Why not hold UPA championships right now?

a.willi...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2007, 5:52:33 PM7/26/07
Right now, Sportscenter is regularly running clips from Major League
Lacrosse in its Top 10 Plays of the Day segment. I could be wrong, but
I don't think this is sign of lacrosse's ascendancy to a major fan
sport. It's because the only thing going on right now is baseball (and
even MLB is arguably going through the dullest stretch of the season).
July is a dead zone for professional sports.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the logic behind holding holding
the UPA club championship in late October (to separate it from the
college championship, maybe?). However, if the UPA is serious about
growing the sport and gaining some national attention, late October is
one of the worst times to hold a championship: baseball is holding the
World Series, the NFL is in full swing, many of the big college
football rivalries are going down, and the NBA and NHL are kicking off
their seasons.

Perhaps there's an obvious flaw in this idea that I'm overlooking, and
maybe this has been discussed before, but why not have the UPA
Championship in July or August? There would infinitely more
opportunity for coverage, and you could rotate the location instead
of having to hold it in Saratoga every year.

eric....@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2007, 5:59:00 PM7/26/07
Wow. That's actually a solid, smart, salient point posted on RSD.
It's well thought out and is actionable. Nice work, Sir!

(Now, go ahead and suggest it THROUGH THE PROPER CHANNELS TO THE
UPA.) Seriously, this is a decent idea, so do it, and ask them to put
it up to a membership vote.

bt

Jul 26, 2007, 6:36:42 PM7/26/07
I think October is UPA championship month due to tradition, rather
than any grounded, well-considered reason.

There used to be a spring championship, more or less, called Easterns,
and then Nationals in the fall. These 2 were the premiere bookend
tournaments all through the 80s and into the 90s, before the modern
slate of 'grand prix' tourneys formed and spread throughout the year,
such as ECC, Colorado Cup, and Santa Cruz.

The points above are pretty damn compelling. There really is no good
reason for the UPA championship to exist in October.

Sectionals/regionals could easily occur in July/August. This would
radically change the annual ultimate schedule, though, and render a
lot of August tourneys moot, or at least less compelling if they had
to move to Sept.

bt

Reid K

Jul 26, 2007, 6:51:09 PM7/26/07
Do we really want to completely change our entire club season so that
we can MAYBE get 10 seconds of exposure on sportscenter?

Firstly, moving up the series would mean moving up every other
tournament that exists in the club season, which would back up the
season into the end of the college season. This overlapping of
seasons would be extremely unfair to the students of nationals level
college teams, many of which also play competitive club.

Moving up the schedule earlier would likely also mean playing in
conditions that are less then optimal, because we are going back
farther into spring. While this occurs in college as well, at least
college students likely have access to some kind of gym area that
everyone can access. Plus, the college season is pretty unflexible,
so teams have to live with it.

I'm sure that there are more reasons out there, but thats what pops
into my mind immediately.

dmr...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2007, 7:02:10 PM7/26/07
Wow, I love the idea.

Holding nationals in early August would free up anyone who can't make
an October trip due to school/work/family/kid obligations, but summer
time is travel time.

And if it's August, then northern reaches of the country become viable
candidates to host the event. Weather in Minnesota, New England area,
Seattle, or Denver in October might be chilly? early snow? lotsa rain?
but August has a chance to be pretty sweet in those places. Not to
mention lots of hours of daylight.

Other tourneys would adjust easily enough, and the change might create
more opportunities for casual & mid-level players in the fall, due to
the availability of those weekends for tourneys or leagues (without
interruption by sectionals/regionals/nationals)

We all need to pitch it to the UPA if we really want to see a change.

-DMR

Mike Gerics

Jul 26, 2007, 7:10:25 PM7/26/07
> Firstly, moving up the series would mean moving up every other
> tournament that exists in the club season

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

---we could have Nationals now.....and the club season afterwards......

Reid K

Jul 26, 2007, 7:21:07 PM7/26/07
we could have the super bowl now too, that doesnt mean it would make
sense.

Fish

Jul 26, 2007, 7:37:33 PM7/26/07

This is a fantastic idea. October is such a tough time for people with
heavy fall work schedules and young kids in school and a tough time
for college students (it was more than a rough time commitment last
year to have regionals and nationals in the fall). Changing it to the
summer would make things so much easier.

Right now, I think the early parts of the club season (June, July) are
not so important that they couldn't be essentially absorbed into the
end of the college season. That is, club practices and tryouts could
begin in March instead of May, big pre-season tournaments could shift
to May and June (why not earlier in the summer?), and the series could
begin in mid-July.

