some Kreullers at the local Krispy Kream.

And a good cup of coffee.....

> 9) Visit the "Big Chicken" at the KFC in north Atlanta... designed by
> a Tech grad.

Asking directions in marietta will get results starting you off at the
big chicken.

> 10) Can you say "CNN tour" or "Cartoon Network tour"?

Dont waste your time, go to dave and busters.
> there's really nothing else worth seeing.
how about all the chicks in buckhead on fri/sat nights?

> Places not to go...
> 1) Athens

Dastardly bulldogs......
> 2) High Museum of Art
> 3) Atlanta Botanical Gardens
> 4) Anywhere around "Turner Stadium"
> 5) Gwinnett Place Mall

James O'Quinn

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
weagl...@worldnet.att.net (J. Rogers) wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:32:57 GMT, a...@math.ams.org was strip-searched
>in Eclectic, AL for saying:

>>Is there any local beer I should check out?
>>

>The Phoenix Brewing Company, immediately south of I-285 on Roswell
>Road (in The Prado), has some awesome brews. If they have a batch made
>up try some of their San Francisco Sledgehammer (ODL!!). They also
>have a good Oatmeal Stout...
>
>John Rogers
>AU Class of 1985
>tige...@yahoo.com
I second that, phoenix is a nice brewpub, but hard to find. its
scrunched way back in a strip mall like place. i also remember there
is a brewpub steakhouse with a texan theme on highway 92 between
woodstock and alpharetta. its not texas cattle company. thats a nice
brewpub as well. also try the beergarten and john harvards (a chain).

joseph

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
James O'Quinn <joq...@mindspring.com> was rumored to have said:
: Junior's is now located on the Tech campus. funny thing that, he

: dropped out or was kicked out and made a virtual fortune selling food
: to hungry college students. ate there most every day when i was
: there. some great food, and he was such a thing at tech, that they
: let him move his establishment on campus. kinda crowded during the
: day though.

yeah. the 11am - 12 pm lunch hour is the worse. the line sometimes spill
over to outside the place.

-joseph [btw this he that you talk off is tommy (no not the pinball
wizard)]

Robert.Gretta

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Trevor Zion Bauknight (tr...@sc.edu) wrote:
> In article <78p7in$354$1...@remarQ.com>, rob...@news.natinst.com
> (Robert.Gretta) wrote:

> > Places not to go...
> > 1) Athens

> What's wrong with Athens (besides UGA)?

If you go, keep your windows rolled up, or they'll try to throw a
degree in your car, when you drive through.

Ted Rathkopf

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
joq...@mindspring.com (James O'Quinn) writes:

> Junior's is now located on the Tech campus. funny thing that, he
> dropped out or was kicked out and made a virtual fortune selling food
> to hungry college students. ate there most every day when i was
> there. some great food, and he was such a thing at tech, that they
> let him move his establishment on campus. kinda crowded during the
> day though.

I know. They did that the last year I was there. (I got out with my
Masters in December 94).

- Ted

Jeff Rogers

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:16:58 GMT, joq...@mindspring.com (James
O'Quinn) wrote:

>e...@beta.ee.ufl.edu (Ed Cometz) wrote:
>
>>:>joseph <joseph...@resnet.gsgxcvatech.edu> writes:
>>:>>
>>:>> : Or at Benny's. Or ribs at Fat Matt's.
>>

>>Kickassedness of Benny's and Fatt Matt's acknowledged.
>>Williamson Brothers is pretty good, too.
>
>Yeah, they cut the meat right off the fire and serve it up just right.
>Try the all you can eat pork.

Kickassedness of Fat Matt's is acknowledged, at least... I've been
there and it's good food and live music, too...

It is loading more messages.