Nothing to Crow About

Dean Lockett

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Well, I thought we had put those days behind us, but yesterday Adelaide
returned to the form and lack of commitment that had typified its seasons of
95 and 96. Sure, we've got injury problems and Sydney got on the roll of its
life and was able to kick goals out of its backside, but only one side had
come to play competitive football yesterday.

The Crows have a list of 42 consisting of, supposedly, players in the top
few hundred footballers in the country. How is it that the gap between two
sides can be that vast, and especially when the one on the losing end is the
reigning premiership side?

Maybe the Swans think they can take a lot out of yesterday's game, but I
wouldn't be too sure. That may well have been the worst game Adelaide have
played since entering the comp. At times, the way we gave up the ball,
fumbled and even hand-passed to the opposition, one could almost have
believed there was only one side out there carrying out training drills.
Players that I thought were quality players seem to be living testament to
the theory that anyone can be made to look good in a winning side (i.e. that
of 97/98), e.g. Mark Stevens (absolutely pitiful display - fumbled, gave up
the ball, almost looked frightened), Trent Ormond-Allen (fell over every
time the ball came near him), Pittman (surprised Blight didn't repeat his
defamatory remarks), Troy Bond (has a shot from 50 metres on the boundary
instead of centring), Andrew Mcleod (a champion, but allowed a goal in the
last quarter because he just couldn't be bothered -seemingly), and there
were many others.

Only one Swan I'd like to mention: Wayne Schwass. The most pathetic
performance I've seen on a football field when he staged a theatrical dive
that even a soccer player would have been ashamed of, when his opponent
Burton moved to take a position in front of him - I doubt there was even
contact made. Schwass' stupidity was only matched by the umpire who reported
Burton. The report will be dropped when the video footage is seen, but in my
opinion Schwass should be reported for bringing the game into disrepute with
such cowardly pathetic antics. No wonder he's touted as a Brownlow favourite
when the umpires show him that sort of protection - I'm surprised he wasn't
offered a hankerchief to wipe away his tears!

Well now I've vented my spleen I feel a lot better. One thing I am glad
about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing we
deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of being
expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!

Cheers,

Dean.

Power Mad

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Dean Lockett provided this scotch tape for a cardboard utopia...

> One thing I am glad
> about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing
we
> deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
> underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of
being
> expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
> consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!

Ahhh! The natural order of South Australian football is restored - the rest
trying to knock Port off their perch...

Adrian

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
And to think, based on that game, Sydney has come in from 30-1 to 15-1 for
the premiership.

Adrian
Go Bombers !!

Dean Lockett <nom...@thanks.com.au> wrote in message

> Well now I've vented my spleen I feel a lot better. One thing I am glad

> about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing
we
> deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
> underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of
being
> expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
> consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dean.

David Johnson

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:34:00 +1000, "Dean Lockett"
<nom...@thanks.com.au> wrote:

>Well, I thought we had put those days behind us, but yesterday Adelaide
>returned to the form and lack of commitment that had typified its seasons of
>95 and 96. Sure, we've got injury problems and Sydney got on the roll of its
>life and was able to kick goals out of its backside, but only one side had
>come to play competitive football yesterday.
>
>The Crows have a list of 42 consisting of, supposedly, players in the top
>few hundred footballers in the country. How is it that the gap between two
>sides can be that vast, and especially when the one on the losing end is the
>reigning premiership side?

Probably a bit hard to take being the reigning premiers and all that
but all teams have those sort of days. The Crows were just having a
shocker.

>Maybe the Swans think they can take a lot out of yesterday's game, but I
>wouldn't be too sure. That may well have been the worst game Adelaide have
>played since entering the comp. At times, the way we gave up the ball,
>fumbled and even hand-passed to the opposition, one could almost have
>believed there was only one side out there carrying out training drills.
>Players that I thought were quality players seem to be living testament to
>the theory that anyone can be made to look good in a winning side (i.e. that
>of 97/98), e.g. Mark Stevens (absolutely pitiful display - fumbled, gave up
>the ball, almost looked frightened), Trent Ormond-Allen (fell over every
>time the ball came near him), Pittman (surprised Blight didn't repeat his
>defamatory remarks), Troy Bond (has a shot from 50 metres on the boundary
>instead of centring), Andrew Mcleod (a champion, but allowed a goal in the
>last quarter because he just couldn't be bothered -seemingly), and there
>were many others.

I think you forgot Jarman. He just didn't seem interested and wasn't
the usual player we've come to know.

