Delino DeShields Jr

1 view

Eric Ramon

Jun 7, 2010, 8:21:42 PM6/7/10
man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
the MLB draft.

Antonio Veranos

Jun 7, 2010, 8:29:40 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon wrote...

> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

Egads.

I could have done without reading this.

--
A. Veranos

What color does a smurf go when you choke it?

J.C. Watts Enslin

Jun 7, 2010, 9:14:43 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 7:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

The "old man" is two months younger than I am.

<sigh>

Jon

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jun 7, 2010, 9:27:23 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 8:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

I was thinking, "jr? i don't remember him being called jr"

a.

Tonawanda Kardex

Jun 8, 2010, 12:15:59 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 5:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

Did you steal this from my FB status message today?

JGibson

Jun 8, 2010, 7:15:02 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 8:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

Not being a baseball fan, I think is similar to the reaction I had
when I realized that Glen Rice, Jr. was in the NCAA tournament.

Goro

Jun 8, 2010, 10:29:53 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 5:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> the MLB draft.

as an old time Expos fan, TMML.

The most memorable thing about Delino Sr was that the Expos traded him
to the Dodgers for a skinny starting pitcher... Pedro Martinez.

-goro-

Thomas R. Kettler

Jun 8, 2010, 11:58:03 AM6/8/10
In article
<6b374de3-74a7-42ae...@n20g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Goro <eviln...@gmail.com> wrote:

Don't forget that Montreal traded Delino Deshields only due to 2 reasons:

1) The Boston Red Sox vetoed a trade of Marquis Grissom for Aaron Sele.

2) Jody Reed refused to accept a three-year contract with the Dodgers
for roughly $6-7 million. When the Dodgers traded for DeShields, that
left Reed without a place to play and he had to sign a one-year deal for
something like $250,000 to $500,000.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Goro

Jun 8, 2010, 3:38:00 PM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 8:58 am, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net> wrote:
> In article
> <6b374de3-74a7-42ae-b8e8-100cd5b04...@n20g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

>  Goro <evilnin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 5:21 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > man, do I feel old. Young DeShields just selected with the #8 pick in
> > > the MLB draft.
>
> > as an old time Expos fan, TMML.
>
> > The most memorable thing about Delino Sr was that the Expos traded him
> > to the Dodgers for a skinny starting pitcher... Pedro Martinez.
>
> Don't forget that Montreal traded Delino Deshields only due to 2 reasons:
>
> 1) The Boston Red Sox vetoed a trade of Marquis Grissom for Aaron Sele.
>
> 2) Jody Reed refused to accept a three-year contract with the Dodgers
> for roughly $6-7 million. When the Dodgers traded for DeShields, that
> left Reed without a place to play and he had to sign a one-year deal for
> something like $250,000 to $500,000.

Your recollection of things baseball exceeds mine, sir. well done!

-goro-

Thomas R. Kettler

Jun 8, 2010, 6:38:57 PM6/8/10
In article
<330b4a41-7145-484e...@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
Goro <eviln...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm an Expos-Nationals fan also.

In fairness, I was less than thrilled when the Expos traded DeShields
since he was a valuable leadoff hitter, but Pedro demonstrated how
stupid I was.

BTW, Pedro is the only rightie other than Walter Johnson and was the
first pitcher in 25 years since Steve Carlton's 1972 season to have more
than 300 K's and less than a 2.00 ERA with his 1997 season with the
Expos.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Martínez>

Goro

Jun 8, 2010, 7:33:07 PM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 3:38 pm, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net> wrote:
> In article
> <330b4a41-7145-484e-a29c-44cc231c3...@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,

Wow, kindred spirit! I was also very much an Expos fan from back in
the 80s, recalling Charlie Lea, Tim Wallach, Gary Carter, Andre
Dawson, and Tim Raines and still shudder at Blue Monday and shake my
head at 1994.

I just gave up on MLB in 1994 when, imo, they declared war on the
fans. Any organization that treats their clients with such patent
disregard has forever forfeited any money from me!

Now if only the Expos could have kept that team together or if 1994
could have gone to completion. Would have been special. Or even if
(perhaps) they didn't let the entire minor league scouting crew go to
Florida with Dombrowski (and see what he built there).

*sigh*

oh well...

-goro-

Goro

Jun 8, 2010, 7:35:21 PM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 3:38 pm, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net> wrote:
> In article
> <330b4a41-7145-484e-a29c-44cc231c3...@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,

>  Goro <evilnin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 8, 8:58 am, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <6b374de3-74a7-42ae-b8e8-100cd5b04...@n20g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Don't forget that Montreal traded Delino Deshields only due to 2 reasons:
>
> > > 1) The Boston Red Sox vetoed a trade of Marquis Grissom for Aaron Sele.
>
> > > 2) Jody Reed refused to accept a three-year contract with the Dodgers
> > > for roughly $6-7 million. When the Dodgers traded for DeShields, that
> > > left Reed without a place to play and he had to sign a one-year deal for
> > > something like $250,000 to $500,000.
>
> > Your recollection of things baseball exceeds mine, sir.  well done!
>
> I'm an Expos-Nationals fan also.
>
> In fairness, I was less than thrilled when the Expos traded DeShields
> since he was a valuable leadoff hitter, but Pedro demonstrated how
> stupid I was.

btw, I was actually not that upset to get rid of Delino; I liked him
ok, but i never REALLY liked him as a leadoff hitter and alwasy
thought he was overrated. He hit for good average but OBP was never
that great. Good/solid baserunner but not really a great base
stealing threat. IIRC, he struck out alot too. I wasn't sad to see
him go and as an Albuquerque native, i'd heard great things about
Pedro and was looking forward to seeing if he could alst a season..
wow and then some!

-goro-

JGibson

Jun 8, 2010, 7:47:33 PM6/8/10

As an ABQ native were you there when the Dukes had Ramon Martinez,
Pedro Martinez, Pedro Astacio, and John Wetteland in their rotation?

Goro

Jun 8, 2010, 7:55:20 PM6/8/10

I remembered Ramon, Pedro and Pedro coming thru, but didn't realize
they were there all together. Didn't even realize Wetteland was with
the Dukes!

-goro-

JGibson

Jun 8, 2010, 8:01:25 PM6/8/10

They might not have been all together. Might be mashing together a
few years in my brain. I tried to look it up, but am not having luck.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jun 8, 2010, 9:01:44 PM6/8/10
In article
<c407939d-8909-4bec...@k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Goro <eviln...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Mart�nez>

> Wow, kindred spirit! I was also very much an Expos fan from back in
> the 80s, recalling Charlie Lea, Tim Wallach, Gary Carter, Andre
> Dawson, and Tim Raines and still shudder at Blue Monday and shake my
> head at 1994.
>
> I just gave up on MLB in 1994 when, imo, they declared war on the
> fans. Any organization that treats their clients with such patent
> disregard has forever forfeited any money from me!
>
> Now if only the Expos could have kept that team together or if 1994
> could have gone to completion. Would have been special. Or even if
> (perhaps) they didn't let the entire minor league scouting crew go to
> Florida with Dombrowski (and see what he built there).
>
> *sigh*
>
> oh well...

I was quite involved with the Expos email list during that time.

Also, you might be interested to see my comment about determining how
many pennants the Expos could have gotten if they hadn't let Larry
Walker, Ken Hill, John Wetteland and Marquis Grissom go after the 1994
season on the following (it's near the bottom):

<http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-virtual-1962-69-cincinnati
-reds-part-2/>