As to the issue of college kids playing club, I believe club teams
wouldn't have a solid objection to having players who miss a certain
number of the early practices because they are committed to a
competitive college team. In fact, I think that playing the college
series would be great preparation for college players who could then
jump right into the club season in full form. This would offer less
down time in between the end of May and early August (when the club
season really starts ramping up), allowing for greater continuity in
terms of fitness with the advantage of a longer offseason for
recovery. That is, college players aren't going to have to jump right
into their college season after the club season ends--they will have
some down time between the end of August and January that could be
quite advantageous for rehabilitation. For players who play both
series at the highest level, this means a consecutive 8 month season,
with 4 months of considerable downtime.

And the argument that opening up the north to the club series is a
great one. Imagine a roving Nationals, taking advantage of field sites
around the country in the same way that the college program currently
does. An earlier series should be considered and implemented as soon
as possible.

fish

Head Beagle

Jul 26, 2007, 7:43:54 PM7/26/07
Hmm. Interesting, with some merit.

Thoughts to consider:

Current spacing of Club/College Sectionals:

May - October

5 months from college to club
7 months from club to college

Proposed Spacing

May - August

3 months from college to club
9 months from club to college

I think the spacing is better as is, but that doesn't neccesarily mean
it is better overall.
You can't move college nationals, northern teams get too little
practice time already.
Little to no recovery time for college nationals players going to club
teams.
Would increase the possibility of getting some coverage because yes,
there is NOTHING going on in sports right now. The middle of the
baseball season might as well not happen, they need to cut the season
by 50 games anyway.
This would put all the tune-up tournaments in the dead of summer. Good
for travel and such, bad for playing tournaments in 110 degree
weather. Nationals (depending on locations) could also end up scalding
(not that Arkansas is a good place to have nationals, but it IS
miserable for most of August. Other states may be the same), although
in northern locations it could be rather nice.

degnan...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2007, 8:28:51 PM7/26/07
This is not a terrible idea, but I think I like the Series in the fall
better. Here's why:

1) Won't someone think of the children?
YCCs are in August and if that event grows into what it could &
hopefully will become -- a multi-tiered, championship-level youth
ultimate tournament with several age and gender divisions -- then that
will become the crown jewel of the summer season. And rightfully so.
In 2001 there weren't even 400 youth UPA members and there are many
thousands now. Say nothing of the coaches involved (many of whom are
elite players).

2) It looks great from behind, but check out that front.
When does your club team have tryouts if they want to lure college
players? When do the elite pre-Series tournaments take place? The
answers to these questions mean we'll have competing interests among
the UPA divisions. The beginning of the club season -- May, June-ish
-- is fine now. But if we compress the season there will be negative
effects in the April-June time frame. I can't tell you what kind of
stranglehold soccer already has on the fields around here.

2a) It will be impossible to coordinate the re-alignment of summer
tourneys.
Move ECC two weeks; move Colorado Cup two weeks; try to do Solstice;
try to have Easterns; forget Labor Day and CHC. Total nightmare.

3) Sorry about developing your college team.
My college fielded (and still fields) two teams for the fall Series.
This, ultimately, will be the reason we cannot move the Club Series:
an absurdly high proportion of Club Series participation is from
college players. Start any earlier and very few college teams will be
able to play due to academic calendars. Sure, some still will play.
But let's say the IOC comes along: how are you going to explain a 40%
drop in your premier series participation?

4) We are not competing with the NFL and major league baseball.
The original poster lamented that our championship coincides with the
World Series and the NFL. If you think we are even close to being in a
position where that mattered, you are way off. Sorry.

5) International events.
WUGC & WUCC typically take place in the summer (for us Northern
Hemispherians, sorry mate). Fitting these in around the UPA Series
would be a disaster (see: 2006 WUCC).

6) What's with the Sarasota gripes?
Seriously, what are the arguments against having nationals in Sarasota
besides 'we always do it there'? We have a routine now; it's easy.
Plus 30 perfect acres ain't easy or cheap -- anywhere in the country.
We got a pretty good thing going in Sarasota... til a hurricane fucks
us in the ass that is.

7) WTF am I going to do come autumn?
Play fall league? Not bloody likely.

At best I think this proposal should go to the back burner. Maybe if
we stratify the Club Series and have an elite, marketable division
that didn't need college players and teams to fill its ranks. Maybe if
competing with pro sports was actually a concern. Maybe if there was
some way to assuage the international events & get every summer TD to
bump their tourney by the same # of weeks. In the meantime I think
it's interesting to think about, and even worthy of discussion... but
don't move the Club Series.

degs

Barrett

Jul 26, 2007, 8:55:46 PM7/26/07
Degs makes a lot of good points. I agree that college players would
present serious problems, either from burnout or injury. Any players
who play through college nationals NEED some down time for their
bodies or else you are begging for your body to break down.