Don't worry, as a Sydney supporter (who was at the game) I'm not
jumping to any conclusions about the team's future chances for 1999
and I doubt that most won't "take a lot" out of it apart from the fact
that it was good to see them play four solid quarters of football and
a great way to send off the champ.

>Only one Swan I'd like to mention: Wayne Schwass. The most pathetic
>performance I've seen on a football field when he staged a theatrical dive
>that even a soccer player would have been ashamed of, when his opponent
>Burton moved to take a position in front of him - I doubt there was even
>contact made. Schwass' stupidity was only matched by the umpire who reported
>Burton. The report will be dropped when the video footage is seen, but in my
>opinion Schwass should be reported for bringing the game into disrepute with
>such cowardly pathetic antics. No wonder he's touted as a Brownlow favourite
>when the umpires show him that sort of protection - I'm surprised he wasn't
>offered a hankerchief to wipe away his tears!

Yes Schwass has been known to con a few frees in that manner. His
acting skills are perhaps only matched by those of Dunkley at times.
Interesting that it was the young umpire who fell for it but you don't
really believe that he intended to have Burton reported do you? (On
the spot reports are rare enough these days.) I think he was just
after a free kick.

I can understand your grief at that decision but in terms of the game
and in particular the midfield contests Schwass was very good.

So now you've had a go at Scwhass do you find anything positive at all
to say about Sydney's game. What about the performance of your
namesake.....

That certainly wasn't the Adelaide we all know and I know that it'll
be felt more in Adelaide (with the Port thing etc.) but it was an
aberration and if played again tomorrow would be much closer and in
fact the Crows would probably win.

If I were in the Port Adelaide camp I'd be a bit wary because this
team will be desperate to restore some pride.

>Well now I've vented my spleen I feel a lot better. One thing I am glad
>about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing we
>deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
>underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of being
>expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
>consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!

David Johnson

Marto the Unbelievable

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Dean Lockett wrote:

> Well, I thought we had put those days behind us, but yesterday Adelaide
> returned to the form and lack of commitment that had typified its seasons of
> 95 and 96. Sure, we've got injury problems and Sydney got on the roll of its
> life and was able to kick goals out of its backside, but only one side had
> come to play competitive football yesterday.

Certainly was disappointing, skills were not there as expected but
Ireally expected more work and committment, anyone can do that bit.

> The Crows have a list of 42 consisting of, supposedly, players in the top
> few hundred footballers in the country. How is it that the gap between two
> sides can be that vast, and especially when the one on the losing end is the
> reigning premiership side?

Well you'd better remove the injury list of 13 (14?) from that.

> Maybe the Swans think they can take a lot out of yesterday's game, but I
> wouldn't be too sure. That may well have been the worst game Adelaide have
> played since entering the comp. At times, the way we gave up the ball,
> fumbled and even hand-passed to the opposition, one could almost have
> believed there was only one side out there carrying out training drills.

Agreed

> Players that I thought were quality players seem to be living testament to
> the theory that anyone can be made to look good in a winning side (i.e. that
> of 97/98), e.g. Mark Stevens (absolutely pitiful display - fumbled, gave up
> the ball, almost looked frightened), Trent Ormond-Allen (fell over every
> time the ball came near him), Pittman (surprised Blight didn't repeat his
> defamatory remarks),

In his defence he WAS injuried quite early I heard.

>Troy Bond (has a shot from 50 metres on the boundary
> instead of centring),

Bondy went OK when moved to defence though and don't forget he's only
plyed 2 or 3 this year through injury

> Andrew Mcleod (a champion, but allowed a goal in the
> last quarter because he just couldn't be bothered -seemingly), and there
> were many others.

Heads were certainly down by then.

> Only one Swan I'd like to mention: Wayne Schwass. The most pathetic
> performance I've seen on a football field when he staged a theatrical dive
> that even a soccer player would have been ashamed of, when his opponent
> Burton moved to take a position in front of him - I doubt there was even
> contact made. Schwass' stupidity was only matched by the umpire who reported
> Burton. The report will be dropped when the video footage is seen, but in my
> opinion Schwass should be reported for bringing the game into disrepute with
> such cowardly pathetic antics.

That was ridiculous. In top level soccer, I believe Schwass would have
been suspended for trying to con the Ump (ref-fat controller-maggot -
take your pick) It's the same as I posted a while aog about this sort of
player. They certainly may be great players, but the measure of a man is
how he behaves in a situation like this - Schwass failed this test IMO.
BTW It certainly was revoked toda I heard on the radio.

