Bevo

Vijay Tanwar

Oct 12, 1994, 1:27:14 AM10/12/94
In article <37fmpg$d...@hermes.unt.edu> you wrote:
: I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

This is the story I heard:

Way back in the early part of this century, Texas-Texas A&M was already a
big rivalry. One night, some Aggies snuck into our mascot's stall and
branded him with the score of a recent TX - A&M game: 13 - 0.

In a moment of creative inspiration, the Longhorns figured out a way to
fix the act of vandalism. They changed the 13 to a B the - to an E and
snuck a V before the O. This was the name of a popular near-beer, and
the name BEVO stuck.

Hook 'Em Horns!

Vijay Tanwar, UT alum.

Ed Threet

Oct 12, 1994, 8:44:45 AM10/12/94
In article <37fmpg$d...@hermes.unt.edu>, cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris
Bellomy) wrote:

> I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...
>

> --
> Chris Bellomy University of North Texas
Named after his father, some old, senile football analyst on ESPN.
--
"Work is for people who don't hunt, fish, or play golf." - Lee Hines

Kyle Maxwell

Oct 12, 1994, 6:46:22 PM10/12/94
Vijay Tanwar (vsta...@metronet.com) wrote:

This story is absolutely correct. The only thing I would add is that I'm
surprised that an Aggie asked that question; I've had to endure no end of
teasing from Aggie friends about how their school named mine's mascot...

Kyle Maxwell
kmax...@gtetel.com

"Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is
fearless cannot be courageous. (He is also a fool.)"
-- Robert A. Heinlein

GTE doesn't tell people what I think and vice-versa

David L. Crow

Oct 12, 1994, 12:22:09 PM10/12/94
cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris Bellomy) writes:
>I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

After a local beer. :-)
--
--------------- Friends don't let friends go to aTm. -----------------
David L. Crow cr...@tivoli.com 512/502-4762

Chris Bellomy

Oct 12, 1994, 7:18:40 PM10/12/94
Kyle Maxwell (kmax...@gtetel.com) wrote:

: The only thing I would add is that I'm

: surprised that an Aggie asked that question; I've had to endure no end of
: teasing from Aggie friends about how their school named mine's mascot...

I'm sorry, I must have missed the answer. Could somebody please
repost it for me? I'll be sure to catch it next time!

--
Chris Bellomy University of North Texas

cbel...@hsc.unt.edu Health Science Center at Fort Worth

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

Chris Bellomy

Oct 11, 1994, 11:56:32 PM10/11/94
I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

Glenn Dirtbag Tanner

Oct 12, 1994, 12:53:27 AM10/12/94
cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris Bellomy) writes:

>I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

I think they named him after that band that sang "Whip It".

GT

Jay Allen

Oct 12, 1994, 11:52:48 PM10/12/94
Chris Bellomy wrote:
: I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

Isn't that *Devo*?

!#!A%*#@@*%g&#@(#%!*&g@#))%&)#i%%!*@@e@#(&%s@)#!%*&#s*)@#u&@#)c!%@!k)#%!&@*)#*
--Jay Allen Tulane Medical School--
#*@H%#)%%o#@)&@*o)#@!#k&*@#*@e&*#@m&!&*@#@&%H*)@#o&%)*r!@#!n&%*@#s%)&%@%#(#%&^

--- There are two kinds of solar-heat systems: "passive" systems collect
--- the sunlight that hits your home, and "active" systems collect the
--- sunlight that hits your neighbors' homes, too.
--- -- Dave Barry, "Postpetroleum Guzzler"

Jeffrey L Nauss

Oct 13, 1994, 10:12:33 AM10/13/94
In article <37fmpg$d...@hermes.unt.edu> cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris Bellomy) writes:
>I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

Isn't it some cowboy expression or something?

--
Jeff Nauss Texas A&M Class of '77
Department of Chemistry Gig 'em, Aggies!

Mike

Oct 13, 1994, 10:47:16 AM10/13/94
In article <37hqsg$6...@hermes.unt.edu> cbellomy@dale2 (Chris Bellomy) writes:
> Kyle Maxwell (kmax...@gtetel.com) wrote:
>
> : The only thing I would add is that I'm
> : surprised that an Aggie asked that question; I've had to endure no end of
> : teasing from Aggie friends about how their school named mine's mascot...
>
> I'm sorry, I must have missed the answer. Could somebody please
> repost it for me? I'll be sure to catch it next time!