I would bet, though, that the main reason this wouldn't happen is the
heat in much of the country when the UPA would be asking teams to play
sectionals and regionals (and hold serious practices). As soon as
someone drops dead from heat stroke or whatever, at a required all-day
event in the sun, the excitement of 5 seconds on ESPN will dim a good
bit - at least that's the way I'd be thinking if I were a UPA leader
and concerned with risk management at all. It'd be entirely different
if we had a more regular sport with 1 or maybe 2 games in a day, but
that's not the way things are (if it were, or were for some smaller
portion of the top teams, then I think this whole idea would be a lot
more appealing...).

Summer leagues are another issue: I strongly suspect many players will
not want / be able to give the time to both summer league goings-on as
well as club preparation.

As on old club player, I happen to really like the fall schedule b/c I
know so well the experience of bigger games coming with the change of
the weather, but I realize this isn't necessarily a good reason to
avoid change. A little bit earlier - say, nationals when regionals are
now (while not addressing the reasonable travel & work complaints
associated with the fall), might do the job of opening up more
potential nationals sites -- and I would like not to go to Sarasota
every year; it was more fun and more memorable when nationals moved
around.

rhb

Jul 26, 2007, 9:20:33 PM7/26/07
On Jul 26, 7:28 pm, degnanNOS...@gmail.com wrote:
> 5) International events.
> WUGC & WUCC typically take place in the summer (for us Northern
> Hemispherians, sorry mate). Fitting these in around the UPA Series
> would be a disaster (see: 2006 WUCC).

> degs

WUCC was held after the UPA Series, by a week or two I'm not sure of
the exact dates because I attended neither. But, moving up the series
would have prevented the scheduling conflict.

7) is pretty weak also. Don't fear change degs.

I am for having the series in early august for the reasons made by
the first poster.

a.willi...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2007, 9:50:07 PM7/26/07
Quite a few well-reasoned responses, many with objections that I
hadn't thought of. The club season would probably be somewhat
condensed, many tournaments with long traditions would have to be
moved around, and college series players wouldn't have as much time to
rest before launching into another season. All good points.

A couple of the objections weren't as well supported. I don't think
that moving the UPA series out of October will mean that there will no
longer be ultimate tournaments in October; I'm dubious of the claim
that it would make developing a college team in the fall that much
harder. Also, I would think college players might prefer a club season
over their summer break rather than in the middle of a semester.

It's also problematic to simultaneously argue that it's too hot to
play ultimate and that there are other ultimate tournaments going on.
The second argument kinda refutes the first, doesn't it?

Also, on ultimate not being able to compete with the NFL and MLB: I
agree completely. But that's sort of the point. Ultimate obviously
can't compete with them right now, so it makes sense to try to
schedule yourself into the period of the year where you don't have to,
right? And while 10 seconds on Sportscenter is easy to make light of,
15 million eyes would do a lot, especially during a time of the year
when people are craving some sort of sport. Logistically, it would
take a while to adjust to, but in my eyes it's something that would
have to happen eventually if ultimate were to become a major sport.

Having read through the responses, I'm beginning to see this idea as
something that might take shape a ways into the future. A gradual
transition could be brought about so as not to shake anything up too
much at once. If ultimate grows enough, the college aspect would
become less of an issue, as teams wouldn't have to rely on college
players as much. Also, colleges being out of session in the summer
might lend itself to some good locations for tournaments. In warmer
places , tournaments could be held under the lights in order to escape
the midday heat.

Thanks for the responses...

Hotpants

Jul 26, 2007, 10:07:50 PM7/26/07
On Jul 26, 8:50 pm, a.william.di...@gmail.com wrote:
.

> It's also problematic to simultaneously argue that it's too hot to
> play ultimate and that there are other ultimate tournaments going on.
> The second argument kinda refutes the first, doesn't it?

I heard the UPA said they would never host nationals again in Texas
during May because it was too hot. This info may be wrong though.
Playing the series in July/August would make the southern teams play
some important games in pretty extreme conditions. I guess the rest
of the country doesn't care about that but, it would really suck if
you live in the south. Playing sectionals/regionals at night isnt an
option.

Not that I think the argument as a whole is bad, it has a lot of
merit. But I agree with the guy who said we shouldn't be competing
with baseball/football. If growth is really an issue IMO we should
have volleyball, lacrosse, and rollerhockey in our sights.