> No wonder he's touted as a Brownlow favourite
> when the umpires show him that sort of protection - I'm surprised he wasn't
> offered a hankerchief to wipe away his tears!
>

> Well now I've vented my spleen I feel a lot better. One thing I am glad
> about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing we
> deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
> underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of being
> expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
> consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!

One good thing is that a few of our players will get needed operations a
bit sooner - Kane Johnson (ecstatic that he's re-signed) etc

And if we actually beat Port next week (which I seriously doubt) it will
absolutely destroy them.

> Cheers,
>
> Dean.

regards
Marto the unsigned
--
Odds Bodkins and a Thousand Gadzooks!

(Remove the Ubelievable to reply)

Marto the Unbelievable

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Power Mad wrote:

> Dean Lockett provided this scotch tape for a cardboard utopia...
>
> > One thing I am glad
> > about, and that is that the Crows can't make the finals - there's nothing
> we
> > deserve less than that! Another is that we go into next weeks game as the
> > underdogs and with nothing to lose, whereas Port have the pressure of
> being
> > expected to win and trying to cement a spot in the 8. It'd be some
> > consolation to play a part in denting their aspirations and chances!
> >
> Ahhh! The natural order of South Australian football is restored - the rest
> trying to knock Port off their perch...

I guess so, if you believe that the eighth spot perch is the ultimate
goal :)

BTW Mr MAD I have located my list of concessions for Adelaide and am
still searching for my list of PAP ones (I believe it was you who asked
me to post them)

Cheers
Marto the unseated

Dean Lockett

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

David Johnson wrote in message <37b79ac0...@news.optus.net.au>...

>So now you've had a go at Scwhass do you find anything positive at all
>to say about Sydney's game. What about the performance of your
>namesake.....

Certainly I could say plenty of positive stuff about Sydney's game -
basically they completely outplayed and outclassed Adelaide and I think that
says it all - mine certainly wasn't an anti-Sydney post, I was very
disappointed with my team's performance!

I think that pick up and hand pass at the start of the 2nd quarter(?) once
again says it all about the big bloke. That was pure football skill and the
aspect of his game that sets him apart from others of his stature. It was
the sort of thing you expect from a player of the calibre of Jarman - from a
man of Plugger's size, it just about goes down as miraculous. He certainly
must be up in the top 3 of all time greats IMO. Only thing is, people get a
bit sentimental at the end of a great player's career and tend to forget the
ugly side of him - and when Plugger was bad, he was very bad!

>That certainly wasn't the Adelaide we all know and I know that it'll
>be felt more in Adelaide (with the Port thing etc.) but it was an
>aberration and if played again tomorrow would be much closer and in
>fact the Crows would probably win.

Kind words, but I don't think they reflect reality too closely - I'd have my
money on Sydney!

>If I were in the Port Adelaide camp I'd be a bit wary because this
>team will be desperate to restore some pride.

They bloody well should be, but I don't hold out much hope. The Crows need
the end of the season, a recuperative break, a good pre-season (2000), a
purge of some dead or dying wood and an enthusiastic and dedicated
replacement coach to start out on the road to recovery.

Cheers,

Dean.

Power Mad

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Marto the Unbelievable crowed >...

>Power Mad wrote:
>>
>> Ahhh! The natural order of South Australian football is restored - the
rest
>> trying to knock Port off their perch...
>
>I guess so, if you believe that the eighth spot perch is the ultimate
>goal :)

I'd be reasonably happy with 7th or 8th *this* year - for starters - so long
as we didn't get humiliated in the finals.

>BTW Mr MAD I have located my list of concessions for Adelaide and am
>still searching for my list of PAP ones (I believe it was you who asked
>me to post them)

Indeed - please do. And Bears, Eagles and Dockers IYWBSK

Shaun

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Dean Lockett wrote in message <7gHt3.3$PU3....@vic.nntp.telstra.net>...

