ultimate talk with mike g

UGGE...@ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95

it's time that i announce that i'm running for the position of ultimate
frisbee's collegiate coordinator. thanks for getting my name out to the
public. i trust that i will have your support. when is the voting?

i pledge to do all that i can to advance the sport of ultimate to it's
highest potential at the college level. college nationals will feature
the top 12 teams in the nation only. fruit will be plentiful. water too.
parties will be daily. kegs on tap. dj slim will cut it up on the wheels
of steel. big trophies will be awarded. newscrews and photographers will
be on hand.

thank you. mike gerics.

YOUR_NAME_HERE_

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
This raises some interesting issues. Tell us more, Mike.
i.e. where do you stand on issues like: refs, conflicts, spirit,
rankings, etc....
General question: How much does the Collegiat Coord. determine as far as
the Series goes? If we want refs/active observers (everywhere) does the
Col. Coord. determine that issue?

cyber toast
Mackey _IS_ Ultimate.

NYF '96: Be there.

Cyber Toast
"'I don't talk THINGS, sir...I talk the MEANINGS of
things. I sit here and KNOW i'm alive.'" -r.bradbury
_________________*_______________*______________________

David Reid

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
In article G...@cunews.carleton.ca, UGGE...@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU () writes:

>it's time that i announce that i'm running for the position of ultimate
>frisbee's collegiate coordinator. thanks for getting my name out to the
>public. i trust that i will have your support. when is the voting?
>
>i pledge to do all that i can to advance the sport of ultimate to it's
>highest potential at the college level. college nationals will feature
>the top 12 teams in the nation only. fruit will be plentiful. water too.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hang on....What exactly do you mean by the "top 12 teams in the nation
only"? As decided by whom? Are you really suggesting the current system of
qualifying for College Nationals is flawed? If it is...then aren't you also saying
that the same system for Club Nationals is flawed as well?

dave
Dave Reid re...@phebos.aps.anl.gov
Advanced Photon Source "Tardy? I Don't Feel Tardy"
Argonne National Lab

Paul Socolow @ Machine Ultimate

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
YOUR_NAME_HERE_ <clt...@imap1.asu.edu> writes:

>General question: How much does the Collegiat Coord. determine as far as
>the Series goes? If we want refs/active observers (everywhere) does the
>Col. Coord. determine that issue?

Refs would require a change in the rules. That requires a membership vote (I
think, that's why the yearly revisions are merely "clarifications" and
not new rules).

Observers are subject to availability (good luck at anything but Nationals,
and even then there isn't enough) and the discretion of the TD (the CSC or
CRC or WCRC).

Running Nationals is done in concert with the organizers, and can range from
hard to impossible.

The involvement of the NCD in other affairs depends upon the work the
College Coordinators do, and his/her free time. Chasing down roster
violations, and explaining why individual exemptions from the eligibility
rules aren't done take a lot of time.

-Socolow

The Big Kahuna

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
David Reid (re...@aps.anl.gov) wrote:
: >i pledge to do all that i can to advance the sport of ultimate to it's

: >highest potential at the college level. college nationals will feature
: >the top 12 teams in the nation only. fruit will be plentiful. water too.
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What about Universities and Colleges north of the boarder?
Currently, I have gotten NO REAL feedback if this will ever
happen(Canadian University teams at the collegiate championships). I am
wondering where do you stand. If you want the best 12 collegiate teams
there, you might have to look north of the boader. Also, since I am on
the topic, if I could please get some responce from the UPA exec's on
this issue, and if this could also be taken as a formal request that
Canadian University teams be allowed to play at the collegiate nationals,
if they do qualify. I will gladly give reasons for this cause, along
with some feedback I have gotten in the past regarding this issue from
other college players who like my proposal. Even in recognized
collegiate sports, U.S. and Canadian colleges play in the same
league(NAIAU?) for example. Also, some students at Canadian Universities
also happen to be U.S. citizens. Furthermore, no ranking system is on
the line(like the UPA Fall series for world bids). this list goes on....

o al...@unixg.ubc.ca o
O/ UBC Ultimate -* VUL: Farm Accidents(A) * Tatamagoosh(B) *- \O
/I -* Mo - WaZu *- I\
/> "It's the Harley Kicks that always give me away". <\

Mark DeBenedette

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Don't hold your breath, I still haven't heard if the UPA is even going
to let Canadian teams compete in the open series.

The Big Kahuna

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
Mark DeBenedette (debe...@immune.med.utoronto.ca) wrote:
: Don't hold your breath, I still haven't heard if the UPA is even going
: to let Canadian teams compete in the open series.
That is a different issue on its own. Currenlty the open series
is used to determine who goes to worlds. The college series just crowns
a college champion. And if you read my earlier message, you would see
that there are intercollegiate league games and championships between
Canadian and U.S. schools in other sports. I know for a fact that Simon
Fraser University(In Burnaby B.C. Canada) plays against U.S. schools in a
North-American collegiate association. Besides, why discriminate
against the U.S. students who come to Canada for their post-secondary
education?

