Boston Invite Pools...

Krishna

Jun 12, 2007, 10:48:54 AM6/12/07
...are up:
http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=127&id=3534

Seedings for these tournaments are never really that important, but
those choices seem a little strange.

Handy

Jun 12, 2007, 1:42:11 PM6/12/07

Which would you change?

Krishna

Jun 12, 2007, 2:29:00 PM6/12/07

Isn't Truck Stop a little high for a team that is 0-2 against Pike and
0-1 against Goat this year?
Why are Red Tide and Big Ego in the top pools instead of HOV (win
against Red Tide), and Colt (win against Big Ego)?
Why is Mephisto (who has beat a nationals qualifier) seeded below
Brooklyn (whose only win comes against Sons of Wilt)

But hey, these are all small things many of which will get sorted out
in pool play.
When someone puts in the effort to run a tournament (especially one as
big as Boston), they shouldn't have to deal with someone whining about
their team being seeded too low. I was just a little puzzled as to how
these seedings came about.

speakd...@yahoo.com

Jun 12, 2007, 4:58:08 PM6/12/07
Truckstop should stay the same. I don't think you should base
seedings for the first "big" tournament of the season on spring
tournaments results when teams are trying out kids and have mixed
attendence numbers. If you have good info that a team has lost or
gained a lot of people so be it, but Truckstop has picked up a bunch
of great players for the upcoming season. That being said NY has had
a good spring and with 2-3 big pickups should be considered for the
three seed.

Bill Mill

Jun 12, 2007, 9:05:19 PM6/12/07
On Jun 12, 2:29 pm, Krishna <mr.krishna....@gmail.com> wrote:

Mephisto is definitely underseeded, having played them a week ago.
Also, note that the Big Ego listed on the Score Reporter is the
Master's Big Ego, not the Open one, which shows their loss to Colt .
45.

Also, Phoenix is confusing to seed, since they beat us twice, but lost
to Tide and New Noise (but beat HOV). CUT really muddied things up
more than it helped the seeders.

-Bill Mill
Medicine Men #99
bill.mill at gmail.com

Handy

Jun 13, 2007, 12:21:28 AM6/13/07

Big Ego is the same team, I don't argue with them in the elite but
Colt beat whichever iteration of them you want to put up there. If
they want to clean things up with a new account that's cool, we know
what's up.

-Handy-

jamieso...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2007, 1:24:18 AM6/13/07
The biggest concern is there is no crossover into the Elite pool from
Open 1. Seeding becomes really relevant without the crossover
especially for the lower ranked teams.

Peter
cultimate.blogspot.com

kemp...@hotmail.com

Jun 13, 2007, 12:31:40 PM6/13/07
On Jun 13, 1:24 am, "jamieson.pe...@gmail.com"

If you look at the score reporter now, they are trying out several
different pool scenerios. Looks like either a top 16 bottom 20, or a
10/10/10/6 pools, or 10/10/8/8 for pools. Still the lack of crossover
up is a concern.

Hodge

Jun 14, 2007, 11:03:16 AM6/14/07
On Jun 13, 12:31 pm, kempit...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 13, 1:24 am, "jamieson.pe...@gmail.com"
>
> If you look at the score reporter now, they are trying out several
> different pool scenerios. Looks like either a top 16 bottom 20, or a
> 10/10/10/6 pools, or 10/10/8/8 for pools. Still the lack of crossover
> up is a concern.

Looks like they've changed it again to 4 pools of 4 (1-16) and 4 pools
of 5 (17-36) , and now there is crossovers into the A/B pools for the
top 2 teams out of C/D. This seems more reasonable to me, but there
is no crossover yet posted for A1/B2, B1/A2, but I'm assuming this
will be put up later.

Parinella

Jun 14, 2007, 11:13:01 AM6/14/07
On Jun 13, 12:31 pm, kempit...@hotmail.com wrote:

There _is_ a crossover up, but it's for 9-16 against 5-8 in the pre-
quarters. The top couple teams are probably not going to be
challenged at all by anyone seeded below about #5. Teams 17 and below
have a chance to play up for 9th place. For a two-day invitational
that tries to attract the top teams from the non-west, you have to
balance the opportunity for the lower teams to play up with giving the
top teams enough top-level games to make it worth their while to
attend.

Peter Gett

Jun 14, 2007, 11:54:33 AM6/14/07

Am I reading these pools correctly? Is the best that the teams from
Pools E-H can do is 9th place? I'm kinda new to these big tournaments,
is that normal?

Handy

Jun 14, 2007, 1:05:04 PM6/14/07

Although Score Reporter doesn't have a good way of showing it, this
tournament is actually Boston Invite - Elite and Eastern's. Eastern's
is 9 and below and elite is 8 and above. Getting 9th in this
tournament is the best that those pools (E-H) can do, but that is
equivalent to "winning" eastern's (and besides, none of those teams
are top 8 caliber). The reason that the Elite bracket is even listed
at all with the open bracket in this case because this unique setup
allows the best teams at eastern's to switch places with the "worst"
teams at the elite level (e.g. Red Tide outplays Medicine Men or some
such equivalent). This trade of teams allows for more accurate
results at the end.

Hope this was helpful (and accurate, BI and score reporter folk feel
free to correct me). I am in no way connected with BI organization,
I've just played there before.

-Handy-

Parinella

Jun 14, 2007, 5:21:21 PM6/14/07
On Jun 14, 11:54 am, Peter Gett <PeterG...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is that normal?- Hide quoted text -

I'd venture that it's more standard now that when there is an Elite
division that there is no crossover at all. Elite teams play a round-
robin with each other leading directly to semis or finals (or there
are two pools of 4-6), and there may also be a separate Open division.

Few tournaments have anything like 36 teams in one division, also.
Chicago Heavyweight has a lot, too, and stratifies the teams.

"Tournament stratification" sounds like a good topic for a blog post.

Peter Gett

Jun 15, 2007, 10:01:49 AM6/15/07
> "Tournament stratification" sounds like a good topic for a blog post.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for clearing that up, you are wise beyond your years.