Please tell me that this is not going to work a second time. Not this far into
the seaon. Chris, this isn't even fishing when the fish jump up onto shore and
just wait to be collected. Pretty scary stuff.

--
Mike Coy
Electron Microscopy Center

Paul=Broyles%P...@bangate.compaq.com

Oct 13, 1994, 11:53:02 AM10/13/94

>I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...

Seems like we had beat you guys 13 years straight, and
celebrated by branding the series record on our Longhorn.
Good thing we didn't chose to brand your dog. The balance
of the universe would surely have been upset given a Collie
named Bevo.

Paul=Broyles%P...@bangate.compaq.com

Oct 13, 1994, 12:30:58 PM10/13/94

>Vijay Tanwar (vsta...@metronet.com) wrote:
>: In article <37fmpg$d...@hermes.unt.edu> you wrote:
>: : I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...
>
>: This is the story I heard:
>
>: Way back in the early part of this century, Texas-Texas A&M was already a
>: big rivalry. One night, some Aggies snuck into our mascot's stall and
>: branded him with the score of a recent TX - A&M game: 13 - 0.
>
>: In a moment of creative inspiration, the Longhorns figured out a way to
>: fix the act of vandalism. They changed the 13 to a B the - to an E and
>: snuck a V before the O. This was the name of a popular near-beer, and
>: the name BEVO stuck.
>
>This story is absolutely correct. The only thing I would add is that I'm
>surprised that an Aggie asked that question; I've had to endure no end of
>teasing from Aggie friends about how their school named mine's mascot...

Never ask a question you don't already
know the answer to.;-)

Chris Bellomy

Oct 13, 1994, 10:09:55 PM10/13/94
Jonathan Jones (jej...@tamaix.tamu.edu) wrote:
: Chris Bellomy wrote:

[nice ascii depiction deleted]

: Cannibalistic of you, Chris. Are Aggies in season?

Ah, so, Jonathan-son. What appear to be Aggie fishing may in truth
be cow baiting.

--
Chris "Confucius" Bellomy University of North Texas
cbel...@hsc.unt.edu Health Science Center at Shanghai

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert "Lao Tsu" Einstein

Bellomy Christopher M

Oct 14, 1994, 5:02:56 PM10/14/94
13-0. :-P

* Chris Bellomy *
* cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.edu *
* University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth *
* (or just UNTHSC-FW for short!) *
* Texas Aggies *
* 1996 Waylon & Willie Cold Beer & Chili Conference Football Champions *
* The opinions expressed above have some basis in reality and *
* therefore are in no way endorsed by or connected with UNTHSC-FW. *

Eric T. Moore

Oct 14, 1994, 5:54:28 PM10/14/94
>13-0. :-P

64-31-5 :-PP

| Eric T. Moore | mo...@econ.unt.edu | Univ. of North Texas, Economics |
| I don't speak for you or them or anyone else, only for myself. |
| Texas vs. Oklahoma, 1994: 17-10; 5 of last 6; 52-33-4 All-Time |
| #1 All-time TV appearances; Official Practice Squad, #13 and falling |

Jonathan Jones

Oct 13, 1994, 10:00:50 PM10/13/94
Chris Bellomy wrote:

-> ###
-> ## ##
-> ## ##
-> ####
-> ____________ ##
-> / / ##
-> /| | ## __\
-> / | _____\___ ## / \
-> /| \ / ## / __\
-> / \ / ## \ / \
-> | X \/ ## \ / \
-> | / ## \ __\
-> \/__/ ## \ / \
-> ## \ / \
-> ## ##\ __\
-> ## ##### \ / \____________
-> ## ## \_/ / \
-> ## ### \ | |
-> ####### \___\___________/
-> --
-> Chris Bellomy University of North Texas
-> cbel...@hsc.unt.edu Health Science Center at Fort Worth
->
-> "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
-> certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-> -- Albert Einstein

Cannibalistic of you, Chris. Are Aggies in season?

Jon '97
________________ _______ ____ ____ ____ ____
________________ _________ _____ _____ ____ ____
____ ____ ____ ______ ______ ____ ____
____ _____________ _______ _______ ____ ____
____ _______________ ________________ ____ ____
____ ____ ____ ____ ______ ____ ________________
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____________

Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas

"Whether they ever find life there or not, I think Jupiter should be
considered an enemy planet."

Jonathan Jones

Oct 13, 1994, 10:19:51 PM10/13/94
Chris Bellomy wrote:

[...]