-jonathan

IrishZag

Jul 26, 2007, 10:52:13 PM7/26/07
Changing our entire season calendar based on the premise of getting
some additional exposure on ESPN is way off target of the UPA
strategy.

We are no where near the level that we can get any kind of consistent
press on ESPN. Major League Soccer and Major League Lacrosse are in
the peak of their seasons yet they are lucky to get one or two
highlights a week on television. These are two leagues that have
contracts with ESPN, and still struggle to get exposure via
Sportscenter. These two sports have struggled for years to attain the
level of exposure that they have now. Both Soccer and Lacrosse have
invested a ton into developing their games at the youth level. Their
growth over the past 10 - 20 years has been incredible and has turned
into a formidable audience for media to target and they still get
extraordinarily limited exposure.

The UPA really only aggressively started building a structure for
youth Ultimate in the last 2 to 3 years. We are light-years away from
these sports.

What interest does ESPN have in showing a purely amateur sport played
by 100,000 people around the country? We're not going to compete with
a baseball highlight even on the slowest day of the year. We are lucky
if we could compete with a competitive eating highlight.

If you want to see this sport succeed in the long run, take a tip from
sports who are making it happen in this country and build a program
from the ground up.

Adam Tarr

Jul 27, 2007, 12:26:30 AM7/27/07
I agree with all of this and what Degs said. I am surprised by how
much traction this idea has, even in this meaningless sample of
rec.sport.disc posters.

I simply don't like the idea of artificially compressing the season.
My club team started having practices basically as soon as the weather
was nice enough to do so. We have just now gotten our roster more or
less hammered down, and guess what: now is the time we have to start
doing rosters. The flow of the current season works very well for my
team, and, I think, most other club teams as well.

Turning the season into a sprint in the hopes of getting a little more
exposure seems like a step backwards to me. The UPA has the right
idea by building from the ground up. When we have a really robust
juniors infrastructure and tiered club divisions, then we can start
talking about this.

Ryan Kircher

Jul 27, 2007, 1:22:18 AM7/27/07
I like the idea.

I have been on more than one club team that takes at least a month off
during the summer. I don't think you are really 'compressing' the
season much.

The US is a big country. The weather isn't the same everywhere.
There is not good time to hold the series. Somebody's gonna have
crappy weather somewhere, and southerns play just as much ultimate in
the summer as everybody else.

You can only space out the club series and college series so much,
everybody has winter.

I think Labor Day would be a good target. Makes traveling a lot
easier for people.

Another key point is that by ending the club series 6 weeks earlier,
you can start Drinking Season 6 weeks earlier.

Aaron

Jul 27, 2007, 1:22:59 AM7/27/07
We'd see most of the same benefits without the negatives by moving the
championships to early\mid September.

degnan...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2007, 2:15:34 AM7/27/07
On Jul 26, 7:20 pm, rhb <big...@ku.edu> wrote:

> WUCC was held after the UPA Series, by a week or two I'm not sure of
> the exact dates because I attended neither. But, moving up the series
> would have prevented the scheduling conflict.

This past WUCC was the exception -- not the rule.

> 7) is pretty weak also. Don't fear change degs.

Yeah, 7 was more of a joke.

DeafDawg

Jul 27, 2007, 2:19:51 AM7/27/07
Yo Tarr, say robust again. Come on. I dare ya. Enough robust. Feel
free to mix in palaver or banal at any time.

TimD.

On Jul 26, 10:26 pm, Adam Tarr <ahtarrNOS...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > from the ground up.- Hide quoted text -

DeafDawg

Jul 27, 2007, 2:22:34 AM7/27/07
Kircher/Lamar,

Come to Forest Room 5 on Sat. at 9pm. For sack wackings & Spider Pig
impersonations. I tried you here since apparently your other emails
don't work. Vis a vis, your an idiot.

TimD.

rhb

Jul 27, 2007, 4:37:51 AM7/27/07
On Jul 26, 9:07 pm, Hotpants <Dorty1...@AOL.com> wrote:

> I heard the UPA said they would never host nationals again in Texas
> during May because it was too hot. This info may be wrong though.
> Playing the series in July/August would make the southern teams play
> some important games in pretty extreme conditions.

> -jonathan

yeah but, one of the sickest plays in ultimate history came out of
that fateful semifinal match of college nationals.( see Chase S-B and
Seth Wiggins, the Catch) Plus us south Texaners are used to the
humidity and the heat. I'm sure you practice in this shit weekly. what
would be the difference in competing? rhb.

Bert

Jul 27, 2007, 8:35:59 AM7/27/07
This may be a really simple suggestion...