UGGE...@ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95

the name of our sport. ?ever asked a class of 3rd graders if they've
ever played frisbee football expecting them to have no idea about
ultimate and have half of them yell out "you mean Ultimate
frisbee???!!!!!! they play right across the street and we watch them
after school" (talking about the irates and some r.o.t.c. folks). the
name will remain...ULTIMATE. if not for my sake, then for sean who
yelled it before each pull before he was struck and killed in tennessee.

shot clock?? hey look buddy...if i wanted a shot clock i'd be playing in
the NBA. if i wanted a play clock i'd be playing in the NFL.
naw...serious...60 second pull clock. fuck the dumb shit. try it at
practice if ya'll practice. try it at practice if you're on a team that
cares about making this a better sport. don't try it if you're playing
for the fun of it. no need to post an opinoin on it if you'll never be
playing in one of the upper level tournaments that'll have refs and be
on tv and be sponsored and have cash prizes. ya'll just play and have
fun. seriously. we'll soon disc-over that even 60 seconds is way too
long. bank on that.

ya know what i think??? i think each upper level tournament should have
a page in it's program that displays the hand signals that correspond
with each possible violation so that observers unfamiliar with the game
will know what's going on when calls are made....oh yeah, then players
will have to begin doing the hand signals..(travel, foul, pick, etc).
that way even knowledgable spectaters across the field will know what's
going on. soon however, the referees will be doing all that jive tho.

ya know...if so many people didn't cheat and show so much disrespect
towards other peoples calls...our sport would never need referees. ok, i
got it. from now on...everyone respect every single call no matter how
shitty it is and no matter how obviously it's incorrect or flat out
wrong. if someone's out and they call themselves in...just play on and
smile and shake his/her hand and pat em on the back while you take the
70 yard hike. wow. i can feel our community growing stronger as i type.
naw...seriously. this is a great dream and, yes even i wish it could
happen because when i started playing i thought it was great this spirit
thing. "it's like there are actually 14 refs...so no one can cheat cause
the guy next to you is a ref and so am i", i used to say. i was once
young and idealistic. now i say funk that. we need to work refs into our
little sport. will the upa ever do so or will the upa in a few years be
only for the masters division and the 100% pure at heart?(who of course
don't play ultimate). i know paul socklow will post something saying
that the upa will only be for the pure hearted folks so don't waist your
finger pecks.

i think ultimate is too much the PLAYERS sport. without refs and with
its players so often stating that with refs the game would be taken out
of the players hands...the opportunity to discuss calls and debate calls
and argue calls and delay games over calls too often presents its self.
i'd rather dispense with the arguements and have the game out of my
hands for the sake of the community t hat has to sit thru the games
while childish immature jerks argue over....hey, wait a second here.
seriously. if it'd make the sport more enjoyable and viewer friendly(is
friends in tonight?) take it the funk out of our hands and get some
joker in here that can decide in one millisecond if i was in or out or
if jonny g IS loitering(was that 3 syllables?) around out of bounds or
whatever. fuck the players. i want a sport. i want ultimate to be all it
can be. paul, eric, masters...we gots us a new breed here and we want a
sport and not some laim assed hippy shindig.

suggestion...get referees incorporated into your sport. but then
again...i'll always be proud of my forefathers that lead the way for the
next set of rulers of ultimate frisbee...the National Ultimate
Association. notice the lack of gray area in the title...not run by old
school players. rather run by new thinkers FOR THE PLAYERS.

college teams....get in touch with broc adams at uncw to get info about
college easterns. should be much improved over the last two which were
run by a non thinker...but a hell of a swell fella.

thank you very much...and have an ultimate day! mike gerics.

RDHanson

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
To use your phrase, if I wanted referees, I'd play soccer. At some point,
I figured out that I could make calls as well as some guy in a black
shirt. If my opponent makes a bad call, then I contest where I can, and
make a makeup call when I can't. In my neighborhood, having referees
doesn't solve anything, it justs shifts the blame. I haven't seen a
televised sports event that didn't have somebody arguing about a call.

michae...@uiowa.edu

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95

>shot clock?? hey look buddy...if i wanted a shot clock i'd be playing in
>the NBA. if i wanted a play clock i'd be playing in the NFL.

If you want to "have refs and be on tv and be sponsored
and have cash prizes" then by all means go play in the NFL
or the NBA -- though, somehow, I don't think you'd make it...

Michael

Frank Yue

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
> UGGE...@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU wrote:
>
> : ya know...if so many people didn't cheat and show so much disrespect

> : towards other peoples calls...our sport would never need referees. ok, i
> : got it. from now on...everyone respect every single call no matter how
> : shitty it is and no matter how obviously it's incorrect or flat out
> : wrong.

Respect does not only travel in one direction. Respect also means
listening to your opponent's reasons for contesting a call and rescinding
said call.

Question in general:

In a lot of other major sports (Baseball, softball, soccer, football,
volleyball, etc) There are two types of games. Ones with Referees and
ones without. There are leagues for these sports where referees are not
used. There are leagues where they are. Why is Ultimate so different?

I understand that SOTG is of utmost importance. I believe it is central
to the game. You may have seen previous posts where I support SOTG. I
don't understand why folks think that the entire game is either going to
be refs or no refs. Are we so narrow minded that we can only have the
game one way and will force everyone else to play it our way?
--
Frank Yue (Network Administrator) "I didn't do it."
Swarthmore College Computing Center -Bart Simpson et. al.

PGP Fingerprint:
7D 69 D7 5E 77 16 C4 E1 52 6B 87 A6 D3 A9 B3 1E

Paul Sackley

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
UGGE...@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU wrote:

stuff deleted...

: ya know...if so many people didn't cheat and show so much disrespect

: towards other peoples calls...our sport would never need referees. ok, i
: got it. from now on...everyone respect every single call no matter how
: shitty it is and no matter how obviously it's incorrect or flat out
: wrong.

you know why i hate refs? 1975 world series, reds vs. red sox. greatest
world series ever, except larry barnett (umpire) ruined it with his
failure to call ed armbrister for interfering w/ carlton fisk.