:::::: ::::::
:::::: ::::::
:::::::::::

::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::

Jon '97
________________ _______ ____ ____ ____ ____
________________ _________ _____ _____ ____ ____
____ ____ ____ ______ ______ ____ ____
____ _____________ _______ _______ ____ ____
____ _______________ ________________ ____ ____
____ ____ ____ ____ ______ ____ ________________
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____________

Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas

"I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just
walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Kevin Rodgers

Oct 13, 1994, 8:02:35 PM10/13/94
It's what's for dinner.
--
Kevin Rodgers <kevin....@ihs.com> Project Engineer
Information Handling Services Electronic Systems Development

Kenneth Kendrick

Oct 15, 1994, 4:40:56 PM10/15/94
cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris Bellomy) writes:

Time for the semi-annual post on this huh? :)

I believe it came from a year when Texas beat ou 13-0 ......

Ken (I could be wrong on this...) Kendrick
Hook 'em Horns!!!

Jay Allen

Oct 15, 1994, 4:53:53 PM10/15/94
Kenneth Kendrick wrote:

: I believe it came from a year when Texas beat ou 13-0 ......

: Ken (I could be wrong on this...) Kendrick
: Hook 'em Horns!!!

You are wrong Ken! It was the year Texas beat Texas A&M 13-0.

- Jay "And I ain't wrong! ;)" Allen

--- If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger,
--- screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man,
--- I guess I'm a coward.

Jeffrey L Nauss

Oct 14, 1994, 10:25:52 AM10/14/94
In article <CxJoH...@metronet.com> vsta...@metronet.com (Vijay Tanwar) writes:
>In article <37fmpg$d...@hermes.unt.edu> you wrote:
>: I was just wondering how Bevo got his, er, its name...
>
>This is the story I heard:...

>Hook 'Em Horns!
>
>Vijay Tanwar, UT alum.

Good catch, Chris!

Good bait is always good bait, eh?

Eric T. Moore

Oct 14, 1994, 12:55:21 PM10/14/94
cbel...@dale.hsc.unt.EDU (Chris Bellomy) writes:

>I was just wondering how Bevo got his name...

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been meaning to clear this up for some
time now, but never quite got around to it. So, for all you practice
squaders out there (and unfortunately a few Orangebloods who accepted an
inaccurate version of events), here it is...

***Reprinted without permission***

In _UT_Austin:_Traditions_and_Nostalgia_, by Margaret Catherine Berry
(Eakin Press: Austin, Texas), 1992.

BEVO

"...in the scientific history of its development, the Longhorn
comes to connote courage, fighting ability, nerve, lust of
combat, efficiency in deadly encounters, and the holy spirit
of never-say-die."
_The_Alcalde_, March 1920

Brought to the New World by the Spaniards in their early settlement
of the Southwest, the Longhorn breed gradually evolved. The animals
developed long horns to fend off enemies. Those with the longest horns
survived. As the breed was becoming extinct by the early part of the
twentieth century, private groups and state agencies began efforts to
preserve the Longhorns.
Varsity teams have been referred to as Longhorns since 1904, but if
anyone had considered acquiring a live Longhorn steer as a University mascot
before Thanksgiving of 1916, plans did not materialize.

Bevo I:
Sidney Pinckney (1911) spearheaded a movement to provide a live
mascot for the University of Texas (at Austin). He collected $1 each from
124 alumni and purchased a Longhorn steer that was located "somewhere in the
Texas Panhandle." The steer was shipped to Austin, without food or water,
in a boxcar. By the time he arrived, he was aptly described by a _Texan_
reporter as "the most recalcitrant freshman ever bulldozed into higher
education." He had horns measuring seven or eight feet from tip to tip.
On Thanksgiving Day of 1916, the frightened steer was dragged onto
old Clark Field by two lusty cowboys and was formally presented to the
students in a short speech (audible only to the student section) by T.B.
Buffington of the class of 1892:

I have been requested to present to The University of Texas a
mascot of protecting spirit that now and in future years will
bring good luck to the institution and its teaching. Behold
him! The Longhorn of Texas, emblematic as he stands of the
fighting spirit of progress as well as of the more modest angel
of use. He conquered the wide prairies and the forests...In
spite of tick and vile mosquito, he made a restful bed among the
soft mosses and nodding flowers. He fought with the sullen fevers
of southern climes and breasted with stern patience the wild
blizzards of the North. Yet, withal, he fed the hungry millions,
and many a dainty foot with him has walked in beauty and in
safety down the roughened road of life.
As the great Longhorn was free to roam the wilderness of
Texas, so must the University be free to roam the world of thought,
unhampered and unafraid.
Upon the present occasion this old Longhorn, luck-giver,
is doubly welcome in our midst. The times are propitious. Let
him do his work and give victory to eleven smaller, but as valiant
and aggressive, Longhorns who battle this day for the glory of our
halls...
In order that he may make no mistake, I will speak to him
in his own language: [ha, Goob stole this as well]

Now old cow, we have put you where
You can do some good with your horns and hair.
Take off that dignity, rub off that frown:
Put on a sweater, not a cap and gown.