... but what if someone (either the UPA or a veteran TD) held a Mid-
Season Invitational, sort of like the PGA Championship in this dead
time of sports to get some coverage? This makes the regular series
more of the US Open where anyone could qualify.

The Mid-Season Invitational would be by invite so that the top 16, 24,
36 teams would be invited, which also leaves it up to a variety of
formats, like pool play, double elimination or even (my favorite) a 64-
team NCAA type knockout bracket. Determining how the invitations are
allocated is a whole other can of worms.

I know that the Mid-Season Invitational would most likely be tougher
to win and there might be an argument to have it in October, but I
feel as though winning the UPA Championships will always be the most
coveted prize.

Adam

Duchamanos

Jul 27, 2007, 9:21:34 AM7/27/07
Sure, Lacrosse and Soccer have contracts, but their highlights appear
pretty dull. 'Specially Lacrosse. Where-as Ultimate highlights have
people flying through the air (like baseball layout catches, but more
spectacular looking in my opinion) and good solid D's (a smoting that
satisfies America's lust for violence). Plus, Lacrosse and Soccer
players seem to dick around the field alot, while sportsfans around
here prefer to see sharp, purposeful fast action (football routes,
players sprinting to the bases, the quick movement of a pitch, etc.)
like cuts in Ultimate.

Uh... Karl Doege was the first player to use a stick in lacrosse.
Until him, they'd just been using lengths of bufalo leather that did
not work very well.

Jackson

Jul 27, 2007, 10:42:14 AM7/27/07
On Jul 26, 8:28 pm, degnanNOS...@gmail.com wrote:
> But if we compress the season there will be negative
> effects in the April-June time frame. I can't tell you what kind of
> stranglehold soccer already has on the fields around here.

I'm not familiar with the Soccer season in Colorado, but here in New
Jersey it runs in the fall and starts up in Semptember; right when
club sectionals start. We are also oppressed by the soccer
stranglehold, so that makes getting fields for sectionals somewhat
difficult.

I've been told by a few parks commisioners that I should consider
recommending to our governing organization (the UPA) that sectionals
be held at the end of August, where it wouldn't conflict with soccer
season.

Again, I'm not sure when soccer or other field sports have their
seasons in other parts of the country, so I'm not sure how moving the
series would affect them.

Paul

Jul 27, 2007, 11:04:22 AM7/27/07
This is the same situation in the St. Louis area. We have recently
tried to schedule sectionals in St. Louis, but every single field
complex is occupied by youth soccer in September.

The field space issue is the most compelling reason to move the UPA
series calendar.

thefan

Jul 27, 2007, 11:59:08 AM7/27/07
In order to avoid problems of participation and burnout for college
players, perhaps the college season could be moved as well. Make the
fall a bigger part of college ultimate, allow it to roll into the
spring and move College nationals forward by a month to 6 weeks, so
that it actually happens during college.

this gives the benefit of avoiding some conflict with soccer. teams
from the north might actually gain college practice time by creating a
season that spans both semesters. still problems with the heat, but
teams in the south already practice and play tournaments in it now.
and giving Club Championships the possibility of moving to different
locations is certainly not a bad thing.

the idea has some pretty good merit. the arguments against are pretty
good too.

Joa'quine (Joaq)

Jul 27, 2007, 2:59:24 PM7/27/07
On Jul 27, 5:35 am, Bert <acr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be a really simple suggestion...
>
> ... but what if someone (either the UPA or a veteran TD) held a Mid-
> Season Invitational, sort of like the PGA Championship in this dead
> time of sports to get some coverage? This makes the regular series
> more of the US Open where anyone could qualify.

Um, ECC. It's already expanding, and has all the quarters teams from
last year plus Jam and the Buzz Bullets.

degnan...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2007, 3:10:12 PM7/27/07

Bingo. Isn't it even the Patagonia Emerald City Classic? When's the
last time a UPA event had a title sponsor? 1999 Jockey Nationals I
think?

Fetch

Jul 27, 2007, 7:49:41 PM7/27/07
If the only purpose is to serve ESPN then I don't really care to have
it now.

I want to play all summer and maybe even travel in July and come back
to the second half of the season. It's fine. That's l ike putting
the cart before the horse. Keep educating the youth about Ultimate
and none of this will even be discussed.

Dan

Jul 27, 2007, 9:31:27 PM7/27/07
On Jul 28, 1:59 am, thefan <jimmyholtz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In order to avoid problems of participation and burnout for college
> players, perhaps the college season could be moved as well. Make the
> fall a bigger part of college ultimate, allow it to roll into the
> spring and move College nationals forward by a month to 6 weeks, so
> that it actually happens during college.