>Well, I thought we had put those days behind us, but yesterday Adelaide
>returned to the form and lack of commitment that had typified its seasons
of
>95 and 96. Sure, we've got injury problems and Sydney got on the roll of
its
>life and was able to kick goals out of its backside,

You missed their effort one season when they had 3 weeks in a row of kicking
over 30 goals.
I'm sure they beat Essendon up at the SCG but over 160 points in those three
weeks. Might have beat Eagles by around 130 points aswell. Think it was in
1987 with Greg Williams setting play up brilliantly from centre along with
his mate Gerard Healy and Barry Mitchell. Mark Bayes kicking long left
footer goals on the run i remember aswell

M.A

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Dean Lockett wrote in message <7gHt3.3$PU3....@vic.nntp.telstra.net>...
>Well, I thought we had put those days behind us, but yesterday Adelaide
>returned to the form and lack of commitment that had typified its seasons
of
>95 and 96. Sure, we've got injury problems and Sydney got on the roll of
its
>life and was able to kick goals out of its backside, but only one side had
>come to play competitive football yesterday.

I haven't see the Crows put in such a feeble effort for a long time. I think
you need to go back to 1995 when they got thrashed by the Eagles at Subi,
and only kicked 5 goals for the game.

Mr. Ripper

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <7p8ocu$cea$1...@news1.mpx.com.au>,
"Shaun" <shd...@mpx.com.au> wrote:

> Dean Lockett wrote:
> > [snips]

> > Sydney got on the roll of its life and was able to kick goals out
> > of its backside

> You missed their effort one season when they had 3 weeks in a row of

> kicking over 30 goals. I'm sure they beat Essendon up at the SCG but
> over 160 points in those three weeks. Might have beat Eagles by
> around 130 points aswell. Think it was in 1987 with Greg Williams
> setting play up brilliantly from centre along with his mate Gerard
> Healy and Barry Mitchell. Mark Bayes kicking long left footer goals
> on the run i remember aswell

Well remembered. The Swannies got on a real roll over rounds 16/17 & 18
of 1987. In consecutive SCG matches, they flogged the Eags 30.21 to
10.11, followed that with a 36.20 to 11.7 demolition of the Dons and
finally a 31.12 to 15.17 thrashing of Richmond. The Tiges actually
played reasonably okayish that night but the Swans were just so white
hot!

Of note is that Diesel missed the Essendon match through a one game
suspension after a SOO match. His replacement, Brett Scott picked up
the slack with 31 touches in a BOG performance.

The red and white bubble burst the next week when Carlton humbled them
17.21 to 8.7 at Princes Park.

Mr. Ripper

"If you put Mike Moncrieff's head on that bloke's
shoulders, he'd look exactly like Mike Moncrieff".
- Peter McKenna

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

ozman

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Dean Lockett wrote:

> David Johnson wrote in message <37b79ac0...@news.optus.net.au>...

[snips]

> >That certainly wasn't the Adelaide we all know and I know that it'll
> >be felt more in Adelaide (with the Port thing etc.) but it was an
> >aberration and if played again tomorrow would be much closer and in
> >fact the Crows would probably win.

A very poor effort from Crows, and I suppose a bit of an aberration in terms
of that it was exceptionally inept. The only thing I'd note here is that,
for one reason or another, poor form for Crows has been the rule rather
than the exception this season. IOW, not all that much of an aberration.
And no, I would not think Crows would be favoured to win. They need to
re-generate quite a way to become competitive once again.

I recall Ruth saying, after the Sydney v Adelaide fixture earlier in the
year, that she was oficially playing the injury card and the rebuilding card.
I think that was a bit premature from Ruth. I think rather its our turn to
play these cards now.

> Kind words, but I don't think they reflect reality too closely - I'd have my
> money on Sydney!

Likewise, Dean.

> >If I were in the Port Adelaide camp I'd be a bit wary because this
> >team will be desperate to restore some pride.
>
> They bloody well should be, but I don't hold out much hope. The Crows need
> the end of the season, a recuperative break, a good pre-season (2000), a
> purge of some dead or dying wood and an enthusiastic and dedicated
> replacement coach to start out on the road to recovery.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dean.

This I agree with, too. I think Port will even up the showdown tally, and if they
don't then it looks dismal for them in the finals. Crows need the season break
now to get back on track, they are a long way from it at the moment. But, given
the break, new coach, draft picks and trades to liven up the list a bit, new
coach, I think they can turn it around. Some positive news this evening was that
Rehn announced he will be playing next season. I think he may have felt the
need to inject some positive in the picture somewhere, there is very little
else to be enthusiastic about for Crows just now.

Regards,
ozman.

Ann Potter

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Yes I was there for all 3 games and the chant was "200, 200, 200" I thought
that there was also a Fitzroy game where the same thing happened.