Get in the game as a mascot should
And show these bullies that you can make good.
And after the game with a victory won,
We will toot 'em up, you old son of a gun!

Beloved University, I present to you this Longhorn
steer.

The new mascot was named "Bevo," which just happened to be the name
of a popular near-beer, product of the Budweiser Company during this period
of prohibition. His name was mentioned in the December 1916 _Alcalde_.
[This will become important later on.]

The score of that Thanksgiving Day game was 21-7 in favor of Texas
over Texas A&M. This score was sweet revenge for the 13-0 defeat by A&M in
1915, the first time the two teams had played since 1911 because of a
postgame brawl.
In celebration of the 1916 victory, a _Texan_ reporter announced
that a large "T" and the "21-7" score would be branded on the side of the
new mascot. Under student protests of cruelty, the branding was not
performed. But the idea apparently provided inspiration for spiteful Aggies.
The steer had an enormous appetite, and feeding him became a
problem. By February 1917, he had been moved, by action of the Students'
Assembly, from a ranch several miles out of town to some southside
stockyards where he could be fed for sixty cents a day. The Athletic
Council disclaimed him, saying he was presented to the entire student body.
On Sunday morning, February 11, as J.W. Searight, owner of the South
Austin stockyards, made his rounds, he found that the mascot had been
branded with eight-inch numbers, "13-0," score of the A&M dominated game of
1915. A new story of the treacherous event was on the back page of the next
issue of _The_Daily_Texan_, but the editor wrote in his column:

...Regardless of who branded the Longhorn steer "13-0," it is done.
We might confess that the joke is on us, and the only way to main-
tain our record for clean sportmanship is to wait for the time to
even things up down at College Station next season. We hope that
the steer recovers from the eight-inch imprint, reminding us of
that uneventful Friday, and only wish that much of our talk of
public branding had been put into actual practice.
Since the animal costs the student body of the University
$10 per month to feed, and since he no longer resembles the specimen
of which we could justly be proud, why should not the Assembly order
him shipped c.o.d. to College Station, with a price of 21 plus 7 or
$28 attached? This seems the only logical procedure, unless we
butcher the brute.

Not about to confess the joke, a group of UT students conceived a
scheme to save face. They altered the numerals "13-0" to read "BEVO" by
simply changing the "13" to a "B," the "-" to "E," and inserting "V" before
"O."
In March of that year, Bevo was grazing free of charge on a 20,000-
acre ranch located sixteen miles from Austin. He was guarded by policemen
when rumors prevailed that the Aggies planned to capture him.
Bevo remained on grazing land until he was brought into Austin in
1920 for his final appearance. On January 20, he was served as barbecue to
over one hundred guests, principally T-men and coeds who had won letters in
women's athletics. Steve Pinckney was present, and a delegation from A&M was
on hand to receive the half of Bevo's hide that had been branded. His head
and horns were mounted and hung in the UT athletic office.

[end of article]

An alternate account has it that the steer was going to be branded with the
1916 score, 21-7, and displayed at the 1917 game, but the Aggies broke-in a
week before the game and branded it with the 1915 score. The first account
has more credibility.

Regardless, all accounts have the branding occurring sometime in 1917, but
the steer was known as "Bevo" already in 1916 (with references to his name
appearing in print). So at best, the practice squaders get a point for
"inspiring" an official "christening" of the mascot as Bevo. But since the
idea to brand the steer originated within the UT student body, and the
Farmers are in fact OPSUT, the point still accrues to the 'Horns.

Chris, that was a slow fat one across the middle of the plate. It sure is a
pleasure doing business with you (and, of course, all the other OPSUT'ers).

;-)

(Hey Bradley, how 'bout a recount on the points?)