With so much talk about the hot weather down south I find it
appropriate to point out that if we moved the college series up by a
month many schools in the north will have absolutely no practice time
outdoors before the series and sections/regions would be held in 35
degree temps with a high possibility of snow. My college team in
northern wisconsin (along with the surrounding schools without field
houses) are still practicing in tennis shoes in a gym for two more
weeks at this point in the season. Schools such as these may have
little chance of making natties or ever getting name cred within the
ultiamte community, but its the Wisconsin and Minnesota smaller
schools that filled out Sectionals and Regionals for last years
National Champions.

ulticritic

Jul 28, 2007, 9:28:54 AM7/28/07

so move the college series to the fall

Joa'quine (Joaq)

Jul 28, 2007, 7:01:49 PM7/28/07
On Jul 28, 6:28 am, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> so move the college series to the fall

That can't work until there is a strong base of recruits coming out of
high school. Right now schools need the fall to recruit players and
develop the kids (why am I responding to this guy?).

Larry D. Hols

Jul 29, 2007, 2:41:04 AM7/29/07
Hallo,

In article <1185663709....@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

"Joa'quine (Joaq)" <joa...@gmail.com> wrote:

(why am I responding to this guy?).

A momentary lapse of reason?

Larry

mapler...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2007, 5:19:34 AM7/29/07
On Jul 26, 5:52 pm, a.william.di...@gmail.com wrote:
> Right now, Sportscenter is regularly running clips from Major League
> Lacrosse in its Top 10 Plays of the Day segment. I could be wrong, but
> I don't think this is sign of lacrosse's ascendancy to a major fan
> sport. It's because the only thing going on right now is baseball (and
> even MLB is arguably going through the dullest stretch of the season).
> July is a dead zone for professional sports.
>
> Admittedly, I don't know much about the logic behind holding holding
> the UPA club championship in late October (to separate it from the
> college championship, maybe?). However, if the UPA is serious about
> growing the sport and gaining some national attention, late October is
> one of the worst times to hold a championship: baseball is holding the
> World Series, the NFL is in full swing, many of the big college
> football rivalries are going down, and the NBA and NHL are kicking off
> their seasons.
>
> Perhaps there's an obvious flaw in this idea that I'm overlooking, and
> maybe this has been discussed before, but why not have the UPA
> Championship in July or August? There would infinitely more
> opportunity for coverage, and you could rotate the location instead
> of having to hold it in Saratoga every year.
why not just move coed and masters to summer and leave men's and
women's in the Fall?

MJ

ulticritic

Jul 29, 2007, 12:14:58 PM7/29/07
On Jul 29, 5:19 am, maplerowf...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:52 pm, a.william.di...@gmail.com wrote:.
> MJ- Hide quoted text -

Just to chime in. Getting a summertime elite series that could take
advantage of the summertime sports entertainment lull (post nba
playoffs....pre nfl pre season) WAS the stratagy of MLU. Not that it
would immediatly fill any of the tv network timeslots, but once it
became established it would be poised to fill the demand that sports
fans have for sports entertainment during that time period. obviously
things didnt pan out with MLU.......which isnt really the point of
this post.

I was just gonna inform those that most lay people believe frisbee
related activities to be a summertime thing.....and not only that but,
unbeknownst to most, this belief is being reenforced to the youth of
america as we speak. For those that have kids that watch cartoons
(specifically the boomarang network) you may have noticed a promo
trailor in which they are running on a regular basis that has clips of
the various cartoons that they feature that are intertwined with
summertime activities that kids participate in. Those clips show
kids, playing in pools, playing soccer, skateboarding, surfing AND
(whod a thought) playing ultimate. There are two short clips......one
of a red headed girl heaving a big backhand huck followed by a black
boy (which ironically is the only person of color in the whole
trailor.......ironic because ultimate is such a white boy sport) going
for a nice horizontal layout catch.

I'm not sure moving the upa series to the summer is the answer
though. That series is controled by the upa which will not attempt to
deal with entertainment value shortcomings due to the stuborn,
traditionalist, spirtitzealot stlye delivery of the actual
presentation. Those people at upa headquarters are just too sold on
the notion that the present player initiated and controled rules
process IS whats gonna get ultimates foot in the door in the sports
entertainment industry......and as long as the cling to that statagy
it wont matter what time of year they hold their major event(s), still
aint nobody gonna watch it.

ulticritic

Jul 29, 2007, 12:30:05 PM7/29/07
On Jul 28, 7:01 pm, "Joa'quine (Joaq)" <joaq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 6:28 am, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:.