Ann

Peter Ryan

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Mr. Ripper wrote:

> In article <7p8ocu$cea$1...@news1.mpx.com.au>,
> "Shaun" <shd...@mpx.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Dean Lockett wrote:
> > > [snips]
> > > Sydney got on the roll of its life and was able to kick goals out
> > > of its backside
>
> > You missed their effort one season when they had 3 weeks in a row of
> > kicking over 30 goals. I'm sure they beat Essendon up at the SCG but
> > over 160 points in those three weeks. Might have beat Eagles by
> > around 130 points aswell. Think it was in 1987 with Greg Williams
> > setting play up brilliantly from centre along with his mate Gerard
> > Healy and Barry Mitchell. Mark Bayes kicking long left footer goals
> > on the run i remember aswell
>

> Well remembered. The Swannies got on a real roll over rounds 16/17 & 18
> of 1987. In consecutive SCG matches, they flogged the Eags 30.21 to
> 10.11, followed that with a 36.20 to 11.7 demolition of the Dons and
> finally a 31.12 to 15.17 thrashing of Richmond. The Tiges actually
> played reasonably okayish that night but the Swans were just so white
> hot!
>
> Of note is that Diesel missed the Essendon match through a one game
> suspension after a SOO match. His replacement, Brett Scott picked up
> the slack with 31 touches in a BOG performance.
>
> The red and white bubble burst the next week when Carlton humbled them
> 17.21 to 8.7 at Princes Park.

And didn't it stay burst? The Swans also got flogged (again at Princes
Park) by Hawthorn the week after that, then returned to the SCG only to go
down to Geelong (conceding 41 scoring shots in the process).

The Swans then fell in in the last round of the season v 11th placed
Fitzroy (Princes Park again) only to be slaughtered in both their finals by
Hawthorn (by 99 points) and Melbourne (76).

Has any other team in history ever gone so rapidly from a surfeit of
chocolates to having their boiled lollies pinched?

Peter Ryan

Mr. Ripper

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <7p94v7$o92$1...@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,

"Ann Potter" <a.po...@nospam.dis.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Yes I was there for all 3 games and the chant was "200, 200, 200" I
> thought that there was also a Fitzroy game where the same thing
> happened.
>
> Ann

The mighty Roys actually won in Sydney in 1987, minus Roos and Pert,
too! Ahh, those were the days!

Mr. Ripper

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <37B8A7E1...@bom.gov.au>,

Peter...@bom.gov.au wrote:
> And didn't it stay burst? The Swans also got flogged (again at
> Princes Park) by Hawthorn the week after that, then returned to the
> SCG only to go down to Geelong (conceding 41 scoring shots in the
> process).

IIRC, the "Prez" got going late in that match after doing vitually
nothing all day.

> The Swans then fell in in the last round of the season v 11th placed
> Fitzroy (Princes Park again)

Thanks to the most dominant 10 minute burst of ruck dominance you could
imagine by Johnny Ironmonger which turned around a 40 point deficit
just before three quarter time. (Admittedly, he was only up against
Craig McGrath.)

> only to be slaughtered in both their
> finals by Hawthorn (by 99 points) and Melbourne (76).
>
> Has any other team in history ever gone so rapidly from a surfeit of
> chocolates to having their boiled lollies pinched?

Dees in '65? The Eags are giving a pretty fair shake this year, too!

Adrian

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
I miss Fitzroy !!!!!

Things just won't be the same !!!

Adrian
Go Bombers !!

Mr. Ripper <mrsr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In article <7p94v7$o92$1...@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,
> "Ann Potter" <a.po...@nospam.dis.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> > Yes I was there for all 3 games and the chant was "200, 200, 200" I
> > thought that there was also a Fitzroy game where the same thing
> > happened.
> >
> > Ann
>
> The mighty Roys actually won in Sydney in 1987, minus Roos and Pert,
> too! Ahh, those were the days!

Mr. Ripper

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pbf3u$6mp$1...@towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au>,
"Adrian" <at...@student.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> I miss Fitzroy !!!!!

I miss 'em too :(

Along with:
Scanlens Footy Cards.
League Teams with Bob, Lou and Jack.
The Junction.
Players with muttonchop sideys.
Sidey.
Holding the ball (not the farcical P.O. rule).
World of Sport.
Close Grand Finals.
Essendon's red 'home' shorts.
Richmond's yellow boots.
Micky Conlan.
Smokey, Smooth and Bigs on 3LO.
Roos! Roos! Roos!
South.
Beating Collingwood at Vic Park.

And I'm sure there are plenty of others.