Bradley Dale Glover

Oct 14, 1994, 7:48:46 PM10/14/94
>>13-0. :-P

>64-31-5 :-PP

November 5, 1994 :-PPP

TEXAS PROUD

Brad "now I've done it" Glover
University of Texas '95

Jeffrey L Nauss

Oct 17, 1994, 7:07:08 PM10/17/94
In article <37n5cu$2...@priddy.cs.utexas.edu> brad...@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley Dale Glover) writes:
>>>13-0. :-P
>
>>64-31-5 :-PP
>
>November 5, 1994 :-PPP

October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

>TEXAS PROUD

Why? Still?

>Brad "now I've done it" Glover
>University of Texas '95

Done what?

cjohn mace

Oct 19, 1994, 5:42:18 PM10/19/94
In article <383m0p$c...@priddy.cs.utexas.edu>,
Bradley Dale Glover <brad...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

>>-> >>13-0. :-P

>>-> >64-31-5 :-PP

>>-> November 5, 1994 :-PPP

>>October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

>Jan 1, 1992; Jan 1, 1993; Jan 1, 1994 :-PPPPP
|----------------------------|

Jan 1, 1991 >>> ---|

:-PPPPPPPPP

>TEXAS PROUD

>Brad "Count'em aggeeez 1-2-3" Glover

cmuck (even in defeat you can manage to get beat by more points that us)

Bradley Dale Glover

Oct 19, 1994, 1:46:01 PM10/19/94

>-> >>13-0. :-P

>-> >64-31-5 :-PP

>-> November 5, 1994 :-PPP

>October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

Jan 1, 1992; Jan 1, 1993; Jan 1, 1994 :-PPPPP

TEXAS PROUD

Brad "Count'em aggeeez 1-2-3" Glover
University of Texas '95

Jonathan Jones

Oct 19, 1994, 12:59:41 PM10/19/94
Bradley Dale Glover <brad...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
-> >>13-0. :-P
-> >64-31-5 :-PP
-> November 5, 1994 :-PPP

October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

Jon '97

Jonathan Jones

Oct 19, 1994, 1:14:06 PM10/19/94
Eric T. Moore wrote:

-> Regardless, all accounts have the branding occurring sometime in 1917,
-> but the steer was known as "Bevo" already in 1916 (with references to
-> his name appearing in print). So at best, the practice squaders get a
-> point for "inspiring" an official "christening" of the mascot as Bevo.
-> But since the idea to brand the steer originated within the UT student
-> body, and the Farmers are in fact OPSUT, the point still accrues to the
-> 'Horns.

Yeah. His nickname may've already been "Bevo", but his official name was
Varsity (a la "Saw Varsity's Horns Off"). At least this is what a t-sip
friend of mine told me.

LIKE THAT'S A @&^#%$&^@# UNBIASED SOURCE!!!!! I WANNA SEE SOME 1916
ARTICLES!!!!

;)

Chris Bellomy

Oct 19, 1994, 7:04:12 PM10/19/94
cjohn mace (cjm...@amoco.com) wrote:
: In article <383m0p$c...@priddy.cs.utexas.edu>,

: Bradley Dale Glover <brad...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

: >>-> >>13-0. :-P

: >>-> >64-31-5 :-PP

: >>-> November 5, 1994 :-PPP

: >>October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

: >Jan 1, 1992; Jan 1, 1993; Jan 1, 1994 :-PPPPP
: |----------------------------|
: |
: |
: Jan 1, 1991 >>> ---|

: :-PPPPPPPPP

: >Brad "Count'em aggeeez 1-2-3" Glover

: cmuck (even in defeat you can manage to get beat by more points that us)

Fellas, I don't want to start a lovefest, but this is getting need-
lessly embarrassing. Let's just leave it at:

November 25, 1993: :-PPPPPPPPP

(That's one P for each point)

Bradley Dale Glover

Oct 19, 1994, 8:03:14 PM10/19/94
cjohn mace <cjm...@amoco.com> wrote:

>Bradley Dale Glover <brad...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

>>>-> >>13-0. :-P

>>>-> >64-31-5 :-PP

>>>-> November 5, 1994 :-PPP

>>>October 16, 1994 :-PPPP

>>Jan 1, 1992; Jan 1, 1993; Jan 1, 1994 :-PPPPP
> |----------------------------|
> |

>Jan 1, 1991 >>> ---|

>:-PPPPPPPPP

Dammit cmuck! You incremented the tongue count by three too many.

TEXAS PROUD

Brad "you party pooper :-P" Glover
University of Texas '95

Raymond L. Rivera

Oct 28, 1994, 10:18:34 PM10/28/94
Seems that I remember this discussion occured earlier this yr.
Bevo - Bovine, or *beeves* (get it?)

Ray Rivera
Tech Writer - AIG