> > so move the college series to the fall
>
> That can't work until there is a strong base of recruits coming out of
> high school. Right now schools need the fall to recruit players and
> develop the kids (why am I responding to this guy?).

What makes you the expert on what can or cant work untill this that or
the other. Arent there a growing # of fall time college events
nowadays. And whose to say you cant recruit in the spring time as
well. At least this way there isnt any argument of who has more or
less preperation time prior to nationals as most schools start in mid
august........and climatic differences are more of a non issue.
Either way, i guess we will all just sit tight and wait for YOUR
approval and consent as to when such a transition takes place there
nostradomos.

and larry........why dont you go suck ass you wanna-be, never played
competitive ultimate, mediocre prick

reggieh...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2007, 4:01:06 PM7/29/07
That wasn't very nice.

Don't kill threads.

Besides, we recruit a lot of players that don't know what ultimate is.
College Freshman are at their most gullible and willing to join new
things in the first few weeks. So we can trick them into joining our
team and getting them hooked. IF we wait til fall, they will be on
club swimming, or model UN etc.

We don't even try to compete much in fall. but make two even teams so
new guys can play with experienced guys to keep them from getting
frustrated. Teams aren't going to want to do this if they know
sectionals is in fall.

That's my two cents, but I'm pretty mediocre. (Not a suck-ass)
whatever that means.

Sorry to RSD if this posts twice, google thinks I'm a spammer.

Joa'quine (Joaq)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:48:47 AM7/30/07
On Jul 29, 9:30 am, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> What makes you the expert on what can or cant work untill this that or
> the other. Arent there a growing # of fall time college events
> nowadays. And whose to say you cant recruit in the spring time as
> well. At least this way there isnt any argument of who has more or
> less preperation time prior to nationals as most schools start in mid
> august........and climatic differences are more of a non issue.
> Either way, i guess we will all just sit tight and wait for YOUR
> approval and consent as to when such a transition takes place there
> nostradomos.

Well, I wouldn't say that I can tell you wen it would work, but as a
captain of a college team at a smaller school last year, I can tell
you that it wouldn't work now. There are other reasons that a fall
college series wouldn't work. Because of study abroad programs, it's
easier to have the series in the spring. Also, It would be unwise to
have the weather getting worse, and daylight hours getting shorter as
the series progresses, it would cut down on practice time for all
schools. Last thing, I think that letting teams have all year to
progress before the series enhances the level of Ultimate that's being
played come time for nationals.

Word.

Miyagi

Jul 30, 2007, 9:47:33 AM7/30/07

I mean, I love ultimate and all - but shit talking Lacrosse
highlights is just ignorant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl2ANYtUpc

BMaster

Jul 30, 2007, 10:40:51 AM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 8:47 am, Miyagi <justin.michal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean, I love ultimate and all - but shit talking Lacrosse
> highlights is just ignorant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl2ANYtUpc

The fact that that is legal is what makes Lacrosse a joke of a sport.
If that happened off the field, it's called assault. As long as
Ultimate doesn't create rules that circumvent the law, it will appeal
to an intelligent audience.

ulticritic

Jul 30, 2007, 12:09:35 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 10:40 am, BMaster <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 8:47 am, Miyagi <justin.michal...@gmail.com> wrote:.

> > I mean, I love ultimate and all - but shit talking Lacrosse
> > highlights is just ignorant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl2ANYtUpc
>
> The fact that that is legal is what makes Lacrosse a joke of a sport.
> If that happened off the field, it's called assault. As long as
> Ultimate doesn't create rules that circumvent the law, it will appeal
> to an intelligent audience.

an "intelligent andience"??????? thats kind of discimitive isnt it?
I guess hockey fans are a bunch of dumbasses too because they enjoy
the fighting aspect of hockey. If anything shit talking enhances the
entertainment value of competition. Both larry bird and mj were know
to be huge shit talkers.......probably elevated the level of intensity
and performance for both of em......yet i never knew of them to be
labled as poor sports or even unspirited. This is yet another area in
which ultimate is just missing the boat when it comes to understanding
what it takes to make it in the sports entertainment industry.
Saddly, due to your emotional attatchment, you dont realize that to
the rest of the sporting world ultimate is THE # 1 joke of a sport,
and where as you claim their (laxs') audience is
unintelligent.......all i have to say is......at least they have an
audience.

ulticritic

Jul 30, 2007, 12:12:55 PM7/30/07
On Jul 29, 12:14 pm, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> On Jul 29, 5:19 am, maplerowf...@gmail.com wrote:.
> aint nobody gonna watch it.- Hide quoted text -

oops

BMaster

Jul 30, 2007, 1:37:27 PM7/30/07
You missed my point, and I am well aware that Ultimate is a joke to
the rest of the world, sporting and otherwise. When people say, "Have
fun at your little frisbee thing" it becomes quite apparent.

ulticritic

Jul 30, 2007, 2:24:16 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 1:37 pm, BMaster <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You missed my point, and I am well aware that Ultimate is a joke to
> the rest of the world, sporting and otherwise.

then why are you ragging on lax and calling it "a joke of a
sport"......because they trash talk?........because its a contact
sport and one is allowed to knock the fuck out of their opponent (as
is the case in football as well)? what, in fact, IS your point?

