Contract sports, from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_sport

Frank Huguenard

Oct 22, 2007, 11:38:07 AM10/22/07

Adam Tarr

Oct 22, 2007, 12:01:38 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 9:38 am, "Frank Huguenard"

<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Pretty cut and dry:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_sport

go ahead and search "non-contact" in the following links:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/basketball/basics.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/basketball/sport_guide/default.stm
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=2-3553-0-0-0&sID=44007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/basketball/disability/newsid_3499000/3499528.stm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/us_sport/article1931762.ece
http://www.societies.ncl.ac.uk/womensbasketball/safetypolicy.htm
http://conscomm.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html

I could give you another dozen if you want. And I consciously avoided
blogs, forums, or user-editable content here.

Again, it is just a definition. There are alternate definitions, but
both basketball and ultimate are non-contact sports according to a
common definition.

Frank Huguenard

Oct 22, 2007, 12:01:05 PM10/22/07
According to the UPA, Adam Tarr, Mike Gerics and most the rest of you
goofballs, the first sentence reads like this:

A contact sport is a sport which includes significant physical contact
between the athletes involved. Examples of contacts sports are: Rugby
football, American football, Ice Hockey, Australian Rules Football, Lacrosse
and Amateur wrestling. Examples of non-contact sports are: Table Tennis,
Badminton and Ultimate Frisbee.

How funny is that?

Would you like that on the rocks? Or straight up?

"Frank Huguenard" <fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

ultimate7

Oct 22, 2007, 12:07:34 PM10/22/07
I've seen badminton matches where the players came into contact with
each other.
I wonder if their rules are also based on a lie and a bad assumption

On Oct 22, 11:01 am, "Frank Huguenard"

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_sport- Hide quoted text -

disc...@yahoo.com

Oct 22, 2007, 12:12:20 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 12:01 pm, "Frank Huguenard"

<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> According to the UPA, Adam Tarr, Mike Gerics and most the rest of you
> goofballs

I'm done.

"Just don't look."

BDR 529

Oct 22, 2007, 12:20:32 PM10/22/07
According to Wikipedia, apparently an authoritative source, a goofball
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goofball) is a barbiturate.

According to you, the first sentence reads like this:

The UPA, Adam Tarr, Mike Gerics and most the [sic] rest of you are
drugs that act as central nervous system depressants, and by virtue of
this they produce a wide spectrum of effects, from mild sedation to
anesthesia.

How funny is that?

Would you like that shaken? Or stirred?

On Oct 22, 11:01 am, "Frank Huguenard"

Frank Huguenard

Oct 22, 2007, 1:30:47 PM10/22/07
That's really funny.

well done.

"BDR 529" <afakea...@myway.com> wrote in message

Frank Huguenard

Oct 22, 2007, 1:35:09 PM10/22/07

> Again, it is just a definition. There are alternate definitions, but
> both basketball and ultimate are non-contact sports according to a
> common definition.

Again, basketball isn't self-defining by the governing body to be
non-contact and basketball has a rational system for managing and metering
the contact that happens.

Ultimate's original method for preventing contact was to label the sport
that way and hope for the best.

That's a bit fanciful, don't you think?

Without getting caught up in what a contact sport is or isn't, can you at
least acknowledge the underlying issue, which is that the sport was labeled
something as a way of attempting to control behavior.

Adam Tarr

Oct 22, 2007, 2:34:11 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 11:35 am, "Frank Huguenard"

<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Again, it is just a definition. There are alternate definitions, but
> > both basketball and ultimate are non-contact sports according to a
> > common definition.
>
> Again, basketball isn't self-defining by the governing body to be
> non-contact

Oh, good point. Oh, wait, no, you're wrong.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/baskBasi/p/openNodeIDs/926/selNodeID/926/basiRule.html

</pwnage>

> and basketball has a rational system for managing and metering
> the contact that happens.

Agreed, however, IMO so does ultimate. Not-incidentally, you will
notice a lot of the same sorts of phraseology in the contact section
of the official basketball rules (http://www.basketball.bc.ca/PDF/
OfficialFIBARules.pdf) as you will in the rules of ultimate.