When people say, "Have
> fun at your little frisbee thing" it becomes quite apparent.

so again if you are aware of the "joke of a sport" image ultimate has
created for itself, then why would you slam lax, or the audience that
frequents it?

socc...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2007, 4:02:29 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 2:24 pm, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:

> so again if you are aware of the "joke of a sport" image ultimate has
> created for itself, then why would you slam lax, or the audience that
> frequents it?

Because "lax" is one of the most retarded abbreviations ever. That's
like calling it ultim8 fris, then having a picture of a bee.
Whatever. You get the point. Ultim8 frisB. Stupid.

Ultimate should not change a good system (club in the fall, college in
the spring) in order to accomidate potential viewers. We play for
ourselves, not a mass audience, and it should be designed to make it
as good as possible for the players, not whoever might catch a single
ultimate highlight on the George Michaels Sports Machine.

ulticritic

Jul 30, 2007, 7:09:27 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 4:02 pm, soccrG...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2:24 pm, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:.

> > so again if you are aware of the "joke of a sport" image ultimate has
> > created for itself, then why would you slam lax, or the audience that
> > frequents it?
>
> Because "lax" is one of the most retarded abbreviations ever. That's
> like calling it ultim8 fris, then having a picture of a bee.
> Whatever. You get the point. Ultim8 frisB. Stupid.

ultim8......not bad. Although i'd go with a hyphen.....ultim-8.
Thing is, at least one knows what the fuck another is talking about
when using the word lax (in sports terms). Isnt there wide critisism
of the name "ultimate" being even more retarted......... by those that
play it at that. To which even some that was retarted would have
understood that that wasnt BMasters point......Ya stupe.

> Ultimate should not change a good system (club in the fall, college in
> the spring) in order to accomidate potential viewers. We play for
> ourselves, not a mass audience, and it should be designed to make it
> as good as possible for the players, not whoever might catch a single
> ultimate highlight on the George Michaels Sports Machine.

see now that where the paradox of ultimate lies. So many doing so
much to get joe publics approval. 68% (and thats the verbal majority)
displeased with the reality of how ultimate is percieved by
outsiders.......yet only about 16% willing to make the proper
concessions to change that perception. So keep the game to yourself
there cockr-G........just dont you or your fellow ulti-mates go
spoutin off how ultimate could/would/should be such a great spectator
sport.

socc...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2007, 11:11:50 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 7:09 pm, ulticritic <t...@ec.rr.com> wrote:

> ultim8......not bad. Although i'd go with a hyphen.....ultim-8.
> Thing is, at least one knows what the fuck another is talking about
> when using the word lax (in sports terms). Isnt there wide critisism
> of the name "ultimate" being even more retarted......... by those that
> play it at that. To which even some that was retarted would have
> understood that that wasnt BMasters point......Ya stupe.

Many things here. First, I didn't say lax was confusing, just
stupid. Second, nice job calling someone "retarted." Anyone else a
fan of irony here? And satire...satire...satire...no one seems to get
it these days.

> > Ultimate should not change a good system (club in the fall, college in
> > the spring) in order to accomidate potential viewers. We play for
> > ourselves, not a mass audience, and it should be designed to make it
> > as good as possible for the players, not whoever might catch a single
> > ultimate highlight on the George Michaels Sports Machine.
>
> see now that where the paradox of ultimate lies. So many doing so
> much to get joe publics approval. 68% (and thats the verbal majority)
> displeased with the reality of how ultimate is percieved by
> outsiders.......yet only about 16% willing to make the proper
> concessions to change that perception. So keep the game to yourself
> there cockr-G........just dont you or your fellow ulti-mates go
> spoutin off how ultimate could/would/should be such a great spectator
> sport.

I'm just curious here, when did I say ultimate could/would/should be
such a great spectator sport? Brilliant move there, clumping me in
with a 68% majority when I've said nothing to agree with that
majority. That's a great way to refute an argument...by personal
attacks and generalized statements that don't apply. Really holds up
against scrutiny.
Sorry, I'll stop the "critisism" now.