> Ultimate's original method for preventing contact was to label the sport
> that way and hope for the best.
>
> That's a bit fanciful, don't you think?

Insofar as that is true (I don't know and I'm not going to argue with
you on this point), yes, it is unrealistic. But the current rules
exist in a logical framework.

> Without getting caught up in what a contact sport is or isn't,

Hahahahaha.

Yes.

Let's not get "caught up" in that. Let's not post a dozen different
posts to rsd in the last year where we claim that it is unfounded and
irrational to call ultimate a non-contact sport. Let's not get
"caught up" in accusing others of drinking the Kool-Aid when they
claim that it is an acceptable definition. Let's not get "caught up"
in all that. That would be so childish and pointless. Thank you for
pointing that out to me.

I'm happy to not get "caught up" in it, just as long as you are
willing to give up the ghost on this crusade against the phrase "non-
contact". It's semantics. Get over it.

> can you at
> least acknowledge the underlying issue, which is that the sport was labeled
> something as a way of attempting to control behavior.

No, I'm not acknowledging that, because I don't know whether that's
true, and I don't care or see the relevance of it. I'm not interested
in the evolution of the rules. I am interested in how they are
written and how they are iterpreted today, in the present.

Bbuck

Oct 22, 2007, 2:56:58 PM10/22/07
Frank your just like a stright edge kid your life is defined by the
thing you hate most.

Jared Smith

Oct 22, 2007, 4:25:00 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 2:56 pm, Bbuck <walrusultim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank your just like a stright edge kid your life is defined by the
> thing you hate most.

Just to play the semantic game a little, Frank. How would you feel
about saying that ultimate is a semi-contact sport? I assume you read
more than the first line of the wikipedia article you cite as
undeniable proof that ultimate is a contact sport? But wouldn't it
fall better under semi-contact where contact is allowed but
controlled. How would it change your arguments if ultimate were truly
a semi-contact sport labeled as non-contact? Does that mean we have
one training wheel on? Or maybe we're drinking tang instead? Or that
gatorade mix that I always mess up the proportions on?

qualit...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2007, 4:27:34 PM10/22/07
Way to cite Wikipedia . . . . Only the most respectable sources used
here.

Knappy

Oct 22, 2007, 5:25:07 PM10/22/07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Naismith

In 1891, while working as a physical education teacher at the YMCA
International Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts, Naismith
was asked to make a game that would not take up much room, was not too
rough, and at the same time, could be played indoors. He had no idea
he would invent what would become the most popular indoor sport in the
United States.

Inspired by a game he played as a child in Canada called "Duck on a
Rock," Naismith's game started December 15, 1891 with thirteen rules
(modified versions of twelve of those are still used today), a peach
basket nailed to either end of the school's gymnasium, and two teams
of nine players. On January 15, 1892 Naismith published the rules for
basketball. The original rules did not include what is known today as
the dribble. They initially only allowed the ball to be moved up the
court via a pass. Following each "goal" a jump ball was taken in the
middle of the court. Although it was not a rule, players would
commonly use the dust of coal to cover the palms of their hands,
allowing them to get a better grip on the ball. The coal palm was used
up until the early 1930s. Also interesting was the rule concerning
balls out of bounds - the first player to retrieve the ball received
possession.

Mike Gerics

Oct 22, 2007, 8:58:55 PM10/22/07

> According to the UPA, Adam Tarr, Mike Gerics and most the rest of you
> goofballs, the first sentence reads like this:
>
> A contact sport is a sport which includes significant physical contact
> between the athletes involved. Examples of contacts sports are: Rugby
> football, American football, Ice Hockey, Australian Rules Football,
> Lacrosse and Amateur wrestling. Examples of non-contact sports are: Table
> Tennis, Badminton and Ultimate Frisbee.
>
> How funny is that?
>
> Would you like that on the rocks? Or straight up?

2 things....
1---wikipedia?
and....
2---ultimate frisbee is non-contact.....yes....as i have said.